ACTUAL POLL thread - how do you feel about potential Qatari ownership?

How do you feel about Qatari ownership

• Total voters

Member 101269

I've still not seen any evidence that "Qatar" has offered to buy united.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
The poll above shows a clear chunk of people have no problem whatsoever, but they are not in the majority. That is a good thing at least.

It‘s like finding a wallet in the street. A lot of people will take the money, while others will bring it to the police station.

The Qatar situation is more nuanced, but you can say supporting a Qatar bid without any reservations is not right.
It’s more like seeing someone kick seven bells of shit out of someone in the street, noticing their wallet fall out of their pocket and picking it up.

Then, after they kick that person in the head, they see you. You hold the wallet out, they take it back. Then Give you all the cash contained while they say “You didn’t see anything”. Taking the cash, not calling the police, buying a kebab on the way home and when Boss man says “Extra Chicken?” You say yes, and eat the whole thing, and enjoy it because it cost you nothing.

Then walking past the ‘Appeal for information’ sign every day as you go to work.

If people can write it all off through some mental loophole… cool. But it is undeniably shit that we may all sit in a seat in a brand new stadium that was provided by the suffering and deaths of strangers.

Member 101269

what are you expecting to see?
i'm not sure what you mean. At the moment there is zero rationale to label Qatar purchasing united, it's very weird to label a poll at a nation level

Tarrou

i'm not sure what you mean. At the moment there is zero rationale to label Qatar purchasing united, it's very weird to label a poll at a nation level
there is plenty of rationale for it

but as we know they need to disguise that the bid is a state bid, so what evidence would you expect in those circumstances?

Member 101269

there is plenty of rationale for it

but as we know they need to disguise that the bid is a state bid, so what evidence would you expect in those circumstances?
like i said there is zero rationale

As we know? you're speculating.

Tarrou

like i said there is zero rationale

As we know? you're speculating.
the rationale is Qatar want to buy United but they already own PSG, so need to keep it quiet to get around that issue

the guy who is purchasing the club doesn't have enough known wealth so people think it's a front

yes, it's speculation.. we're speculating

Member 101269

You have numerous posts about Saudi’s buying Newcastle.

can you tell me what evidence you had for that, I will then try and find similar evidence for Qatar taking over.
You want to discuss Newcastle, this thread is about Manchester United bidders. Like i said, stay focused.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
You want to discuss Newcastle, this thread is about Manchester United bidders. Like i said, stay focused.
I am relating it to Manchester United mate. You have posted numerous times about the Saudi’s owning Newcastle. I didn’t know they did; so you have evidence.
If you show me that, I can help with finding evidence for the Qatar state bid. That’s directly linked to Manchester United!

Member 101269

the rationale is Qatar want to buy United but they already own PSG, so need to keep it quiet to get around that issue

the guy who is purchasing the club doesn't have enough known wealth so people think it's a front

yes, it's speculation.. we're speculating
Again, stating Qatar want to buy is speculation. It's not speculation Shiekh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani wants to buy

I am relating it to Manchester United mate. You have posted numerous times about the Saudi’s owning Newcastle. I didn’t know they did; so you have evidence.
If you show me that, I can help with finding evidence for the Qatar state bid. That’s directly linked to Manchester United!

i don't need to show you anything, you made the statement " Do you want that Qatar bid" there is zero evidence Qatar are bidding Shiekh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani is bidding

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Again, stating Qatar want to buy is speculation. It's not speculation Shiekh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani wants to buy

i don't need to show you anything, you made the statement " Do you want that Qatar bid" there is zero evidence Qatar are bidding Shiekh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani is bidding
Good arguments mate - you’ve really made your point well and people think you’re arguing from a good place.

Member 101269

Good arguments mate - you’ve really made your point well and people think you’re arguing from a good place.
It's not me arguing, i'm making a factual statement that Shiekh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani is bidding. I've merely asked for evidence, and you continue to deflect, you point isn't very tenable is it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lost bear

I feel it eliminates a large pool of buyers. Even someone like Ratcliffe, despite being a multi billonaire, still works within contraints of a budget with this kind of stuff. These oil states don't seem to care, as profit or financial balancing isn't their primary agenda. I'd be really suprised if Ratcliffe manages to beat Qatar to purchase the club.

Ideally we'd want ownership restricted to an incredibly wealthy fan or set of fans. That era has long gone. We seem to now be leaving an era of ownership for profit, to one where it's more a game of soft politics on an international scale.
Well I don’t want oil states either. As I said, I’d like a more democratic state to be involved but I don’t really think there are any now. It was political thing, really: I take your point generally though.

Threesus

Would much rather SJR wins with his bid. United need not be dragged into the power play in the gulf region.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It's not me arguing, i'm making a factual statement that Shiekh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani is bidding. I've merely asked for evidence, and you continue to deflect, you point isn't very tenable is it.
Genuinely thank you for your posts in the thread. You’ve made my point very well.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
How would United be dragged into the power play in the gulf region? Are there any examples of City/PSG/Newcastle/Bayern being dragged into gulf region power plays?
The only power play would be who can spend the most money IMO, it's a nonsense argument

Bert_

You know it's a load of bollocks so don't know why you are pretending otherwise. You really think this guy has £5 billion sitting in his bank account to buy the club outright?

Dan_F

Its quite interesting you say this, yet I assume you own some a piece of clothing that has been manufactured in the far east where human rights have been violated ?

Paying for a pair of trainers that cost £10 to make and buying them for x5 /x10 the price or more in some instances.

I guess your reply will follow the lines of "whataboutism"?
Yes, well why ask if youve been told before. Shock horror I own pairs of trainers, so I guess you have to ask yourself, does that invalidate any concern I have about human rights violations committed throughout the world? I also own a car but have concerns about the environment, is that allowed? Should I sell my car immediately and bike the 200 mile round trip I need to do for work tomorrow?

I cannot be concerned about everything wrong in the world and with every decision I make, it is next to impossible; if I did I’d probably end up having a mental breakdown or worse. I absolutely wish that companies like would enforce higher pay at the factories and also that governments of said countries could enforce rules that would prevent modern slavery. The UK government should do far more as well, but the less said on that the better.

But the main point is that right now, it is United that are up for sale. It’s not about Apple or Nike, it’s United. Whether you want to see it or not, it will feel different for a lot of people. Nike go out of business tomorrow and I’ll just buy a new pairs of trainers from someone else. United go out of business and I’ll likely stop watching football.

Last edited:

Bert_

Yes, well why ask if youve been told
Before. shock horror I own pairs of trainers, so I guess you have to ask yourself, does that invalidate any concern I have about human rights violations committed throughout the world? I also own a car but have concerns about the environment, is that allowed? Should I sell my car immediately and bike the 200 mile round trip I need to do for work tomorrow?

I cannot be concerned about everything wrong in the world and with every decision I make, it is next to impossible; if I did I’d probably end up having a mental breakdown or worse. I absolutely wish that companies like would enforce higher pay at the factories and also that governments of said countries could enforce rules that would prevent modern slavery. The UK government should do far more as well, but the less said on that the better.

But the main point is that right now, it is United that are up for sale. It’s not about Apple or Nike, it’s United. Whether you want to see it or not, it will feel different for a lot of people. Nike go out of business tomorrow and I’ll just buy a new pairs of trainers from someone else. United go out of business and I’ll likely stop watching football.
Personally, I invested in a loom and weave all my clothes myself. I just tie used carrier bags to my feet for shoes.

Only choice you have. Otherwise you're not aloud to call out anything you think is wrong because you're a hypocrite or something.

tomaldinho1

Personally, I invested in a loom and weave all my clothes myself. I just tie used carrier bags to my feet for shoes.

Only choice you have. Otherwise you're not aloud to call out anything you think is wrong because you're a hypocrite or something.
Is that loom made of wood? You are a monstrosity.

Have to laugh at that guy trying his hardest to disassociate Qatar from the Qatari bid for United.

Member 101269

Is that loom made of wood? You are a monstrosity.

Have to laugh at that guy trying his hardest to disassociate Qatar from the Qatari bid for United.
You know it's a load of bollocks so don't know why you are pretending otherwise. You really think this guy has £5 billion sitting in his bank account to buy the club outright?
Whereas i laugh at the logic of those labelling it a Qatar bid.

IEOS, from their annual reports, doesn't have £5B sitting in the bank.. The logic seems IEOS can raise capital therefore lets not label it a government/nation bid. Whereas the reverse isn't true of Qatar. The logic goes further in that the Shiekh Jassim bin Hamad Al Thani without evidence to support must be labelled a national/Qatar bid, whereas IEOS it doesn't.

@tomaldinho1 you have no idea what my hardest is. The tiniest bit of thought, the Qatar label falls apart.

Bondi77

Change the Poll regarding this topic but those options would probably apply to another topic which may surface soon.

mu4c_20le

Just let him win and move on.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Just let him win and move on.
There is ultimately nothing else you can do.

What is interesting is how many people have simply become propaganda machines for the bid. There was a poster the other day who called Qatar taking over “the most disgusting thing imaginable“‘ during the World Cup who the other day mentioned I shouldn’t call Qatari “murderers” because they don’t murder anyone.

It is genuinely baffling to me. If your only argument is “The bid has nothing to do with the Qatari state” when everyone knows it is, you’re basically admitting you know what is happening is wrong but you will go along with it anyway.

Just seen overnight there were people posting about how they’re looking forward to breaking FFP rules by cheating with sponsorship deals. I actually have more respect for those people. They don’t care about morals at all and don’t try to hide it. That’s an acceptable stance.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I was open to it before but after seeing how PSG and City have struggled in the CL the ive become against it

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
What is interesting is how many people have simply become propaganda machines for the bid.
And this is one of the big reasons for bidding, you suddenly gain millions upon millions of people willing to defend you regardless of what you do on social media across the globe.

Trouble is there are far more United fans globally than there are Geordies, City fans or PSG fans, again another reason why the sale of United to Qatar would be a much bigger deal than previous state funded purchases of football clubs.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
And this is one of the big reasons for bidding, you suddenly gain millions upon millions of people willing to defend you regardless of what you do on social media across the globe.

Trouble is there are far more United fans globally than there are Geordies, City fans or PSG fans, again another reason why the sale of United to Qatar would be a much bigger deal than previous state funded purchases of football clubs.
Yeah. It’s really interesting to see it happen in real time with so many people taking stances they used to be 100% opposed to.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Dont be naive, they never were.
I can’t be that cynical. I think they did used to be opposed to it. I don’t see why you wouldn’t to be fair.

However, once it could directly benefit them I do think they had to justify it somehow. That’s been the most insane bit for me. Some people have blocked me just for posting what they previously said about a topic. Calling me a WUM for pointing out how their views have changed.

I know that some people are willing to turn a blind eye for things they dislike for personal gain. I’ve never seen it happen so quickly.

R'hllor

I can’t be that cynical. I think they did used to be opposed to it. I don’t see why you wouldn’t to be fair.

However, once it could directly benefit them I do think they had to justify it somehow. That’s been the most insane bit for me. Some people have blocked me just for posting what they previously said about a topic. Calling me a WUM for pointing out how their views have changed.

I know that some people are willing to turn a blind eye for things they dislike for personal gain. I’ve never seen it happen so quickly.
Its easy to throw shit at others, acting all high on moral when there is no benefit for you or shit you support, hipocrisy is ingrained in DNA of every level on this forum, dunno why giving benefit of the doubt.

enghuei

Cheats at Tetris
I am a United supporter who is deeply concerned about the fact that Qatari bid may win and become the owners of the club. I deeply disapprove of their despicable policies against LGBT+ as well as foreign workers in the country. Their violation of basic human rights disgusts me.

Meanwhile, my property here in Manchester has appreciated tremendously in value due to the developments around it, with funding coming directly from another evil Middle Eastern regime.

I have 3 options:
1. I keep living in that property, and see its value climbing up, directly benefiting from the evil regime.
2. I sell the property and move elsewhere and keep the profit
3. I sell the property and donate the profits away to worthy causes

Guess which one I chose?