Actor Elliot Page (formerly Ellen Page) comes out as transgender

I concur with others given the amount of roles Page has had under the name Ellen, it will take a bit to adapt. But that's on us not on them and we'll do our best.
We got used to saying Andrew Cole after calling him Andy for so many years - I’m sure we can get used to Eliot pretty quickly.

inception was great, umbrella academy good, other than that I don’t think anything stands out for me.

good for them.

Jericholyte2

It's silly to think this wouldn't be news. Whether people want to believe it or not, it is not an everyday thing to hear about and it's more interest. But I am glad it's news, not just so Elliot gets it out there but more importantly for people who are struggling themselves. It does inspire people to come out - which is why when the first active top level athlete/footballer comes out, it will be a huge story.

Yes there will be some dicks who are bad about it but it is usually overwhelmingly supportive. Not the same thing but I suffered from an eating disorder and it got horrible in my mid 20s to the point I was hospitalised - I refused to seek help as I was embarrassed, didn't think it was common for men to get it (let alone my age) etc. If I knew it was earlier then I could have got help sooner.

It's news but I think it's the right kind of thing. It hopefully opens the door for more people to be who they want to be
I can appreciate that reasoning, more examples mean more people going through this have another example to relate to.

Oh come on. This I'm-so-above-it-all stuff is silly.

Of course a big Hollywood star announcing to the world that he is trans is going to be news.
This I genuinely don’t get, it’s not “above-it-all” at all, I personally don’t care what others do, they’re free do and be whatever they want.

Because it's a rare event? Why wouldn't it be news?
Because, whilst it is rare to hear a active member come out like this, it really shouldn’t be.

Because he if didnt want to make it news he wouldn't share it with his 1,5 million followers on Twitter.
I see how this can be seen as a cynical move but if that message can stop someone who’s going through the same identity issues from hurting themselves or others then it was a positive move.

ravi2

Im looking forward to the day when such declarations arent major news because there is complete acceptance in society. Sadly I dont think this will happen in my lifetime. I do understand that people will want to make these declarations as they are working out who they are, I just hope one day that its seen as being simply a part of lifes path as unsurprising as getting your drivers licence.

Things are getting better. I recall when Ellen came out as gay it made the cover of Time magazine and now I dont think an announcement like that would capture the attention of the public as it did back then.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
I don’t think they meant it maliciously. I asked my wife the genuine question of, do I say “I loved him in Juno” or do I use ‘her’ as he was a female then.

I’m ignorant on the matter so I would like to be educated on this.
I think they were never a woman in the first place. So using he/they when referring to the time before he was known as Elliot is appropriate.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
We got used to saying Andrew Cole after calling him Andy for so many years - I’m sure we can get used to Eliot pretty quickly.

inception was great, umbrella academy good, other than that I don’t think anything stands out for me.

good for them.
Hard Candy was pretty good.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Perhaps you need to broaden your horizons.
I went to gay bar once with a bisexual female friend. Never again. In nightlife über macho guys tend to assume I'm gay because i'm slightly feminine, so I wondered how long it would take before I was outed as straight in a gay bar. Took 5 minutes.

Halftrack

This bit confuses me:

But stuff like this often confuses me!

It does seem as though they’ve got that bit wrong, no? If his preferred pronouns are he/they then their gender indentity is not as a woman, right?
Non-binary means they don't really identify with any gender, hence they/them. The he/him is likely because he prefers presenting as male (by name and way of dress). So essentially feeling most comfortable with being outwardly male, but at the same time not identifying as such inwardly.

Never come across it in my life tbh.
How? It's how you refer to individuals whom you don't know, or don't want to reveal the gender of. You've never done, or seen anyone do that?

nimic

something nice
Scout
I went to gay bar once with a bisexual female friend. Never again. In nightlife über macho guys tend to assume I'm gay because i'm slightly feminine, so I wondered how long it would take before I was outed as straight in a gay bar. Took 5 minutes.
Are you sure you weren't in a late 80s action comedy?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You were “outed as straight”. What a load of absolute bollocks.

Hammerfell

Yikes.

Gehrman

Where is John?
They're over there.

You've never heard anything like this?

It's common English pronoun use since at least the 12th Century.
No I honestly havn't and I'm half-british from my fathers side.

I've honestly only ever heard

"Where is John?"

"He is over there"

NinjaFletch

God, you rack up some horrific posts in threads like these.

Gehrman

God, you rack up some horrific posts in threads like these.
Well it would have been a better a experience if I didn't have to contend with guys trying explain me all night that any man would feel pleasure by having a penis shoved up their anus. I'll reserve the right to say that gay/queer bars arent for me. Any way, I don't want to make derail the thread, the pronouns just confuses me.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
No I honestly havn't and I'm half-british from my fathers side.

I've honestly only ever heard

"Where is John?"

"He is over there"
If you were discussing an unidentified individual and you didn’t know their gender how would you refer to them?

Hint: I just did it twice.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Well it would have been a better a experience if I didn't have to contend with guys trying explain me all night that any man would feel pleasure by having a penis shoved up their anus. I'll reserve the right to say that gay/queer bars arent for me.
Obviously none of this cool story actually happened but it does sound a lot like what most attractive females contend with in straight bars on an average night out so I guess the morale of your story is that it doesn’t matter what orientation, men are generally pretty awful when hopped up.

nimic

something nice
Scout
@Shamana I was bored, so here's a quick few examples of you using the singular they. It's not an accusation that you're lying, just that it comes more naturally to you than you think.

At Dortmund everytime a player starting becoming great they would get poached by another Club.
Personally I feel if someone has sworned allegiance to islamic state and tried to join them I am fine with them being locked up in some remote Island the rest of their life.
Is there really any point in bringing up Saf's first 6 years? Any club could follow that logic and bet on their manager becoming Saf if they give them 6 years. Other big clubs sack and hire managers all the time and are succesfull. Saf was an anomaly, was here for 26 years and succesfull for 20 years. It's never happening again.

Gehrman

@Shamana I was bored, so here's a quick few examples of you using the singular they. It's not an accusation that you're lying, just that it comes more naturally to you than you think.
Good point you got me there. I concede.

Gehrman

Obviously none of this cool story actually happened but it does sound a lot like what most attractive females contend with in straight bars on an average night out so I guess the morale of your story is that it doesn’t matter what orientation, men are generally pretty awful when hopped up.
This actually happened. I'm sorry I didn't film my evening out to provide evidence.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Good for him. Wish him the best.

Last edited:

Smores

To be fair, the usage can be misleading and there are situations you'd use a gendered pronoun in English to give an indication on the number of people.

You'd just use their name if you wanted to provide clarity though.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Well it would have been a better a experience if I didn't have to contend with guys trying explain me all night that any man would feel pleasure by having a penis shoved up their anus. I'll reserve the right to say that gay/queer bars arent for me. Any way, I don't want to make derail the thread, the pronouns just confuses me.
Won't you just stop for 5 minutes.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Forgive me if I'm being both a) dumb or b) insensitive... But does being transgender mean you have to have some sort of medical change? Or can you identify as the opposite sex if that's what you feel you are?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
But aren't those examples clearly different than this one? Here I'd definitely say "he's over there".
Where is John?
They're over there.

You've never heard anything like this?

It's common English pronoun use since at least the 12th Century.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Easily straight to the top of my men you think are cute list.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
It's interesting that we still seem to be quite uncertain as to what certain terms mean and what the correct usage of certain words is.

I say interesting because in my mind transgender issues and discussions about pronouns have been part of the cultural milieu for a while now, to the point where (for example) comedians making jokes about pronouns has become hack material. Speaking for myself, it makes me realise how much more exposed I've been to criticism of that sort of thing than actual use of that sort of thing. For all that I've read people have hysterical and unpleasant arguments about transgender issues online, a lot of what should be basics if you actually know and interact with a transgender person have yet to permeate my mind properly.

I like the little message at the bottom of the page asking us to be courteous and telling us the correct pronouns too btw.