Adnan Januzaj (18-19 and beyond)

El Jefe

By far the most overhyped young player we've had. Youngsters typically start great before they level out a bit. Its how they respond to this that determines how good of a talent they really are. Sometimes young players fail at a big club like Januzaj did but they are quick to establish themselves once they make the step down and prove they had the talent all along it was just a question of timing.

If Januzaj hasn't done anything noteworthy since he left United, that's on him. I mean compare him to Memphis who's only a year older and his impact has been way more, he is someone who had immense talent but can blame a coach, Januzaj can't because he wasn't all that.

I mean look how good the likes of Cleverley, Welbeck and even Rashford were to start with. The only difference is Rashford had the ability and talent to get back to his true level after his honeymoon period while the other two didn't.

SAFMUTD

Yes.
Transfermarkt recorded the same thing.
Januzaj​
21 + 7 appearances​
1 goal​
0 assist​

Januzaj: "Ah, Louis van Gaal. I really should not be defending myself against him, I think the statistics say it all. Every time I made the difference with an assist or a goal, I was always out of the team for the next match. It was the same with Memphis. He does not speak the truth if he says that he gave us plenty of opportunities, it's as simple as that."

Depay
45 appearances...
Feck I didnt remember him being that shit at all clear example that we tend to romanticize homegrown players.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Incredibly talented player. Shame about his mentality.

I still love watching him play anyway.

That Dortmund loan will always confuse me. Before said move, he had started all of our games that season (4 I think) in an attacking quartet of him Depay, Mata and Rooney, ahead of Schneiderlin and Schweinsteiger, and was doing alright. This was just before we got Martial at the end of the window. Then he decides to go to Dortmund who were not only a better team, but had a lot more competition for attacking spots, too, instead of building on his run in the 1st team here. I believe van Gaal tried to talk him out of the loan but he was having none of it. Just silly.
Good grief, no wonder we were shite back then.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He is the reason I tried not to expect too much from our young players so soon, even someone as talent as Greenwood.

I still remember we seriously compared him with young Ronaldo at that time, and thought he is destined for greatness, at best a new Ronaldo, at worst new Giggs. The hype was real and insane at that time.

He end up as an average player instead. How sad.

tomaldinho1

He is the one player I never understood the hype around, will be nice if he's fit to see him back at OT though. Sounds like he's done ok in Spain but letting him go was the right option.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He is the reason I tried not to expect too much from our young players so soon, even someone as talent as Greenwood.

I still remember we seriously compared him with young Ronaldo at that time, and thought he is destined for greatness, at best a new Ronaldo, at worst new Giggs. The hype was real and insane at that time.

He end up as an average player instead. How sad.
Football is full of crazy twists and turns, but so much of can be down to poor career choices or moves just not working out too. Those loans to Dortmund and Sunderland were just not very good choices, maybe a bit of hindsight on the latter, but the Dortmund one especially.

reddevilchennai

He is the one player I never understood the hype around, will be nice if he's fit to see him back at OT though. Sounds like he's done ok in Spain but letting him go was the right option.
He had so much talent then. Sometimes you need to work harder to push yourself further and not to settle for once making in to the 1st team. Ronaldo worked hard each day to be where he is now.

tomaldinho1

He had so much talent then. Sometimes you need to work harder to push yourself further and not to settle for once making in to the 1st team. Ronaldo worked hard each day to be where he is now.
I thought of him as technically very capable but just not dynamic enough for the PL. As you say, that part was in his control but he obviously didn't have the personal drive to do the off the field gym work - a shame as left footed RW's are worth their weight in gold!

Ramos

Still kinda boggles my mind he managed to participate in TWO world cups, despite having a mere 12 caps. Maybe he'll up his level again in 2022.

GueRed

'The next Ryan Giggs' as the Full-Time Devil muppets McKola Howson and their followers used to say

every year we hear this shite tbf

marktan

He doesn't start for Sociedad and comes off the bench every 1 in 2 games so unlikely he faces us.

For his age at United he was supremely talented, he still is talented but he should've ended up at a higher level than he is if he had more drive to improve.

meamth

But to be fair, he does have that flair when he broke trough with us.

He was supremely talented, but he weren't mentally made for being one of the best in the world..such a waste.