Abortion

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Why so cynical? This sort of shooting opinions down are what entrenched people into one side of extreme. Getting your opinion is false boohoo has driven bipartisanship in America they'd vote to spite the other party.

Not everyone has the same sort of moral and standard and culture and background. Maybe for you it's a clear cut. But as history shows that theres no clear cut in everything.

As a man who wants to have kids the thought of parents aborting their kids just because it's a preplanned is not something i believe in
That's not the question was, it was about you comment about the pregnancies caused by rape. Why is it a moral grey area for a woman to decide to keep it or not. It's not a viable human for months, up until that point she is simply making a choice about her own body.

Mike Smalling

As adults we have to bear responsibility over our action. You can have safe sex with very little chance of pregnancy if you took enough precaution.
I guess the implication here is that you are an adult as soon as you can get pregnant then? Because, I'm sure you know that people get pregnant below the legal age of adulthood all the time. In fact, girls all the way down to 12-13 years of age can get pregnant (and even younger in extreme cases).

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Why so cynical? This sort of shooting opinions down are what entrenched people into one side of extreme. Getting your opinion is false boohoo has driven bipartisanship in America they'd vote to spite the other party.

Not everyone has the same sort of moral and standard and culture and background. Maybe for you it's a clear cut. But as history shows that theres no clear cut in everything.

As a man who wants to have kids the thought of parents aborting their kids just because it's a preplanned is not something i believe in
Your post was asinine.

Imagine an 11 year old girl impregnated through rape by her father. She would be giving birth to her sibling while being its mother.

There’s argumentative areas in the abortion issue, the fact that you don’t view rape as an immediate reason for an abortion is laughable.

You’d fit right in over here in free thinking meccas like Texas or Missouri.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I guess the implication here is that you are an adult as soon as you can get pregnant then? Because, I'm sure you know that people get pregnant below the legal age of adulthood all the time. In fact, girls all the way down to 12-13 years of age can get pregnant (and even younger in extreme cases).
That's not what i said. I said anything bellow 9 weeks should be allowed with proper strong reasoning and medical approval.

But for 3 months above that's a living being

Peter van der Gea

Sure..but on the flip side there are parents who aborts for the silliest reason. And I'm not saying full anti abortion, but some flexibility and some constraint should exist.
What silly reasons? That they don't want to put their body at risk and commit to 18 years of hard graft for something they are going to resent. Lovely up bringing that. Parenting is one of the hardest things you can do, you have to mean it.

Mike Smalling

That's not what i said. I said anything bellow 9 weeks should be allowed with proper strong reasoning and medical approval.

You said as adults we need to take responsibility for our actions, so my follow-up question was what about the girls/women that get pregnant that aren't adults? Because that happens.

Also, is it 9 weeks or 3 months? Those aren't the same thing.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
For me it's always a case by case on when an abortion is allowed if it's up to me

1. Endangering the mother's life? Mother's choice

2. Unplanned pregnancy? Deal with it. No life should be lost over just some financial worry.

3. Rape? Tough one where i have no answer.

But as such every rules needs a clear and applicable cut off point and we cant always decide justly on case by case.

If the pregnancy is 9 months? We would all call it murder to abort it.

But if the pregnancy is say 2 weeks? We would say it's the mother's choice.

So rightly there will be an arbitrary age where one is ok then a day after it's murder.

I also dont believe in it's the mother's choice 100% since the baby too has a right to life, and just like children it's up to adults to protect those that still can't protect themselves.

If it's totally up to me, maybe it's 9 weeks less and that's it, no abortion after.

And we all know that condoms works. Those with unplanned pregnancy most of the times uses ovulation just not to wear condoms. So i think it's harsh to really excuse unplanned pregnancy.
Fmk
It’s not a fecking baby in the womb , it’s a non-viable mass of cells for most part of gestation.

I cannot believe people think it’s a fecking baby in the womb.

FireballXL5

But you're quite happy with having your opinion foisted on other people?

Peter van der Gea

The youngest viable premature baby was 21 weeks, that's 5 months 10 days.

Peter van der Gea

That's not what i said. I do not contemplate what if a fellow poster wife got raped. But if you think that's ok then suit yourself
But it's ok to contemplate it about other women? What about your sister, mother, neighbour, colleague?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
But you're quite happy with having your opinion foisted on other people?
Foisted? This is a forum. I'm airing what i believe. And that is also the general policy taken in most of the world. That up to a certain weeks the fetus is considered not a living being yet. You're talking as if abortion is ok in most part of the world. It's not ok here.

SirAF

Ageist

Then don’t do it yourself. What other people do with their bodies is none of your business.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I have a wife, sister, mums and nieces. Trust me i dont take that issue lightly. So stop acting like that's what i said. Give it a rest. This is not something nice
So, if your uncle impregnated his niece through incestual rape, you would still be on the fence?

Keefy18

I have a wife, sister, mums and nieces. Trust me i dont take that issue lightly. So stop acting like that's what i said. Give it a rest. This is not something nice
You said Rape is a tough choice (decision on abortion). No. No it isn't.

A child should not be born from such an evil, disgusting hate filled act. Period!

Mike Smalling

It's reality though. These cases happen. We can hope it never happens to anyone we know, but it will happen to someone. It's guaranteed.

Just because you haven't had to deal with it, and hopefully never will, doesn't mean that policymaking shouldn't take these cases into account. Being on the fence about abortion in the case of rape is an abhorrent position to take, and it shows a complete lack of any kind of empathy.

nimic

something nice
Scout
As adults we have to bear responsibility over our action. You can have safe sex with very little chance of pregnancy if you took enough precaution.
Contraception has a significant failure rate. If you have enough sex, you're playing with the odds eventually. Unless you're suggesting people should sterilise themselves.

langster

Captain Stink mouth, so soppy few pints very wow!
Scout
The added horrifying part is the inquisitions that will now happen to women who have miscarriages.

I feel this is such an important yet overlooked factor. Women's lives who are already broken by losing a baby will be made 10 times worse. How many will be unjustly prosecuted or even jailed?

The USA really haa gone back to the dark ages. Put there by many who champion the USA for fighting oppression in the Middle East. Once again the hypocrisy and arrogance is frightening.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Imagine thinking being sentenced to, at minimum, 19 years where your life was completely upended is a proportional result to a simple mistake.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I think what he meant was does rape supercede term limit. I don't think many would advocate for aborting a 28 week baby which came about as a result of rape.

At least I would be totally against that.
I would have absolutely no problem if a girl or a woman wanted to end a rape-induced pregnancy at any point of gestation.

Mike Smalling

You can easily argue that rape cases should follow the same limits as when the health of the mother is in danger. The pregnant woman in a rape case could be in serious danger of depression, other mental health issues, and even self-harm if she was forced to carry a rape baby to term against her wishes.

Withnail

For me it's always a case by case on when an abortion is allowed if it's up to me

1. Endangering the mother's life? Mother's choice

2. Unplanned pregnancy? Deal with it. No life should be lost over just some financial worry.

3. Rape? Tough one where i have no answer.

But as such every rules needs a clear and applicable cut off point and we cant always decide justly on case by case.

If the pregnancy is 9 months? We would all call it murder to abort it.

But if the pregnancy is say 2 weeks? We would say it's the mother's choice.

So rightly there will be an arbitrary age where one is ok then a day after it's murder.

I also dont believe in it's the mother's choice 100% since the baby too has a right to life, and just like children it's up to adults to protect those that still can't protect themselves.

If it's totally up to me, maybe it's 9 weeks less and that's it, no abortion after.

And we all know that condoms works. Those with unplanned pregnancy most of the times uses ovulation calendar just not to wear condoms. So i think it's harsh to really excuse unplanned pregnancy.
Condoms do not always work and no contraception is 100%. I completely disagree on the deal with it part and forcing a rape/incest victim to continue their pregnancy to full-term against their will is cruel beyond belief imo.

While I agree there has to be a limit I think the first trimester is fair enough. Why are you picking 9 weeks? It really doesn't leave a huge amount of time seeing some women may not know they're pregnant until 5 weeks, if not more, have passed.

Peter van der Gea

You said that it was a grey area whether the pregnancy caused by rape should be aborted if the mother wishes. To help you make the distinction between white and black, you were asked to use empathy.

As you yourself cannot be made pregnant, no matter how many times you are raped, the next closest thing to stir up some empathy in you is to apply it to your closest female, which is usually your wife or girlfriend.

If you can make a decision about your immediate female, then you can apply it to others. If you can't or won't do that thought exercise, your opinion is that of an alien.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Can't a pregnant woman in America just use an AR15 to shoot the fetus out of her womb and then claim self defence saying she felt her life was at risk?

This is Amercia after all, it might not be that batshit crazy of an idea.

Edit: no wait, I never thought about the medical expenses.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
I would suggest watching The Janes on HBO, it is a documentary based on the underground abortion network that existed in 1970s Chicago, regardless where someone lies in this issue.

Ted Lasso

Dude is out here romanticizing a heartbeat :lol:
Best part is it's not even a heart. It's a cluster of cells with ions moving across in rhythm.
Come on now. I dont think this is appropriate
On the contrary it's very appropriate when the discussion is centered around controlling the life and choice of someone else, because of your moral sentiment or religious beliefs in a country built on the idea of freedom from those kind of restrictions.

For anyone that cares so sincerely about life, I've never once heard or seen that same level of energy and outrage spent on things that actually have impactful improvement without forcing someone:

- access to birth control, free access
- proper sex education
-. maternity and paternity leave, like actual time off
- universal healthcare
- better welfare funding
- improving the wage gap

The way it should be : Mind your own damn business. Forget your opinion, this quite literally has nothing to do with you.

I would have so much more respect for folks that can't fall asleep at night because of women getting abortions if they had that opinion and said : "it's a shame there are so many sinners out there. My family and I will never do such things. Can't control others though. You're going to hell."

Seriously, just wish us all to hell and be done.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I would have absolutely no problem if a girl or a woman wanted to end a rape-induced pregnancy at any point of gestation.
You honestly would be fine with a 24 week abortion? I really think at that point morally you have to give the child up for adoption. That's just not right. Look into what a 24 year old fetus is.

Peter van der Gea

You honestly would be fine with a 24 week abortion? I really think at that point morally you have to give the child up for adoption. That's just not right. Look into what a 24 year old fetus is.
That's one hell of a pregnancy!