Adnan Januzaj (18-19 and beyond)

meamth

I think the tiki taka LVG style ruined him.

We have a direct style player who is coached to play systematic boring football.

If Ole was there earlier this wouldn't happen.

Ekeke

Yes.
Transfermarkt recorded the same thing.
Januzaj​
21 + 7 appearances​
1 goal​
0 assist​

Januzaj: "Ah, Louis van Gaal. I really should not be defending myself against him, I think the statistics say it all. Every time I made the difference with an assist or a goal, I was always out of the team for the next match. It was the same with Memphis. He does not speak the truth if he says that he gave us plenty of opportunities, it's as simple as that."

Depay
45 appearances...
David Moyes biggest success and LVG's biggest failure.

While he was of course overhyped like most of our young players tend to be, in that first season under Moyes he showed he had the talent and potential to be a good player. Not just in the future but in that very first season where he made some crucial contributions while plenty of the senior players didnt look like they cared as much.

Every wide player we had with LVG struggled. Zaha and Nani were tried in striker roles before he gave up on them quickly, Depay looked like he couldnt shoot, Adnan didnt find end product and Mata was converted to a ball retaining CM and was never the same creative force after that.

Valencia started 29 league games with a return of 0 goals and 2 assists. Young faired slightly better with 2 goals and 5 assists on the left in 23 starts. Thats a similar end product to Daniel James this season with 3 goals and 6 assists in 25 starts.

Di Maria had started off great then by the end had clearly given up and fallen out with the manager. Our best performers were De Gea,Jones and Smalling at CB and Rooney through the middle, sometimes up front and sometimes in midfield. Ander also grabbed 6 goals and 4 assists from CM.

So yeah he failed to adapt to LVG's "philosophy" just like all the other wide players we had did with each and every one of them going on to play better in the future for another team, because most of them were still young players.

El Jefe

By far the most overhyped young player we've had. Youngsters typically start great before they level out a bit. Its how they respond to this that determines how good of a talent they really are. Sometimes young players fail at a big club like Januzaj did but they are quick to establish themselves once they make the step down and prove they had the talent all along it was just a question of timing.

If Januzaj hasn't done anything noteworthy since he left United, that's on him. I mean compare him to Memphis who's only a year older and his impact has been way more, he is someone who had immense talent but can blame a coach, Januzaj can't because he wasn't all that.

I mean look how good the likes of Cleverley, Welbeck and even Rashford were to start with. The only difference is Rashford had the ability and talent to get back to his true level after his honeymoon period while the other two didn't.

SAFMUTD

Yes.
Transfermarkt recorded the same thing.
Januzaj​
21 + 7 appearances​
1 goal​
0 assist​

Januzaj: "Ah, Louis van Gaal. I really should not be defending myself against him, I think the statistics say it all. Every time I made the difference with an assist or a goal, I was always out of the team for the next match. It was the same with Memphis. He does not speak the truth if he says that he gave us plenty of opportunities, it's as simple as that."

Depay
45 appearances...
Feck I didnt remember him being that shit at all clear example that we tend to romanticize homegrown players.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Incredibly talented player. Shame about his mentality.

I still love watching him play anyway.

That Dortmund loan will always confuse me. Before said move, he had started all of our games that season (4 I think) in an attacking quartet of him Depay, Mata and Rooney, ahead of Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger, and was doing alright. This was just before we got Martial at the end of the window. Then he decides to go to Dortmund who were not only a better team, but had a lot more competition for attacking spots, too, instead of building on his run in the 1st team here. I believe van Gaal tried to talk him out of the loan but he was having none of it. Just silly.
Good grief, no wonder we were shite back then.