Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CloneMC16

theres not a single accomplished area of Dalots game. Hopefully he will be sold too
I agree with you, but he won't get sold. I think it was always going to be either AWB or Dalot leaving. ETH chose AWB. If we sold both, we'd probably have to buy 2 RB's. I just can't see it.

Revaulx

Dalot can trap a football without breaking stride. That's as far as thar comparison needs to go. I'm not remotely surprised he's the first casualty.
Ditto.

Dalot is also young, hard working and by the look of it has a great attitude. I'd back him to improve under ETH a lot more than AWB.

AWB belongs in an earlier era. In the days when full backs weren't really expected to provide the attacking width and they were up against touchline-hugging wingers he'd have been among the best.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Shame really, he's a very good defensive full back but I guess it was naive to think he could just develop the attacking side of his game out of nowhere.

I feel like he could be a decent RCB in a back 3 but perhaps that is a bit of a stretch too.
He's not though.

He's a brilliant 1v1 defender (perhaps even the best in the world), but in pretty much every other aspect he's average at best even defensively. His positioning is average, when players get in behind him he's lazy getting back, he's terrible in the air and has no idea how to defend crosses coming in from the other side. It's been very noticeable that opposition teams have changed how they attack down his side, and instead of playing into his 1v1 strengths they've been targeting his weaknesses more and more. It's why even his 1v1 defensive stats have plummeted as he doesn't get the opportunity to show them much anymore.

Perhaps he could be a good fullback for teams who do want to sit back and defend deep, as that might highlight his strengths and hide his weaknesses to some extent.

NewYorkRed

He's not though.

He's a brilliant 1v1 defender (perhaps even the best in the world), but in pretty much every other aspect he's average at best even defensively. His positioning is average, when players get in behind him he's lazy getting back, he's terrible in the air and has no idea how to defend crosses coming in from the other side. It's been very noticeable that opposition teams have changed how they attack down his side, and instead of playing into his 1v1 strengths they've been targeting his weaknesses more and more.

Perhaps he could be a good fullback for teams who do want to sit back and defend deep, as that might highlight his strengths and hide his weaknesses to some extent.
100% agree with everything you just said there. He is really not good defensively for all of the reasons you just mentioned.

ETH getting off on the right foot in my book with this move.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
He's not though.

He's a brilliant 1v1 defender (perhaps even the best in the world), but in pretty much every other aspect he's average at best even defensively. His positioning is average, when players get in behind him he's lazy getting back, he's terrible in the air and has no idea how to defend crosses coming in from the other side. It's been very noticeable that opposition teams have changed how they attack down his side, and instead of playing into his 1v1 strengths they've been targeting his weaknesses more and more. It's why even his 1v1 defensive stats have plummeted as he doesn't get the opportunity to show them much anymore.

He's looked better when the defence as a whole looked better. Our defence this season even made Varane look like a clown and he's a defender who's won everything there is to win in football.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Good riddance. Such a thoughtless signing from Ole and team.

People would try to convince that Dalot is worse than this guy but it's just a deluded thought. Dalot has showed greater potential than this guy.

Irwin99

A superb one on one defender but so much else was missing in his game. Astonishing to think he started out as a winger.

Had some very good games against Sterling but has been a bad signing overall I feel.

El Jefe

I've always had a soft apot for him but I like that ETH has immediately identified who doesn't fit in his plans. Hopefully he can do that for a few more players not just AWB.

avgp_1

Was never excited with his signing, I dont know what we were thinking splashing the cash on him. He was never going to feature for any team looking to go big and now that other teams have improved so much with their FBs Id say he will be hardly featuring for any top 10 side.

However, its great news ETH is looking keenly at the FB positions, which along with with CM is our Achilles heel. Much rather fix that over ST, RW.

RORY65

For all the talk about needing players who work harder and who fight for the shirt, which is completely valid, the first step is to clear out the players who are technically deficient. You're going nowhere with players who look like they've never kicked a ball before and who have no appreciation of where to stand. Our other options at right back aren't very good either, I'm still not sure what Dalot is supposed to be, but that's no reason to keep a guy who clearly isn't good enough if a decent offer comes in.

Revaulx

It always seemed bizarre, but also typical of United's dysfunctional recruitment policy, that we got rid of Smalling because he was supposed to be "terrible on the ball" and yet picked this lad out of 800 or so right backs.

Revaulx

For all the talk about needing players who work harder and who fight for the shirt, which is completely valid, the first step is to clear out the players who are technically deficient. You're going nowhere with players who look like they've never kicked a ball before and who have no appreciation of where to stand. Our other options at right back aren't very good either, I'm still not sure what Dalot is supposed to be, but that's no reason to keep a guy who clearly isn't good enough if a decent offer comes in.
Yeah I'm far from convinced by Dalot, but he does work hard. Maybe a player who's not great technically (his crossing is awful) but has the right work ethic is easier to improve than a skilful player who doesn't, particularly if they are going to be part of a "system".

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
[/QUOTE]
But we all know CP will offer to loan him and pay 25% of his wages for a season or something daft like that.
[/QUOTE]

I did call this quite a few pages back you know, had a sneaky feeling he’d become available on loan this summer. All I can say is Mitchell Guehi Andersen Wan-Bissaka will take some getting past if he comes back. Great ages as well - 22, 21, 25, 24 - be some turnaround from our former decrepit backline of Van Aanholt (30), Cahill (35), Dann (34), Ward (31) from just over a season ago as well. And for anyone saying he’s sh*t going forwards, I’ve watched Joel Ward trying to go forwards for the last few seasons, AWB is like Cafu in comparison.

I did call this quite a few pages back you know, had a sneaky feeling he’d become available on loan this summer. All I can say is Mitchell Guehi Andersen Wan-Bissaka will take some getting past. Great ages as well - 22, 21, 25, 24 - be some turnaround from our former decrepit backline of Van Aanholt (30), Cahill (35), Dann (34), Ward (31) from just over a season ago as well. And for anyone saying he’s sh*t going forwards, I’ve watched Joel Ward going forwards for the last few seasons so I just don’t need to hear it. Cheers.
I don’t see AWB suiting this current CP team, you play possession based. AWB isn’t suited to that. He’s more of a Burnley type of player.

Redlyn

"Please use this forum for discussing actual player performances not transfer rumours, hair styles and other off topic talking points. Discuss those in the Manchester United Forum."

I guess it needs its own thread.

Its a tough call between Dalot and AWB. AWB has his uses defensively to shut down tricky wingers (when not out of position) and offers nothing in term of progressive play while Dalot is poor all round, but more technically competent.
Its a good sign Ten hag has no patience for a player this limited on the ball. Let the clear out begin.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not the worst signing we've made post-SAF as I suspect he might look fine in a team that plays to his strengths. But the fact that he is so obviously ill-suited to the requirements most top sides place on their fullbacks makes him one of the more odd ones. A feeling that is exacerbated by the "804 right-backs" spiel that accompanied the signing.

Did they not properly assess the type of player he was? Did they overestimate their ability to improve the areas he was fundamentally weak? Did they have a misconceived idea of what the role of a fullback should be? Or did they just not have any clear idea of the side they were trying to build themselves into? No idea. Could be any or all of the above. Very strange.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
[/QUOTE]

I don’t see AWB suiting this current CP team, you play possession based. AWB isn’t suited to that. He’s more of a Burnley type of player.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah a few Palace fans think that as well tbf, however IMO our creativity doesn’t come from the full-backs, it’s from Eze’s ability to go past people, Gallagher winning the ball high, Wilf being Wilf and Olise cutting in on his left. As long as he can get up and down the right and overlap to make space for Olise, as well as put the the odd ball in the box when he needs to, that’ll do just fine. That was his exact role when Townsend was on our right instead of Olise and Utd paid £50m for him based on that!

Becks00

Only been in Manchester 10 minutes and he's already told Wan-Bissaka he can leave! How bad was the training session? What did Ralf tell him?
Hope it doesn't take him long to realize McTominay isn't any better than AWB at actual football too.

Greck

Not the worst signing we've made post-SAF as I suspect he might look fine in a team that plays to his strengths. But the fact that he is so obviously ill-suited to the requirements most top sides place on their fullbacks makes him one of the more odd ones. A feeling that is exacerbated by the "804 right-backs" spiel that accompanied the signing.

Did they not properly assess the type of player he was? Did they overestimate their ability to improve the areas he was fundamentally weak? Did they have a misconceived idea of what the role of a fullback should be? Or did they just not have any clear idea of the side they were trying to build themselves into? No idea. Could be any or all of the above. Very strange.
Ole and Phelan wanted to emulate SAF but the implementation was straight dog crap. They went after the wrong core.

Why the rumours we asked ETH to consider taking on Phelan are disgusting if true. ETH binning the first player they signed pretty much describes their incompatibility in a nutshell.

saivet

Good news. His lack of technical ability and attacking prowess is one thing but it became pretty clear by the end of his first season that he isn't even that good of a defender.

I think Azpi is what we hoped he might become in terms of a solid pure defensive full back but he's not close to that level.

Chairman Steve

It’s like how Guardiola immediately deemed Joe Hart surplus to requirements. AWB feels like a player who would have excelled in the 90s and 2000s, but these days where fullbacks have become the new wingers, and wingers have become inside forwards… he’s a bit dated.

No wonder the senior scouts are gone and Solskjaer too. Senior scouts really thought he was the best option from hundreds and Solskjaer genuinely thought he was that good to play as much as he did, and not consider Dalot or Brandon Williams for a run in that position to see how they’d do for contrast?

Elcabron

He's not though.

Great lost and I agree entirely. He tends to be lazy and doesn't have great instincts defensively. Also seems to have bad lapses in concentration which is not good. He was a terrible signing really and this nonsense of him being chosen after scouting 100s of full backs was ludicrous.

Mickson

It’s like how Guardiola immediately deemed Joe Hart surplus to requirements. AWB feels like a player who would have excelled in the 90s and 2000s, but these days where fullbacks have become the new wingers, and wingers have become inside forwards… he’s a bit dated.

No wonder the senior scouts are gone and Solskjaer too. Senior scouts really thought he was the best option from hundreds and Solskjaer genuinely thought he was that good to play as much as he did, and not consider Dalot or Brandon Williams for a run in that position to see how they’d do for contrast?
The recruitment team didn't have anything to do with this transfer. It was all Ole and Phelan - the super duo. Source: Luckhurst.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
First huge red flags about Solskjaer and his ability.

Bought a full back that can't attack and a defender that's too slow after saying he wants us to play high up the pitch.
And Dan James.

When you look back at the last ten years I don't think we could've recruited worse even on purpose. The amount of cluelessness should be studied by scientists and laughed at.

Dempsey19

This is great news. Extremely average player that offers nothing going forward. Defensively poor aswel other than a slide tackle here and there.

Chairman Steve

The recruitment team didn't have anything to do with this transfer. It was all Ole and Phelan - the super duo. Source: Luckhurst.
Well that’s bad on Solskjaer then. I get the feeling my bit about AWB being an outdated player makes sense when Solskjaer was theorized but likely to have been working of an ‘What would have Sir Alex done?’ philosophy and he picked AWB because he played like a full back from 15 years ago when Sir Alex was still managing :nervous:

Mickson

Well that’s bad on Solskjaer then. I get the feeling my bit about AWB being an outdated player makes sense when Solskjaer was theorized but likely to have been working of an ‘What would have Sir Alex done?’ philosophy and he picked AWB because he played like a full back from 15 years ago when Sir Alex was still managing :nervous:
I don't think you're entirely wrong there.

Jezpeza

I agree with you, but he won't get sold. I think it was always going to be either AWB or Dalot leaving. ETH chose AWB. If we sold both, we'd probably have to buy 2 RB's. I just can't see it.
I suppose thats probably righy. i’d rather have one good one and Laird next season. Better for the clearing of deadwood, club culture and wage structure. I think the deliberate leak of this today was done to shop window him early doors as we probably dont want a £50m asset to depreciate even more. We arent going to recoup that on him even

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Genuinely think he’s the worst signing we’ve ever made. Yes, even worse than Alexis Sanchez.

50m quid for someone with the ability of a competition winner.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
If we sell him for 30m, it should be considered a good deal?

I am expecting 25m, but hoping for 30m.

Bojan Djordjic

theres not a single accomplished area of Dalots game. Hopefully he will be sold too
There's plenty he's good at in fairness. Tackling, good in the air, progressive with the ball, decent at through balls and much better than AWB in build up. He's still not the required standard but I would still prioritise midfield and forward replacements before tackling right back and centre back. Ideally we strengthen all areas though.

Dolf

It always seemed bizarre, but also typical of United's dysfunctional recruitment policy, that we got rid of Smalling because he was supposed to be "terrible on the ball" and yet picked this lad out of 800 or so right backs.
It sums up everything wrong with this club: there hasn’t been a plan.

We have been messing about ever since SAF left. If we had the right people upstairs with a proper plan then we would have been in a better position as a club than we are now.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Someone needs to be held accountable for signing a player for United that is that limited on the ball. Utter travesty that he cost £50m.

TOPREDIAMNOT

Is Maguire any worse? So will Maguire be sold soon? Mctom and Rashy as well. I like it!

Cathy Ferguson

It sums up everything wrong with this club: there hasn’t been a plan.

We have been messing about ever since SAF left. If we had the right people upstairs with a proper plan then we would have been in a better position as a club than we are now.
Ole had a clear plan and that was to rebuild the team around a nucleus of young British players. AWB was a big signing along those lines. The plan was wrong and now we have a better plan.

Status
Not open for further replies.