Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

yamo123x

Despite a couple of really stand out performances, he has been a weak link for us in so many games.., many moan about his lack of contribution going forward, but defensively he is suspect, in particular positionally. His trademark slide tackles are almost always to make up for his poor positioning or decision making. The penalty yesterday was just a bad decision but i dont judge him on that, my judgement is based on watching him in every game since he signed.

He is no right wing back either.

We massively overpaid for him too, but isnt that just the UTD way.

He is young and if properly coached he could improve, lets be honest he was never going to improve under Ole and staff, but the jury is out for me.

KingCavani

He has been deceiving people for a while due to his last ditch tackles and ability to mark pacey wingers out of the game occasionally. I recall RB targeting him. I doubt he will get much better and has too many weaknesses to be top level. He was a lazy signing at £50 mill and one EPL season under his belt. Do our scouts actually study players?
Him and Maguire were the definition of lazy signings. I remember the pundits praising the change of direction too…

The got burned with Bailly, Lindelof and Fred and basically gave up looking for high risk/high ceiling talents on the continent. Instead they looked for players who had been found/developed by other PL clubs.

Ironically those three now look better than the sure things that Maguire and AWB were supposed to be.

JeffFromHK

The way he dribbles or passes the ball is so smallingsque, not very eye appealling

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
For some reason we've made him the out ball this season when common sense dictates he's the last player we should be doing that with.
This may be because opposing teams are leaving him open (in the knowledge he has little in his locker to hurt them) while pressing everyone else.

Still I can recall times when Bruno, Pogba or whoever has looked up, seen him in acres of space over on the right, and still elected to turn back and play it elsewhere.

devilo

...many moan about his lack of contribution going forward, but defensively he is suspect, in particular positionally.
This. Nowhere near Rudiger for his game winning chance late on. Could you imagine if that had gone in?

Marwood

This may be because opposing teams are leaving him open (in the knowledge he has little in his locker to hurt them) while pressing everyone else.

Still I can recall times when Bruno, Pogba or whoever has looked up, seen him in acres of space over on the right, and still elected to turn back and play it elsewhere.
That's a bit of a myth, he has no more time or space than anybody else. If anything we have a habit of playing it to him when he's under real pressure.

It's a consequence of how we play, slow, backwards, side to side. The fullbacks end up being relied on way too much.

Long Time Red

That's a bit of a myth, he has no more time or space than anybody else. If anything we have a habit of playing it to him when he's under real pressure.

It's a consequence of how we play, slow, backwards, side to side. The fullbacks end up being relied on way too much.
Doesn't exactly help that our plan to play out from the back seems to have been " be brave, play forward, express yourself lads".

It also doesn't help when he looks into midfield he has McTominay and Fred to pass to. Kyle Walker by comparison will usually have Rodri, De Bruyne or any number of world class midfielders ready to take the ball off of him.

Wan-Bissaka and Shaw have been hung out to dry with shoddy coaching, no apparent plan on how to play out and poor midfielders. I'm not sure any world class full back would look much better.

Last edited:

Marwood

Doesn't exactly help that our plan to play out from the back seems to have been " be brave, play forward, express yourself lads".

It also doesn't help when he looks into midfield he has McTominay and Fred to pass to. Kyle Walker by comparison will usually have Rodri, De Bruyne or any number of world class midfielders ready to take the ball off of him.

Wan-Bissaka and Shaw have been hung out to dry with shoddy coaching, no apparent plan on how to play out and poor midfielders. I'm not sure any world class midfielder would look much better.
Yeah agree. AwB might never be good enough but whoever is right back will struggle in this team. We've got midfielders and maybe even the forwards shelving their responsibilities onto AWB and Shaw. Some of the situations we play the two of them into are crazy.

Oranges038

Maybe not but there's a tendency to think because he's a bit clumsy in some aspects he's crap at everything on the ball . Which I disagree with. His first touch, dealing with it under pressure, working a bit of space is all good enough.
Here's a video of him at Palace. Is there a 50m right back in there? I don't see it.

Here's one not long after he joined Utd. Does he look like he was worth 50m?

Having watched him for 2 years after that friendly, that first video at Palace is what we see every week from him. Nothing has changed in his game.

He is only good at slide tackles. Basic technical ability on the ball just isn't good enough, nothing he does is clean everything he does is scruffy looking to the point where it looks like he has no control over the ball. His passing is almost always bobbly he can barely play a solid crisp 5 yard pass without the ball leaving the ground, that doesn't even take into account that he needs 4 or 5 touches to decide what he's going to do with the ball. Dribbling, the ball just gets caught under his feet, he can't even do that without the ball bobbling all over the place, it almost looks like he forgets that the ball is down there sometimes. That thing he does, where he rolls the ball under his foot and comes back inside instead of trying to get a cross in, is probably one of his most annoying traits. Technically, he is just a truly awful footballer and he is not good enough on the ball to be at Man Utd.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
what is wrong with him? His defending has detoriated big time
Unexperienced players like him always need direction. Almost every of our players stagnating and doesn't learn anything new and I'm not even defending Bissaka. He might aswell be sold, benched or loaned. It's just whole team run on the pitch like bunch of headless chicken.

Declining to current level is still worrying though.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Unexperienced players like him always need direction. Almost every of our players stagnating and doesn't learn anything new and I'm not even defending Bissaka. He might aswell be sold, benched or loaned. It's just whole team run on the pitch like bunch of headless chicken.

Declining to current level is still worrying though.
He just is in such poor form. I'm not convinced its just down to coaching.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He just is in such poor form. I'm not convinced its just down to coaching.
It's not only coaching indeed. He doesn't even know how to win and what hard work needs to be done in order to compete, it's the problem of whole fdootball club at the moment.

If he's really that bad and offers nothing, somebody needs to take responsibility for bringing him here besides Solskjaer. Pinning everything on Ole always felt like another solution offered to created problem in the first place.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He is young and if properly coached he could improve, lets be honest he was never going to improve under Ole and staff, but the jury is out for me.
Rangnick might be able to help him but 2 and a half years of non-coaching is a long time. The worst thing a club with young players can do is hire coaches who can’t coach. Imagine the value of Greenwood, Rashford, Martial etc now if Rangnick had been in charge. Martial is probably done now, but Rashford is getting close to the age now where he has to property kick on. I’d be hoping the Rangnick “consultancy role” gives him real say on what happens going forward. He could probably reduce the player wage bill by a good 30% and make the side better.

lex talionis

It could be my imagination but I recall AWB being fairly decent in attacking situations when he was at Palace.

OTRightWinger07

rangnick coached his leipzig to be N1 in tackles. i suppose he will love AWB who is considered by many as the best tackler in football world.

this young man just discipline, instructions because he has the talent.

Patchbeard

Being better than Dalot and Williams is not the standard a Manchester United RB should be held to.
Oh yes I agree on that. Just some of the comments were like "he's the worst RB I've ever seen play for us" which are way OTT. No one's going to buy him so at least he might still have a use twice a season against Raheem Sterling as he always pockets him.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
He has been deceiving people for a while due to his last ditch tackles and ability to mark pacey wingers out of the game occasionally. I recall RB targeting him. I doubt he will get much better and has too many weaknesses to be top level. He was a lazy signing at £50 mill and one EPL season under his belt. Do our scouts actually study players?
According to the Athletic or some publication, we extensively scouted over 800 right backs and he ended up being the #1 choice. The jury's out on whether that's actually true or it was just positive PR for our new full back. You'd have to question our scouting department's credentials if they really scouted that many right backs and couldn't find better value for money anywhere else on the continent. I suspect he was a personal choice of the manager at the time.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
According to the Athletic or some publication, we extensively scouted over 800 right backs and he ended up being the #1 choice. The jury's out on whether that's actually true or it was just positive PR for our new full back. You'd have to question our scouting department's credentials if they really scouted that many right backs and couldn't find better value for money anywhere else on the continent. I suspect he was a personal choice of the manager at the time.
I do believe we scored 100s of RBs, but I also believe the person heading the football department makes the final call on who he wants and the person heading our football department has always been the first team manager, until now.

The scouting at any club is only as effective as the vision that is set at the top of the chain, and ours revolved around the first team manager.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Say the money wasn't an issue - how many would straight sell him out of United or would you keep him as our 2nd RB ie like a more alternative choice to the attacking RB we no doubt will get, that nearly every team has?

I know they are nothing similar - but I feel like I value the ability to have 2 different players in our squad, a prime Wigan like Antonio Valencia attacking and someone like Wes Brown as an alternative depending on the match and situation. Id be happy with wan Bissaka as our new Wes Brown in the squad.

Jaykespeare88

I dunno man, Arnault feckin Danjuma had Dalot on toast, that pen was really unlucky, I don't understand why he isn't improving, close control and dribbling isn't massively intensive so it should be combined into his training regime. Strikes me as another quite dim and timid character, too many of those in our squad.
Thoroughly impressed with Dalot tonight! Didn't seem heavy/flat footed, great pass to Rashford, not terrible defensively, anyone think Ragnick wanted AWB dropped?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How much would Livramento cost? His Chelsea buy-back is 43 million but not active for a couple of years, so I guess Soton would want ridiculous money to sell him now. Is Laird at a similar level to Livramento?
Ones playing for Swansea and one for Southampton.

but he could be, we will never know until he takes his chance. This loan though was every bit about proving he can stay injury free which he’s largely done thankfully

quirkey

Say the money wasn't an issue - how many would straight sell him out of United or would you keep him as our 2nd RB ie like a more alternative choice to the attacking RB we no doubt will get, that nearly every team has?

I know they are nothing similar - but I feel like I value the ability to have 2 different players in our squad, a prime Wigan like Antonio Valencia attacking and someone like Wes Brown as an alternative depending on the match and situation. Id be happy with wan Bissaka as our new Wes Brown in the squad.
Wow, just wow. Are you seriously comparing AWB to Wes Brown?

arthurka

Not his fault Solskjær and Co paid 50m for him. But what bothers me is the lack of development in this department. Shaw and AWB are exactly the same players that they were when they came faults and all. It's frightening really. Utd is the place where fullbacks come to regress.

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
He did say 'I know they are nothing similar'.

Pretty obvious the point he's trying to make about having 1 right back who's main strengths are in attacking and another who is more about defending first and foremost.
Thanks

Idxomer

AWB's defending game has deteriorated badly in the last year, even his tackling has gotten worse.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I don't rate Dalot defensively at all, but at this point I don't see much of a difference to AWB who seems to be in terrible form.
Flip of a coin, Dalot is more threat down the right as he's more of a natural footballer, but if Wan Bissaka gets his form back I think he'll be first choice again.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
If AWB attempted that pass on his left foot that Dalot did for our 2nd goal, he'd probably break his leg.

quirkey

He did say 'I know they are nothing similar'.

Pretty obvious the point he's trying to make about having 1 right back who's main strengths are in attacking and another who is more about defending first and foremost.
He also said “I’d be happy with wan Bissaka as our new Wes Brown”. It’s a nonsense point, how many clubs have a fullback who is picked to attack and one who is picked to defend? How often are Cancelo, James, Walker, Alexander-Arnold, Robertson dropped so the defensive fullback can play? A top club fullback should be able to attack well and defend competently.

I can imagine the furore here if Rangnick had an attacking fullback and a defensive fullback, and picked the defensive player for any game. “We are throwing in the towel here, the defensive fullbacks shows we are afraid etc etc”.

acnumber9

If AWB attempted that pass on his left foot that Dalot did for our 2nd goal, he'd probably break his leg.
Dalot has three assists in 43 games for United. Wan Bissaka has 10 in 117. Wan Bissaka is better in every area of the game. One good pass won’t change that. Although Dalot is better at throwing in step overs for no reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.