Film Acting that left you speechless.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Ian McShane throughout Deadwood:

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I tried to pick a scene from Two Billboards but its just littered with great acting. Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson and Sam Rockwell and supporting cast are phenomenal.

Idxomer

Brando in Last Tango is still the pinnacle of acting, he laid it all out there with this performance and stopped giving a shit afterward.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Rooney Mara - Girl With the Dragon Tattoo
De Niro - Deer Hunter
Robin Williams - Good Will Hunting
John Turturro - Millers Crossing
Bradley Cooper - Silver Linings Playbook
Jake Gyllenhaal - Nightcrawler
Miles Teller - Whiplash
Al Pacino - Carlitos Way (My personal Pacino fave)
Edward Norton - American History X
Josh Brolin - Oldboy
Hugh Jackman - Prisoners
Viggo Mortensen - Eastern Promises
Ryan Gosling - Fracture/Drive
Joaquin Phoenix - Her/Walk The Line
Logan Lerman - Fury
Colin Farrell - In Bruges
Sam Rockwell - Moon
Oscar Isaac - Most Violent Year/Ex-Machina (Alicia Vikander too)
Nice choices!

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Honourable mention to Robin Williams in Insomnia. He was very good in that IMO. I'm always impressed when comedic actors or comics nail more sinister roles.

Superunknown

One performance that never gets talked about is Al Pacino in The Devil's Advocate.

The way he delivers that speech. It's not the best movie (I still like it), but you can tell that he had a lot of fun in this scene. It's classic Pacino. Love the guy.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
One performance that never gets talked about is Al Pacino in The Devil's Advocate.

The way he delivers that speech. It's not the best movie (I still like it), but you can tell that he had a lot of fun in this scene. It's classic Pacino. Love the guy.
Probably because Pacino has a lot of very good films.

Superunknown

Probably because Pacino has a lot of very good films.
Oh, not denying that at all. He's one of the greats, no question about it.

But there's something about that scene that I posted that stuck with me. The writing is great, but the way he acts it out just elevates it. The devil lecturing and ranting about God, that's hilarious, but Pacino adds layers to it. It's a scene that's stuck with me for a long time. Great acting.

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
Eddie Redmayne left me completely speechless with his performance in Jupiter Ascending.

Some great ones in here. A few of mine.

. Denzil in Training Day
. Christoph Waltz in Inglorious. Although him being in Django spoiled the performance a bit.
. Bruce Willis in Pulp Fiction
. Philip Seymour Hoffman in Charlie Wilson’s War

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
I'd echo the Robin Williams love for Good Will, also, I'd be hard pressed to find an actor with a better 12 month period than Matthew McConaughey in 2013/2014 when Interstellar, Wolf of Wall Street, Dallas Buyers and True Detective were all released. Talk about a purple patch!

Anyway, this is the greatest performance of all time and there's no debate:

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Nicolas Cage in:

Conair
Face/Off
The Rock
Raising Arizona
Adaptation
Leaving Las Vegas
The Wickerman

wr8_utd

:'(
Acting that left me speechless? 80% of the Miami Police Department in Dexter.

Withnail

Elisabeth Moss is excellent in 'Listen up Phillip' but there's a scene near the end which absolutely blew me away.

It's a close up of her face but what she's able to convey is astonishing.

Deery

Dreary
Al Pacino in The scent of a woman, is really good.

Plays a blind man brilliantly and gives a rousing speech at the end.

Green_Red

Got pulled over by the cops once, had a spliff in the car. Long story short it was my mates, he was driving. He acted as if it wasn't to the cops so they pinned it on me. Got a fine and slap on the wrists. Left me completely speechless.

Charlie Foley

Robert Shaw, retelling a fictional account of an actual horrifying event in WWII:

Amazing piece of acting involving a terrifying fictional account of a real shark attack.

the movie also has an amazing piece of non-acting involving a fake shark attack when the actress playing the first Jaws victim almost actually drowned on set

Balljy

Naomi Watts in Mulholland Drive is a stand-out for me. The layers of her acting and changes of emotion within scenes is incredible all the way through. There's one scene (which I can't find online apart from a video of her filming it) which around 3 minutes of her observing silently but letting her expressions show her feelings.

Wittmann45

I know it has become a meme, but Bruno Ganz in Downfall as Hitler

Casey Affleck as Robert Ford in the Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford. I loved everything about that movie; the music, the cinematography, the voice over narration, the dialogue, the slow/long/boring story. But Affleck's performance was great and Ford's acting was a really complicated portrayal

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

"God is a sadist!" :lol: Entertaining scene.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Daniel Day-Lewis in 'My left foot' (though he rarely does a performance less than 8/10).

Heath Ledger in 'The Dark Knight'. The way his tongue flicks in and out, the laugh, the head out the car window (like a dog).... the 20 ish minutes from being in a police station interview room to the escape (the mobile inside another prisoners stomach, telling Batman the wrong address, etc).. brilliant film.

Geoffrey Rush in 'Shine'. FanTASTIC! The entire film, sad and wonderful.

Christopher Waltz in 'Inglorious Basterds'. The scene in the guys little wooden house... the pipe, the use of two languages, the complete disregard for some people's lives. Awful but the acting?!!!
Read that Tarantino wasn’t going to make the film until he had found someone as perfect as Waltz.