Accounts show United will likely have to sell to buy big this summer

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Does it have to be Pogba for a cut-price fee?

Can we not ship out Mata (prob earning 150K) Lingard, Jones and Smalling (prob all earning around 100K or more)?

We also really need to shift Sanchez, take a financial hit. He's what, earning 10m a year. Could pay half of that shit for the next couple of years and get him out the door. If we get a fee for him it would go towards those wages for nothing.

Quite worried by this given we're supposedly "building".

OverratedOpinion

Well Pogba will be sold and either way we will look to structure summer deals with a large amount of amortization. I imagine we will sign two players for over 50m in the summer with a third (backup striker) for significantly less.

nyanza

I just had a thought that this might be the new tactic to stop clubs from taking riddiculus amounts of money. Ed might be on to something..
This would only work if he starts working on deals in advance. Won't be too convincing after selling Pogba.

C'est Moi Cantona

It'll be a net spend of around £50 million again, and that'll include Bruno, so we're already at about that now.

However they wrap it up, Pogba, Lingard, and Pereria sales, will likely be our summer budget.

Renegade

Because he'd just bought Bailly and Lindelof a season earlier - it's not really surprising the club were a bit mythed about having to buy a 3rd CB straight away.
I agree with this. There needed to be a level of accountability from Jose.

Cathy Ferguson

Paying around 50m for Bruno might leave us with another 70m to spend net.

Pogba +20m might get us Sancho.

Graelish might be 60m.

Lingard, Smalling, Rojo, Periera, Mata, Sanchez will shave the wage bill but will not generate a lot of transfer income, but maybe enough to buy Zakaria and David?

It will be tight to afford these four players wo CL footy but it would make a great window. Key will be to sign the players before the Euros.

Mainoldo

Maybe we just get a good coach and we can stop trying to buy our way back to the top for a couple season, whilst increasing our player assets.

This current model seems unattainable.

sparx99

So on average broadcast revenue is down £40 mio per quarter that’s £160 mio per year and the salary reduction is only £28 mio per annum

Hmmm need this cultural shift speedy fella

If my sums are right l
Broadcast revenues would be quite different in different quarters. So June, July and August wouldn't have any European revenue for example.

Dorris

What’s our cash reserves got to do with summer spending? This is a ridiculously simplistic view of the accounts

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
—————Henderson
Awb-Tuanzebe-Maguire-shaw
———————Fred
———Grealish-Fernandes
-—————Sancho
Greenwood—————Rashford

Romero
Williams
Lindelof
Matic
McTominay
James
Ighalo

sell de Gea, Pogba and martial winning

Last edited:

lysglimt

Scout
Pogba, Henderson (with buy-back clause), Jones, Lingard and Andreas should easily fetch £200 million +

So with a net spend of £50 million - we can get 3-4 quality players in

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
There have been some good posts on this forum by people that actually understand these financial reports. Suggest everyone reads them. There is no reason why United cant go out and spend fairly big this summer as long as the deals are structured correctly.

wolvored

I think if we sell Pogba and get Sancho we will only be getting 1 other cheapish (£30-40mill) player, probably an attacker. If we sell Pogba, dont sign Sancho, we may get Grealish another cheaper RW and Attacker. Maybe a DM. Depends how Woody operates.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It’ll be slow and underwhelming as always. I do think our last few signings have been a step in the right direction and we may be onto something recruitment wise. I’m not sure how much we are going to spend. I’d love to just keep pogba and get sancho. That would be enough to really improve us. We aren’t going to go mad in market anymore it seems.

Hawks2008

I mean, Pogba will go for something in the region of £100m so there's that, and if we're offloading the likes of Smalling, Sanchez, Lingard etc. then there's another £60m or so. So I don't think we'll be strapped for cash.

As others have said I do wonder if it would be worth moving DDG on given the emergence of Henderson. I think it'd break my heart but might be a smart move, wages would be a stumbling block though.

Greck

Some of these sales figures are incredibly optimistic. Offliading Sanchez for example will cost not earn us money wages and contract payoffs included. We could get 80m for Pogba from one of the Italian clubs. All reports coming out of Madrid will make ones blood boil because they are reportedly gearing up to lowball us with an insulting offer. Read they value him 50m. I see him going to Italy. Add over 100m in sales and we should have a budget of well over 200m which isn't bad

pav1790

—————Henderson
———————Fred
———Grealish-Fernandes
-—————Sancho
Greenwood—————Rashford

Romero
Williams
Lindelof
Matic
McTominay
James
Ighalo

That first 11 is a bit funny. Greenwood will take a couple of years to become starter and he will play centrally. Sancho- the whole point is that he is comfortable on right why play him centrally Ahead Of Bruno?

I doubt Martial will be let go. He is the right age and right playstyle for a fast team. He’s bad for a ponderous midfield which is what we had for a while. Let’s wait till the end of the season to see what Bruno can help him do. Even Rashford looked ineffective when Martial was out.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
The academy undoubtedly produces good players but we don't seem to be able to sell the kids who don't quite make it. Loaning them out has worked but they never sell for much money.
If they can be sold for much money then they are good player for at least to stay here to be backup. Those who are not good enough obviously has not much value, not rocket science.

pav1790

If they can be sold for much money then they are good player for at least to stay here to be backup. Those who are not good enough obviously has not much value, not rocket science.
Well there are a few like welbeck and cleverly. Good enough to be back up at the club, good enough for premier league and want more playing time. In fact, current PL and past is littered with talent that could not break into the first team and was sold but are starters elsewhere. And that doesn’t even include Pique et al.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Well there are a few like welbeck and cleverly. Good enough to be back up at the club, good enough for premier league and want more playing time. In fact, current PL and past is littered with talent that could not break into the first team and was sold but are starters elsewhere. And that doesn’t even include Pique et al.
Welbeck cost 16m pounds at that time was a good money. So I don't know what's your point there? We did get good amount of money from selling Welbeck.

pav1790

Welbeck cost 16m pounds at that time was a good money. So I don't know what's your point there? We did get good amount of money from selling Welbeck.
I was specifically pointing out the fact that a player can be not good enough for us to keep in squad and still be sold for good money.

Red_toad

I was specifically pointing out the fact that a player can be not good enough for us to keep in squad and still be sold for good money.
We can sell players who are on lower wages. Jesse is on very good money for a player of his talents, he’s going to be difficult to move on.
This thread is on full FM mode, such unrealistic expectations when it comes to selling. Debt up, cash reserves down, certainly not a good thing.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
You mentioned that Welbeck is good enough to be backup for our squad. So I am not sure what are you trying to argue or against regarding to my post OR where the relation to my post?

Scholsey2004

—————Henderson
———————Fred
———Grealish-Fernandes
-—————Sancho
Greenwood—————Rashford

Romero
Williams
Lindelof
Matic
McTominay
James
Ighalo

That's virtually identical to the squad/lineup I've come to taking into account the players we've been linked with. The only difference is I picked McTominay, lindelof and Williams as first rather than second choices. We may end up going for Maddison rather than Sancho depending on circumstances as well. Either way we'd be looking at a very strong squad with a sizeable English contingent.

Selling Martial and De Gea seems like the right time to me with Greenwood and Henderson kicking on. You could argue it's maybe a season early for Greenwood but Ighalo and James can rotate with him and Rashford anyway. On top of that there's still a lot of deadwood, fringe players we can easily live without and players like Pogba and Matic who want a move for varying reasons.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
With his high wage demand, and his super agent transfer cut, we'll be lucky to get 10m from Lingard sale.

Scholsey2004

That first 11 is a bit funny. Greenwood will take a couple of years to become starter and he will play centrally. Sancho- the whole point is that he is comfortable on right why play him centrally Ahead Of Bruno?

I doubt Martial will be let go. He is the right age and right playstyle for a fast team. He’s bad for a ponderous midfield which is what we had for a while. Let’s wait till the end of the season to see what Bruno can help him do. Even Rashford looked ineffective when Martial was out.
Sancho could easily play very effectively as a Firmino style false 9 which is how this formation would work in reality. Rashford and greenwood would start wide and behind Sancho and move past him like Salah and Mane do. Imo that could be quite effective.

Dante

Average bang
Even if we don't sell anyone:

Sancho £120m
Grealish £60m
Zakaria £50m
Upemancano £70m

£300m total, spread out over 3 years, works out at £100m cash per year.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Maybe we just get a good coach and we can stop trying to buy our way back to the top for a couple season, whilst increasing our player assets.

This current model seems unattainable.
100% this. The best way ahead but will not be taken because we have Ed and Glazers calling the shots.

RkkMan

I weirdly don't see spending being an issue this summer if we add the sales of Pogba, Smalling, Rojo, Lingard and Matic(?) we could generate a fee of over £150m add that on top of our usual £150m budget and we'd have money to buy Sancho, Grealish, a cost effective DM and possibly a rotational ST all of which are possible

Greck

Even if we don't sell anyone:

Sancho £120m
Grealish £60m
Zakaria £50m
Upemancano £70m

£300m total, spread out over 3 years, works out at £100m cash per year.
I dont know, Are we supposed to take 100m from future years' transfer budgets? That's irresponsible business. Also assumes the selling clubs will even agree to a 3 year payment plan. We usually have to pay something substantial upfront

RedIan

Out —
Pogba £120m
Lingard £20m
Pereira £10m
Matic £20m
smalling £25m - more??
Sanchez £25m - more??

£210mil there.

Toni's Left Foot

Cash reserves figure won't include season ticket sales for 2020/21.

How much do Utd typically bring in every year for season ticket sales? Maybe in region of £60m?

Last edited:

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Club should stop paying out dividends to shareholders until we get back to the top and keep the cash for transfers. If only we had sensible owners. :rolleyes:

Andersons Dietician

Maguire alone was around 65% of our summer budget.
Because reports were leading up to that transfer window and during Jose had said he didn’t need a CB. He then turned round and went in a sLUL demanding one and kicking off which inevitably was one of the things that led to his downfall.

Did Leicster release a press statement saying Maguire was available and for 60mil that season?

-Supreme-

We could easily get £150m from these players, what's interesting is that none of them have made any contributions this season.

Smalling - £15m
Pogba - £100m
Lingard - £10m
Periera - £15m
Dalot - £10m
Sanchez - £0
Rojo - £0