Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

r0663664

Worships Man City
I think AWB is being sold, not because Dalot is better. AWB is English and everyone knows he can defend against pacy player. He should probably fetch a better price to reinvest in the team. Dalot really has a lower resale value. ETH will probably use the money from this sale to buy Timber who can play CB and RB maybe DM. Wouldn't that be a better than keeping AWB.

Tibs

If we can get even half what we paid we should take it...not worked out, best to move on for both parties.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
How is Dalot better to a front foot team? he is atrocious in every aspect in his game, bad in both defence and offence. I hope he is not our first team player and we are planning to sign someone in that position and Dalot is only staying because he is cheap in wages and Bisaka is going because he still has some resale value.
Because he's a little better on the ball. Granted he's still bang average.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Shame, i genuinely thought he could develop into a monster of a right back for us. I still rate him but his lack of progress in certain areas, is time for him to go.

Even so, Bissaka calls to be sold over Dalot I dont understand, he is still even with his deficencies and lack of progression a far better full back than DAlot. Hope if DAlot stays no new contract is offered
There is a real strange thread to the posts in here slaughtering the guy as if it's all down to him how things turned out. The whole point of buying young players is they are malleable and full of desire to learn and improve, but if you don't coach them, then they are more likely to atrophy than develop. What we've done with our coaching over the last few years is gross negligence of the highest order, which is why absolutely nobody who has come to the club has improved or developed an iota. It's let down our academy graduates, too, who all look lost at sea and are making mistakes that a proper coaching set up would have ironed out of them.

Wan-Bissaka should not be in this state as a player, and I doubt he would've been with some top class coaching under him, but he has not received that, and here we are, the seeds simply never grew. He mightn't have gone on to become a great or even a good attacker, but there's no way he'd have been regressive. There's also the matter of changing from a counter-attacking team to one that wants to be on the front foot. We did not equip our players with the nuance and insights to play that way, which is why we are rubbish at it, and it has done more to expose just how bad we are (and subsequently, how poorly they've been coached) than benefit us.

I'd conclude that AWB must be miffed himself. Our reputation for developing players who came to the club used to be the best in the country; these days it's a shambles, and players that have been signed up during this period of sheer incompetence have a lot to rue, as the dream move has done a number on them. As deficient as he is, he should never have been left to his own devices - whatever latent ability there might have been in him, we poured down the toilet (he is far from the only one) and now he's being rounded on, like it's solely down to him, which is absurd.

*Any* player who comes through our doors should show the fruits of our labour after so many years... and unfortunately, ours do... just in the opposite direction.

No qualms, he's not what is needed here, but as sense of perspective as to why is sorely lacking in these posts insulting the player for being here when we got him in and did absolutely nothing to improve him.

LJJT

I find the case of AWB and views on him really interesting. In my view I actually think he’s a good defender and was a good signing for us in the first two seasons where we played more defensive and counter attacking football. He’s been found to be well short when it comes to playing more progressive attacking football. I think in fairness to those that bought him, they intended to develop that side of his game. They either failed in that or AWB failed to apply himself or simply hadn’t got it in him. I suspect the truth is some where in the middle of those two views. As others have said- he’s better than Dalot as at least he can defend fairly well. Dalot seems neither good going forward or backwards to me.!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
There is a real strange thread to the posts in here slaughtering the guy as if it's all down to him how things turned out. The whole point of buying young players is they are malleable and full of desire to learn and improve, but if you don't coach them, then they are more likely to atrophy than develop. What we've done with our coaching over the last few years is gross negligence of the highest order, which is why absolutely nobody who has come to the club has improved or developed an iota. It's let down our academy graduates, too, who all look lost at sea and are making mistakes that a proper coaching set up would have ironed out of them.

Wan-Bissaka should not be in this state as a player, and I doubt he would've been with some top class coaching under him, but he has not received that, and here we are, the seeds simply never grew. He mightn't have gone on to become a great or even a good attacker, but there's no way he'd have been regressive. There's also the matter of changing from a counter-attacking team to one that wants to be on the front foot. We did not equip our players with the nuance and insights to play that way, which is why we are rubbish at it, and it has done more to expose just how bad we are (and subsequently, how poorly they've been coached) than benefit us.

I'd conclude that AWB must be miffed himself. Our reputation for developing players who came to the club used to be the best in the country; these days it's a shambles, and players that have been signed up during this period of sheer incompetence have a lot to rue, as the dream move has done a number on them. As deficient as he is, he should never have been left to his own devices - whatever latent ability there might have been in him, we poured down the toilet (he is far from the only one) and now he's being rounded on, like it's solely down to him, which is absurd.

*Any* player who comes through our doors should show the fruits of our labour after so many years... and unfortunately, ours do... just in the opposite direction.

No qualms, he's not what is needed here, but as sense of perspective as to why is sorely lacking in these posts insulting the player for being here when we got him in and did absolutely nothing to improve him.
Do you feel the same regarding Rashford’s development at United ?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Do you feel the same regarding Rashford’s development at United ?
All of them. Rashford, McTominay, Greenwood and anyone else. All have been left to fester because the coaching has never corrected their respective games. Rashford was also ran into the ground and essentially ruined at a time when a learned coaching staff and management would have protected him or at least not have him suffer career-extending fallout.

It's not reserved for any one player: we have let down near every player brought in over the last years, actually extending back further than Ole.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Agree but finding a suitable replacement wont be easy.
Timber might be the first, and I hope our scouting improves and we find a very talented, young player who does not cost too much. Or we promote someone

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I think AWB is being sold, not because Dalot is better. AWB is English and everyone knows he can defend against pacy player. He should probably fetch a better price to reinvest in the team. Dalot really has a lower resale value. ETH will probably use the money from this sale to buy Timber who can play CB and RB maybe DM. Wouldn't that be a better than keeping AWB.
Club are briefing they would take a loan.

jesperjaap

I agree, same token the players need to take responsibility for the failures too and part of the poor culture has been the excuse culture of players.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I agree, same token the players need to take responsibility for the failures too and part of the poor culture has been the excuse culture of players.
As far as I'm aware AWB is quiet as a mouse and the abuse he gets is wholly disproportionate to the character he is, which seems to be a virtual mute.

You won't find many players who develop independent of the club, plus he came here young, wide-eyed and clueless. Like any player that age, it's on us to nurture them and we haven't done that with anyone, let alone AWB.

Corridor of Uncertainty

As far as I'm aware AWB is quiet as a mouse and the abuse he gets is wholly disproportionate to the character he is, which seems to be a virtual mute.

You won't find many players who develop independent of the club, plus he came here young, wide-eyed and clueless. Like any player that age, it's on us to nurture them and we haven't done that with anyone, let alone AWB.
He's also just a bit thick. Multiple driving offences proves that, including driving whilst disqualified and failing to provide details on more than one occasion.

You can blame the club all you want, but he also needs to take some sort personal responsibility, both on the field and off it.

Bebestation

He's also just a bit thick. Multiple driving offences proves that, including driving whilst disqualified and failing to provide details on more than one occasion.

You can blame the club all you want, but he also needs to take some sort personal responsibility, both on the field and off it.
Well when you have a club that’s arguably producing sexual offenders and illegal drivers - maybe it is more down to the clubs ability to bring up a right mentality in some of these players than I initially thought.

Smores

Even his defensive ability was causing us issues in the end. Great tackler but his positioning was horrible at times.

In a few years he might develop into a rounded fullback but he's certainly not up to right now.

Revaulx

Well when you have a club that’s arguably producing sexual offenders and illegal drivers - maybe it is more down to the clubs ability to bring up a right mentality in some of these players than I initially thought.
There’s a lot of truth in all three of these posts.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Responsibility for not being coached beyond a remedial level? A charge all our players can throw at the club.

Like I said, we did awfully by these players; whatever he might've been, we made damn sure he wouldn't be. Not even sure he's better now than when he arrived.

It's beyond hope now and what's done is done, but it's been a shocking chapter, especially so for a club that was the forerunner for developing players.

flappyjay

Call us armchair coaches and then you have people getting payed millions who thought this guy should play for Manchester United. It's not a good look when fans on a forum are right about a 50m rb.

Tavern in the town

Responsibility for not being coached beyond a remedial level? A charge all our players can throw at the club.

Like I said, we did awfully by these players; whatever he might've been, we made damn sure he wouldn't be. Not even sure he's better now than when he arrived.

It's beyond hope now and what's done is done, but it's been a shocking chapter, especially so for a club that was the forerunner for developing players.
Robertson moving from Hull to Liverpool is roughly equivalent to the step up Wan-Bissaka made, and Wan-Bissaka was definitely the higher rated footballer at the time of both their transfers. Now obviously I’m not suggesting he should be a Robertson level footballer but it’s clear the difference in the level of coaching both received is a massive factor in how good/shite they turned out.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I don't think he is a great defender on a consistent basis. The frequent lapses in concentration, failing to mark his man and unwillingness to track back harder arent the signs of a great defender.

Glad that he will be moved on soon. Thank you Ole for Awb and your friends.

Traub

Ah shame, I don't know why but always had a soft spot for the lad, oh well , wish him the best.

I guess timber is incoming then.
Agreed. I think it's because he always looks like he is trying his best but ultimately just isn't good enough.

mikeyt

Perhaps there's a feeling that Dalot has more chance of developing his defensive side than AWB has of developing his ability to attack and so he's the one to go to make room for Timber.

Unless Dalot has an incredible year of development I fully expect him to be gone come next summer too.

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Palace wouldn’t take him back that’s the problem
They probably would, their only real right back is Clyne who is now just the wrong side of 30 and Martin Kelly can cover there but not an ideal replacement.

Loan with £20mil obligation or just £20mil would do it for me.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If he has heart, then he definitely does not have the lungs. For a modern fullback, hes shockingly lethargic in getting into advanced positions and slow at running the other way too.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Robertson moving from Hull to Liverpool is roughly equivalent to the step up Wan-Bissaka made, and Wan-Bissaka was definitely the higher rated footballer at the time of both their transfers. Now obviously I’m not suggesting he should be a Robertson level footballer but it’s clear the difference in the level of coaching both received is a massive factor in how good/shite they turned out.
I've been beyond frustrated how we've frittered away so much development and essentially thrown countless 20somethings and late teens to the wolves.

We obviously don't know what could've been with AWB, but to see such stasis across so many players is not normal and points the finger right back at us.

Perhaps Robertson was always destined to surpass him, but the disparate coaching guaranteed it and that's such a damning indictment on what's gone on here.

Tavern in the town

I've been beyond frustrated how we've frittered away so much development and essentially thrown countless 20somethings and late teens to the wolves.

We obviously don't know what could've been with AWB, but to see such stasis across so many players is not normal and points the finger right back at us.

Perhaps Robertson was always destined to surpass him, but the disparate coaching guaranteed it and that's such a damning indictment on what's gone on here.
It’s something that never really gets talked about when people criticise our recruitment. I sometimes wonder if our recruitment is really that bad, because most of the players we sign actually have really good reputations and we’re always generally pretty happy with the signings bar a few exceptions. Even players like Darmian and Schneiderlin who turned out absolute shite were players the fans actually clamoured for. Who knows how they’d have turned out if we’d actually appointed decent managers.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
It's not the club's responsibility to ensure young players grow into decent human beings. That's a parent's responsibility.

redshaw

Thought he could've been a solid option with the right coaching/guidance but also the club not willing to let him go after spending 50 mill. Not been impressed with AWB or Dalot but the first season of AWB was decent enough if we understand we can't fix everything at once. I wouldn't have bought him in the first place.

Perhaps there's more behind the scenes and I remember how him and his family were taken aback by our interest and felt they might as well try a move but seemed to want to stay where they were. I don't think the motivation and character has been there to make it happen aside from ability but we haven't help him bed in either. He seems very nervous out there and not highly thought of at all by some of the coaches on the continent, probably a more baffling price than Maguire.

Perhaps he'll still be here one more year if we can't sell and the club don't fancy £10-14 million offers.

redcucumber

Robertson was always destined to surpass AWB - he has an elite mentality and a willingness to push on that AWB doesn't have. How many times have we seen AWB casually jog back after being caught up the pitch? People only typically remember his last ditch slide tackles, but there have been countless occasions where he just hasn't shown the type of desire you expect from a young and upcoming defender. When you combine a lack of hunger and desire with rank ineptitude on the ball, the situation he finds himself in feels completely inevitable.

Also, I massively disagree with lumping Greenwood in with the likes of AWB and McTominay @Fortitude. Towards the end, Greenwood was evolving into a much more rounded and accomplished footballer. His performance in the 2-2 draw with Villa was testament to that. He was our primary playmaker that day, dropping deep to get on the ball and spreading the play, while taking players on and driving us forward with surging runs. If you want to blame the club for the mishandled development of AWB, you also have to credit them with the fact that Greenwood was clearly on the way to becoming one of the most potent forwards in the game.

That'sHernandez

Thought he could've been a solid option with the right coaching/guidance but also the club not willing to let him go after spending 50 mill. Not been impressed with AWB or Dalot but the first season of AWB was decent enough if we understand we can't fix everything at once. I wouldn't have bought him in the first place.

Perhaps there's more behind the scenes and I remember how him and his family were taken aback by our interest and felt they might as well try a move but seemed to want to stay where they were. I don't think the motivation and character has been there to make it happen aside from ability but we haven't help him bed in either. He seems very nervous out there and not highly thought of at all by some of the coaches on the continent, probably a more baffling price than Maguire.

Perhaps he'll still be here one more year if we can't sell and the club don't fancy £10-14 million offers.
His nervousness is a mentality issue. He's not well thought of by continental coaches because he is technically a very poor player.

Bebestation

It's not the club's responsibility to ensure young players grow into decent human beings. That's a parent's responsibility.
I felt I learnt plenty from my parents but I also learnt a lot at my schools how to be properly socially balanced.

Plenty of people see that players get big headed or self centered once joining United or going up a level. Some even lazy.

I feel that United could help get the right social mindset at a club, the same way a school may praise a good student but punish a bad one with the hope of getting that student to change.

::sonny::

They probably would, their only real right back is Clyne who is now just the wrong side of 30 and Martin Kelly can cover there but not an ideal replacement.

Loan with £20mil obligation or just £20mil would do it for me.
Not sure they willing to pay his wage

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If he has heart, then he definitely does not have the lungs. For a modern fullback, hes shockingly lethargic in getting into advanced positions and slow at running the other way too.
Yeah. He’s so lackadaisical. You can see him jog towards players or jog into position and being found out.

He seems to lack the desire to be great at his role.

That'sHernandez

I felt I learnt plenty from my parents but I also learnt a lot at my schools how to be properly socially balanced.

Plenty of people see that players get big headed or self centered once joining United or going up a level. Some even lazy.

I feel that United could help get the right social mindset at a club, the same way a school may praise a good student but punish a bad one with the hope of getting that student to change.
It is not an employer’s responsibility to ‘punish’ someone for bad behaviour outside of their workplace. Obviously I guess there’s a code of conduct for a place like United but ultimately it’s not their responsibility to have told a player like Greenwood beating and raping women is bad.

Ekeke

I like him enough but with Dalot doing well (and better than given credit for at times on here) and a new manager coming in and looking to add his own players it would seem like now would be the time that he does move on to get first team football. Think he's much better than people in this thread suggest and would be a good signing for Newcastle, Brighton for when they play 4 at the back which they went to this season and other teams looking to push on from mid table towards the europa league places. We obviously wont come close to recouping what we paid for him

Status
Not open for further replies.