Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

I have said many times I don’t think AWB is any good… we need a new right back.

It’s a forum and I can voice my opinion. For you to get all defensive, maybe I touched a nerve when I said Dalot was rubbish because you actually rate him. Which is fine, you’d be entitled to your own opinion too. I wouldn’t be arsed.
The only one who is acting defensive is you. You had to make up quote.

I wanted Trippier from the same window we signed AWB, until he joined Newcastle. I also wanted Dalot gone for the past 2 seasons. Still do. I, however respected people's opinions, and certain coaches' "reasonable" judgement. Not pretending that I know it all, and "people" including coaches can't see what I see. Unlike you.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Hopefully true. It was inevitable we'll have to upgrade over him. Was obvious even during his first season.

May the rest of Ole's awful legacy at United as a manager follow him out of the door
Yeah let's get rid of Bruno, Sancho, Varane and Ronaldo as well

ZupZup

Not pretending that I know it all, and "people" including coaches can't see what I see. Unlike you.
Ok… because I said I can’t see what people see in Dalot you got all upset and felt condescended to. I’m sure you’ll get over it.

Football fans often talk like that to each other. It’s not that deep.

charlenefan

Good riddance. Such a thoughtless signing from Ole and team.

People would try to convince that Dalot is worse than this guy but it's just a deluded thought. Dalot has showed greater potential than this guy.
wrong

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I barely have a clue what are you are talking about… you said Dalot must be better because coaches and directors think so?

Which ignores the fact that previous coaches preferred AWB… and also they signed him for £50m… which was a mistake but clearly shows that coaches etc. are not always right.

Or are you trying to say that Ten Hag couldn’t ever be wrong in preferring one player over another? In which case I look forwards to every signing of his working out and being brilliant. I don’t think that’s ever happened for another manager before. For all we know, Ten Hag doesn’t think Dalot is any good either… one can only hope.
The way people write about Wan Bissaka and Dalot is like the former is some sort of lesser skilled Konchesky, whereas the latter is Zanetti in the making.

I don't think Dalot has much over Wan Bissaka in an attacking sense, and is way worse defensively.

charlenefan

Bias is why people cant see why Dalot has been chosen over AWB.
If you watch both players, it should be obvious why ETH would chose Dalot. I am not saying Dalot is a top player but he has more tools for an attacking, high energy, high pressing team.
It's not even debatable.
It's actually very debatable, if you want to press high AWB is far likelier to win the ball high up the pitch than Dalot

The fact AWB is by far better defensively than Dalot makes him the better RB seeing as they're both useless going forward (though goals and assists would put AWB ahead of Dalot as well)

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Judging by the way we've tried to move players on previously, I'll be very surprised if we manage to get rid of him as I can't see who would want to pay more than £20m for a right back and I can't see the club accepting £20m.
Really hope we can make something of him.
To take another massive hit on a player and then have to subsidise another player's huge wage is just too upsetting.

ZupZup

I don't think Dalot has much over Wan Bissaka in an attacking sense, and is way worse defensively.
Yeah… that pretty much sums up my thoughts on the pair of them.

One of the positions we really need to upgrade for me.

charlenefan

Agreed, I'd go as far as saying a new RB is needed more than a CF

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

I'd rate our full backs in order as:

Shaw - Top level is what we saw last season - has the ability to be a proper player - disaster this season.
Wan Bissaka - solid defensively, poor positioning, ok attack but nothing special
Dalot - just average at best, poor defensively
Telles - great delivery, but way too little else going on to be a regular. Better than that kid we packed off to Norwich on loan though (name I forget)

To think we've played large swathes of this season with the latter two starting is quite upsetting.

charlenefan

Shaw - Top level is what we saw last season - has the ability to be a proper player - disaster this season.
Wan Bissaka - solid defensively, poor positioning, ok attack but nothing special
Telles - great delivery, but way too little else going on to be a regular. Better than that kid we packed off to Norwich on loan though (name I forget)

To think we've played large swathes of this season with the latter two starting is quite upsetting.
I agree with this

RR has made us look even worse than we needed to be by playing what should be the 2nd choice FB's over the best ones at the club (ok fair enough Shaw's had injuries but RR still picked Telles ahead of him at times)

ZupZup

Agreed, I'd go as far as saying a new RB is needed more than a CF
Yeah… we need both but I do feel like having really good full backs would totally transform us.

Shaw is decent if he can hit form again… but having top full backs on both sides and we’d look a different team. All the best teams nowadays have good full backs.

jesperjaap

Shame, i genuinely thought he could develop into a monster of a right back for us. I still rate him but his lack of progress in certain areas, is time for him to go.

Even so, Bissaka calls to be sold over Dalot I dont understand, he is still even with his deficencies and lack of progression a far better full back than DAlot. Hope if DAlot stays no new contract is offered

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I agree with this

RR has made us look even worse than we needed to be by playing what should be the 2nd choice FB's over the best ones at the club (ok fair enough Shaw's had injuries but RR still picked Telles ahead of him at times)
One difficult thing for the new manager, is to work out which players are having their game look crapper for covering much weaker players.

Although I do believe quality players should stand out whatever the circumstance. That's always the biggest stick to beat Pogba with. He's supposedly world class yet needs this exceptionally narrow and specific tactics and player type round him .

He needs to be in a three with someone who has legs and can do all the defensive stuff. But also someone who sets the tempo with their passing.

CloneMC16

Agree with this. Shaw playing extremely poorly this season has hurt us a lot. Telles has nothing on Shaw when he's playing at even his average level. We have to hope that Shaw can get back to a much higher level next season.

I fully believe that AWB has shown a higher level than Dalot has. I don't think either are great, but I would choose AWB if I had to choose one. Mainly for his 1v1 defending, blocks, and ball carrying. Dalot is just a weird player. He can play some great progressive passes, and then he fires crosses over at the opposite corner flag.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Ole had a clear plan and that was to rebuild the team around a nucleus of young British players. AWB was a big signing along those lines. The plan was wrong and now we have a better plan.
Problem wasn't British core. Problem was:
1) ANY British core. Nobody would not be against Grealish-Rice-Sancho- Kane core. We bought players from Swansea, Palace and Leicester ffs. Neither of those players wasn't even key player there.
2) Solskjaer was/is shit manager with low club mentality and he was buying players for that approach. Sit deep, defend and wait for counter attacks. All 3 (Awb, Harry and in some way even James are good for that).

Adnan

Talent Spotter
It was obvious he wasn't the right player for a team that wanted to play a proactive/attacking brand of football. And Solskjaer himself said he wanted to 'press high like Jurgen' but then ended up signing Wan Bissaka and Maguire. And there's reports that the scouts were ignored several times by the board in favour to appease the manager(s) for various players.

But it was Solskjaer and Mourinho before him who decided they would go with their approach of having their own recruitment staff independently from the club's recruitment staff which got them into this problem. Ole, Phelan and Simon Wells, along with Woodward and Judge was the structure on the football side of the club.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
He’s a worse right back in just about every way.

Lukaku was great for Inter. Not sure there’s a lot to be read into that.
Dalot? A worse footballer than wan bissaka? I just don’t see how you can watch those two with your own eyes and draw that conclusion. I’m not talking about end product, or how well they play for us. I’m talking purely how good they are at football.

Yeah but we got our money back for Lukaku. It wasn’t the end of the world. While it remains to be seen what we get for wan bissaka, as it stands 50m English pounds for that garbage is, pound for pound, the worst transfer we’ve done.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What Dalot has over AWB isn't so much what he does in attack (because he's shite in that regard) but rather what he does in build-up play.

AWB struggles to pass the ball progressively (26th percentile). This effectively makes him a cul de sac in possession, constantly forced into playing the ball backwards and sideways as he lacks the technical ability to retain possession otherwise, particularly when placed under pressure. And aside from unbalancing our team, that makes him an obvious target for the opposition press. If you can force us to play the ball to him then we struggle, simple as that.

Dalot on the other hand doesn't struggle to pass the ball progressively (88th percentile). This balances our normally lopsided build-up play somewhat by helping us move the ball forward more freely down the right flank while also removing that obvious target for the opposition press, as Dalot simply has a higher level of technical ability than AWB and is better able to cope in those positions as a result.

Given how ETH plays, that difference would only be exaggerated further next season. It doesn't particularly matter which of them is a better fullback generally when it's pretty obvious which of them will struggle more under the new manager's specific style of play.

Last edited:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Judging by the way we've tried to move players on previously, I'll be very surprised if we manage to get rid of him as I can't see who would want to pay more than £20m for a right back and I can't see the club accepting £20m.
I think the club will accept £20/25m. He's a mistake.

Ollie Derbyshire

The way people write about Wan Bissaka and Dalot is like the former is some sort of lesser skilled Konchesky, whereas the latter is Zanetti in the making.

Dalot is woeful in an attacking sense, over hits ever cross by a good 20mtrs. Defensively he’s as bad positionally as AWB. Both aren’t good enough to move forward with.

People saying he‘s anything other than pure average are really scrapping the barrel.

Red Rash

I love AWB in his first season with us however this season has been painfully obvious that he is lacking too many qualities to be a top class RB.

In terms of 1v1 defending he is up there with the best but he gets too caught out of position and doesn't have enough ability going forward. Unfortunately I think it's the case that he is the wrong type of fullback for what we need. We should be playing attacking football whereas he is more suited to a team who are trying to keep out a goal rather than make them.

If he costs 25 million or less you could understand keeping him as a squad player but at 50 million we probably need to upgrade and cut our losses.

Suedesi

The most stupid signing we have ever done. It was obvious at the time that this would happen. Cant believe that neither scouts or manager saw it.
Indeed - can't believe we 'looked at 802 fullbacks' and landed on this turd. For 50mm quid.

dubplate warrior

It's actually very debatable, if you want to press high AWB is far likelier to win the ball high up the pitch than Dalot

The fact AWB is by far better defensively than Dalot makes him the better RB seeing as they're both useless going forward (though goals and assists would put AWB ahead of Dalot as well)
Its not debatable at all in my opinion, technically he's absolutely rubbish. Dalot isn't very good but he has shown a decent touch and can progress the ball better, which he'll need to do. AWB can't be taught how to control a ball better.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

There is not really much of a difference. Looking at their stats for pressing and recoveries this seasons, you would argue that Dalot is actually better at winning the ball back.

I would actually claim that it is the other way around, both of them is useless at defending and attacking, but Dalot is actually decent on the ball ik buildup. Hence, Dalot is the better RB. Neither not good enough, but Dalot obviously more suited for any «modern coach».

I was always confident that a new manager would get rid of AWB.

charlenefan

There is not really much of a difference. Looking at their stats for pressing and recoveries this seasons, you would argue that Dalot is actually better at winning the ball back.

I would actually claim that it is the other way around, both of them is useless at defending and attacking, but Dalot is actually decent on the ball ik buildup. Hence, Dalot is the better RB. Neither not good enough, but Dalot obviously more suited for any «modern coach».

I was always confident that a new manager would get rid of AWB.
But by looking at this season you're comparing Dalot's best at the club (which is hilarious because he's still been utterly shite) with AWB's worst. Compare either of AWB's previous seasons with this seasons Dalot and well if Dalot still comes out on top then colour me surprised

acnumber9

Darmian was not suited for the league. But tell me a game that AWB has ever had as the one Darmian had vs Ajax in the EL final.
Anytime he come up against Raheem Sterling or against Neymar and Mbappe in Paris. Who was Darmian up against in that final? I don’t think I ever saw Darmian cross the halfway line.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
But by looking at this season you're comparing Dalot's best at the club (which is hilarious because he's still been utterly shite) with AWB's worst. Compare either of AWB's previous seasons with this seasons Dalot and well if Dalot still comes out on top then colour me surprised
It is also the only season at the club were Dalot has been given a chance. And it is a season were Man Utd were significantly worse than the previous two seasons, were all players performed worse.

AWBs pressing numbers from 19/20 were significantly better (but not in the final third). But so was Dalots pressing numbers in 18/19 when he actually got to play 1000 min in the PL.

Regardless, AWBs pressing numbers has never been impressive and even less so in the final third.

I’m not a fan of Dalot, but credible sources claim both Milan and Atletico Madrid were interested in him the past year. We will struggle to offload AWB this summer and I doubt anyone will pay anything for him.

Kag

He hasn’t kicked on after a promising start and can’t complain if Ten Hag decides he isn’t for him.

fecking Darmian, though. Some of you lot don’t half talk some shite.

acnumber9

Dalot? A worse footballer than wan bissaka? I just don’t see how you can watch those two with your own eyes and draw that conclusion. I’m not talking about end product, or how well they play for us. I’m talking purely how good they are at football.

Yeah but we got our money back for Lukaku. It wasn’t the end of the world. While it remains to be seen what we get for wan bissaka, as it stands 50m English pounds for that garbage is, pound for pound, the worst transfer we’ve done.
Dalot isn’t good at football though. Not sure how anyone with eyes can think he is. Wan Bissaka looks clumsy but really they’re both fairy useless on the ball. Wan Bissaka is a better dribbler and has a better understanding of how to actually play the position. Watch how hard Dalot makes it for the player on the right. He seems to think he’s a midfielder because he never offers an overlap. Wan Bissaka at least knows the basics even if he is average at them. He also doesn’t shoot every time he gets within 30 yards of goal so that’s an instant improvement on Dalot.

Blood Mage

Posted back in Jan but still relevant. It's plain to see that while Dalot is a limited footballer and not good enough to be our starting RB either, he's still a much more progressive passer and a better footballer than AWB. I'd rather keep him as backup and cash in on AWB, and I'm glad Ten Hag agrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.