Abortion

Mike Smalling

What a massive setback for the US. I really feel for the everyone affected by this.

It's simply crazy how random and skewed the American political system is. This is directly linked to a one-term nutjob of a President that randomly got to nominate three justices to the SCOTUS and thereby dictate a large amount of policy for decades. It's fecked up.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
America is a scary place
definitely. Before i met my wife I really wanted to move to the US at some point, try to do a PhD there which I'd probably be able to as my BA and MA focused on communities there but it just doesn't feel feasible anymore. Guns, abortion laws, rising alt right...just a vile vile country that I'd not feel safe in at all.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
The Rupert Murdoch channel Fox already stoking fears as competing views on abortion gather outside the Supreme Court in DC.

The legal pundit for Fox Kerry Servino, "We're a little concerned for their safety... ...AntiFa who have been doing fire bombings of crisis centers... " whilst there's no sign of AntiFa at the protests presently.

The propaganda is in full throttle.

Although MSNBC are also warning that protests nationwide might get violent, this evening of Friday.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
The Rupert Murdoch channel Fox already stoking fears as competing views on abortion gather outside the Supreme Court in DC.

The legal pundit for Fox Kerry Servino, "We're a little concerned for their safety... ...AntiFa who have been doing fire bombings of crisis centers... " whilst there's no sign of AntiFa at the protests presently.

Although MSNBC are also warning that protests nationwide might get violent, this evening of Friday.
I’d be extremely surprised if Antifa fire bombed crisis centers. Could be wrong though.

ooeat0meoo

Member of the Muppet Empire
My Happy Place - So Don't Be fecking With Me!
I’d be extremely surprised if Antifa fire bombed crisis centers. Could be wrong though.
It's quite ironic that the Murdoch family run Fox News are trying to scare pro-life groups with warnings of AntiFa

Next segment will be about how the January 6th insurrectionists put in jail are political prisoners and heroes.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It's quite ironic that the Murdoch family run Fox News are trying to scare pro-life groups with warnings of AntiFa

Next segment will be about how the January 6th insurrectionists put in jail are political prisoners and heroes.
We’re well past the insurrectionists being labeled political prisoners. MTG has even brought that up on the House floor.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
What a massive setback for the US. I really feel for the everyone affected by this.

It's simply crazy how random and skewed the American political system is. This is directly linked to a one-term nutjob of a President that randomly got to nominate three justices to the SCOTUS and thereby dictate a large amount of policy for decades. It's fecked up.
The thing is, it wasn't random. It had been building for a long time and is the direct result of Democrat complacency (Obama even asked RBG to step down so he could nominate her successor which she arrogantly refused to do) and Mitch McConnell very intentionally refused to hold hearings on Obama's nomination, Merrick Garland (a relatively bland, milquetoast moderate not even a progressive). None of this was random or lucky for the far-right but the endgame of decades of building and planning.

I'd like to believe this serves as a wake up so moderates and institutional Democrats actually start fighting back or, in the case of Pelosi and Feinstein, fecking off and retiring while younger progressives get off social media and start voting and electing more representatives like AOC but I'm losing hope.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I get the reactions here but do remember most states will have the same laws and most people will just be able to drive to those states. Unless I am wrong.

Beans

Supports
Neutral

Thanks to FOX we might actually have some Americans who call themselves ANTIFA now, but when they started on it there was no US ANTIFA. It’s just a catch all they use for anyone protesting on the left.

SirAF

Ageist
The thing is, it wasn't random. It had been building for a long time and is the direct result of Democrat complacency (Obama even asked RBG to step down so he could nominate her successor which she arrogantly refused to do) and Mitch McConnell very intentionally refused to hold hearings on Obama's nomination, Merrick Garland (a relatively bland, milquetoast moderate not even a progressive). None of this was random or lucky for the far-right but the endgame of decades of building and planning.

I'd like to believe this serves as a wake up so moderates and institutional Democrats actually start fighting back or, in the case of Pelosi and Feinstein, fecking off and retiring while younger progressives get off social media and start voting and electing more representatives like AOC but I'm losing hope.
Yup, and that’s not even including the Republicans ramming through Coney Barret’s confirmation before the 2020 election, despite arguing the opposite four years earlier… I’m so pissed off and I’m not even American! The Dems really need to start fighting back by playing dirty. You can’t win fair when the other side isn’t just refusing to adhere to basic rules but are ripping up the entire rule book.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I get the reactions here but do remember most states will have the same laws and most people will just be able to drive to those states. Unless I am wrong.
‘Most’ might be incorrect. ‘Some’ would be a more accurate term. This will disproportionately hurt the lower class.

RedTiger

Half mast
definitely. Before i met my wife I really wanted to move to the US at some point, try to do a PhD there which I'd probably be able to as my BA and MA focused on communities there but it just doesn't feel feasible anymore. Guns, abortion laws, rising alt right...just a vile vile country that I'd not feel safe in at all.
Also the fact that so much is predicated on racial identity.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
I've never understood this attitude to be honest, unless I'm missing something?

OK so Biden decides to stack the court, put in 6 new liberal judges so it's 9-6. Overturn this ruling, ratify many more. Sounds amazing.

But then....what happens when the new Republican president comes in? Are they not going to stack the court?

It's just a very very temporary plaster.

Absolutely awful by the way. Truly appalling. It's also terrible that you can generally tell from a mile off how these judges are going to vote. The reading and interpretation of the law should be apolotical, though the reality is of course very different.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
a long enough drive will mean losing your job

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
Yup, and that’s not even including the Republicans ramming through Coney Barret’s confirmation before the 2020 election, despite arguing the opposite four years earlier… I’m so pissed off and I’m not even American! The Dems really need to start fighting back by playing dirty. You can’t win fair when the other side isn’t just refusing to adhere to basic rules but are ripping up the entire rule book.
I hear you and it's extremely frustrating watching this happen. The Dems/liberals/progressive need to get their act together and really start taking this seriously.

SirAF

Ageist
‘Most’ might be incorrect. ‘Some’ would be a more accurate term. This will disproportionately hurt the lower class.
Absolutely this. Someone living on the breadline deep down in Alabama can’t just drive or hop on a bus to the nearest safe haven.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I am thinking this on the fly right now. I am not considering lower class in blue states obviously they wont be affected and if I think of most red states the lower socio economic class are probably not for abortions in the first place so is it really far off to say most will not have their right impacted?

MUW4Eva

Two points, 1) have you seen petrol prices, and 2) have you seen how big the States are??

So going from state to state, is hugely expensive!

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG

This is unfortunately a huge stain on Ruth Bader-Ginsburg's legacy. She coule have prevented this by stepping down under Obama when it was long overdue. She didn't and allowed this to happen.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I am thinking this on the fly right now. I am not considering lower class in blue states obviously they wont be affected and if I think of most red states the lower socio economic class are probably not for abortions in the first place so is it really far off to say most will not have their right impacted?
I get what you are getting at, but I think it will far more negatively impact those of a lower socioeconomic class in the red states.

Everyone plays religious gangster up until it’s their daughter that gets pregnant.

oneniltothearsenal

Scout
Supports
First, that can be an extremely long drive if someone lives somewhere like Atlanta (at least 10 hours) which is a rather big time and money commitment not to mention having access to transportation which for the poor is quite challenging.

Second, Texas law, or future variations on it, might even allow lawsuits (maybe even criminal) against a Texas woman leaving the state for an abortion.

Finally, all this is if you believe the GOP will simply stop at "let the states decide" when Pence has just called for a national ban, Thomas has already signaled he wants to overturn more and Indiana Sen. Mike Braun has even mentioned leaving interracial marriage to the states.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
This is unfortunately a huge stain on Ruth Bader-Ginsburg's legacy. She coule have prevented this by stepping down under Obama when it was long overdue. She didn't and allowed this to happen.
She bears some blame, but it would still be 5-4 conservative today. It would have been better as Roberts voting left sometimes, but it’s not assured.