AC Milan revival?

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Looking at the Serie A table and I see that they're on top, albeit only 1 point ahead of Inter but 7 ahead of Napoli and Juventus, and they are unbeaten after 13 games.

Like us, their last title was about a decade ago with a series of upper mid-table finishes since then. Are they on their way back to being a force or just on a great run of form?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The run of form dates back to the post-lockdown in June, they lost a grand total of 1 game since in all competitions and still unbeaten in the league in 25 games. Even more to the point in all that time they've actually been genuinely outplayed 3 times - by Napoli and Atalanta in the summer and Lille in a weird game in EL. Majority of the time they smashed their opponents

Ibi Dreams

Haven't watched them, but have heard that Ibrahimovic is doing very well for them. Good for them and for him, but I'd be interested to know how important he's been and how they'd be without him because he surely can't play at that level for much longer

PoTMS

The run of form dates back to the post-lockdown in June, they lost a grand total of 1 game since in all competitions and still unbeaten in the league in 25 games. Even more to the point in all that time they've actually been genuinely outplayed 3 times - by Napoli and Atalanta in the summer and Lille in a weird game in EL. Majority of the time they smashed their opponents
Sounds like us. Hopefully this is the start of redemption for both Milan and United being back where they belong.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Best chance they will have because Juve are god awful.

Im rooting for Milan.

SirAnderson

I'd love for Milan to win it but I feel this year Inter will take it. Juve don't look up to the task at the moment, haven't even last season but you never know with these lot. Doesn't help that the rest of the contenders have the spirit of Spurs in them. The Bottlers league!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sounds like us. Hopefully this is the start of redemption for both Milan and United being back where they belong.
They've been far more impressive than you, albeit against weaker competition

Ibra has been everything for them. His leadership is the reason they got good. On a technical level, he's still very important because their football(and forwards) is reliant on a target man, though they've mostly been able to get results even in his absence

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
This thread has jinxed them for their game vs Lazio tonight :wenger:

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
Chinese investors bringing them back. Sure, they're still called AC Milan but the club is totally made of plastic nowadays.

Same goes for Inter. In the 80's/90's it were Italian sugardaddies bringing Italian football to the top and today it's Asian investors.
Nothing beautiful about this 'revival'.

Hope they fail.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Chinese investors bringing them back. Sure, they're still called AC Milan but the club is totally made of plastic nowadays.

Same goes for Inter. In the 80's/90's it were Italian sugardaddies bringing Italian football to the top and today it's Asian investors.

Hope they fail.
So it wasn't plastic back then?

I don't know any player that plays for Milan apart from Ibra and their keeper. That to me is mind-blowing given how iconic they were over the past 2 decades.

el3mel

I really really want them to win the league this season. Would be fantastic for them and for Zlatan as well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Their current investors are american actually. The chinese had no money, as it turned out

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
They play good football as well. Hernandez has been a standout performer alongside Kessie.

kaiser1

Supports
Bayern Munich
I'd love for Milan to win it but I feel this year Inter will take it. Juve don't look up to the task at the moment, haven't even last season but you never know with these lot. Doesn't help that the rest of the contenders have the spirit of Spurs in them. The Bottlers league!

I believe this will happen too. Inter has more depth and quality to do the rigors of a 38 matches season than Milan. Juve might need to sack Pirlo to get back on track

Makelele

Ibra made a world of difference to their mentality
Obviously he has had an effect, but only to the degree a player can impact an entire team.

The real change is most likely behind the scene. They have revamped their recruitment policy completely after getting in some new American owners; Elliott Management. Anyone who knows anything about the business world will know what they are about.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC

Hope they fail.
Milan is owned by Elliott Management which is an American Firm. The Chinese was already bankrupt.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne

Hope they fail.
Not everyone can match the pure and innocent sugardaddery of Silvio Berlusconi true enough.

GMok

Supports
ATK Mohun Bagan FC
That said, AC milan is the only Italian team I have any fondness for. I hope they win the scudetto. After all the talks with Rangnick, Pioli has actually turned out to be very good.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
So it wasn't plastic back then?

I don't know any player that plays for Milan apart from Ibra and their keeper. That to me is mind-blowing given how iconic they were over the past 2 decades.
This. Always find it funny when Chelsea fans are called plastic, while Milan is somehow prestigious. Berlo did the same with Milan almost 2 decades before Roman.

Their current investors are american actually. The chinese had no money, as it turned out
If you're talking about Elliot, I wouldn't call them owners :lol:
That was hell of a crazy deal, and incompetency on Milan's part isn't widely talked about IMO.

Idxomer

The good news for them is they didn't crumble in Ibra's absence, so it's not all due to him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
This. Always find it funny when Chelsea fans are called plastic, while Milan is somehow prestigious. Berlo did the same with Milan almost 2 decades before Roman.
Surely there's a difference between pre-Roman Chelsea and pre-Bersulconi Milan that won 2 European Cups, 10 Serie A titles and had tons of legendary players & managers (Rivera, Nordahl, Liedholm, Schiaffino, Gren, Hamrin, Altafini, Trap, Roco etc.).

padr81

Supports
Man City

Hope they fail.
The nationality of a sugar daddy matters how?

SilentStrike

Supports
Feyenoord
The nationality of a sugar daddy matters how?
Oh the Italian sugardaddies were just as terrible for football, perhaps in the grand scheme of things even worse (considering the dubious ways they made their money).

Perhaps my post was misunderstood, I'm not romanticising the Italian sugardaddies against Chinese ones.

sourdough satellite

If you're talking about Elliot, I wouldn't call them owners :lol:
That was hell of a crazy deal, and incompetency on Milan's part isn't widely talked about IMO.
So what do you call them?

padr81

Supports
Man City
Oh the Italian sugardaddies were just as terrible for football, perhaps in the grand scheme of things even worse (considering the dubious ways they made their money).

Perhaps my post was misunderstood, I'm not romanticising the Italian sugardaddies against Chinese ones.
Ah right I misunderstood, but I get ya.

nuanced

loves geopolitical narrative
Surely there's a difference between pre-Roman Chelsea and pre-Bersulconi Milan that won 2 European Cups, 10 Serie A titles and had tons of legendary players & managers (Rivera, Nordahl, Liedholm, Schiaffino, Gren, Hamrin, Altafini, Trap, Roco etc.).
Maybe I'm mistaken, but I never got the impression that Milan were prestigious club before the late 80's, apart from some time under Nereo Rocco in the 60's. The arrival of Berlo and subsequently Arrigo Sacchi, and their golden generation is what led to the impression of a European great Milan in the minds of modern fans over the next 2 decades IMO.

Last edited:

tomaldinho1

Hope they fail.
Aren't they owned by Elliott Mgmt?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Well no, there isn't. Italian clubs have been bankrolled by sugar daddies since footballers turned pro in Italy

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
What dubious ways were those?

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
Wonder what the odds on there being different winners in the Italian, Spanish, French & Scottish leagues this season?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Calisto Tanzi was the owner of Parmalat who bankrolled Parma. Parmalat is still the largest bankruptcy in European history and it was later found out that huge amounts of money was embezzled.

Berlusconi - suspended prison term for tax fraud.
Yes. Parmalat incidentally was caused in large part by him shifting money into Parma(well, technically he shifted Parma's debt on Parmalat) Similar things happened at various other clubs with owners bankrupting themselves/their companies and the clubs

The way they made the money was no different from billionaire's everywhere

A-man

They've been far more impressive than you, albeit against weaker competition

Ibra has been everything for them. His leadership is the reason they got good. On a technical level, he's still very important because their football(and forwards) is reliant on a target man, though they've mostly been able to get results even in his absence
Agree with this, but would also like to add that Ibra scoring two goals per match also helps.