6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Maybe he was tired. He was strolling about letting crosses come in freely.

PoTMS

He's shite. But we knew that.

Meanwhile Ten Hag has our least technical player playing as an inverted right back/centre midfielder/striker.

ti vu

Some other teams may not know how to play against him, but it seems like Tottenham had learned about his weaknesses since Mourinho time. They pass and move around him instead of trying to take him on 1vs 1.

Abraxas

I think his good form has gone to his head. That or his legs had gone after his recent starts, I'm not sure which. Either way not very impressive, he was letting Perisic have the freedom of London.

FerociousCorgis

positioning wise he was a mess, literally could see it the whole time. Also for someone who is so athletic the way he just stands back 5 yards trying to "block" the cross is ridiculous.

twitter thread suggester
He is so lackluster. No urgency at all. He does not seem to realize danger.

Lecland07

Looked tired to me; found it difficult to recover. Played 101 minutes against Brighton, so not really surprised.

Antony wasn't really providing much support today, either.

He seemed to be positioned in midfield at times, so think we were trying something. But doesn't look like it worked as planned.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
positioning wise he was a mess, literally could see it the whole time. Also for someone who is so athletic the way he just stands back 5 yards trying to "block" the cross is ridiculous.
I've been noticing this too but I do wonder how much of that is instruction because I seem to remember him being a lot more direct one vs one, and these days he do seem to 'wait out' attackers a lot more frequently. I don't like when they do that because it invites pressure and creates danger, and really it just puts us on the back foot. I love when he just plays his natural game which is more risk but more reward in retaining the ball quickly. He could be more dominant and aggressive, imo.

Ekeke

I’m gonna give him some leeway and assume it was EtH’s instruction to stay in field, but even his 1v1 defending today was suspect, crosses came freely in from that side.
From both sides. Had a few moments where he did some good defending in the middle helping the CBs but certainly tested more on the wing than most weeks in physical battles with Richarlison and then Perisic getting the ball across. Perisic had 9 crosses this match and 1 finding a teammate. Not sure how many were set pieces

InfiniteBoredom

From both sides. Had a few moments where he did some good defending in the middle helping the CBs but certainly tested more on the wing than most weeks in physical battles with Richarlison and then Perisic getting the ball across. Perisic had 9 crosses this match and 1 finding a teammate. Not sure how many were set pieces
The left side issue became much more pronounced in the 2nd half, as Rashford stopped running and Malacia lost nearly all his duels. For the first 60 minutes, all of their brightest chance came from the right, simply because AWB vacated the space down thar right hand side and once he got back they were already in or at the edge of our box.

Lassitude42

Not his best game and ETH got it wrong by playing him far too high. Should have stuck closer to Richarlison and played more conservatively. One of quite a few things the coach misjudged today.

Munkehboi

Watching him casually jog towards Perisic when he was about to recieve the ball really annoyed me tonight. Gave him far to much space and time to come into our penalty area. I can only imagine he completely misread the situation but watching him this season is like watching a player accelerate in quicksand. It's like he just cant take off from a standing/jogging position.

lex talionis

An offday after an impressive 2-3 month run from AWB. What I'd say in general about our back line is that we're going to sit on a two goal lead, then sit on it properly and bolt the fecking door.

Red00012

Terrible 2nd half
We managed to work it out from the back early in the 2nd half only for AWB to check back after playing around the Spurs press and give it back to them :wenger:

ti vu

I must’ve been watching a different game! :nervous:
You must.

AWB is all over the place this game. The sequence before Rashford goal, AWB got baited to throw in a tackle which was evaded with pass and go. Perisic was clean through on goal with option to square the ball. In the first half, there was plenty of those give and go moment with Kane, PEH, Richarlison... got to create opening on that side.

Second half was worse. AWB was lazily tracking back, and Son had a free shot from Kane cross. Dier header in front of goal were result of AWB being slow to close Perisic down allowing him to cross the ball comfortably. Their first goal is similar, Perisic put in the cross unchallenged.

Even when attacking the rebound for Bruno shot that hit the bar, he looked lost. Bruno dribbled through and had a shot for like 2 seconds, and AWB just stood there with his back facing Spurs goal. He didn't prepare himself so he ended up mess up a decent chance

Last edited:

Doracle

I don’t follow what EtH is trying to get him to do currently. He has been playing really well as an orthodox RB and we’ve suddenly got him playing the Zinchenko type position, regularly dropping into CM.

It feels like AWB isn’t comfortable with it and struggles to work out where he should be on the pitch. Also looked tired today. Hoping this was a one-off blip/experiment which won’t be repeated. Good AWB back for the next match please.

Blood Mage

Tonight showed why Ten Hag wants a new RB. Wan Bissaka is a fantastic orthodox RB but that's not what Ten Hag wants, he wants someone who can play the inverted wing-back role and help out in the midfield.

Doracle

Tonight showed why Ten Hag wants a new RB. Wan Bissaka is a fantastic orthodox RB but that's not what Ten Hag wants, he wants someone who can play the inverted wing-back role and help out in the midfield.
But isn’t that what Shaw does on the left? We only need one of them doing it and, if we’ve got Dalot playing LB, surely he should be the player dropping into midfield?

Shinjch

That second half he was absolutely shocking. There was even a point where Hojbjerg left him completely for dead in a foot race from the half way line to our box, that just shouldn't happen and shows a real lack of a proper mentality.

The Original

You must.

AWB is all over the place this game. The sequence before Rashford goal, AWB got baited to throw in a tackle which was evaded with pass and go. Perisic was clean through on goal with option to square the ball. In the first half, there was plenty of those give and go moment with Kane, PEH, Richarlison... got to create opening on that side.

Second half was worse. AWB was lazily tracking back, and Son had a free shot from Kane cross. Dier header in front of goal were result of AWB being slow to close Perisic down allowing him to cross the ball comfortably. Their first goal is similar, Perisic put in the cross unchallenged.

Even when attacking the rebound for Bruno shot that hit the bar, he looked lost. Bruno dribbled through and had a shot for like 2 seconds, and AWB just stood there with his back facing Spurs goal. He didn't prepare himself so he ended up mess up a decent chance
He didn't have a good game but this wasn't really on him. It was on Lindelof who simply allowed Perisic to get in behind him. In that sequence AWB's mistake was simply mistiming his tackle to intercept the ball, but even at that, his man was contained so no damage was done. It would have ended up exactly the same way as if he did not even attempt to tackle at all.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Some will people will never learn. He’ll have one great game and suddenly he’ll be this ever improving RB who is good enough to start and does his MAIN job so well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
But isn’t that what Shaw does on the left? We only need one of them doing it and, if we’ve got Dalot playing LB, surely he should be the player dropping into midfield?
We want both of them capable of it so the team can be balanced left to right. Sometimes holding width, sometimes inverting, sometimes dropping to be part of the back 3 in build up.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Very strange game from him.
First half he was mostly quite effective and I remember a lovely little pass just outside Spurs box but seems he struggled in the second half.
Needs more consistency for sure.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Some will people will never learn. He’ll have one great game and suddenly he’ll be this ever improving RB who is good enough to start and does his MAIN job so well.
Been the same with McTominay, Fred, Maguire,.. Just like you said some people will never learn.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's had months of good - great games. Why would you pick one poor game to make a point out of?
He’s improved to get back to what he showed under Ole and deserves credit for that. But even that essentially gets him to squad player / backup RB level. We need an upgrade.

izec

Terrible football brain. Positionally, he is just a lost case. Just suited to park the bus tactics, where not much is expected of him, just to tackle a million times.

Plays 5 games in a row, is already tired. No application and busting a gut in transition to defending. Give him a more attacking role, and he has no clue. Get rid already, with Maguire and Lindelöf they should look for new clubs.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
He was absolutely awful but I find some of the reactions a little surprising. He has been brilliant recently, and I'm firmly in the Dalot camp, so he does deserve some leeway. Hopefully, we see no more of what we saw yesterday.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Watching him casually jog towards Perisic when he was about to recieve the ball really annoyed me tonight. Gave him far to much space and time to come into our penalty area. I can only imagine he completely misread the situation but watching him this season is like watching a player accelerate in quicksand. It's like he just cant take off from a standing/jogging position.
I was screaming at him.

I don't know, I'm not much for the "passion" crowd and value a players skill set above all else, but it never seems like AWB cares/gets fired up about anything. That's not a big deal if you're a midfielder/ attacker, but as a defender where half of the battle is aggression/effort it's not exactly a good quality to lack

Irwin99

His positioning was really strange, was a mix between striker and AM at times
Was quite funny seeing him in centre midfield and near the Spurs box a few times. I just presumed someone was covering for him (at least I hoped someone was)

ti vu

He didn't have a good game but this wasn't really on him. It was on Lindelof who simply allowed Perisic to get in behind him. In that sequence AWB's mistake was simply mistiming his tackle to intercept the ball, but even at that, his man was contained so no damage was done. It would have ended up exactly the same way as if he did not even attempt to tackle at all.
I don't follow you. Are we talking about the same sequence?

This is around 42nd minute. Just seconds after AWB got yellow for a late challenge on Richarlison. He got pulled toward Perisic on a half turn quickly played the ball to Richarlison who marked by Lindelof.Perisic stepped on the gas, Richarlison laid the ball off into Perisic path. Perisic again played a quick give and go with Kane. AWB desperately tackled, but completely evaded. Kane played the ball into space. Perisic was clean through running toward at goal. Casemiro, Lindelof were stuck with their men and pulled out of the equation. AWB completely lost Perisic.

Perisic failed to score/ assist, so it's Okay that no damage done? Using the term "contained" here? Keeping running, tracking Perisic is no better than being on the floor after your tackle evaded, and your mark got through on goal?Disagree all here. Spurs stuck the knife in the second half, and created bundle of chances from our right side because as bad as their first half, our right side defending set the bad tone for the second half.

Perisic had a bad touch, even then he had more space than Rashford in our second goal immediately the next minute. Perisic made a mess of his chance, shooting straight at DDG with his left. It's still a big big chance, given he even had Son unmarked in support if he wanted to square the ball.

Last edited:

Lecland07

I don't follow you. Are we talking about the same sequence?

This is around 42nd minute. Just seconds after AWB got yellow for a late challenge on Richarlison. He got pulled toward Perisic on a half turn quickly played the ball to Richarlison who marked by Lindelof.Perisic stepped on the gas, Richarlison laid the ball off into Perisic path. Perisic again played a quick give and go with Kane. AWB desperately tackled, but completely evaded. Kane played the ball into space. Perisic was clean through running toward at goal. Casemiro, Lindelof were stuck with their men and out of the equation. AWB completely lost Perisic.

Perisic failed to score/ assist, so it's Okay that no damaged done? Disagreed there. Spurs stuck the knife in the second half, and create bundle of chances from our right side because as bad as their first half, our right side defending set the bad tone for the second half.

Perisic had a bad touch, even then he had more space than Rashford in our second goal immediately the next minute. Perisic made a mess of his chance, shooting straight at DDG with his left. It's still a big big chance, given he even had Son unmarked in support if he wanted to square the ball.
Well, a lot of that came down to positioning. Wan Bissaka was positioned higher up the pitch, which was clearly instruction. It didn't work; not sure whether someone was supposed to cover the RWB position when it was vacated but, either way, it didn't happen. I just think Ten Hag tried something today that didn't work.

On top of that, he was knackered, so maybe not the best game to try something new like that.

ti vu

Well, a lot of that came down to positioning. Wan Bissaka was positioned higher up the pitch, which was clearly instruction. It didn't work; not sure whether someone was supposed to cover the RWB position when it was vacated but, either way, it didn't happen. I just think Ten Hag tried something today that didn't work.

On top of that, he was knackered, so maybe not the best game to try something new like that.
It was man for man marking. Antony closed down Lenglet. Lindelof was right at Richarlison back. Casemiro got Kane. Everyone had a job here. The last cover is Shaw and that a huge space to defend. Even after DDG made the save, AWB didn't try to close down Perisic who ran to recover the ball by the corner flag. It's Casemiro effort that blocked Perisic cross, then Antony dispossessed Hojbjerg which got the ball to Bruno who pumped it to Rashford. Imagine Casemiro didn't take responsibility, so that Perisic was allowed to cross that ball and we could have the second goal. We could have lost this game playing that second half with only one goal lead!!!

AWB was not tight enough when Perisic received the ball in this sequence of play. Similar thing happened again and again in second half. So it's not like an one off.

This is first half. AWB didn't play the whole 120 + penalty like Lindelof, Shaw, Casemiro, Dalot. Why does it sound to me like you're ready to point at someone else for not covering for AWB, but not himself where he played the least minutes among those in that defense?

Edit: List of questionable AWB moment in the first half:

7th minute. not long after Sancho scored, Richarlison physically outfought Lindelof and AWB and the ball rolled to Persic. Perisic had enough space and time to shoft the ball around and put a dangerous ball across out goal.

16th played Richarlison on the other side onside with his awful position.

27th minute Hojbjerg and Richarlison interchange got Richarlison through behind Lindelof. Hojbjerg was in a tight spot the first time he's in possession but AWB backing off allowed him the space when he received the ball the second time in this sequence. Shaw blocked Richarlison cross.

33th minute Perisic chested ball to Richarlison (offside), and ran into our box to attack Richarlison return ball. AWB completely lost Perisic here.

39th Kane put the ball across our goal after interchange with Hojbjerg. Lindelof pointed instructed AWB to cover, but he was late so that his slide tackle block couldn't stop Kane.

42nd minute before Rashford goal, hook line sinker by Perisic as explained previously.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.