Abortion

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
It’s really interesting to see basically some sort of bizarre corporate theocratic police state emerging. Not convinced it’s the best social model, but hey ho.

Denis79

It’s really interesting to see basically some sort of bizarre corporate theocratic police state emerging. Not convinced it’s the best social model, but hey ho.
Very odd combination but a good description.

arnie_ni

How is pregnancy comparable to an infectious disease?
This is actually what ive seen a lot of people are saying in USA on social media platforms etc. Granted they are brainwashed and deranged, but the poster is is onto something in what he's saying.

Withnail

This is fecked up. I'm just Imagining the poor woman who goes out of state, happens to have a miscarriage and faces the Spanish inquisition when she gets back because a sniffer dog reported her as pregnant on the way out.

I actually wonder if playing this card would be the way to go. There is no chance they agree to it, would they then see their double standard?
Unfortunately, I think the suggestion would be dismissed out of hand without any acknowledgement of a double standard. I mean it's a suggestion to police men's bodies. That's totally taboo.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Considering how the same people who seem to want to push the US to a prehistoric religious state, are the same people who look down on countries who are influenced by other religions, is just another example of their hypocrisy.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is the futire for this country.
This happened back in 2017, but I’m sure it will be used as a right wing legal template going forward in today‘s climate. Gotta have a mommy & a daddy.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
How it started for Mortons

How it's going for Mortons

Stacks

I partially support abortion as I don't condone people bringing children into the world if they are not financially able to do so. bringing up children in relative poverty, especially if the father is not interested in being there, is putting the child through a potential life of pain and suffering.

That said I am curious, for those who support abortion, up to what point (in months) do you support terminating an unborn foetus?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I partially support abortion as I don't condone people bringing children into the world if they are not financially able to do so. bringing up children in relative poverty, especially if the father is not interested in being there, is putting the child through a potential life of pain and suffering.

That said I am curious, for those who support abortion, up to what point (in months) do you support terminating an unborn foetus?
If the life of the mother is in jeopardy? No limit at all.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Why have there not been bigger protests?
Here in NC there was an executive order protecting abortion so I think the states that do have the rights (that care the most) are probably not as motivated to protest and the states that don't, well they don't for a reason as well.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Here in NC there was an executive order protecting abortion so I think the states that do have the rights (that care the most) are probably not as motivated to protest and the states that don't, well they don't for a reason as well.
As a new North Carolinian I was wondering if you think this will hold. Cooper seems to be pretty popular but I am assuming the state legislatures is R?

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
As a new North Carolinian I was wondering if you think this will hold. Cooper seems to be pretty popular but I am assuming the state legislatures is R?
I don't keep up that much with NC politics but from what I heard the upcoming election will be key to that. There was a video I saw recently that discussed some timeline like cooper will do X then republicans will overturn it with Y and eventually it came to the next election in November if democrats will have enough seats or not.

A note on cooper, as far as I know he is liked by not only liberals of NC but moderates as well. Possibly even republicans? His predecessor was a total buffoon though so maybe that helps.

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
Not having a go at you, but why do so many people frame this as being pro abortion? People are either pro choice or anti-choice.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I don't keep up that much with NC politics but from what I heard the upcoming election will be key to that. There was a video I saw recently that discussed some timeline like cooper will do X then republicans will overturn it with Y and eventually it came to the next election in November if democrats will have enough seats or not.

A note on cooper, as far as I know he is liked by not only liberals of NC but moderates as well. Possibly even republicans? His predecessor was a total buffoon though so maybe that helps.
My parents, pretty conservative, really like him and my mom met him a few times as she was part of a childhood mental health task force during COVID.

All of our districts (state and federal) are solidly blue, although Price (US House) is retiring and not running in 22.

Stacks

Anyone who isn't medically qualified shouldn't be answering this question in the first place.
why? Anyone can have a personal opinion about what they think it right. Most people who are pro/against are not thinking medically. Its often convenience. Girls who I know who have had abortions it was down to convenience/timing and anyone can have an opinion on this.,
If the life of the mother is in jeopardy? No limit at all.
In UK 24 weeks is the latest
What if we could abort a child at 28-34 weeks safely, would you be supportive?

Not having a go at you, but why do so many people frame this as being pro abortion? People are either pro choice or anti-choice.
Nah. Its not as simple as that. Putting it like this you force people into just two boxes for all their religious, moral, political, and practical beliefs on abortion
“Pro-choice” and “Anti-choice” labels don’t reflect the complexity of how most people actually think and feel about abortion. Many are in between. They believe abortion is acceptable up to a point.

Moby

Dick
why? Anyone can have a personal opinion about what they think it right. Most people who are pro/against are not thinking medically. Its often convenience. Girls who I know who have had abortions it was down to convenience/timing and anyone can have an opinion on this.,
Your question was at what point can one go for an abortion. That's only between the mother and the doctor, no one else has any say on it.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

In UK 24 weeks is the latest
What if we could abort a child at 28-34 weeks safely, would you be supportive?

Nah. Its not as simple as that. Putting it like this you force people into just two boxes for all their religious, moral, political, and practical beliefs on abortion
“Pro-choice” and “Anti-choice” labels don’t reflect the complexity of how most people actually think and feel about abortion. Many are in between. They believe abortion is acceptable up to a point.
No, UK law allows for abortions at any point during the pregnancy under certain grounds.

There are six grounds for an abortion. 24 weeks is the limit for one of those grounds.

EDIT: also we can abort a foetus safely after 24 weeks gestation, as many abortions take place later than 24 weeks.