Accidental history: The phone call that took Cantona to United

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout

F365 said:
It’s probably underestimated just what a gift Cantona was in that respect. In him the television companies had a star. Not just an excellent player, but a mesmerising personality who performed right on the edge of madness. Before Selhurst Park, there were times when he stepped on to the pitch in a black mood and then simmered for 90 minutes. His talent was never a prisoner of his temperament, though, meaning that his fury could manifest in all sorts of ways.

And, even now, that distinguishes him as arguably the most compelling figure in the Premier League’s history...
More:
https://www.football365.com/news/accidental-history-the-phone-call-that-took-cantona-to-united

Superunknown

This is brilliant:
That's amazing. I wonder what those people would say about him now!
One of my favourite players to watch as a kid. A really special player who always looked like he was about to do something every time he was on the pitch. I always felt that we would win whenever his name was on the teamsheet.

Reactions: SteveJ

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
The greatest man in the history of everything, my hero.
I'm going to repeat what I've said before but feck it I'm right, he played for utd like we all wish we could, with a snarl, and a swagger that was as Mancunian as any Salford lad I've ever known. With class style verve panache and an intensity that made him untouchable. Long live the king of kings, his royal fecking awesomeness, Eric Cantona.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I'm going to repeat what I've said before but feck it I'm right, he played for utd like we all wish we could, with a snarl, and a swagger that was as Mancunian as any Salford lad I've ever known. With class style verve panache and an intensity that made him untouchable. Long live the king of kings, his royal fecking awesomeness, Eric Cantona.
Amen.

walkinhop

/Thread

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
So no truth in the rumour that SAF rang up for some wine advice, and accidentally bought Eric?

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
For younger fans, you can't exaggerate the influence he had in both the short and long term history of this club. After missing out on the title in such agonising fashion to Leeds the previous season, there was a bit of a cloud over the club. We'd tried and failed to sign David Hirst and eventually bought Dion Dublin, who broke his leg early in the season. The football was stale and the fans were disgruntled. Then, out of nowhere, Eric signed.

He immediately had a rejuvenating effect on the team, bringing goals and assists. The difference was huge. We went on to completely turn things around and won the league, then a league and cup double and on and on...totally changed the direction of the club.

And he was a cool fecking dude. My favourite ever footballer.

lysglimt

Scout
Here is a transcript of the phonecall that took Cantona to United

Secretary; Hi - I am calling from Leeds United

Person : How do you do ?

Secretary: We have a person here who needs to go to Manchester. Do you have a car available ?

Person: No problem - we will have a car there in 10 minutes.

Secretary. Thank you very much

Wilt

Cantona, greatest ever Premier league player bar none.

Will Singh

I’ll never forget we were away to Ipswich Town we won 2-1 Giggsy and Cantona scored. Anyway after the game I was waiting around the back for the players to come out, was about 50 or so fans. When the King came out naturally everyone went to him to shake he’s hand (they’re when he had a bandage on he’s hand) but the King has spotted a young lad in a wheelchair st the back so he started moving through the crowd and no one knew what he was doing as he didn’t say nothing kneeled down to this young lad in a wheelchair and made he’s day. Everyone literally clapped in tears as there was no way for him to spit this lad but he did and compromised he’s safety to get to him.

b82REZ

I’ll never forget we were away to Ipswich Town we won 2-1 Giggsy and Cantona scored. Anyway after the game I was waiting around the back for the players to come out, was about 50 or so fans. When the King came out naturally everyone went to him to shake he’s hand (they’re when he had a bandage on he’s hand) but the King has spotted a young lad in a wheelchair st the back so he started moving through the crowd and no one knew what he was doing as he didn’t say nothing kneeled down to this young lad in a wheelchair and made he’s day. Everyone literally clapped in tears as there was no way for him to spit this lad but he did and compromised he’s safety to get to him.
I went to watch United train at the Cliff. It was well known at the end of the session Eric would come over to sign autographs. The session ended and loads of players came over to give autographs. Most of the squad had left and young me was getting upset he hadn't seen his hero yet. Then he started walking over to the fence. The crowd was massive and I ran towards it and climbed a grit bin to get a better view. Eric saw me, stopped all the other supporters, shook my hand, helped me down, signed my autograph and spoke to me for about 2 minutes.

Foxbatt

At one time he was the best player in the world at that particular period. I remember at that time Maradona saying that Cantona was the best player at that time. Not saying the best ever but during that particular period or year he was the best player.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
That run from January to May '96 (including the famous 1-0 at St James's) he was untouchable. I think he scored the winner, or last- gasp equaliser in about 10 games, including the winner against the Scousers in the Cup Final. And all that on the back of his return from the 8 month ban. He was absolutely inspired.

bdspeedy

There is a great video of his best goals to the song "let's get it started". Poor quality video but GREAT content. It's gotten pulled many times over the years but if you can, find it. Gives me goosebumps every time I watch it. Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant player. My favorite ever.

Will Singh

I went to watch United train at the Cliff. It was well known at the end of the session Eric would come over to sign autographs. The session ended and loads of players came over to give autographs. Most of the squad had left and young me was getting upset he hadn't seen his hero yet. Then he started walking over to the fence. The crowd was massive and I ran towards it and climbed a grit bin to get a better view. Eric saw me, stopped all the other supporters, shook my hand, helped me down, signed my autograph and spoke to me for about 2 minutes.
What a legend he is, long live the King.