Adama Traore

SAFMUTD

Obviously Robertson, beyond that your scraping the barrel. Digne? Some people will probably say Mendy. Shaw is absolutely in the top 5 left backs in the Premier League, I would have him second to Robertson.
Second? I mean Shaw cant even get into englands squad, while Chillwell and Danny Rose fills those spots but you think he’s the second best left back in the league?

flappyjay

That means Shaw isn't really good enough for PL winning side and certainly not ECL winning quality. United need to upgrade left back. If Traore were that good he'd destroy every left-back in the league We'd see it in his stats. His stats say 4 goals and 7 assists in 2073 minutes of PL football. Not a patch on Sancho. You can have Traore or Sancho. Not both.
Getting past a player is one thing, delivering end product is a whole other things. If he could cross or shoot those stats would be high but he has only recently gotten decent at it

flappyjay

Obviously Robertson, beyond that your scraping the barrel. Digne? Some people will probably say Mendy. Shaw is absolutely in the top 5 left backs in the Premier League, I would have him second to Robertson.
Absolutely no one would put Mendy in the top 5, I would struggle to put him in top the 10. Great cross and nothing else.

Cathy Ferguson

Cheap alternative to Sancho? I can't see us spend 80m or more on Sancho this summer after today's financial update. Will Wolves sell for 35-40m? I doubt it, and we shouldn't spend more.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Cheap alternative to Sancho? I can't see us spend 80m or more on Sancho this summer after today's financial update. Will Wolves sell for 35-40m? I doubt it, and we shouldn't spend more.
I would prefer Ismaila Sarr over Traore. Sarr looked great against us, and was obviously fantastic against Liverpool. A bit immature yet, but HUGE potential. Technically and physically he has everything he needs to become a very good player. Big, strong, fast with a lot of flair and ability.

rotherham_red

He's maybe a tad bit better than Dan James, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned. Frightening pace, but he hasn't really shown much beyond that, and considering his age, you'd expect there to be much more to him at this point.

ROFLUTION

He's maybe a tad bit better than Dan James, but that's about it as far as I'm concerned. Frightening pace, but he hasn't really shown much beyond that, and considering his age, you'd expect there to be much more to him at this point.
He's heaps better. Anyone can see it. I wonder if you've actually seen Traore the last half year where he has evolved greatly. He's not like the old Traore. Sadly a shoulder injury kept him a bit in and out of the team in the last games, but he was turning into quite a player like Valencia at Wigan. He just turned 24, so he has all the good years before him too.

The Original

Frightening pace, frightening Strength, and really good feet to go along with them. Quite the bundle of potential.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah it’s a poor showing.
I think next week I’ll write up a tutorial on how to watch footballers critically. You’re all very welcome, I just like to share my expertise and help others become a better level of football fans
:lol:

DWelbz19

Never strikes me as a match winner, I fail to see all the fuss.
Because he isn’t. This was supposedly the season where he burst into life and he has 1 goal and 1 assist contribution more than Daniel James — 2 years his junior in his first season of PL football.

The Original

Because he isn’t. This was supposedly the season where he burst into life and he has 1 goal and 1 assist contribution more than Daniel James — 2 years his junior in his first season of PL football.
Traore has played wingback a lot this season. Secondly playing for man utd is quite different from playing for Wolves

DWelbz19

Traore has played wingback a lot this season. Secondly playing for man utd is quite different from playing for Wolves
Wolves has scored 3 fewer goals than us this season. Transfermarkt has Adama Traore down as playing 28 games from right wing, 12 from right midfield, 2 at centre forward, and 1 on the left wing.

The Original

Wolves has scored 3 fewer goals than us this season. Transfermarkt has Adama Traore down as playing 28 games from right wing, 12 from right midfield, 2 at centre forward, and 1 on the left wing.
Well I would imagine their right wing statistic also includes the right wingback position otherwise that stat is not to be relied on as Traore has clearly played at wingback several times.

Interesting one about the goals scored. Still Utd look a much better attacking team so I'll wager the bulk of these goals might be coming from set plays and individual brilliance.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Jesus you people are so reactive of this comment. :lol:. Don't know what you remember but Traore got the better of Williams in the fa cup
He really didn't considering how much he should have.

On his day he's unstoppable, but his lack of end quality isn't enough to pay 70m+ for him. He's a fancy bench option IMO

romufc

Second? I mean Shaw cant even get into englands squad, while Chillwell and Danny Rose fills those spots but you think he’s the second best left back in the league?
If we go by that metric, AWB isnt all that as he doesnt get into the England squad?

fps

I reckon Traore would be a good, if limited, addition if United couldn't sign Sancho. He has really developed crazily recently.

That said, he would still have to develop his engine defensively and his tactical awareness and end product further. If we have technicians like Fernandez, do we trust Traore to play one and two touch with them?

The Original

I reckon Traore would be a good, if limited, addition if United couldn't sign Sancho. He has really developed crazily recently.

That said, he would still have to develop his engine defensively and his tactical awareness and end product further. If we have technicians like Fernandez, do we trust Traore to play one and two touch with them?
Traore is a la masia kid. You bet he can play a give and go

fps

Traore is a la masia kid. You bet he can play a give and go
He certainly can, although Barcelona let him go and I think his touch and passing is part of that. I wonder if he could be the one who played the second pass in the give and go, rather than being the one running on to it....

rotherham_red

Jesus you people are so reactive of this comment. :lol:. Don't know what you remember but Traore got the better of Williams in the fa cup
He really didn't. I'm actually struggling to think of one occasion where he put a ball in the box that game. He was a non-entity across both ties.

rotherham_red

He's heaps better. Anyone can see it. I wonder if you've actually seen Traore the last half year where he has evolved greatly. He's not like the old Traore. Sadly a shoulder injury kept him a bit in and out of the team in the last games, but he was turning into quite a player like Valencia at Wigan. He just turned 24, so he has all the good years before him too.
Hey, don't take my word for it, the stats pretty much bear it out. He has 5 more goal contributions across 6 extra appearances. And he's almost 2 years older, with much more top level experience.

I wouldn't say it's outrageous to think James could and arguably is, around the same level considering this is James' first time at the top level...

Brightonian

Well I would imagine their right wing statistic also includes the right wingback position otherwise that stat is not to be relied on as Traore has clearly played at wingback several times.

Interesting one about the goals scored. Still Utd look a much better attacking team so I'll wager the bulk of these goals might be coming from set plays and individual brilliance.
That doesn't really bear out, though. Yes, since January United have looked a much better team. But across the season as a whole, Wolves have probably been the more consistent, cohesive unit, especially as matched against the different expectations of the two clubs.

I like Traore a lot, but I think what we saw this season is his best, not a stepping stone towards his best. By 24, a player who has such rich resources in terms of strength, pace and technical ability, in a strong team with great players like Wolves, should be producing much more end result. In terms of how difficult he is to stop one-on-one, he is fantastic. But in terms of actually winning his team games, he flatters to deceive a little.

SAFMUTD

If we go by that metric, AWB isnt all that as he doesnt get into the England squad?
Fair as well, IMO TAA is levels above AWB. Defensively AWB is way better but offensively there no better right back than TAA. Walker is another case, but can make a casa about him being better than AWB at the moment as well.

Walters_19_MuFc

Picked up where he left off. God knows why he didn't start, as I feel he's Wolves' most dangerous player, which was displayed yesterday. No one can seem to deal with him. With his end product improving so much this season, you can't help but think big clubs be looking at him. Yesterday's assist took him to 8, which is joint third with Mahrez in the EPL.

RUCK4444

Picked up where he left off. God knows why he didn't start, as I feel he's Wolves' most dangerous player, which was displayed yesterday. No one can seem to deal with him. With his end product improving so much this season, you can't help but think big clubs be looking at him. Yesterday's assist took him to 8, which is joint third with Mahrez in the EPL.
His assist numbers are a lot better in fairness, he’s been labelled a kick and rush player by many (including myself) but I have been raising the old Ancelotti eyebrow over this lad recently. :smirk:

Walters_19_MuFc

His assist numbers are a lot better in fairness, he’s been labelled a kick and rush player by many (including myself) but I have been raising the old Ancelotti eyebrow over this lad recently. :smirk:
Haha, yeah he's come on leaps and bounds this season. I feel the eyebrow is justified. :lol:

mancan92

He's a ridiculous player a one of a kind. You want him in your team just because of the pure fear he puts into the hearts of every defender he is up against. His involvement in both goals yesterday are just showing how big of an improvement he has made this season.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
He looks unplayable whenever he comes on these days. Along with that insane pace, ability to driible and sheer strength on the ball, he seems to have improved his decision making as well.

It will be interesting to see how he ends the season.

croadyman

He looks unplayable whenever he comes on these days. Along with that insane pace, ability to driible and sheer strength on the ball, he seems to have improved his decision making as well.

It will be interesting to see how he ends the season.
Where do you think he will go when he eventually leaves Wolves

Womp

idiot
Wouldn't be against him as an alternative to Sancho if Dortmund refuse to budge on their valuation. Insane player

Yagami

Good post resistant
I wanted him from Middlesbrough and would still love him here. Never seen a player like him.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
I'd take him.

I don't do by the opinion on here as Mane was scoffed at when playing for Southampton.

jungledrums

You mustn’t have watched him much if you ever thought that about him. Even years ago, when he couldn’t score or assist to save his life, he still wasn’t a kick and rush player. He’s comfortably one of the best dribblers in the league - his close control is brilliant, as is his technique when on the ball. What has historically let him down is his output and passing - both have improved. Say what you will about the guy, but he is not, and never has been, simply a ‘kick and rush’ player.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
His pace and power make it nearly impossible to stop him when he gets going. I think he’s an interesting player. I’ve long been impressed by his pace. It was always a case of if he could add end product and consistency and now he’s starting to. Can he keep this level up next season? He’s slightly one dimensional but he’s effective. He’d cost a lot and be too much of gamble for us when hopefully sancho is waiting in the wings and we should have the pace angle covered with dan james. I think he’s the kind of signing Fergie would make but so is sancho. Sancho is a much better player.

Last edited:

RUCK4444

You mustn’t have watched him much if you ever thought that about him. Even years ago, when he couldn’t score or assist to save his life, he still wasn’t a kick and rush player. He’s comfortably one of the best dribblers in the league - his close control is brilliant, as is his technique when on the ball. What has historically let him down is his output and passing - both have improved. Say what you will about the guy, but he is not, and never has been, simply a ‘kick and rush’ player.
Kick and rush or pace merchant... ok probably more of the latter.

Literally his output / decision making have been dire until this season, it’s why he’s playing for Wolves and not Barca.

I still wouldn’t take him in case he reverts to type, also that muscle mass will catch up to him sooner rather than later but as mentioned I agree he’s looking a much better player currently.