Abdelhak Nouri | family say he can answer yes/no questions by moving his eyebrows

Akshay

Staff
I'd hoped he could have a better recovery but it seems was against the odds really. Very, very tragic situation.

I hope Ajax can communicate better with the family and give them the assurances they need, and if something really was amiss to rectify it so the chance of something like this happening again is minimalized.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
I still think that it looks like the CPR started a little late though, but i dont know what happened in the very scene.
Without saying anything about my source in this, I've that that's an unspoken, but accepted truth with everyone involved in his medical treatment/care since.

anyway I'm still literally heartbroken about this. Followed his career and watched him since he was about 10. I raved about him on here in my newbie posts back in 2009. Literally never felt so attached and excited about a youth player. Such a genuinely wonderful kid and then young man as well. just for this to happen. it honestly hurts quite a lot to think about

jmaggio

Awful, I've had some experience with individuals recovering from TBI. Despite advancements in medicine, it is still relatively a lottery as to how much of a recovery one can make. Awful to hear that CPR was administered too late.

Nick7

By communicating with his family, it means he can slightly move parts of his head. Open his mouth etc. He's not talking or conversing. Still great news.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Completely irresponsible tweet by TalkSport and "The Sporstman"

He didn't "finally wake up", he has gradually regained a tiny bit of consciousness since December/January this year (before which he was properly in coma). He's physically deteriorating, but has made slight neurological improvements.

He can open his mouth if you ask him to or raise his eyebrows if you ask him "confirm that with your eyebrows""

The interview by the Dutch equivalent of the BBC was to provide everyone with some detail so that the family can again be given their space. These completely misleading tweets will only have the opposite effect.

It's tragic. The brothers have both quit their jobs and hobbies (the one brother played third/fourth league football but has quit) in order to make sure there's always one family member with Appie 24/7.

Sterling Archer

By communicating with his family, it means he can slightly move parts of his head. Open his mouth etc. He's not talking or conversing. Still great news.
All considered, yes absolutely great news. God bless, hope he can recover even more.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Completely irresponsible tweet by TalkSport and "The Sporstman"

He didn't "finally wake up", he has gradually regained a tiny bit of consciousness since December/January this year (before which he was properly in coma). He's physically deteriorating, but has made slight neurological improvements.

He can open his mouth if you ask him to or raise his eyebrows if you ask him "confirm that with your eyebrows""

The interview by the Dutch equivalent of the BBC was to provide everyone with some detail so that the family can again be given their space. These completely misleading tweets will only have the opposite effect.

It's tragic. The brothers have both quit their jobs and hobbies (the one brother played third/fourth league football but has quit) in order to make sure there's always one family member with Appie 24/7.
Thanks for the info.

I wondered why they said he’s finally woken up when it was reported earlier this year he had. Click bait nonsense.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Thanks for the info.

I wondered why they said he’s finally woken up when it was reported earlier this year he had. Click bait nonsense.
complete fake news nonsense that has seemingly spread all over twitter. Everyone believes he suddenly woke up last week and is speaking with his family, which is just so far from the truth

So without knowing too much about brain injuries like this, is he completely awake inside his head and aware of his predicament, or is his mind essentially gone and barely conscious? You'd almost hope it was the latter.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
So without knowing too much about brain injuries like this, is he completely awake inside his head and aware of his predicament, or is his mind essentially gone and barely conscious? You'd almost hope it was the latter.
I'm not medically informed enough to properly comment on that but it probably is the latter. Large parts of his brain have died off due to lack of oxygen. Unlike brain trauma from impact and stuff, which can be isolated to specific parts of the brain (and so the brain is sometimes able to learn to compensate for), the damage as a result of the lack of oxygen will have been spread across the entire brain.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Really thought this was a good news but after clarification I see it’s not really.

I am hoping the development of medicine can get him back to something close to full health over the years. If he could just talk and understand what is going on around him it would be a great progress for the lad.

Ajaxsuarez

Supports
Ajax
Really thought this was a good news but after clarification I see it’s not really.

I am hoping the development of medicine can get him back to something close to full health over the years. If he could just talk and understand what is going on around him it would be a great progress for the lad.
it is good news, it's just very small steps in a positive direction, but with no indication whether any further steps should be possible or not

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He can blink on command and open his mouth. Good news, but that article's implication is silly.

mav_9me

More likely later although if now he is able to raise his eyebrows on command who knows. I honestly have my doubts about him following any simple commands.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Here's some amazing news.

Oh my that's fantastic news! Get in lad.

Edit - feck, just realised they're exaggerating his recovery a tad.

In any case, even if he can't speak, it's great if he recognises his family and can communicate somewhat.

Wish him all the best.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Its fantastic news! He woke up after a year in a coma and though he cant talk is "communicating" this is amazing news. Im very happy for him and his family its all a long process now but step by step and he will hopefully get their. Wish him all the best.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
The latter, I think. He has not "woken up" and probably never will. Most of his brain died, if I recall correctly. Doubtful if there will ever be medical advancements that can reverse that sort of damage.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Thanks for the update.

This is great news, especially at this time.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Okey

Great news in these depressing times. Wishing him even better recovery...

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Great update and really hope he can improve further.