ABBA

Kazi

Only just realised that this was a thing today. Will this new penalty order format be used across Europe?

To me, it seems like a poor idea to make penalties more exciting/fair. Trying too hard to freshen up something that doesn't need changing.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
I think it's a good idea, it's not like it's complicated.

AndyJ1985

Pointless change. If they really want to make penalties more exciting allow the player to run up from the half way line, and allow the 'keeper to come off the line.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Pointless change. If they really want to make penalties more exciting allow the player to run up from the half way line, and allow the 'keeper to come off the line.
It's not about being more exciting, it's about trying to even out the advantage the team who go first get.

Matty7

Its proven that there is an advantage in taking first. This evens that up. Cant see whats not to like about it? People will get used to the idea.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If going first really gives an advantage (as statistics suggests it does) then this format makes sense.

It's not like it's a particularly complicated or radical change.

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Its not about making it exciting. Its about making the process fairer, this way you don't have 1 team catching up all the time.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Only just realised that this was a thing today. Will this new penalty order format be used across Europe?

To me, it seems like a poor idea to make penalties more exciting/fair. Trying too hard to freshen up something that doesn't need changing.
Yeah, who wants fairness?

It's attitudes like this that allow football to stay in the dark ages on social issues. If fans aren't open to the idea of a minor change, firmly supported by the evidence and with the ultimate objective of fair competition - a fundamental part of sport - then why would footballing authorities make any more dramatic changes with the objective of improving social equality in the sport?

acnumber9

Maybe they should change what end they're taking the penalties at for each one too. That's an advantage. It's just another pointless change.

AlecHDR

Angry, incoherent heterosexual slob
I don't have a strong opinion on it. I like experimentation though. Do it for some time and analyse data to figure out if it takes away the advantage of going first.

There is always room for improvement in everything

NinjaFletch

Have we got any data from other sports (i.e. tennis tie breaks) where they use this system to suggest it is fairer? It seems to me like this will give a fairly big advantage to the team going second.

Shez

I'd say its a good call. We don't have a successful penalty taker prancing around like a Dancing Queen because his teammate is up immediately afterwards... when All Is Said and Done, we will be in a position where the Winner Takes All

Kazi

Yeah, who wants fairness?

It's attitudes like this that allow football to stay in the dark ages on social issues. If fans aren't open to the idea of a minor change, firmly supported by the evidence and with the ultimate objective of fair competition - a fundamental part of sport - then why would footballing authorities make any more dramatic changes with the objective of improving social equality in the sport?
I support changes that benefit the sport. I really like the 30 minute half idea. But this doesn't work for me. May well grow on me...

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
Have we got any data from other sports (i.e. tennis tie breaks) where they use this system to suggest it is fairer? It seems to me like this will give a fairly big advantage to the team going second.
Explain please.

acnumber9

There should still be an advantage to go first though as you'll take your fifth penalty first.

pcaming

United are an embarrassment.
how? both teams kick two times after the first penalty.

Hojoon

It's worth an experiment at least. It's tried in another popular sport and there's been shouts that going first has an advantage by a lot of people.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Didn't like it

Was it a one off or will the league/FA Cup adopt it also?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I disagree with this format. The back-and-forth thing between oppo players is more exciting than having 2 players of the same club take penalties after eachother.

MkPaul

learnt from the best
Pretty sure it was because there was some really high statistic about how the first pen taking team on average wins much more than 50% of the time.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
Can you hear the drums, Alonso?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Pretty sure it was because there was some really high statistic about how the first pen taking team on average wins much more than 50% of the time.
Aye, 60%. Which is a pretty significant advantage.

Alabaster Codify7

Absolutely pointless. It's just another case of someone getting paid some kind of commission for meeting targets in their job description, with the target being 'make changes to something in the game'. There's no reason to change the basic format of 'each team takes one penalty'.