Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Red cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
It is not an employer’s responsibility to ‘punish’ someone for bad behaviour outside of their workplace. Obviously I guess there’s a code of conduct for a place like United but ultimately it’s not their responsibility to have told a player like Greenwood beating and raping women is bad.
Well again your true - some of our worst "employers" have actuallly come through our youth systems from the time where any other human would have been in school.

Id say its kind of in the middle.

On a technical level If a player is not improving then you could blame the coach or the teacher aswell right?

Alot of our players are not growing or improving on a footballing level - to expect players to grow or show mentality, professionalism or Leadership can to some level be linked to the club aswell.

Kag

AWB is a lot worse, nowhere near a United level player and we paid £50m for the privilege, shows what a shitshow we have been the past 9 years.
Wan-Bissaka is a considerably better defender and that isn’t up for debate.

united for life

I would agree to selling AWB only if we are signing a replacement. Then Dalot would stay for rotation. But selling him and playing Dalot is insane given that Dalot almost doesn’t know how to defend.

Dan_F

I hope the scouts that took part in bringing him to the club are part of the group that left recently. A truly awful signing and the worst thing is that the flaws should be so obvious to anyone who watched him for 10 games.

I had no real clue about him when he signed, I don’t watch Palace, but his lack of confidence/communication was immediately more concerning than his technical ability. No excuse for a scout not to have major red flags over both, let along signing off on a £50 million fee.

pascell

Guy was learning the position on the spot and we paid £50m for the privilege.

Whoever advocated the signing I hope has been sacked since, nowhere near a United level player.

Greck

If it makes his people feel any better he was probably getting binned with or without Dalot. These total football managers don't like technically poor footballers. The Dalot whataboutism is also misplaced. Besides the belief was that ETH was going to improve the attacking aspect of AWB's game but now that he's getting sold there's no point working with Dalot. Some of these posts sound bitter, almost like "If it doesn't work out for the one I like then both must be sold". It's like wanting the club to avenge your own misguided expectations.

The only thing that needs to be avenged are the fools who sat at that meeting that agreed to pay 50m for him. They all need to be sacked. SAF would never have bought Smalling if Fulham asked for 30m. What the hell kind of stupid core were Ole and co building.

NoPace

The surprising part with him is that it really seemed like he could dribble at Palace and that would make up for his passing being weak, but he so rarely beat wingers who were closing him down at angles that make it easier to do so.

hobbers

No, as has been pointed out dozens and dozens of times, he's good at last ditch tackles but he's a rubbish defender.

Ekeke

No, as has been pointed out dozens and dozens of times, he's good at last ditch tackles but he's a rubbish defender.
And its wrong everytime. He makes mistakes defensively, he's not very strong in the air and he doesnt always track back and get into a good position. Then at other times he covers for a CB who has made a mistake and gets himself in a good position and bails them out with a block or tackle.

Fullbacks make plenty of errors leading to goals, in the air, playing people onside, not getting goalside of someone at the back post. Watch any top team and you'll see thats where they concede the majority of the goals, its not normally CBs making individual errors like ours do.

He's unquestionably overall a better defender than most of those fullbacks. But what he isnt is what most people want from a fullback these days, which is a player who looks threatening down the wing. Robertson, Alexander-Arnold, Chilwell, Walker and all the rest dont get talked about as much for their defensive errors because they're better in general attacking play than AWB and they're in successful teams. But they are comfortably worse defenders who have to do less of it and play next to CBs who arent making as many individual mistakes next to them.

He's absolutely fine (on form like first 2 seasons) but he can be upgraded on for a player who is almost as good defensively but can be an auxillary right winger like our supporters actually want. And when that player makes the same mistakes and worse they'll be forgiven because of how they attack.

Duafc

Village Lemon
He’s a very bad defender, a pub level technical footballer and a world class 1 on 1 duelist.

The slide tackles have made people go soft in the head - every other aspect of defending he is at best average and more usually disastrous. As soon as a team stop trying to have one player run him (Sterling) literally everything else will succeed in making him look a very poor defender.

All of which is totally totally redundant as his ability on the ball should preclude him for playing for United or any top half team.

Dalot’s probably as bad a defender, but miles miles better on the ball (average PL level).

El-Manos

He seems like a great professional but just simply not good enough. Brilliant 1 on 1 everything else is debatable.

Marwood

He's not just slide tackles. He's very quick. He's brave as well. You ever seen AWB rolling around? These are very good attributes in a fullback.

He can beat a man and create a yard as well. He's pretty good in tight spots.

It's his passing and confidence that's the problem. Which is pretty major at a big club.

But we shouldn't be selling him for less than £30 million.

LJJT

He's not just slide tackles. He's very quick. He's brave as well. You ever seen AWB rolling around? These are very good attributes in a fullback.

It's his passing and confidence that's the problem. Which is pretty major at a big club.

Agree on this confidence on the pitch is so low from him,

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
What is the definition of better defender? Defending one v one situation like his tackle? That aspect he’s better and one of the best in the league no doubt. But his positioning and man-marking skill is not better!! Bissaka positioning and man-marking have been poor for ages with no improvement.

Greck

I had to make sure I didn't click the wrong browser tab. Wan Bissaka right? He can do no such thing except the odd occasion where a wildly loose touch catches the defender off guard (and let's be honest himself as well). AWB doesn't even look comfortable carrying the ball when unmarked, he can't beat anyone. Pretty sure we would have collectively noticed if our once starting fullback could dribble. AWB's family members don't even believe this.

edit I admire the optimism though. We should def put that in the brochure when we entertain prospective buyers.

Last edited:

dan1509

This guy was never good enough, and its not due to lack of effort either. I can never hate on a player who tries their best, and I do admire him for that, but please he has to go. There's a reason no other "big" teams are lining up to buy him right now.

Marwood

I had to make sure I didn't click the wrong browser tab. Wan Bissaka right? He can do no such thing except the odd occasion where a wildly loose touch catches the defender off guard (and let's be honest himself as well). AWB doesn't even look comfortable carrying the ball when unmarked, he can't beat anyone. Pretty sure we would have collectively noticed if our once starting fullback could dribble. AWB's family members don't even believe this.

edit I admire the optimism though. We should def put that in the brochure when we entertain prospective buyers.
Depends on what you expect from a fullback. You seem to want levels of dribbling you see in a winger.

He can beat a man well enough to create space to get a cross in. That's all a fullback needs to do.

Problem is once he's got that space he can't really cross the ball.

arthurka

Funny how this forum is either world class or bust. AWB clearly has great attributes he has good stamina, good tackler, brave, decent pace and has decent skills. But his price should have bought the absolute best and he isn't that by any stretch. He is a limited player and not good enough for Utd. He absolutely is a good player for some teams with a different setup. He should at least fetch 25-30m

Marwood

Funny how this forum is either world class or bust. AWB clearly has great attributes he has good stamina, good tackler, brave, decent pace and has decent skills. But his price should have bought the absolute best and he isn't that by any stretch. He is a limited player and not good enough for Utd. He absolutely is a good player for some teams with a different setup. He should at least fetch 25-30m
Don't think that's the case and especially not with AWB. Nobody is calling him world class for instance.

Gurtej

This, players worse than him go for above 30m…. We are underestimating worth of our players simply because the old regime couldn’t be bothered to hire someone to do it…

I still maintain that hun, Henderson and Martial should give us 100m….I will sell Rashford for another 40-50m…. I will sell Brandon Williams, Baily, Telles, Perrira, Mctominay, Even Elanga (stop over hyping the guy)… for another 80-100m…. Heck add one of Maquire (40m) or Lindelof (30m) to the mix….

None of these players should ever play for man utd….

And go all out and spend 150m budget plus sales money from above ….. and get 6-7 players who can help us get top 4 next year and add 2-3 quality players for next 2-3 windows and we will be back to the old United!!

We have way too many highly paid mediocre players!!

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Il kind of miss him a bit even though this year i kind of forgot about him/gave up.

I think as our 2nd RB on the bench that he could show some quality once in a while when needed as our substitute option covering a more gung ho style attacker.

I guess thats why he is for sale - there is a player there who is worth some money 20+m compared to Dalot & maybe ten hag has that defensive RB lined up in timber.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If he has heart, then he definitely does not have the lungs. For a modern fullback, hes shockingly lethargic in getting into advanced positions and slow at running the other way too.
Yep, good point. Aaron Jogbacka loved a half-hearted turnover in the middle of the field

GoldanoGraham

Guy was learning the position on the spot and we paid £50m for the privilege.

Whoever advocated the signing I hope has been sacked since, nowhere near a United level player.
Thankfully they have now left recently……

redcucumber

Il kind of miss him a bit even though this year i kind of forgot about him/gave up.

I think as our 2nd RB on the bench that he could show some quality once in a while when needed as our substitute option covering a more gung ho style attacker.

I guess thats why he is for sale - there is a player there who is worth some money 20+m compared to Dalot & maybe ten hag has that defensive RB lined up in timber.
Nothing about him suggests he's the sort of player/person that can sit idly on the bench for the majority of the season and then suddenly turn it on whenever he makes a sporadic appearance. Tsimikas at Liverpool appears to have that ability, AWB much less so. He needs to be in a defensively minded team in which he is a mainstay in the defence and is regularly kept on his toes by opposition attackers. Back to Palace for £20-25m sounds reasonable for all parties.

El Jefe

Anyone saying AWB and Dalot are equal defensively is blinded by hatred of the former. Dalot has never completely shut down a wide player he was up against, in fact its more common to see him embarrassed as Danjuma did in the Villareal home game. AWB has completely negated some of the best wide players in the world during his time here.

His main problem is he didn't progess defensively and IMO actually regressed a bit in his 1v1 ability this season. There's a need to paint him as being poor throughout his time here which is just untrue. He was definitely a successful signing in his first two years, although we probably still could've used an attacking option at RB. This season really was where he had an awful campaign.

Like someone said he could probably fetch us a lot more than Dalot so I'm ok with him being sold first.

NoLogo

Dalot’s probably as bad a defender, but miles miles better on the ball (average PL level).
Never had Dalot pecked as a top defender either, but according to the United page on the Athletic, he has won the most tackles of all our players, which actually surprised me. Doesn't mean he is great defensively, but at least he ain't completely useless.

Marwood

No but plenty calling him rubbish.
Yeah there is.

But you said he was also being called world class. With nothing inbetween. Clearly not the case.

I don't think he's rubbish but I understand why some do. He's a top level pro who can't really pass. I don't think I've seen him pass further than 20 yards. So he doesn't help himself even with his other attribtues in mind.

Last edited:

Oranges038

Anyone saying AWB and Dalot are equal defensively is blinded by hatred of the former.
Anyone who thinks either of them is good enough is just blind.

Neither of them can really defend, both are prone to falling asleep, positionally they are both awful, closing down crosses forget about it. Attacking wise, Dalot is a better passer and has better control of a football, AWB dribbles like a child running down a hill after a ball. Neither can cross the ball properly or consistently. It really isn't that hard to cross a ball, their crossing is non league level at best.

As sad as it is to say it, Dalot is just technically a better footballer. That's the only reason for picking him over AWB. Both of them should be given the boot.

Ole'sattheWheel

He had such a colossal start with us. Felt like nobody could get past him at times and then his form completely fell off a cliff. Shame as I really rated him at one point but looks like he’s off

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
This, players worse than him go for above 30m…. We are underestimating worth of our players simply because the old regime couldn’t be bothered to hire someone to do it…

I still maintain that hun, Henderson and Martial should give us 100m….I will sell Rashford for another 40-50m…. I will sell Brandon Williams, Baily, Telles, Perrira, Mctominay, Even Elanga (stop over hyping the guy)… for another 80-100m…. Heck add one of Maquire (40m) or Lindelof (30m) to the mix….

None of these players should ever play for man utd….

And go all out and spend 150m budget plus sales money from above ….. and get 6-7 players who can help us get top 4 next year and add 2-3 quality players for next 2-3 windows and we will be back to the old United!!

We have way too many highly paid mediocre players!!
That’s right because it’s so easy to sell your entire squad and buy 10 new players and mould it into a team that gets top 4 despite hardly knowing each other

tomaldinho1

Don't think that's the case and especially not with AWB. Nobody is calling him world class for instance.
There are genuinely people who think he has Sunday League first touch…it’s always extremes on here. Truth is with AWB, as with most players who get hammered, they’re somewhere in the middle. The issue is we don’t want that, we want to feel we have players who are amongst the best in their position - hence in the not too distant past seeing clueless posters proclaiming Shaw was better than Robertson after one good season.

I’m genuinely interested to see how all these players, AWB, Dalot, McT, Maguire, Rashford do in a set system with a manager who clearly isn’t going to suffer people who don’t buy into that system. We are hardly going to sell 5 players ontop of those already leaving and shifting AWB will be difficult, I can see him being here next season.

Red00012

There’s no club going to pay more than £20 million for this fella . I can see him going on loan.

Marwood

There are genuinely people who think he has Sunday League first touch…it’s always extremes on here. Truth is with AWB, as with most players who get hammered, they’re somewhere in the middle. The issue is we don’t want that, we want to feel we have players who are amongst the best in their position - hence in the not too distant past seeing clueless posters proclaiming Shaw was better than Robertson after one good season.

I’m genuinely interested to see how all these players, AWB, Dalot, McT, Maguire, Rashford do in a set system with a manager who clearly isn’t going to suffer people who don’t buy into that system. We are hardly going to sell 5 players ontop of those already leaving and shifting AWB will be difficult, I can see him being here next season.
I'm sticking up for the forum a bit. It's not just a place of extremes. There are plenty whose opinions are somewhere in the middle. It's just become a thing to say now.

I've always kind of liked him but there's no doubt his passing and crossing is really poor for this level. He has to be at 100% just to be adequate in that regard.

But like I've always said, a massive dose of confidence would help with that. It wouldn't improve his technique but it would help with decision making and a bit of composure.

Status
Not open for further replies.