Academy players playing for the first team

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
we had yesterday FIVE of our own academy players on the pitch

Not many, if any other PL club can say that?

Sometimes we knock our scouts etc but you have to say that the academy is doing a good job

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
If we go by home grown players then we had 9 HG players yesterday.

Young
Smalling
Shaw
McTominay
Pogba
Rashford
Lukaku
Pereira
Lingard

If it's our academy players, then yeah we had 5 academy players on the pitch.

Trizy

Doubt any top team playing another top team has ever had more than 3 homegrown players. If there had been 3+ previously, it's because United broke the record

TRUERED89

How rewarding would a win have felt, with 5 academy players on the pitch. However, Considering the circumstances and lack of minutes for both; McTominay and Pereira were excellent and disciplined in such a pressured and demanding game. They more than held their own.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
we had yesterday FIVE homegrown players on the pitch

Sometimes we knock our scouts etc but you have to say that the academy is doing a good job
It’s true, wouldn’t happen at any other top club. That said, there’s probably a reason for that, as our side was severely weakened as a result.

cyril C

we had yesterday FIVE homegrown players on the pitch

I think you are talking about 2 separate things. City and Chelsea have good scouts, but they also use enterprising method to "seduce" young talents to their Academy, so their Academy are big and full of talents. Comparing like for like, MU Academy is definitely inferior, both on quality and quantity. As I was told our Academy facility is not as competitive as well. If you look at Academy alone as a talent production factory, we are behind.

The 2nd thing you are referring to, is how much of these talents are being fed into the 1st team. I believe both City and Chelsea have NONE home grown? (Correct me if I am wrong. Fodan gets Cup game but did he started against Chelsea?). This has a lot to do with management philosophy, incoming managers being arm-twisted to give Youngsters a chance. Regardless of how much people hate LVG and Mourinho, they did contribute.

That was a joke before, just count the what-if Chelsea alumni attackers

Salah Costa KDB
Hazard
Kante Matic

With Lukaku on bench

Lastwolf

It seem comical but iirc he does actually count as homegrown and if he does not he hasn't missed it by that much. He was 18 when he joined Chelsea and all it requires is that you spend 36 months registered to an English club before the age of 21.

Edit: looked it up, he does count.

roonster09

Scout
Doubt any top team playing another top team has ever had more than 3 homegrown players. If there had been 3+ previously, it's because United broke the record
Barca had Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Pedro, Puyol, Pique, Valdes playing regularly for them and then the had Fabregas, Alba, Sergi Roberto.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Barca had Messi, Xavi, Iniesta, Busquets, Pedro, Puyol, Pique, Valdes playing regularly for them and then the had Fabregas, Alba, Sergi Roberto.
La masia just blows our academy away

Last edited by a moderator:

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Pique is a La Masia youth product but I don't believe he qualifies as home grown as you have to have been with a club for 3 years between the ages of 15 and 21 and he joined United officially when he was 17 years old and 5 months and came back when when he had already turned 21 so he is 7 months shorts of counting as home grown so he belongs in the bracket with Fabregas and Alba. Sergi Roberto is 100% home grown having joined Barca at aged 14.

Scholsey2004

Can we drop the term 'home grown' which refers to players who spent three years at any premier league club before they turned 21. The OP is obviously referring to players who were produced by the youth academy of the club they play for.

AkaAkuma

It seem comical but iirc he does actually count as homegrown and if he does not he hasn't missed it by that much. He was 18 when he joined Chelsea and all it requires is that you spend 36 months registered to an English club before the age of 21.

Edit: looked it up, he does count.
I had assumed he'd joined Chelsea too late. Worth keeping him considering the english tax on lesser strikers.

Negan

Let’s hope we see a few more tomorrow with Gomes and Chong.

choiboyx012

Carrick>Hargreaves
I think most people consider "homegrown" as someone either from the city/town of their club, or an academy player who was brought up in the club's ethos and philosophy. Dont think 3 years or whatever matters. Pique lives and breathes barca, and is from there. So i consider him a barca homegrown talent. Fabregas is harder to label because he came to arsenal so young and stayed for many years as a pivotal player.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
Depends on if you consider Lyon a top team because they have had times when they have had 8 or 9 homegrown players on the pitch over the years.

roonster09

Scout
Depends on if you consider Lyon a top team because they have had times when they have had 8 or 9 homegrown players on the pitch over the years.
Bayern also played Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Muller, Kroos, Alaba regularly.

AkaAkuma

I think most people consider "homegrown" as someone either from the city/town of their club, or an academy player who was brought up in the club's ethos and philosophy. Dont think 3 years or whatever matters. Pique lives and breathes barca, and is from there. So i consider him a barca homegrown talent. Fabregas is harder to label because he came to arsenal so young and stayed for many years as a pivotal player.
Most people consider homegrown to reference the 'homegrown' quota.

Trizy

Bayern also played Schweinsteiger, Lahm, Muller, Kroos, Alaba regularly.
Meant top 6 teams. I'm sure plenty of clubs throughout Europe have fielded more than United on several occasions. It's just impressive to do it in England given how fond we are of the transfer market and foreign players.

roonster09

Scout
Meant top 6 teams. I'm sure plenty of clubs throughout Europe have fielded more than United on several occasions. It's just impressive to do it in England given how fond we are of the transfer market and foreign players.
Yeah, if it's England then we are far ahead. Only Spurs can come close I guess with Kane, Winks playing regularly.

neilv93

Isn't it something stupid like 80+ years now that we've fielded an academy graduate in consecutive games or something? A trend that's sure to continue with the next crop coming through - Greenwood, Chong, Gomes, Garner, Laird et al.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Can we drop the term 'home grown' which refers to players who spent three years at any premier league club before they turned 21. The OP is obviously referring to players who were produced by the youth academy of the club they play for.
Correct. I’ve updated the title and OP. I was indeed referring to the players that we developed and promoted from the academy

Relfy

Isn't it something stupid like 80+ years now that we've fielded an academy graduate in consecutive games or something? A trend that's sure to continue with the next crop coming through - Greenwood, Chong, Gomes, Garner, Laird et al.
If I remember correctly this will be the 3960th game or thereabouts! Incredible record.

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
And on the day we remembered Eric Harrison as well. Fantastic.

Bwuk

3 academy graduates ending the game in midfield, with one out on the left.

Great to see. We could put out a decent academy graduate side.

Henderson
Timbo - McTominay - Tuanzebe - Laird
Garner - Gomes - Pogba
Chong - Rashford - Lingard​

Fosu-Mens

3 academy graduates ending the game in midfield, with one out on the left.

Great to see. We could put out a decent academy graduate side.

Henderson
Timbo - McTominay - Tuanzebe - Laird
Garner - Gomes - Pogba
Chong - Rashford - Lingard​
Henderson
Laird - McTominay - Tuanzebe - Williams
Garner - Gomes - Pogba
Greenwood - Rashford - Lingard

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Finished with 4 on the pitch tonight, for me that's what United is all about, showing faith in your academy players and showing them that there's a place in the team for them if they perform. McTominay, Rashford (despite it only being a brief cameo tonight) and Pogba in particular have played well in this makeshift side.