Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
[/QUOTE]
Does taking free kicks and penalties not count as attacking then? Being able to take them was part of Irwins attacking ability.

I didn’t realise it was that close to be fair
Tell that to the critics of Pogba. And when you have C Ronaldo playing in the team with you, you don't take pens or freekicks.

AdNani

Tell that to the critics of Pogba. And when you have C Ronaldo playing in the team with you, you don't take pens or freekicks.

And when you have Beckham in the team you take free kicks? And with Cantona you take all the pens?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And Inter with Baggio, Djorkaeff, Ronaldo and Zamorano. Juventus with Zidane, Inzaghi and Davids. Barcelona with Rivaldo and Luis Figo.

Irwin was a quality player and he would have been more than capable in any era.
He would've been capable, yes.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And when you have Beckham in the team you take free kicks? And with Cantona you take all the pens?
What has taking pens or freekicks got to do with how good they were in a attacking sense? Evra in 50 less appearances created more goals on average in a harder league.

Relfy

Would be a sensible signing and should close out the RB position for the foreseeable future. Dalot could be back up on RB and LB this coming season, and can also be used as a winger where needed, as he was at the back end of the season.

StrettyEnder07

As opposed to the squads Irwin faced, with City with Uwe Rosler. Liverpool with Souness, Spurs with Gary Mabutt and Chelsea with Dennis Wise.
Newcastle with Ginola, Ferdinand, Sherear, Arsenal back then were sensational, Villa had a class side, Norwich side that beat Munich away, Leeds back then who got to a UCL semi final, Blackburn when they won it in 95 with Shearer/Sutton, not to mention all the great European sides back then that we competed with year in year out.

Crazy that it's not been the same four teams who have been top dog for the last 30 years hey.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
@Adnan @AdNani is like Fer, Fernando and Fernandinho.

Reading the posts and was confused who is making which point. :D

Velvet Revolver

United's defence is in shambles, our CBs aren't clearly good enough, DDG might leave and Matic will be 1 year older next year. Adding a fullback whose pacey and great in defending is a non brainer unless of course we're bringing in Koulibaly, Oblak and Ndidi at one go. I also think that the criticism surrounding his attacking side is a bit OTT as well. First of all he played with Palace whose a defensive side. Secondly he had 3 assists this year which is more then the likes of Walker, at par with Trippier and Rose and 1 less then Luke Shaw. All these players are older then AWB and play in better teams
Fans expect too much from players these days. Fullback needs to have qualities of a winger, a winger needs to defend. Attacking players need to defend, defenders need to be able to provide a midfield splitting pass.

AdNani

What has taking pens or freekicks got to do with how good they were in a attacking sense? Evra in 50 less appearances created more goals on average in a harder league.
Do People score defensive free kicks and penalties? Scoring goals is attacking.

We’re never going to agree because it’s clear as day to me that Irwin was better and your the opposite so let’s just stop going off topic

StrettyEnder07

Are people actually trying to put across that Denis Irwin was not a good fullback, what have I walked onto here!

Evra was immense but Denis Irwin was absolutely sensational! I'm sure these will be the same fans who wouldn't put Bruce or Pallister in the same breath as Stam/Vidic/Rio simply due to playing in a different era.

A forum where fans are having a pop at Denis Irwin, christ almighty.

Reactions: golden_blunder

cyberman

He was hitting the post against Juventus in a UCL semi final proves he was good going forward?

I never said he was bad going forward, he just wasn't as great as some of you think he was IMO.
Making forward runs in a CL semi final away to Juve should show he wasn't some just some defensive LB who held his own on the flank.
That's just the obvious example to give. In a game where we overran the opposition Irwin was pushing forward taking advantage of the space our attackers were creating.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Making forward runs in a CL semi final away to Juve should show he wasn't some just some defensive LB who held his own on the flank.
That's just the obvious example to give. In a game where we overran the opposition Irwin was pushing forward taking advantage of the space our attackers were creating.
He was a capable fullback going forward, but he was no Frank De Boer or the speedy Lizarazu who both played in the same era.

And i'm not sure why people are getting defensive over Irwin when not one hateful word has been attributed to him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Are people actually trying to put across that Denis Irwin was not a good fullback, what have I walked onto here!

Evra was immense but Denis Irwin was absolutely sensational! I'm sure these will be the same fans who wouldn't put Bruce or Pallister in the same breath as Stam/Vidic/Rio simply due to playing in a different era.

Bruce and Pallister were not in the same breath as Stam/Rio and Vidic, that's easy to see tbf.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He's apparently liked a post on instagram by sky sports saying "United have a bid rejected by palace for AWB"

Seems this is a goer.

Nick7

Adnan is king football manager muppet to be fair. If a player is British, Irish or played/plays for us, he doesn't rate them. If they're good on FM or a fancy name they're be bee's fecking knees.

StrettyEnder07

Bruce and Pallister were not in the same breath as Stam/Rio and Vidic, that's easy to see tbf.
Nearly fell of my chair laughing then!!!!!! Bruce and Pallister not in the same breath as Rio and Vidic, jesus wept!

Assuming you're old enough to have watch Bruce and Pally on a weekly basis?

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Adnan is king football manager muppet to be fair. If a player is British, Irish or played/plays for us, he doesn't rate them. If they're good on FM or a fancy name they're be bee's fecking knees.
I guess you didn't read my posts in the Dan James or Sean Longstaff thread Nicholas..

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
OR, he liked it because he prefers to stay at Palace.

Boo non-muppet boo!
Yeah... let's be real nobody is staying at Palace if they get a chance to join us.

He's seemingly a united fan also which is nice.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Yup. And he's equally brilliant on both sides. Where you put him in our all time team would depends on whether you rated Gary or Pat more.

StrettyEnder07

Yup. And he's equally brilliant on both sides. Where you put him in our all time team would depends on whether you rated Gary or Pat more.
Very true mate, absolute legend is Denis, nothing surprises me on this forum mate, just found out that Bruce and Pally were pretty bang average by all accounts haha

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Nearly fell of my chair laughing then!!!!!! Bruce and Pallister not in the same breath as Rio and Vidic, jesus wept!

Bruce who couldn't even get into our poor national team at the time would be in the same breath as Rio, Vidic and Stam?

0le

I am looking forward to this signing (if it happens) and finally also seeing Young relegated to the bench.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Very true mate, absolute legend is Denis, nothing surprises me on this forum mate, just found out that Bruce and Pally were pretty bang average by all accounts haha
Nobody said they were bang average so please don't make things up.

StrettyEnder07

Bruce who couldn't even get into our poor national team at the time would be in the same breath as Rio, Vidic and Stam?
So being picked for your national side decides on how good you are? So you're saying Smalling & Jones are better than Bruce?

Cole, Fowler, Le Tiss didn't have very good international records, they all a bit shit, not up there with the top boys?

Talking absolute rubbish lad, the fact you are going by him never being capped, which 99% of football people think is outrageous, shows how weak your argument is.

Scary opinion, really is, your comments sum up this forum to a tee haha.

So assuming you watched him throughout the 90s then to have this opinion? You didn't answer the question in your post.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I am actually getting excited for this lad coming, I just want it done. 45m and some performance related bonuses. Can't wait for that Rock the Kasbah song for him.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So being picked for your national side decides on how good you are? So you're saying Smalling & Jones are better than Bruce?

Cole, Fowler, Le Tiss didn't have very good international records, they all a bit shit, not up there with the top boys?

Talking absolute rubbish lad, the fact you are going by him never being capped, which 99% of football people think is outrageous, shows how weak your argument is.

Scary opinion, really is, your comments sum up this forum to a tee haha.

So assuming you watched him throughout the 90s then to have this opinion? You didn't answer the question in your post.
Bruce was slow as feck and wasn't good enough on the ball. To compare him to Rio, Stam and Vidic is an absolute joke. He wasn't anywhere near as good as them .

StrettyEnder07

Bruce was slow as feck and wasn't good enough on the ball. To compare him to Rio, Stam and Vidic is an absolute joke. He wasn't anywhere near as good as them .
And you are basing this on what? For the 3rd time, you watch him play week in week out?

Slow as feck, not good on the ball yet took our pens for a few years and hardly missed, I can't take you seriously.

Arguably one of the worst comments I have ever come across on here, Steve Bruce not good enough on the ball, what are you even on about.

Embarrassing really is, stunned here!

StrettyEnder07

I know this is off topic, but I have to ask this, guys everyone on here, just a quick yes or no:

Steve Bruce, would you say he is in the same league as our other great CBs (I would go further into the past but Adnan's head might blow up if I start mentioning names he's never heard off).

So quick Yes or No, Steve Bruce up there with the Stams/Vidas/Rios of this world?

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I know this is off topic, but I have to ask this, guys everyone on here, just a quick yes or no:

Steve Bruce, would you say he is in the same league as our other great CBs (I would go further into the past but Adnan's head might blow up if I start mentioning names he's never heard off).

So quick Yes or No, Steve Bruce up there with the Stams/Vidas/Rios of this world?
Yes for me.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
And you are basing this on what? For the 3rd time, you watch him play week in week out?

Slow as feck, not good on the ball yet took our pens for a few years and hardly missed, I can't take you seriously.

Arguably one of the worst comments I have ever come across on here, Steve Bruce not good enough on the ball, what are you even on about.

Embarrassing really is, stunned here!
I was at Bramall Lane in Sheffield when he missed a pen against them in the cup.

You're comparing Steve Bruce to Rio, Vidic and Stam. In what sense does he compare to them?

AdNani

What a Partnership they were. Pallister is one of my favourite ever united players

AgentP

Looks like we'll get him with the new bid. Even Palace can't expect more than this for him.

StrettyEnder07

I was at Bramall Lane in Sheffield when he missed a pen against them in the cup.

You're comparing Steve Bruce to Rio, Vidic and Stam. In what sense does he compare to them?
Leader, great in the air, commanding at the back, reading of the game, he was very underrated at bringing the ball out of the back, goal scoring CB, massive personality in the dressing room, handle major pressure, always a rock in big games, scored big goals, throw his body in front of everything, brave.

Want me to go on? Well for someone who went to games back then, I cannot actually believe your opinion of him, won't go on cos everyone is entitled to them but stunned.

He compares as a CB more to Vida and Stam, Pally/Ronny Johnson more so to Rio but when I said compare I did mean by elite status and not what type of CB they were.

You don't rate Bruce as one of our great elite CBs, your call, personally amazed.

Was at the game against Sheff Wed with his two headers, virtually won us the league, massive game player in one of the biggest stages of them all, heroic CB for me

Status
Not open for further replies.