Active players - Best impeccable penalty record right now?

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Is there any way to find out who has the most while still on 100%?

I'm asking because after Gündogan scored his penalty yesterday against Fulham, I wondered if he had ever missed one as I only ever remember him scoring. I googled but only found this list from transfermarkt (https://www.transfermarkt.com/ilkay-gundogan/elfmetertore/spieler/53622) which puts him at 9/9 however they only include in-game penalties and not those from shootouts. I remember at least 3 penalty shootouts with Dortmund and 2 with City where he also scored which would put him at 14/14 (although the Transfermarkt list includes 3 penalties from his u19 games, so 11/11 would be more accurate).

Is there any current player with a better record? I remember a couple of years Balotelli getting to 30 I think before he finally missed one but apart from him a can't think of a current player with an impeccable record well above 10. Any sources?

Paul_Scholes18

Kane must be pretty good. I can't remember a miss from him. Might have got one ages ago though.

Raw

Yaya Toure scored 15 and missed 0.

Although he hasn't got a 100% penalty record, Le Tissier scored 48/49 which is just extraordinary (though obviously not currently playing).

Paul_Scholes18

Missed for England and Vs Liverpool couple seasons ago.
Looked up his stats. 7 misses. Last one was against Liverpool in that crazy 2-2 game 2 years ago.
So he has been very good since then.
Checked Aguero and Vardy too and they got slightly worse record than him.
Although don't think it counted lower league pens for Vardy.

Seem to be just PL, CL, National team and the domestic cups that counted.

Classical Mechanic

Although he hasn't got a 100% penalty record, Le Tissier scored 48/49 which is just extraordinary (though obviously not currently playing).
Think Le Tissiers was the second best of all time. There was someone that missed 0 whilst taking a lot.

Paul_Scholes18

Herrera never missed one for us I think. He hasn't taken that many though.
Weird he never got to take more than he got.

Raw

Herrera never missed one for us I think. He hasn't taken that many though.
Weird he never got to take more than he got.
Only got to score 2! One was in a 3-1 win against Liverpool though so that's worth 10 in my eyes :p (the other against Midtjylland in a 5-1 win)

Paul_Scholes18

Only got to score 2! One was in a 3-1 win against Liverpool though so that's worth 10 in my eyes :p (the other against Midtjylland in a 5-1 win)
In a shootout though didn't he score then? Although I can only remember the one last season when Jones missed as our last guy to shoot I think.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
At some point, Müller was on 19/19, then he suddenly couldn't convert a pen to save his life.

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
That's a player for that players you had forgotten existed thread. How's he been this season?
He's on seven goals and 14 assists across all competitions (27 games). He's definitely an important player, at least once again since Kovac is gone.

Transfermarkt has him on 27 pens scored btw (club and country, no friendlies). He only started taking them again last season, after a break of two years or so.

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Lewa is currently the best penalty taker and probably the best penalty taker in this decade too.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
He's on seven goals and 14 assists across all competitions (27 games). He's definitely an important player, at least once again since Kovac is gone.

Transfermarkt has him on 27 pens scored btw (club and country, no friendlies). He only started taking them again last season, after a break of two years or so.
Nice glad he's getting back to a good level again, always enjoyed watching him, such a smart player.

Enigma_87

You know who
He scored 49 out of 54; out of that: 25 in the Bundesliga (missed 3), 10 in the CL (missed 0).
Yeah I know. Think it's way more impressive than 100%, though. Some might have 100% record taking one once in a while but Lewa and Le Tissier, despite missing a few is much, much more impressive than flawless record.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
What was Shearers record? Or Irwin?

GhastlyHun

Supports
Bayern München
Yeah I know. Think it's way more impressive than 100%, though. Some might have 100% record taking one once in a while but Lewa and Le Tissier, despite missing a few is much, much more impressive than flawless record.
I just added the numbers for information, not because I disagree with you naming him.

RedCurry

I don't know where to find the stats but Lewa, Hazard and Balotelli are the best penalty takers I've seen that are still playing. All three have a similar technique of consistently sending keeper the wrong way.

gr3yham3

Anyone has idea of what is Bruno Fernandes' penalty record?

Ok found it: he missed one during his Udinese days in 2016. Since he moved to Sporting, he has been 16/17 from the spot. In his career, he is 20/22 from the spot. That's superb.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City

Yaya is a great shout, that's some great record especially as they were all in competitive games.

Three players in Europe with 10 or more according to this one - table half way down

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/footbal...pared-to-europe-s-best_sto4718660/story.shtml
A couple of these (like Hazard) have missed some since then as the article is from 2015. Interesting stats nevertheless.

It really is a bit annoying that no site seems to account for penalties taken in shootouts. Le Tissier or Lewandowski are obviously more impressive that someone scoring 7/7 but I was really curious of who still has a perfect record.

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
From active players - Jorginho, Milner

From retired players - Stoichkov seems to have 25 scored 0 missed.

Gabriel Jesus is on a run himself.

Steve Bruce

Irwin only took 9 and scored 7 (77.8%).

Shrearer took 67 and scored 56 (83.6%)

Lampard took 70 and scored 60 (85.7%)

Hazard has taken 55 and scored 48 (87.2%).
Cantona must be well up their. Didn't miss one for years, then missed 2 in a row (but I am relying on memory, so could be wrong)

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Think Graham Alexander is one of the best PK takers I've ever seen, scored something like 70 odd penalties in his career and only missed a few.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Cantona must be well up their. Didn't miss one for years, then missed 2 in a row (but I am relying on memory, so could be wrong)
I just had a look and could not find his career stats. He's 14 out of 16 in the Premier League which is great of course but that does not include cup or pre-Man United pens.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Balotelli is pretty good, think he's only missed one and scored over 20.

thepolice123

Bruno Hernandes and Jorginho. They have the similar technique where they do that little hop before making the shot. Jorginho's got one saved by Reina but nowadays he can even hit it with power which looks really unsavable.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
From memory both Balotelli and Berbatov* have missed only one pen each.

*regular taker for Fulham and Monaco and took a few for us, Leverkusen, and Spurs, the one miss is for us in the FA Cup vs Everton.