Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
There has to be one doesn't there... ;)

You have a point, I don't think a bit of form erases the last few years which means we should probably not get ahead of ourselves and consider everything solved.

But I think the crucial thing is probably that this run of form entirely coincides with this manager, having taken him out of the team to work on his abilities. It's also a slightly different role he is playing. So as much as you could say the previous few years are not good enough for United, everything he has done under this manager has been pretty spot on without exception. It took him ages to arrive but once he has done, it has been impressive.

So I'd probably advocate for let's just see how he goes this season. Plenty of games to play and we need more than one right back.
Thing is I have never rated him. Never wanted him and stuck to my guns.

He's improved under ETH but he's still not an elite fullback and never will be. We need better than him going forwards if we want to be a major player again.

Sometimes this fanbase gets a little too carried away is all I'm saying.

LInkash

He's improved under ETH but he's still not an elite fullback and never will be. We need better than him going forwards if we want to be a major player again.

Do we need an absolute world beater at every single position?

CloneMC16

Do we need an absolute world beater at every single position?
To compete with City, probably. I still think that he is at least good enough to have in the squad. I would also be happy to see him starting at RB next season and strengthen some other positions.

mu4c_20le

We don't have any elite fullbacks. Your point is therefore moot.

LInkash

To compete with City, probably. I still think that he is at least good enough to have in the squad. I would also be happy to see him starting at RB next season and strengthen some other positions.
Well, Arsenal are competing with City just fine and Ben White is hardly a world class right back so I think AWB is more than capable, especially with his trajectory this season.

Sylar

Him going into the middle is a big surprise, but its worked well. Hes good at dribbling with the ball especially in the middle as it opens up more options for his passing, which on the side can sometimes let him down.

Him going in centrally is a good tactic to use to try and give eriksen and bruno more time and space.

Dominos

Well, Arsenal are competing with City just fine and Ben White is hardly a world class right back so I think AWB is more than capable, especially with his trajectory this season.
Ben White is a good technical footballer though which is why Arteta signed him in the first place (as CB). It might be a position they look at in the summer.

It's clear from watching how we pass the ball that the technical level of our team is really quite far behind City/Arsenal. To close that gap we really need to be replacing our weakest technical footballers with ones who's strengths lie in first touch, close control, passing, ball retention, and building from the back. Even with AWB's recent improvement he's never going to be that player.

Right back is a tricky one for us as AWB is probably better than Dalot but neither are the answer.

Long Time Red

AWB's performances since the World Cup are no worse than Kyle Walker's in City's title winning seasons.

It's a myth that you need attacking fullbacks to win games and titles.

Any fullback we get is going to be a downgrade defensively on AWB.

Castia

He plays this system very well he’s really good at coming inside and finding space through the middle

He looked out of the door a few months ago but he’s done a great job fair play to him

NoPace

I think he's played well but Dalot has more potential, so I still expect him to go, just think it will be for a surprisingly high fee now. A very good defensive fullback with stamina would do a lot for mid table teams with no solid option there, like Everton or Palace (they don't spend much though and have to replace Zaha and add 1-2 midfielders).

3KDré

I think we should keep him for rotation. He's shown he's able to do well in the Premier League in Ten Hag in certain games where we play more transition based. If we keep him and get in Frimpong we have a very good attacking fullback for when we dominate games and AWB for when we need to shut out any LW in the world. He is the best in the world 1v1 and we've seen him pocket Mbappe, Mane, Neymar, Zaha....I think that's an asset I think it would be silly to let go of.

Betson

Interesting to see what happens in the summer , he has had a very good season , if we still decide to sell I think there will be a lot of interested clubs looking for him.

Would not be disappointed to see him his stay , but if reports are true he is still likely to one on the way out.

bringbackbebe

Interesting to see what happens in the summer , he has had a very good season , if we still decide to sell I think there will be a lot of interested clubs looking for him.

Would not be disappointed to see him his stay , but if reports are true he is still likely to one on the way out.
I won't be disappointed either way. He's a good backup RB who can do a good job when called upon. His tackling and anticipation are top notch but his ball playing skills & lack of technique will always prevent him from being an elite full back.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The lad isnt going anywhere :D
A manager who has a secret utility weapon to completely shut down the opposition LW whether your Mbappe level or Saint maximin level isnt going to sell that.
Some fans just think every fullback needs to be brazillian & play like dani alves.
Some people will never rate a good quality defensive fullback, well, because they are not football managers.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

Really good development. I am still not sure if we should get a top RB or not but as other positions need renewal more urgently I would not be too worried with him and Dalot staying.

Cloud7

Fair play to him, improving when I didn't think it was possible. With him and Dalot I think we have time to focus on other areas before we need to look at improving the RB position.

Longshanks

Seeing him capably play the inverted full back role well in both attacking and defending phases is a massive testament to Ten hag and the coaching staff.

This was the sort of game that A.W.B would be an obvious weak point and attacks would break down when A.W.B got involved consistently, but now he is an effective attacking outlet getting heavily involved in dangerous attacking moves.

His one on one defending ability, last ditch tackling and recovery pace are top quality defensive assets, he is still questionable with his defensive positioning at times and can be a bit dopey and switch off to much.

I think we would be foolish to let him go, we know he can pocket any left winger in the world, now he can also be a useful outlet and capable of being involved in attacking moves without getting a nosebleed, he is still so young aswell feel like there could be more to come.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He's a very good ball carrier, has some nice little shimmys to get away from people too. Final ball still lacking but he's popping up in good areas. He was in the 10 position playing it wide to Casemiro for Martial's header :lol:

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Genuinely shocked by his improvements... he still has a way to go in terms of final ball/delivery, but in terms of confidence on the ball and actually looking like a real-life professional footballer... well it's night and day.

Brophs

The One and Only
He looks like one of the quietest players I’ve ever seen on the pitch. It’s almost odd.

Ash_G

His confidence on the ball definitely seems better than it was and I think a big thing as well is just energy/intensity from him, just feels a few gears higher. I assume it's partially coaching but suspect a lot if having to get his place from Dalot and then the need to perform. I think we have a few players like that unfortunately who need the threat of losing their place but so long as we have the competition in the squad then hopefully it's not an issue. Either way good to see and personally for me I'd put RB down the pecking order or things for us to address in the summer depending on what our budget is. Ideally though we make AWB/Dalot spend some time practicing crossing!

Ekeke

Dont expect many to agree, but also dont care if thats the case.

IMHO AWB is our most underrated passer of the ball. He's good at first time passing, finding a teammate with a pass that can help build an attack and even without the good first touch passing he can find teammates in good positions at times sneaking a nice pass into runs on the right wing inside him.

His problem is his first touch getting the ball under control to keep it and perhaps dribble with it. This is where he can be loose and ungainly and give the impression "he has bad technical ability", which plenty of posters can then not be able to seperate different individual skills and appreciate that actually he's passing the ball well despite it.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I honestly think we have bigger fish to fry than signing a new RB. I know we've been heavily linked recently to Frimpong, but unless we have a big budget in the summer I'd much rather we target the real priority positions (GK; CM; no.9).

Only way I see Frimpong/proposed RB making sense is if we let Dalot go and the money we get for Dalot massively subsidises a move for his replacement.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Wasted 3 years of his younger days under incompetent managers/coaches. Of course he's still responsible for his own development as well.

But.... just starting as regular post-WC 4 months ago, and he's improving to where he's now. Just makes you wonder if only.

PoTMS

They just let us pass the ball to him, closed him down and promptly won the ball back.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m gonna call it, when he plays beside the chuckle brothers the nerves spread to him. When he’s with anyone else as a cb pairing he looks a different player

Ekeke

They just let us pass the ball to him, closed him down and promptly won the ball back.
No they didnt

He had almost 85% pass accuracy and lost the ball from 2 first touches and tackled another time.

Eriksen lost the ball after taking a first touch 5 times, tackled an extra time on top of that and had 82.5% pass accuracy

Sevilla pressed our team. AWB was just one of those players being pressed and the entire team struggled against it

Status
Not open for further replies.