Academy players playing for the first team

Raw

It does feel a lot better not only playing but winning with academy products. I realise not everyone's going to make it but I do think a good few of these players will at least be reliable squad options in the future.

R77

That's amazing, considering our successes along the way. Part of what makes United what it is in my opinion. Can any other big club come close? Barca maybe? Long may it continue. Ole's offspring? Solskjaer's saplings? Someone will come up with a name if it works out I'm sure.

Dante

Average bang
That's amazing, considering our successes along the way. Part of what makes United what it is in my opinion. Can any other big club come close? Barca maybe? Long may it continue. Ole's offspring? Solskjaer's saplings? Someone will come up with a name if it works out I'm sure.
Ole's Alumni.

Lentwood

It's great to see - I often think a player you've produced through the Academy who understands the club, it's fans and has that real connection with the city is better than a slightly more talented but 'unconnected' 'outsider'.

Most of History's greatest, most consistent sides have had a strong core of 'homegrown' players

TRUERED89

Huge shout out to Scott McTominay, he was superb last night, composed, aggressive, (wasn't afraid to scrap it up a few times with Zaha). Always looking for a forward pass, defended and protected the back 4 well, really think we've got a top talent on our hands. Hopefully OGS and his staff nurture and develop him well and we may have a perfect replacement for Matic if he continues to play like last night every week. 8/10 performance for me, one of the best players on the pitch last night and considering he's only started a hand full on games for United, that is mightily impressive.

POF

Ole clearly values the character of the academy players. His first move as manager was to build around Rashford, Pogba and Lingard (along with Martial).

When the midfield players got injured, his first reaction was to go for the academy players rather than Fred because he knows he can trust them.

After losing its identity as a club under Moyes, LVG and Jose, now more than ever the club needs to embrace the academy players. It's all part of making the club seem like United again.

Denis79

Ole clearly values the character of the academy players. His first move as manager was to build around Rashford, Pogba and Lingard (along with Martial).

When the midfield players got injured, his first reaction was to go for the academy players rather than Fred because he knows he can trust them.

After losing its identity as a club under Moyes, LVG and Jose, now more than ever the club needs to embrace the academy players. It's all part of making the club seem like United again.
Did you see how almost whole of the staff encouraged Garner before he made his debut. Brought a tear to my eye.

Flanders Devil

Did you see how almost whole of the staff encouraged Garner before he made his debut. Brought a tear to my eye.
Not being facetious, and genuinely asking - did Garner get a touch of the ball?

I was trying to watch out for it, and my stream did die for a min or two, but I couldn’t recall him getting on the ball. There was a bunch of throw ins where McT and co just kept it on the sideline.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!

I was trying to watch out for it, and my stream did die for a min or two, but I couldn’t recall him getting on the ball. There was a bunch of throw ins where McT and co just kept it on the sideline.
I just saw Rom embracing him and chatting to him at the end.Superb camaraderie

The squad must be aware of his ability, they see him every day

Denis79

Think he had a clearence? Not sure now that you mention it.

davidmichael

I fully expect Tuanzebe, Garner, McTominay, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood to play a part in the team next season which on top of Pogba, Rashford and Lingard is some going.

Mugiwarared71

La masia just blows our academy away
dont want to take anything away from la masia but Messi was from Newlls old boys and came as a very young boy to Barcelona of course still counting towards their youth products .

Fridge chutney

After Scott McTomimay's performances over the last 2 games, last year's embarrassing lambasting of him is should be pinned a shamed.

All of this and we don't even have our brightest current academy talent Greenwood playing yet!

Bola

I fully expect Tuanzebe, Garner, McTominay, Gomes, Chong and Greenwood to play a part in the team next season which on top of Pogba, Rashford and Lingard is some going.
I still have faith in TFM. Some forget his good stuff for Palace and may get a chance at Fulham for the rrst of the season now Ranieri has gone

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
After Scott McTomimay's performances over the last 2 games, last year's embarrassing lambasting of him is should be pinned a shamed.

All of this and we don't even have our brightest current academy talent Greenwood playing yet!
Eh? 2 games changes a years worth of performances?

Fridge chutney

Eh? 2 games changes a years worth of performances?
Of course not. But the premise that a player, especially a young one like McTominay, can't grow into a role or squad, is preposterous. There was a wall of drivel written about the lad.

Web of Bissaka

Ole's offspring? Solskjaer's saplings? Someone will come up with a name if it works out I'm sure.
Ole have to stay next season continuing his project first.

Busby Babes and Fergie Fledglings.

Following that, it'll have to be Solskjaer S_________

Maybe... Solskjaer Suns.
or
if we use Norwegian words,
  • Solskjaer Sønner (= sons in english)
  • Solskjaer Soldater (= soldiers)

Joe Sowerby

Realistically, how many of the current crop of academy players do you think will make it?

lysglimt

Scout
Realistically, how many of the current crop of academy players do you think will make it?
Not many. I think quite a few have the potential and the quality to make it - but there are so many things that need to go right.

But imo - Laird, O'Connor, Gomes, Chong, Greenwood and Garner all have a good chance. But realistically I think maybe 2-3 of them will be regulars for United within 2-3 years. I also think Josh Bohui will have a good career - and I think he has taken much bigger steps than several of his teammates at that level.

The ones I think will be hardest to judge are Chong and Gomes - I question their physique and consistency. O'Connor has a bit of the same problem. I think Laird and Greenwood will make it as they have both the quality and the ability to play in several positions

lysglimt

Scout
Ole have to stay next season continuing his project first.

Busby Babes and Fergie Fledglings.

Following that, it'll have to be Solskjaer S_________

Maybe... Solskjaer Suns.
or
if we use Norwegian words,
  • Solskjaer Sønner (= sons in english)
  • Solskjaer Soldater (= soldiers)
A few maybe not quite as serious suggestions :)

Solskjaers Swashbucklers
Solskjaers Sheep
Solskjaers Sweethearts
Solskjaers Scoundrels

davidmichael

I still have faith in TFM. Some forget his good stuff for Palace and may get a chance at Fulham for the rrst of the season now Ranieri has gone
If used as a midfield destroyer I think he’d have a chance too but he’s never been used in one position so has progressed as he would have done, apparently Ajax really want him this summer and can see him going back to Holland for a fresh start.

Keefy18

we had yesterday FIVE of our own academy players on the pitch

Not many, if any other PL club can say that?

Sometimes we knock our scouts etc but you have to say that the academy is doing a good job
Question is, how many of them will go on to forge careers at the club? Probably not many sadly.

No club in England provides more home grown players than United still to this day around the country so I never understand the moaning from our fan base when they wax lyrical about City's shiny new training and youth facilities. They've little or no reward still to show for it so far other than Foden.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
5 players played against PSG away. 3 started (Rashford, McTominay, Periera) and 2 came on when we needed a goal to qualify.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.