Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
There wasn't. When we got Awb, he was more established than Lamptey or Livramento. I recall the Caf mentioning foreign alternatives like Atal and Munier. I think Ducker or some reliable journalist also linked us with Hysaj.
But with Chelsea just starting to use Reece James, Liverpool using Trent Alexander Arnold, even City using Walker, Trippier at Spurs then Athletico Madrid, Max Aaron's was getting some hype at the time, Ben Godfrey would play some games when Aaron's didnt, Bogle was talked about for his Championship performances at a young age, Wan Bissaka was looking like the best 1 vs 1 defender even at Crystal Palace, Walker Peters at Southampton,

Lamptey was just starting to get hype the year after we bought AWB and now Livramento.

I remember how much of a fashion British fullbacks were due to what Klopp was achieving with Trent Alexander Arnold and Robertson.

I just personally don't see that going away.

Has any of the fullbacks like Atal, Munier or Hysaj been any good?

jamesjimmybyrondean

But with Chelsea just starting to use Reece James, Liverpool using Trent Alexander Arnold, even City using Walker, Trippier at Spurs then Athletico Madrid, Max Aaron's was getting some hype at the time, Ben Godfrey would play some games when Aaron's didnt, Bogle was talked about for his Championship performances at a young age, Wan Bissaka was looking like the best 1 vs 1 defender even at Crystal Palace, Walker Peters at Southampton,

Lamptey was just starting to get hype the year after we bought AWB and now Livramento.

I remember how much of a fashion British fullbacks were due to what Klopp was achieving with Trent Alexander Arnold and Robertson.

I just personally don't see that going away.

Has any of the fullbacks like Atal, Munier or Hysaj been any good?
Seems like I misinterpreted you. I'm saying I think the reason we got Awb despite his offensive inability being obvious is because we were doing the British core thing. If Lamptey, Aarons, Livramento were all as established as Awb at that time then we would have probably gone for any of them ahead of Awb. I think Aarons was the only other British right back we considered but he was still in the championship

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I don't remember too many people arguing against this signing when we first signed him. Myself and a small section of other fans, argued that we were making a mistake signing him.

Solskjaer came in and was saying he wanted to implement a high pressing style similar to Klopp at Liverpool. And then he goes ahead and signs Wan Bissaka and Maguire who are clearly not suited to playing in that way. I have strong suspicions that it was Phelan who influenced Solskjaer's decision on signing his former player Maguire and AWB. Because just listening to Phelan, it's very clear that he doesn't pay much attention to data analytics or the ever changing landscape in the modern game. He also doesn't believe in improving player weaknesses, and would rather focus on player strength. And he was brought in by Solskjaer to give him advice. So it's not a surprise we ended up signing players using a mindset from the 80s/90s. And one poster above is placing the blame on Murtough, when it was patently clear he was working outside of the fold of the first team, when it comes to recruitment at the time.

Appoint a Head Coach who has a high level understanding of the modern game and the recruitment will reflect that imo. We have not once appointed a coach who understood the modern day demands in the game today. And as a result we've played a reactive brand of football for too long and made other teams/coaches look better than they're.

Liverpool's recruitment is actually a simple process imo. Because the players they're signing in defence/fullback area/DM are all technically good (first touch/ball control) which should be a fundamental requirement. They then seem to focus on the physical/athletic capabilities, which is a advantage for a team that aims to play with a high defensive line without the ball. Defending large spaces in defensive transitions is very important, so your two CBs and most defensive minded midfielder, needs to be ready to defend a large space against the quickest players in the event of a break away from the opposition.

If the aim is to play a imposing brand of football with high pressing capabilities. Then particular focus has to be paid to the CB area, DM and fullbacks. CBs who are strong at defending channels in 1v1 situations, fullbacks who are technically strong with high stamina levels to add intensity. And a DM who is technically good as a fundamental requirement, as well as being quick and athletic to thwart counters against quick attackers in a high defensive line.

What we shouldn't do is target a player because Roy Keane said something or such and such said something and end up paying a premium for a player when all we need is someone who is strong at defending a large space in defensive transition high up the pitch with a good level of technical ability to keep it simple when building from the back. That will then create the platform for the attacking players to play their game in possession, as well as applying a coordinated high press due to the pitch being compressed via a high defensive line and that has the potential to pin the opposition in their own half.

The conditions have then been created for the coach to impose his game on the opposition, with all eventualities covered for in the event of the opposition seeping through the first two lines of the press.

Leeds United 2:4 Man Utd

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Certainly had a couple of dodgy moments but I really enjoyed his performance today. Lots of tackles it was perfect for him

El Jefe

He had a good game today but I'm expecting his hate club to only focus on his bad moments and say he was poor today.

bucky

Poor. Needs to do better, if his chances are limited, otherwise his United career won't last much longer.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It's why I don't want to sell him.

Even if he isn't good enough to be a starter I feel like having a defensive fullback can be useful in the squad.

Get a proper top class attacking RB and keep a good defensive one too.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
He's barely a footballer let's be honest. But as the king of the slide tackle he was probably having a whirl of a time.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Thought he was terrible. Not only did he give the ball away stupidly at times and make it hard to build anything down the right, but he was also average defensively. There was one moment at 2-2 where Leeds got in behind us down his side and AWB just did his usual jog back while Bruno literally sprinted past him to try to put pressure on the ball carrier.

lost7

I thought he was really good, how many tackles did he put in? Still a very limited player, but I think he showed what he's all about

Long Time Red

He had a good game today but I'm expecting his hate club to only focus on his bad moments and say he was poor today.
Yep, he was good today.

Conditions for passing and dribbling were difficult and he made a few mistakes but so did every player so it would be wrong to single out Wan-Bissaka for that.

mavradal

He was poor against Leeds, hope some people now can see why Ragnick favors Dalot in the starting lineup.

bucky

Thought that was his best game this season? Absolutely solid defensively.
He could have done better for their second goal and he wasn't good enough on the ball. Granted the conditions weren't ideal and he's clearly suffering from not playing, but we should still expect more.

-Supreme-

Does he not have the energy to sprint back helping out the defence? The way he just casually jogs back when we are countered is very infuriating to see.

PoTMS

How can someone have watched that game and thought he did well? I'm genuinely befuddled.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Definitely rusty after not playing for a number of weeks, his first 60 mins or so were poor and i'd put a large part of the blame of the 2nd goal on him.
Grew into the game later on, but still an average at best performance overall.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He could have done better for their second goal and he wasn't good enough on the ball. Granted the conditions weren't ideal and he's clearly suffering from not playing, but we should still expect more.
I agree on the 2nd goal, but overall I thought defensively he made a lot of key tackles. I personally would prefer a more rounded RB than him, but do think he did .

If that's the case then it's worrying. :lol:
As above, wouldnt be a player I say is a must in our starting XI next season, but did think he was defensively very good overall. Attack wise I expect little from him every game

ti vu

Have no word to describe AWB performance in second half.

Absolute horrible. Maguire had to tell him to pass forward at 48th minute, because within the first 3 minutes, AWB kept mindlessly pass back, sideway into traffic.

Leeds 2-2 goal is partially his fault, and it was again related to his nonsense pass. McTominay and Shaw of course should have done better with their defensive duty. There were few other minor bad pass too.

Passing is one thing. Situational awareness is terrible too. Leeds 1-2 goal was a fluke, but it had a big tactical issue with AWB picked to the wrong time to overlap, leaving acre of space for counter transition.

Then Leeds chance at 60th minute, it should be 2 vs 1 for our defenders, but AWB with his slow jog back, and bad positioning, ended up creating a 1vs 1 against Lindelof after AWB failed intercepting tackle. For someone who haven't played 90 minute games for a while, why did he look knackered?

bucky

I agree on the 2nd goal, but overall I thought defensively he made a lot of key tackles. I personally would prefer a more rounded RB than him, but do think he did .

As above, wouldnt be a player I say is a must in our starting XI next season, but did think he was defensively very good overall. Attack wise I expect little from him every game
I still think there's a good player in him, but he needs to improve. He doesn't look any better than when he first arrived here. You should expect more attacking wise, he's a United FB after all.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
It's why I don't want to sell him.

Even if he isn't good enough to be a starter I feel like having a defensive fullback can be useful in the squad.

Get a proper top class attacking RB and keep a good defensive one too.
Weird game to use as an argument for his defensive prowess considering that both of Leeds goals came from his flank?

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
I still think there's a good player in him, but he needs to improve. He doesn't look any better than when he first arrived here. You should expect more attacking wise, he's a United FB after all.
Absolutely. His attacking play is still well below what we have seen in times gone by, and needs to improve significantly if he wants to be a regular here

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Weird game to use as an argument for his defensive prowess considering that both of Leeds goals came from his flank?
Weird post in return, the cross goal is widely, and correctly accepted as a complete fluke which no one could do anything about and there are about 5 people including the Ref who are responsible for the second ahead of AWB.

I don't like AWB but today ain't the day for reaching to blame him for either goal.

TSE123

He is NOT good defensively (not attacking either - and he sure cant cross).
Well he's a king of tackling, not sure if there's a better player in PL at it.
He's barely a footballer let's be honest. But as the king of the slide tackle he was probably having a whirl of a time.
I thought he was really good, how many tackles did he put in? Still a very limited player, but I think he showed what he's all about
He did the slide tackle.
Slide tackling is what you do as a last resort. It is the symptom of his incredibly poor positioning and the fact that he quite often is way too high up the pitch. Today he made it back alot and his slide tackling was therefore successfull, but its NOT a sign of good defending!

Ash_G

Can't remember at what point it was in the 2nd half but we were having to defend a counter and I saw Bruno tracking back from quite high up the pitch and actually overtake AWB. Yes I get in some ways Bruno might be a spare man to defend and so less worried about tactical positioning but AWB was also coming back pretty slowly.

I personally think he's someone who just doesn't have the right mentality- surely this was a game to try and claim your spot back in the team. He did alright overall and the conditions suited him in someways but felt he was quite poor on the ball. Just don't feel he has any urgency to his play.

led_scholes

He made some nice tackles. But it's no coincidence the 2 goals and a couple of other chances came from his side. He really doesn't understand what going forward is. For him, is just start running straight ahead and abandoning his team mates.

Status
Not open for further replies.