Abortion

neverdie

Nothing. We’re too big of a country.
the upside is that despite the US being an enormous country, it is divided into 50 semi-autonomous states. the way to enact progressive legislation in the US is to push for state revolutions. not actual revolutions but progressive policy shifts. the opposite of what the likes of Santis are doing in florida.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
the upside is that despite the US being an enormous country, it is divided into 50 semi-autonomous states. the way to enact progressive legislation in the US is to push for state revolutions. not actual revolutions but progressive policy shifts. the opposite of what the likes of Santis are doing in florida.
Extricating the right wing virus out of most state legislatures & governor’s mansions will be nigh on impossible in the short term. We just don’t turn out for non-presidential elections.

neverdie

Extricating the right wing virus out of most state legislatures & governor’s mansions will be nigh on impossible in the short term. We just don’t turn out for non-presidential elections.
you should. which you probably already know but in many ways the house and senate elections and gubernatorial and whatever else you have are more important than the presidential elections. but also, and this isn't just related to abortion, because there is a fundamental division in america between progressives, leftists, and liberals versus evangelicals and various other kinds of conservative. the problem is that the supreme court is the worst possible place to decide these issues when a country is so fractured. it imposes inevitable contradictions between the federal union and states' rights. there's no way CA or NY are going to go in for the more conservative of these decisions. you're looking at a revolution in that country because it's not trending up but seems certain to get a hell of a lot worse. the other problem being that the right are far more prepared for it than the left which for the most part has to spend its time fighting off attacks from centrists in the democratic party and then also attacking them back.

but as incompetent as the dems are and as fractured as the left is they, if you include progressives, liberals, and leftists, form a massive block. a majority in fact. so the SC mandating from a minority position is asking for a lot of trouble. conservative states will want or demand the union to uphold these decisions and standards. liberal states will insist upon states' rights. if individual states opt out, liberal states for example, then you will have a problem too. conservative states will agitate for separation. this is years down the line but you can see the seeds of it already.

Last edited:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Which also presumably means that all of their prayers had simply been ignored for the past 50 years.
Based on miss world pagents over the last 50 years or so it appears God has no interest whatsoever in World peace.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
you should. which you probably already know but in many ways the house and senate elections and gubernatorial and whatever else you have are more important than the presidential elections. but also, and this isn't just related to abortion, because there is a fundamental division in america between progressives, leftists, and liberals versus evangelicals and various other kinds of conservative. the problem is that the supreme court is the worst possible place to decide these issues when a country is so fractured. it imposes inevitable contradictions between the federal union and states' rights. there's no way CA or NY are going to go in for the more conservative of these decisions. you're looking at a revolution in that country because it's not trending up but seems certain to get a hell of a lot worse. the other problem being that the right are far more prepared for it than the left which for the most part has to spend its time fighting off attacks from centrists in the democratic party and then also attacking them back.

but as incompetent as the dems are and as fractured as the left is they, if you include progressives, liberals, and leftists, form a massive block. a majority in fact. so the SC mandating from a minority position is asking for a lot of trouble. conservative states will want or demand the union to uphold these decisions and standards. liberal states will insist upon states' rights. if individual states opt out, liberal states for example, then you will have a problem too. conservative states will agitate for separation. this is years down the line but you can see the seeds of it already.
Good post.

One issue is that the right will virtually always coalesce behind the R candidates, but the left won’t do the same for the D candidates. A self inflicted wound we keep giving ourselves.

neverdie

One issue is that the right will virtually always coalesce behind the R candidates, but the left won’t do the same for the D candidates. A self inflicted wound we keep giving ourselves.
agreed. but the reason that happens is because the democrats do not deliver the left wing policies they use to get elected. that breeds obvious resentment and eventually people who would be inclined to support the democrats if they did half of what they promised simply stop supporting them. that's not a problem unique to america either. the dems face a bloodbath in the midterms not only because of inflation and the usual move to the other party which happens in american midterm elections but because biden hasn't delivered a single of his cornerstone policies. if I were voting I'd probably go third party. wouldn't care if that meant writing off 2022 and even 2024 because longterm the dems need to figure out who they are or want to be for 2024, 2026, and through 2030. their tendency to win power and then talk about healing, which is decades old, is the real self-inflicted wound. you aren't dealing with an electorate that's interested in healing. the evangelical base aren't going to move over to your side if you move a little bit to theirs. they're militant in their ideological demands and have been for a long time. it's time the democratic party went the same way, imposes legislation that actually benefits people, and then forces the right to talk about "healing". the so called "left" in america has been in retreat for far too long.

the whole evangelical thing began in the 70s. republicans knew that if they pretended to be religious then they could win the evangelical vote. from there you've had the Newt insurgency of the 90s which led to the tea party and to trump. all of it has been underpinned by two things: the evangelical base and worsening economic conditions due to deindustrialization. that's it in a nutshell, the demographic which the GOP exploits.

Blackwidow

Doesn’t the dad normally have to pay child support if they’re not together? Or do you not agree that they should?
He should. But how often does it happen that he does not... or only does it partly or not in time...

I do not remember the numbers we had here in Germany about that when they implemented a law some years ago that changed the existing law (the state paid child support for max. 6 years until max. age 12 if the father failed to pay and then tries to get reimbursed by the father) to without limits.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
He should. But how often does it happen that he does not... or only does it partly or not in time...

I do not remember the numbers we had here in Germany about that when they implemented a law some years ago that changed the existing law (the state paid child support for max. 6 years until max. age 12 if the father failed to pay and then tries to get reimbursed by the father) to without limits.
There are many deadbeat fathers out there. I remember Florida passed suspending driver’s licenses of deadbeats if they fell behind paying child support. This was about 30 years ago, give it take. Many states have this law in place.

Foxbatt

It needs the public to come out and vote these senators out. But again the minority has difficulty in voting because of the voter registration hassle. Democracy my arse. It's a country that has been ruled of elites for the elites by the elites.

kps88

A lot more should be made of this. It was under oath. Another pillar of the rule book being toppled.
Not sure what can be done. They could say something like "I was telling the truth at the time but my views have now changed". But it does make the whole charade of hearings a complete waste of time. They should just hold a vote straight away.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
The absurd dichotomy of America's obsession with preserving life but seemingly at peace with it's population, even its kids getting blown to bits on a daily basis is mindblowing.

That country just needs to be burned to the ground and start over.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Has anybody got reliable stats for public opinions on this? My instinct is this is old conservatives holding a generally more liberal population to ransom but I've been struck by the amount of footage I'e seen in the past 24 hours of young women (no doubt carefully placed at the front of crowds to get on TV for the precise aim of skewing perceptions) celebrating the ruling. The 'Pro-Life Generation' slogan looks a weird, sick joke to me as an outsider but is there more genuine pro-life feeling in young people in the US than I'd imagined?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It needs the public to come out and vote these senators out. But again the minority has difficulty in voting because of the voter registration hassle. Democracy my arse. It's a country that has been ruled of elites for the elites by the elites.
The American Senate is by definition undemocratic. By 2040, 66% of the country will be represented by 30% of the senate.