Abortion

Eriku

It's weird, we've known this is 100% coming for a while, but it still feels really fecking weird. What the feck is the US doing?
Stop being so judgemental, the US is just trying to live its worst life!

US, if you read this, ignore nimic. You don’t need that kind of positivity in your life.

Can someone let me know what medical bills are covered for pregnancy and childbirth in the USA and what the woman has to pay for?
Depends on insurance coverage. I know just the actual birth process is around 10,000 at the least. Also, you have to pay extra to hold your child after.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If you're a young liberal American would you really see America as the best possible place for you to spend the next few decades? Emigration must surely be tempting for those lucky enough to be in a position where it's an option.

Sara125

Also, I don't know if it's just Reddit making stuff up, but apparently there's a charge for the mother holding the baby after she gives birth. Something like $50 for "Skin to skin care".
It’s true. I’ve seen mothers post pics of their bill on twitter before. This is just one example I got from Google (in this case it was actually the father who wanted to hold him and his partner’s newborn)

Last edited:

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Also, I don't know if it's just Reddit making stuff up, but apparently there's a charge for the mother holding the baby after she gives birth. Something like $50 for "Skin to skin care".
Wouldn’t doubt it. I got charged $11k for five-ish hours of dealing with a kidney stone.

Carolina Red

Staff
Next on the list: same-sex marriage, contraception. Maybe even outlaw homosexuality, why not? The regressive GOP are in charge in many states, and soon they will be able to do whatever they want.
Did you see that that’s actually what Thomas has called for?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
If you're a young liberal American would you really see America as the best possible place for you to spend the next few decades? Emigration must surely be tempting for those lucky enough to be in a position where it's an option.
It's much, much more difficult for an American without parents from the EU or Canada to move there than it is to move the opposite way into the US. Especially now with remote work becoming more common (one of the few downsides).

MTF

Emigration is just generally hard, in terms of finding the job offers that will generally justify you being allowed to live elsewhere.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
It’s true. I’ve seen mothers post pics of their bill on twitter before. This is just one example (in this case it was actually the father who wanted to hold him and his partner’s newborn)

At least they're nice enough to add it on to the bill and not demand cash up front while holding the baby just out of the mother's reach.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Did you see that that’s actually what Thomas has called for?
Yeah, such bullshit. I've heard far-right conservatives say for years that overturning Roe v Wade is just the correct legal opinion and would have nothing to do with other 'right to privacy' decisions but that was clearly just bullshit and Thomas, predictably, is already signalling what they want. Hopefully, it does motivate all these young people and other progressives to get out and vote in November although this is only the beginning of a long struggle.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Yeah, such bullshit. I've heard far-right conservatives say for years that overturning Roe v Wade is just the correct legal opinion and would have nothing to do with other 'right to privacy' decisions but that was clearly just bullshit and Thomas, predictably, is already signalling what they want. Hopefully, it does motivate all these young people and other progressives to get out and vote in November although this is only the beginning of a long struggle.
And whilst the rest of the world looks at this debacle and sees a country going backwards, and at pace, they are probably sitting their smug thinking they’re leading the world in the right direction.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is this a prevention tactic to prevent red states from becoming more blue? (discourage blue voters to move to red states)

RoadTrip

Is this a prevention tactic to prevent red states from becoming more blue? (discourage blue voters to move to red states)
It’s not, abortion has been such a huge political issue for it not to be. But, strangely it might actually achieve this. fecking dumb ass country.

RoadTrip

Federal ban on abortion incoming once the Republicans take control of Congress?
Partly why I also have a gripe with the democrats in this, they’ve had majorities in recent times to be able to legislate this and not rely on the court. But they didn’t. And this is the resultant mess.