ACTUAL POLL thread - how do you feel about potential Qatari ownership?

How do you feel about Qatari ownership

• Total voters

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
It’s about time we had a poll to canvass opinions on RedCafe. I have made it as binary as possible.

Messed the other one up!

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Edit the title to match the poll title

dove

Missing "Fine but have some reservations" option.

Matty7

If it removes the Glazers, allows us to upgrade the stadium/training ground and clears the debt - then in football terms this is only a positive for the club.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Poll should be "who do you really want"
A) Qatar
B) Sir Jim

That would be interesting

Member 125398

We need a poll to decide what the poll options should be. Is there a working committee?

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
I will continue to support so I chose b) but I imagine I will also phase out caring quite as much, much as I stopped being an obsessive 12 year who’d put my own face on panini stickers. Our success would mean less to me if we were state owned. How much, remains to be seen.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
The middle one.

Not supporting the club just isn't likely. It's not like I'm not innately going to favour and be more interested in United after decades of doing so and I'm certainly not going to support a different team instead.

What's will change is the amount of football content I expose myself outside of the games themselves, because I don't enjoy the type of negativity that would then (correctly) surround the club under those owners. And maybe that in turn will mean I become more of a casual football fan.

Member 125398

In a way reminiscent of our potential new owners I just took ownership and will worry about you riff raft later.
Not happy, will continue supporting was the closest option to what I feel, although 'supporting' has consisted of watching streams and wanting us to win since the Glazer takeover.

Zoo

Voted for the last option. Would define it more as “unsure”

Pronewbie

Peep
Regardless of who owns the club, it's important to have some reservations of their purpose and how they plan to go about achieving success.

I'd personally prefer local ownership, even better if it's community led, but neo-liberalism eh.

Tiber

Some reservations, but bring it on. Would rather have a Spanish style fan owned model but that isn't happening.

Lentwood

Each to their own but I couldnt give a monkeys. I try and live a relatively ethical life, volunteer down at local foodbanks, help raise money, generally try to be pleasant and helpful to people. Im sure we all do what we can to try to lead good lives.

United is a hobby, something I get enjoyment from. Who owns the club is outside of my control. Then if we're going down this route of boycotting things that might be ethically dubious, should we give up meat, should we boycott big brands, should we stop driving cars, should we stop using fossil fuels altogether i.e for central heating etc....?

It reminds me of the TV show "The Good Place" which despite appearing to be a sort of light, throwaway comedy actually raises some good philosophical dilemmas on this sort of theme. If you have seen it, you will know what I mean.

Basically, if you want to give up everything in life you might enjoy based on some strict Kantian interpretation of morality and ethics you'll probably find you're not left with much!

justboy68

Voted for the last option. Would define it more as “unsure”
Yep same for me. Not really 'fine', but also didn't really fit with option b as I'm just happy Glazers are going. I'm not happy with the overall landscape of football overall and just resigned to it at this point really.

klsv

Will feel like giving it another go with a partner who cheated on you. Will never feel the same, will always have some issues, even if the good times mask them but you can't turn off the feelings just like that so you're stuck in that forever :)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
We don't need the money. To have all this baggage added to the club and no proper upside is saddening to me.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Or even the four potential candidates we know about:
  • Ratcliffe (and the banks)
  • Qatar
  • Saudi Arabia
  • American consortia
Yeah, i tried that month ago. Mods didn't gave me poll. I don't have influence like @Wumminator has :wenger: .
Every poll on caf has some neutral options to choose. Poll should be simple, without variations about same answer. It should have straight answers; pick your owner and that is it. No but and if or maybe.
That would really show what Caf think.

Just a thought.

Revan

Assumptionman
Relativity happy after 2 decades of austerity caused by the Glazer parasites. Realistically speaking, I do not think there were much better choices.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Either 1 or 4. At the moment the euphoria of the leeches leaving is just too big to not vote 1.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Yeah, i tried that month ago. Mods didn't gave me poll. I don't have influence like @Wumminator has :wenger: .
Every poll on caf has some neutral options to choose. Poll should be simple, without variations about same answer. It should have straight answers; pick your owner and that is it. No but and if or maybe.
That would really show what Caf think.

Just a thought.
Yeah, the options in this poll are not perfect but good a good approximation. Could try another one if more comes out.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
We don't need the money. To have all this baggage added to the club and no proper upside is saddening to me.
The baggage is an issue no doubt but come on there is clearly a potential upside. We could be looking at getting the best in class facilities, the best in class playing staff and management staff, regeneration for the surrounding area. These are all clearly massive plus points and partly why despite hating what they stand for I voted fine.

Cloud7

I will copy and paste my own thoughts from that other thread.

This has been quite a mental journey for me. As my posts in the initial thread where we were linked to Saudi Arabia (Pre Newcastle takeover) will attest to, for quite some time I was completely against any sort of state backed investment of that sort.

However, time has passed by since then, and a lot of things have happened in my life. For me personally, life is hard enough without having to take on more burdens than I already am required to. Football for me is a form of escapism, where I can tune in to the football and hopefully enjoy it, then come rant about it here after. While it might not be the most objectively moral standpoint to take up, and I recognize that, I am at the point where that is enough for me, regardless of who is the entity providing it.

What I will not do is find myself saying "You know the regime isn't that bad" or "The US and UK government did stuff as well"

Last edited:

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
The baggage is an issue no doubt but come on there is clearly a potential upside. We could be looking at getting the best in class facilities, the best in class playing staff and management staff, regeneration for the surrounding area. These are all clearly massive plus points and partly why despite hating what they stand for I voted fine.
You could also get that through non state backed investment. Through better financial management, no debt and spending our own money on that kind of thing.

This season has shown a club of our size only needs to operate half decently at the top level to be good on the pitch.

Drifter

American
I love where we are now, been in the wilderness but now finding our way back , good manager, promising young players. Why would I want to be like the other souless clubs with oil money.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Yeah, the options in this poll are not perfect but good a good approximation. Could try another one if more comes out.
Don't get me wrong. I guess everybody here has his wishes about a poll. I am for example really curious about ME vs Sir Jim.
If fans/posters must choose one (without middle answers), what result would we get?

At this moment, after we had thousand pages of debate, it would be perfect ending of this story. Sir Jim or ME? Dollars or petrodollars?:wenger::lol:

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Not happy but will continue to support the club.

For me it's worse than the Glazer's because of who they are but no doubt my fragile mind will ignore that once we start winning things and rebuilding the club. A bit like how I boycotted the World Cup only to watch every game once it got exciting.

The most disappointing thing is we don't need an oil state, we just need owners who won't bleed the club dry like the Glazers did. This just feels like a cheat code really, and winning might feel hollow now as a result.