Aaron Wan Bissaka

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If he is poor going forwards then there's no point getting him. If we feel he has potential in attack if nurtured /coached better, then can see it happening as defensively/physically he seems very adept.

stevoc

That's why I'd play them further higher up the pitch so that attacking wise they have to do less running but also that defensively - they push the attackers inwards towards a back 3.

Have defensive wingback that play around attacking ball playing CB's.

When the attackers get pushed in towards the back 3 - the most central defender will be a shadow CDM that initiates a tackle and spreads the ball to a ball playing defender on the right or left of him to start a counter attack.

The wingback will have the wider deeper areas covered - leaving the likes of Rashford, Martial, Lukaku and Greenwood purely playing on the left or right channel waiting for that counter attacking ball to come their way.

Just as much the shadow CDM playing as a CB in the defensive line helps the back 2 have a destroyer playing in front of them (making a back 3) - the front 2 will also have a false 9 that interlink the front 2 together (the reason Lingard is important to Ole).

What this allows is a defensive line of a back 5 when we don't have the ball and an attacking line of a front 5 when we do.

Ole has been playing around with 2 strikers and 3 defenders during matches, playing with false nines in attack and guarders in defence (though we saw this with Jose more when matic & mctomminay played as CB); so I wouldn't be all surprised if he did something like this.
He hasn't started a game with 352 yet though, he seems to prefer 433 or 442 diamond and from everything i've seen and heard of his time at Molde he likes to play with wingers. So it will probably be variations of 443 and 4231 next season.

I'm sure he might use 352 at times but i doubt it will be our default system.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
At the end of the day, it is all about balance. We can accommodate 2 "defensively" strong fullbacks if we sign the "right" RW and if OGS intends on playing without a DM and employ 2 box to box midfielders behind Pogba. That could compensate a bit.

But in the end, we've seen the contributions, especially in attack, from the top clubs' fullbacks. So it's probably not the best way to go. But both Shaw and AWB are young. There's nothing stopping them from developing and improving their offensive play/final delivery.

LuisNaniencia

Sky Sports called my bluff
At the end of the day, it is all about balance. We can accommodate 2 "defensively" strong fullbacks if we sign the "right" RW and if OGS intends on playing without a DM and employ 2 box to box midfielders behind Pogba. That could compensate a bit.

But in the end, we've seen the contributions, especially in attack, from the top clubs' fullbacks. So it's probably not the best way to go. But both Shaw and AWB are young. There's nothing stopping them from developing and improving their offensive play/final delivery.
Definitely, and I would argue Shaws delivery has improved a lot this season alone. The cross to Lukaku vs Arsenal for example.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Definitely, and I would argue Shaws delivery has improved a lot this season alone. The cross to Lukaku vs Arsenal for example.
Yeah, absolutely. Personally, I'd prefer a defensively strong fullback, as the offensive side can be worked on a bit, and if your winger is pretty great, the issue is less severe.

I'm not criticizing him too much because Robertson has been the best LB in the EPL for the last year or so, but against Munich he was caught horribly out of position/run in behind by Gnabry a few times. Once resulting in their goal and another couple of times where Lewa were inches away from scoring. That could have been very costly at that level of competition.

Walters_19_MuFc

Yesterday, I dreamt that we signed him.

I also feel hes not as bad going forward as some are making out. He used to be a right winger.

As Carragher said, full backs are either failed wingers or centre backs. :lol:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
His end product in the final third leaves alot to be desired.
That doesn't mean not good, he is a very good dribbler and can link up with the winger in front well and can beat players, just needs to work on his delivery which is possible.

Devil may care

Then why has he got one of the best dribble completion rates in the league?
If you watch him you'll see a lot of his dribbling is done in his own half to beat the press of a winger, a good quality to have but nobody is doubting he's defensively good.

Cassidy

If you watch him you'll see a lot of his dribbling is done in his own half to beat the press of a winger, a good quality to have but nobody is doubting he's defensively good.
Him along with a quality RW would transform our side IMO. I would trust him to keep it solid down his flank and allow a RW to cause havoc, also he can contribute in the attacking third contrary to what people say. He just doesn't do it a lot, and his final ball needs improving.

Devil may care

Him along with a quality RW would transform our side IMO. I would trust him to keep it solid down his flank and allow a RW to cause havoc, also he can contribute in the attacking third contrary to what people say. He just doesn't do it a lot, and his final ball needs improving.
His final ball and final pass are very poor, and we look more like using the diamond to accomodate 2 strikers and the fact we don't have a striker that can hold the ball up and act as a pivot in a front 3, that requires top class attacking fullbacks, Instead of paying £50M for a player who needs coaching in attack, lets just coach the already good attacking RB we have, more defensive nous, it would make a lot more sense.

Negan

He is obviously a good player but I can’t help but think this would be a stupid signing for us to make.

We have Dalot. We need an experienced RB to take the pressure off him.

For me, the answer is obvious; we should go for Ricardo Pereira from Leicester. He is the right age and is Portuguese so he can help Dalot develop. They’ll have known each other from Porto and he is killing it in the PL this season too. Exactly what we’re looking for.

Cassidy

His final ball and final pass are very poor, and we look more like using the diamond to accomodate 2 strikers and the fact we don't have a striker that can hold the ball up and act as a pivot in a front 3, that requires top class attacking fullbacks, Instead of paying £50M for a player who needs coaching in attack, lets just coach the already good attacking RB we have, more defensive nous, it would make a lot more sense.
If we play that way then yes, I'm not convinced we will play this 2 striker system myself.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
He is obviously a good player but I can’t help but think this would be a stupid signing for us to make.

For me, the answer is obvious; we should go for Ricardo Pereira from Leicester. He is the right age and is Portuguese so he can help Dalot develop. They’ll have known each other from Porto and he is killing it in the PL this season too. Exactly what we’re looking for.
That's not a bad view but Young isn't going anywhere for a year. What supports your opinion well is that we have Laird coming through too who I think can provide good backup to Dalot and eventually take over.

As for Pereira, he's Leicester level!

PS: Dalot doesn't need him to develop when he's already better

Devil may care

If we play that way then yes, I'm not convinced we will play this 2 striker system myself.
I am, Lukaku is not going and wont sit on the bench, and anyone that thinks we can play him or Rashford as RW in a front 3 is out of their minds IMO. The 2 striker system is something we have seen reults from, I don't see why we wouldn't build on it. It's why I don't think Sancho will happen, I think we'll buy a cheaper option winger that can play either side to give us a winger option in certain games, but we'll actually spend the bigger money on a player to go into the false 9/#10 role behind the front 2 and offer supply as that's what our strikers are best at, running in behind onto things, and right now Pogba is the sole supply line. If we get Dalot up to speed defensively and Shaw keeps improving his attacking game we have the fullbacks to also supply the crosses for the forwards, something Wan-Bissaka won't do, basically you buy Wan-Bissaka if you plan to play a 4-3-3 and have a Bale or Neymar type ahead of him that doesn't track back much.

Smores

Good shout and i agree i think Wan Bissaka would be an ill judged signing. Having two young fullbacks won't end well one will end up wanting to leave for game time.

Cassidy

I am, Lukaku is not going and wont sit on the bench, and anyone that thinks we can play him or Rashford as RW in a front 3 is out of their minds IMO. The 2 striker system is something we have seen reults from, I don't see why we wouldn't build on it. It's why I don't think Sancho will happen, I think we'll buy a cheaper option winger that can play either side to give us a winger option in certain games, but we'll actually spend the bigger money on a player to go into the false 9/#10 role behind the front 2 and offer supply as that's what our strikers are best at, running in behind onto things, and right now Pogba is the sole supply line. If we get Dalot up to speed defensively and Shaw keeps improving his attacking game we have the fullbacks to also supply the crosses for the forwards, something Wan-Bissaka won't do, basically you buy Wan-Bissaka if you plan to play a 4-3-3 and have a Bale or Neymar type ahead of him that doesn't track back much.
What happens to Martial? You may be right but I think the 2 striker system is one we played away and in certain situations, but haven't tended to be the main setup at home when everyone is fit. We still seemed to play 433 then, but maybe who knows. It is a possibility.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
That's not a bad view but Young isn't going anywhere for a year. What supports your opinion well is that we have Laird coming through too who I think can provide good backup to Dalot and eventually take over.

As for Pereira, he's Leicester level!

PS: Dalot doesn't need him to develop when he's already better
What makes you say that? I think he's been very good.

Aloysius's Back 3

Exactly as I have thought before.

Having forwards liek Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Greenwood and then to buy Sancho doesn't make sense.

Thats buying one winger to a team that will only ever be able to play one striker out of a group of 4 whilst only having one player who can play as a LW & even then his performances seem a tad makeshift.

Rashford is average as a winger, Martial is good as a winger but hardly consistent, Greenwood won't get a chance in front of Rashford & Lukaku as a central striker. Lingard won't have a position to play.

Sancho is filling a gap that is only there depending on the formation we play - not something in particular that we need.

We need an upgrade on Lingard as a false nine who plays a creative role inbetween our forwards. This also takes the creative duties away from being solely away from Pogba which it is as seen in games vs PSG.

I only see Sancho coming here as a false nine- one that starts out centrally but makes creative runs with the ball to wide areas whilst Martial & Rashford take Central positions finishing off chances. I don't see the Lad coming here to be our only creative winger when we don't even have one on the left.

Devil may care

What happens to Martial? You may be right but I think the 2 striker system is one we played away and in certain situations, but haven't tended to be the main setup at home when everyone is fit. We still seemed to play 433 then, but maybe who knows. It is a possibility.
Martial will compete with Rashford and Lukaku for starts IMO, he's good enough to displace either and I think Ole is looking at it like his days here when there were 4 strikers competing for spots.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Good shout and i agree i think Wan Bissaka would be an ill judged signing. Having two young fullbacks won't end well one will end up wanting to leave for game time.
We have no cover on the left. Dalot can play as a LB if Shaw is out of form or injured, so it will be more than enough game time for everyone. We don't have a good back up for the right side either so a signing like Bissaka should work if he is good enough. Laird might be too young just now. If we could get Azpilicueta or someone it would be wise but if Wan Bissaka might become better than Dalot and Laird longterm then just let them fight it out.

Cassidy

Martial will compete with Rashford and Lukaku for starts IMO, he's good enough to displace either and I think Ole is looking at it like his days here when there were 4 strikers competing for spots.
That would be interesting, I guess we'll find out soon enough, even then when we did have 4 strikers, we had excellent wide players also.

Devil may care

Exactly as I have thought before.

Having forwards liek Rashford, Martial, Lukaku, Greenwood and then to buy Sancho doesn't make sense.

Thats buying one winger to a team that will only ever be able to play one striker out of a group of 4 whilst only having one player who can play as a LW & even then his performances seem a tad makeshift.

Rashford is average as a winger, Martial is good as a winger but hardly consistent, Greenwood won't get a chance in front of Rashford & Lukaku as a central striker. Lingard won't have a position to play.

Sancho is filling a gap that is only there depending on the formation we play - not something in particular that we need.

We need an upgrade on Lingard as a false nine who plays a creative role inbetween our forwards. This also takes the creative duties away from being solely away from Pogba which it is as seen in games vs PSG.

I only see Sancho coming here as a false nine- one that starts out centrally but makes creative runs with the ball to wide areas whilst Martial & Rashford take Central positions finishing off chances. I don't see the Lad coming here to be our only creative winger when we don't even have one on the left.
Sancho is versatile I agree, he might be able to play in the hole but he always seems best when predominently wide.

Ramshock

CAF Pilib De Brún Translator
Swimming against a tide of idiots and spoofers

Sigh..again..Dalot can play on the left. Also we are likely shipping out Darmian and Tony. You need 4 good full backs.

CM

He's been the only Palace player playing close to the level they should be. He is very good defensively but I still haven't seen much of him going forward.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
He's gonna end up at United. Ever since his very impressive debut against us, it's been written in the stars. He has great awareness and looks unbeatable 1-on-1.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He's gonna end up at United. Ever since his very impressive debut against us, it's been written in the stars. He has great awareness and looks unbeatable 1-on-1.
Theres no chance of us signing a young RB.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
We already extended his contract. Hopefully we can displace him with Bissaka.
What.

Dalot is our RB of the future. If we sign a RB it won't be a young player that will cost a lot of money. Waste of budget.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
What.

Dalot is our RB of the future. If we sign a RB it won't be a young player that will cost a lot of money. Waste of budget.
I really rate Dalot, but who is to know if he'll be a winger and he might not even be good enough. What if he gets an injury? We don't have a cover for the left back if Shaw is injured but we can use Dalot there, so I would rather buy a competitor like Bissaka for the right. If he is good enough, age doesn't matter as we can always sell him.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
It's odd that these days we think it's outrageous to have two talented players in one position.

I know we have a lot of issues to fix - positions where we do not have ONE good player.

But we should still be aiming to have two quality players for each position eventually. Like we used to have and like the best teams in Europe currently have.

yfoFC

What.

We currently have only 3 fullbacks and we need 4

We have an undisputed LB but none at the right, AWB wont be a waste of budget..

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He's a bit unfortunate as most of the top 6 are pretty sorted at right back as a young English talent would normally be snapped up... Possibly arsenal if bellerin leaves in the summer or Chelsea if they stick azpi in a back 3 or at left back?
Suspect palace will want a lot of money for him

Decomposing In Paris

If he's good enough he's old enough. I like Young, I think he contributes a lot more than he gets credit for here. That said, having Shaw (who's been great this season), Dalot (incredibly promising, and flexible), AWB, and Young as our options doesn't seem unreasonable over the course of a season. Valencia and Darmien will go, we need quality and depth. Why wait until he signs for someone like Spurs and then wish we'd been in for him?