Abu Referee Agenda

Jev

I'm not saying this as a United fan, but objectively speaking, it's a stonewall penalty. I don't see how anyone can see it any other way.
I think it was a penalty too, just not quite the robbery of the century this thread would have you believe, and I can see why a referee in real time would think Weghorst went for it.

OldSchoolManc

I think it was a penalty too, just not quite the robbery of the century this thread would have you believe, and I can see why a referee in real time would think Weghorst went for it.
Except it’s not just this game. It’s since the City game. And way before.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It's exactly this.

They were still banging on about the Bruno goal in the derby 2 weeks later. Lee Dixon was moaning about it during City vs Arsenal.

You give something against Utd and the media and opposition fans love it and it's swept under the rug.
Yup. In fact, usually if you give something against United, the pundits go above and beyond to praise it.

Just look how determined they were to defend the decision to rule out Rashford's goal against Reading. One of them even ignored the defender kicking the ball to declare Weghorst gets the next touch so it's 'clearly offside'. :lol:

Pundits will go to bat for s-t decisions when they're against us.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
There's no agenda lads, just terrible calls. Grow up.

stevoc

After the sheer amount of bitching about the Fernandes goal vs City. We shouldn't be expecting to get a penalty for at least another 6-8 weeks.

Not that it'll make much difference we've barely had any this year. We've only been given one penalty in the league all season and that was in a game where we'd already conceded 6 goals.

goalscholes

I actually didn’t think it was a penalty. Their player touched the ball first.

Despite this, I think there is an issue. For years, jealous opposition fans have banged on about us winning lucky penalties. So when we get anything controversial, it blows up in the press and refs subconsciously seem to want to take the safer option and give us nothing.

For two games in a row we’ve been given yellows for absolutely nothing tackles and opposition players have got away scot free for far worse.

Rolaholic

The Casemiro yellow for him tripping on the pitch and making accidental contact with someone seconds after he was fouled and it wasnt called was particularly ridiculous/egregious.

Definitely feel like the incessant media noise and whining whenever a decision does go our way has come to influence referees decision making on the pitch.

Bloody shame but that's what being the biggest club in the land does, everyone pays attention to you and magnifies every single thing involving you

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I actually didn’t think it was a penalty. Their player touched the ball first.

Despite this, I think there is an issue. For years, jealous opposition fans have banged on about us winning lucky penalties. So when we get anything controversial, it blows up in the press and refs subconsciously seem to want to take the safer option and give us nothing.

For two games in a row we’ve been given yellows for absolutely nothing tackles and opposition players have got away scot free for far worse.
Weghorst nicked the ball of him, that was a clear penalty, The Rashford one was a correct call, Casemiro slipped but that mightn't have been obvious at first glance, yellows aren't reviewable unfortunately

OldSchoolManc

Your honour, in light of new evidence, I would like to conclude that United are being treated differently to others.
Case (miro) in point: some were punished for lesser and some would say exaggerated and edited offences while others got away without any coverage or punishment.
A ‘referee’ even clouted a United player and let play go on until he realised it was probably gonna be seen by millions on the telly.
Said ‘referee’ reluctantly gave United a penalty after being told by VAR that it wasn’t quite right.
7 minutes were found and then expanded upon for inexplicable reasons that could only amount to making it more exciting for the neutral (Anyone but a United fan).
Here lies the evidence, jury please make of it what you will.

ShinjiNinja26

There’s definitely something, we’re on the wrong end of shite decisions far too often. It seems like it’s always one rule for Utd and another for everyone else. Today was a perfect example, Casemiro has his hands on Hughes’s throat, red card. Ayew has his hands on Fred’s throat, nothing given. A fecking disgrace!

croadyman

There’s definitely something, we’re on the wrong end of shite decisions far too often. It seems like it’s always one rule for Utd and another for everyone else. Today was a perfect example, Casemiro has his hands on Hughes’s throat, red card. Ayew has his hands on Fred’s throat, nothing given. A fecking disgrace!
Said earlier the problem with Ayew one is that camera shows both of them with hands up and hand only goes on throat for brief second

Strelok

There's no agenda, the standard of refereeing is just not good enough on the whole. We aren't unique in getting screwed over by it.

The World Cup in Qatar should be the standard that's aspired to. It was by no means perfect but generally it was a hell of a lot better than it is in domestic football right now, and by all accounts this rings true for pretty much all countries.
Agree. Generally imo there's no agenda against any specific club. The PL refs are simply not good enough.

However, imo the last match the VAR guys clearly have some agenda against us. They managed to comb through a whole mess to find a single instance to show the main ref while ignored everything else.

Marriner had also an atrocious performance yesterday imo. Not only he didn't manage to see the blatant handball at the start of the game but also he didn't ask himself why Will Hughes or any Palace player didn't make any complain whatsoever before giving Casemiro the red card. Then the imaginative foul on Sabitzer when it's clear we're on a very dangerous counter attack which Rashford would have scored. At least he should have let the counter attack go on then let Var review the incident later. Like many offside cases lately.

cyberman

The ref wanted to show he was a strong referee who wouldnt be swayed by Old Trafford. It led him into making terrible decisions but it really looks like it was an ego trip for him yesterday rather than a bias against the club

mctrials23

The problem with refs and VAR in general is that they are constantly influenced by outside events. Either explicitly being told to change the way they ref or being affected by previous decisions/pressure.

Its a safe call to make decisions against United. United fans will complain, everyone else will be happy. The other way around, everyone else complains and United fans are happy. One has far less blowback.

When Klopp and Pep comment on United getting decisions we magically get far fewer in our favour. After Klopp commented a few season back it was almost comical the turnaround.

Referees do seem to want to give smaller teams the rub of the green. Let them get away with things they don't let the bigger teams. Perhaps thats why Liverpool somehow got away without having Konate and Fabinho sent off the other day (sorry, couldn't resist).

Yesterday, the ref was told to go and look at the monitor. That is essentially saying "we have looked at this and you have made the wrong decision, change it". I think I can count on one hand the number of times a referee has gone to the monitor and come away with the same decision he gave beforehand. They slowed it down, Casemiros hands are near Hughes neck and thats an easy violent conduct red. Its the safe decision.

Imagine the outrage if he wouldn't have got a red from basically everyone. They would ignore the fact we have had a large number of decisions go against us and suddenly it would be "United getting all the decisions". The safer call by far is to send him off. I don't really blame the ref. Hes shown a few frames and thats it.

They really need to start using more real-speed replays in these things IMO when its not deciding if someone touched the ball etc. Tackles look 10x worse when the guy lunges in, picks the worst spot to connect with and then gets his man vs a sloppy tackle that is a bit unlucky in real-time.

trevor newnham

Supports
Vigo RFC, Charlton
Ayew did exactly the same on Fred and yet escaped censure. It's this inconsistency that drives me bonkers

AndySmith1990

There's no such thing. To suggest such is basically implying that professional referees are corrupt. It's just confirmation bias kicking in when a decision goes against us, and when you're in an environment where tribalism perpetuates (such as a forum) that gets exacerbated. All fan bases think the ref is against them specifically and favours the opposition team. I see it on many forums

arthurka

It just pisses me off that these twats never call anything themselves. Wait for VAR to call it then confirm. It's just pathetic. No there is no agenda.

Andy_Cole

There's no agenda lads, just terrible calls. Grow up.
Wrong. There’s clear media bias vs United. This is because media are players who played for rivals during our glory days. The outrage after that City goal was something else.

This media agenda is pushed onto the refs, perhaps subconsciously. It is there though.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I have just now learned what ABU stands for. I assumed it was some sort of slight against the Emirate and accusation that they buy referees to benefit the oil clubs :nervous:

This does also sound more likely than the media and refs being anti United. Why would they be? Maybe it's the giant pro United love in we have over here since Ten Hehg took over.

cyberman

Wrong. There’s clear media bias vs United. This is because media are players who played for rivals during our glory days. The outrage after that City goal was something else.

This media agenda is pushed onto the refs, perhaps subconsciously. It is there though.
Irish tv claimed yesterdays pen wasn’t a pen and there would be uproar ala the Man City goal over the next week because of it.
Imagine if it was close to not being a pen!

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
There's no such thing. To suggest such is basically implying that professional referees are corrupt. It's just confirmation bias kicking in when a decision goes against us, and when you're in an environment where tribalism perpetuates (such as a forum) that gets exacerbated. All fan bases think the ref is against them specifically and favours the opposition team. I see it on many forums
Why would that be such an impossible thing?

They are nowhere near paid enough as footballers and others invested in the show, and people all around the world are corrupted as feck, in literally any line of work. The leading football association in the world is one of the most corrupted institution in the world for decades.

(Before anyone says, I am not implying they are corrupted by Liverpool or whoever against us, just they could well be corrupted as anyone else in the world is, I always find it amazing that some people here find it so hard that someone can be corrupt).

Lyng

It’s the lack of protection our players are getting that really winds me up. Martinez has his face split open by an elbow and the ref does nothing. Eriksen put in crutches by a wild two-footed lunge. No booking.
This is the thing that winds me up as well. I dont think there is any agenda, but players get away with some right nasty stuff against our players.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Don't get me wrong, feck Andre Marriner, just one of a whole roster of shite refs in this league and he was absolutely wank yesterday, but yet again the rules didn't help him with that red (in particular VAR rules).

If when it went to VAR he was allowed to talk it through publicly AND allowed to give a yellow instead of either red or nothing, then chances are he can explain that he doesn't think there's enough force in it to call it violent conduct, but putting your hands on someone's throat isn't acceptable so he's giving a yellow card.

As it is he has a choice between overreacting or ignoring a blatant offence, and he doesn't even have the ability to explain to the world why he's doing one or the other. Ridiculous situation and PGMOL, the FA and all those other cnuts should be drowned in a bucket.

HookedOnAPhelan

2 long term injuries as the result of bad tackles (Eriksen and Donny), not even a yellow for either. No booking/red for Martinez being elbowed in the face. 2 stonewall penalties (Scott v Palace and Weghorst v Forest) not given. And now this calamity of a performance from Marriner/VAR yesterday.

It really does feel like they are constantly trying to feck us over.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Every fan of every club around the country seems to think they're hard done by with refs and VAR. How can that be possible...

I think we just pay way more attention to our bad decisions and not much to anyone else's. It's just incompetency at times, nothing to do with an agenda.
How can it be possible? You don't think that inconsistent referees affect more than one club?

TrebleChamp99

Supports Liverpool
We have to move on, they will continue to do this.
We had the hand ball early in the season as well, drove me mad.

As soon as United get good again the FA and the refs use us as barometer or try and even the odds for smaller teams. Always happens for us and you never see it against the likes of City for example, they really dont like us. I think it harkens back to the Fergie years, they have used us as an example to the league.

crossy1686

career ending
We probably say this every year but the level of officiating this year is the worst I've ever known it. They introduce a tool that should help someone do their job more effectively and these absolutely egotistical bellends can't even look at a replay correctly incase they get some shit online. At this point it's easier to just remove referee's in general for not moving with the times and replace them with that ChatGPT robot.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
In no way can the Casemiro case be considered a yellow card, let alone a red! The referee made up an incident and decided to send him off when the players around him did much worse.

crossy1686

career ending
In no way can the Casemiro case be considered a yellow card, let alone a red! The referee made up an incident and decided to send him off when the players around him did much worse.
I think they have to rescind the red if we appeal, it's an insane decision to make based off one angle.

90 + 5min

What is important is to bring it up like tenHag did. Put it in the light. Enough is enough. Club needs to say that we are not going to take this anymore. It is hard to win games in football. It is even harder when there are different rules. It is not just referees and media that somehow find ways to put us down. We got some pundits, those who are now nobodies and ”I want 1 minute in fame”-people who likes to put us in bad light.

crossy1686

career ending
What is important is to bring it up like tenHag did. Put it in the light. Enough is enough. Club needs to say that we are not going to take this anymore. It is hard to win games in football. It is even harder when there are different rules. It is not just referees and media that somehow find ways to put us down. We got some pundits, those who are now nobodies and ”I want 1 minute in fame”-people who likes to put us in bad light.
Exactly.

So I was watching the game on mute so I couldn't hear what they were looking for in the replays. I scanned the whole melee multiple times and literally couldn't work out what they were looking at, I presumed it was Fred and Ayew seeing as that looked the most explosive encounter in the entire thing and I literally couldn't find fault with anyone's behaviour. Alright, some were on the boarder of getting booked but it was all handbags, nothing wrong with it. Could not fecking believe the red in the end.

ShinjiNinja26

Exactly. The more Ten Hag shines a spotlight on this the better. We all seen the effect Klopp’s little bitchy outburst about us getting penalties had on officials as we’ve barely had any since. So what managers say clearly has an impact on referees.

Abraxas

How can it be possible? You don't think that inconsistent referees affect more than one club?
Of course they do but that's not the point being made. There's a difference between incompetent referees that are inconsistent and just as likely to be as inconsistent for one team as another and an all out agenda against certain clubs.