Aaron Wan-Bissaka | The Ornacle speaks: It is done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
I personally do not see AWB having many problems improving the attacking side to his game at all.

In fact, I do think the whole 'he's great at defending, but not attacking' line a bit overdone on here in general.

Would be very happy if/when we sign him.

SteveW

That was Phil Jonesesque. Sliced og with wrong foot. What was he doing?

passing-wind

:lol: it's a terrible own goal but I'd sooner assess AWB over the course of a season vs a singular game he's had a consistent game to be fair. Still better than Young and Dalot.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
70mil for a player that can't even use his left foot?

Kaglish10

You're more than entitled to your opinion, but I think that view is shaped by what fullbacks have been asked to do in the last 5-10 years. Gone are the days when someone like Neville - never the most explosive attacker - would be the archetypal fullback. Maybe the game is truly moving toward flair players at outside back, but I would be shocked if we don't see some regression to the mean, where a fullback's defending is prized as highly as attacking ability.

To your second point: I would consider Lahm as a defender first, who improved in the attack as he got older. Javier Zanetti as well, although he never contributed as much to the attack as many modern defenders. Ashley Cole, from my memory (although it's been a long time since he was relevant, and I only tangentially followed his exploits at Arsenal) started out as a rock solid defender and became more and more of a wing back as he entered his peak.
Lahm has always been a technical player.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
True, no argument there. Still, I'd rather have a defender who might improve his crossing than an attacking fullback who can't defend. Especially if we don't drastically improve our central defense and holding midfield options. Liverpool can only play such sharp counter-attacking football because they are building from a solid defensive base. Their fullbacks can bomb forward with nary a care because they know they've got VVD and co. covering their backs.

The most essential aspect of counter-attacking football is being able to win the ball back efficiently and before it enters the danger areas - I'd rather start with solid defenders and improve our attackers (Liverpool also has Salah, Mane, and Firmino bombing forward on the counter - not something to discount) before worrying about having ultra-proficient attacking fullbacks. That's just my personal preference, however.
Before they had VVD, Liverpool fullback still good in attacking with two clowns as their CBs.

Celoti23-81

Young English talent eh! For 50 million too. I'd take every France player above England's players but for foden and Madison.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Andy Robertson. Contributed feck all offensively at Hull, I think he is not bad going forward now.
He was very good offensively at Hull. I don’t know how his attacking looked for those who watch football on Opta, but he was great at dribbling forward with the ball and bringing his team up the field.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Someone needs to Photoshop Jones' gurn face onto AWB as he's slicing that into the back of his own net.

Kaglish10

Technical but not an attacking threat. He was obviously blessed with superior technical ability. Him becoming a danger as an outlet on the right developed as he got older.
Bissaka isn't even a technical player to begin with. Lahm was a good passer with good vision.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
:lol: it's a terrible own goal but I'd sooner assess AWB over the course of a season vs a singular game he's had a consistent game to be fair. Still better than Young and Dalot.
Thankfully he just had one of those right in front of us in the PL. what were your assessments?

Nero

Clumsy and awkward in possession. Gave the ball away a few times in dangerous areas. Topped off with an own goal because he couldn't use his left foot.

£50m? I'd rather put faith in Dalot and Laird.

Kearnkoff69

Before they had VVD, Liverpool fullback still good in attacking with two clowns as their CBs.
Yep, and they shipped 38 goals. This year, with VVD, they only let in 24 goals. Makes a big difference come the end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.