Adnan Januzaj | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

In Rainbows

I get your point but United was poor and if he would be on the levels you and others see him already Moyes had played him more often. He is a good young player but one of some at this age around the world.
Leave it there.
Moyes wouldn't have played him more often. He felt Januzaj was playing too much at his age and thus decided to rest him a lot. The quality of performances had nothing to do with it. I know this because Moyes rested Januzaj after being United's player of the month for January. How can Moyes rest him for under performing if he was player of the month in January?

anchan1989

Moyes wouldn't have played him more often. He felt Januzaj was playing too much at his age and thus decided to rest him a lot. The quality of performances had nothing to do with it. I know this because Moyes rested Januzaj after being United's player of the month for January. How can Moyes rest him for under performing if he was player of the month in January?
Was he voted that by the fans? Or it that a title you give him here? Either way; United overall was poor in january. So to be the best player(having the most "flashy" moments) doesnt mean much to me.
I stay true to my view: if he had been one of the best players steady wise he would have played more. He didnt. A fine player with some great games. Nothing worth the hype he is getting here and in the English press by some.

In Rainbows

Was he voted that by the fans? Or it that a title you give him here? Either way; United overall was poor in january. So to be the best player(having the most "flashy" moments) doesnt mean much to me.
I stay true to my view: if he had been one of the best players steady wise he would have played more. He didnt. A fine player with some great games. Nothing worth the hype he is getting here and in the English press by some.
Here on this forum, and by the fans online. So it was unanimous in both awards. You probably didn't watch him much in January if you're going to say that. And going by your logic, you are still wrong. If he was the best of a bad bunch, by your logic Moyes should have played him in February. Obviously because you're saying his playing time was tied to his performances and the same goes for every other player on United. Or is Adnan the only player on United that not only has to play better than his teammates, but also a level which you deem is worthy of consistent playing time?

anchan1989

Here on this forum, and by the fans online. So it was unanimous in both awards. You probably didn't watch him much in January if you're going to say that. And going by your logic, you are still wrong. If he was the best of a bad bunch, by your logic Moyes should have played him in February. Obviously because you're saying his playing time was tied to his performances and the same goes for every other player on United. Or is Adnan the only player on United that not only has to play better than his teammates, but also a level which you deem is worthy of consistent playing time?
Yeah, thats what I said. Would he have been soo good so often he would have played more. Look. I dont want to argue. He is a great talent and could become a special player but in his first real season he was just ok overall.
That my view and you have yours. Fair enough. I saw all the English hype and didnt get it. He doesnt deserve that now imo. The press had to find a good story in that mess for me. And hyping a PL player isnt bad either for them.
Look, he is 19. He has all the time in the world. Lets see what he will do. Then we can talk again.

In Rainbows

Yeah, thats what I said. Would he have been soo good so often he would have played more. .
You're not going to change your opinion of him no matter what. The only player his age that outperformed him was Sterling and Werner. Max Meyer has the chance to play consistently in his favored role because he doesn't have Mata, Kagawa, or Rooney in front of him and I don't see his performances as that different from Adnan. I'm not going to compare Berardi because he is pretty much a goal scorer and plays much differently from Sterling, Meyer, and Januzaj who affect the match in more ways than scoring.

All I'm going to say is that your logic is unfair on Adnan because you only apply that logic to him. For you, every other United player (including Ashley Young) deserved more playing time than Adnan despite being below average by your own admission.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Yeah, thats what I said. Would he have been soo good so often he would have played more. Look. I dont want to argue. He is a great talent and could become a special player but in his first real season he was just ok overall.
That my view and you have yours. Fair enough. I saw all the English hype and didnt get it. He doesnt deserve that now imo. The press had to find a good story in that mess for me. And hyping a PL player isnt bad either for them.
Look, he is 19. He has all the time in the world. Lets see what he will do. Then we can talk again.
Why would they hype a Belgian player? Doesn't seem logic to me at all.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
This is absurd. Others have put it more elequantly but I cant be arsed.

Brightonian

I don't know. There were definitely a few situations where spraying it wide to him was clearly the best option, and then went for a useless sideways/backwards pass. Mertens had a couple of chances to play him into great positions and took rubbish shots instead.
I agree wholeheartedly, it was really frustrating. Especially when at United, no matter how poor our midfield, there are always loads of players capable of pulling off a nice fast diagonal ball in their sleep. But I don't think they were actively ignoring him, they just didn't have any central midfielders with a good range of passing on the pitch. Dembele and Defour are both comfortable on the ball but aren't comfortable pulling off quick long passes. None of the Belgian midfielders are great in that regard, although Witsel is certainly better than those two at it.

Brightonian

This is getting ridiculous, mate. He put in brilliant attacking performances in 80% of his games for us. Yes, often he was our best attacker (particularly later in the season when Rooney's form dipped a bit), but the quality of his performances was obvious whether or not you compare it to our other players.

A badly struggling United team was able to give him a platform to produce some glittering attacking performances. Belgium weren't. There's something there for Belgium to worry about, but it's not Januzaj.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
....ok. Im German btw and I saw him in a United shirt also. He was fine overall for his season but nothing incredible. And you are harsh on Belgium. They had all the pressure, dark horse and so on. Thats not easy. They are young.
But in the end they made it and now they face a good USA team. They did the job. Great itself. Ask England. ;)
But ok, lets see how much he plays the rest of Belgiums way.
Sorry I took you for a Belgian. Belgium have tons of so-so players overrated to the extremes with the exception of Hazard and Courtois. Januzaj is going to be a star so they should be extremely thankful for that. And he was as good a kid playing throughout a shambles of a season as you would imagine. Try a little bit harder when you valuate players' ability because not seeing a tremendous potential in him equates to not understanding football at all.

anchan1989

Sorry I took you for a Belgian. Belgium have tons of so-so players overrated to the extremes with the exception of Hazard and Courtois. Januzaj is going to be a star so they should be extremely thankful for that. And he was as good a kid playing throughout a shambles of a season as you would imagine. Try a little bit harder when you valuate players' ability because not seeing a tremendous potential in him equates to not understanding football at all.
...Thanks?...
I see his talent and I opened Pandoras box here. He is a good player today but also hyped up for things he didnt do yet and simply because the English media wants as much PL stars as they can get.
Wasnt there an article about his payment and that for 2 months or so that he was 18 after his new contract he was higher paid then the 18 year old Ronaldo and Messi?
Thats what I meant @Sammyjunn
I leave it here finally; he is good today and could become world class. He isnt that and his current form isnt that special, neither in consistency or peaks.

Brightonian

I leave it here finally; he is good today and could become world class. He isnt that and his current form isnt that special, neither in consistency or peaks.
His form for United is unquestionably special. Whether he's actually played regularly enough to have been special consistently is doubtful, although the majority of his games for United have been excellent. But his 'peaks', as you call them, were certainly special.

JackXX

He had the look of a player who wasn't yet accepted into the team in the game last night. He was free on numerous occasions but was ignored by certain Belgian players. Poor game but he wasn't given much help. Januzaj needs to see lots of the ball to be effective.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
...Thanks?...
I see his talent and I opened Pandoras box here. He is a good player today but also hyped up for things he didnt do yet and simply because the English media wants as much PL stars as they can get.
Wasnt there an article about his payment and that for 2 months or so that he was 18 after his new contract he was higher paid then the 18 year old Ronaldo and Messi?
Thats what I meant @Sammyjunn
Who could be described as world-class in their first season at 18? Januzaj has been for the majority of us as big a revelation as Ronaldo was at his age here. That's not saying he will become as good or near to that but he's a world-class talent if it makes sense. And I'd wager most of us don't give a shit about English media when it comes to judging a player's potential or star status - perhaps the total opposite actually. You saw one game from him at WC where all the attacking players had similarly little influence and you say he's in a poor vein of form?

I_live_cement

Cat freak
Did you know that an 18 year old Heskey was on a better wage than Pele at his peak?

Fecking madness I know. Bloody English media hype...

Drainy

How on earth can you surmise this? From his 60 minutes in the most uninspiring match of the entire world cup?
Because he tailed off towards the end of the season- especially in his decision making.

That was 60 minutes where his level was similar to where its been for the last 2 months of the season. The kid needs a rest.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Because he tailed off towards the end of the season- especially in his decision making.

That was 60 minutes where his level was similar to where its been for the last 2 months of the season. The kid needs a rest.
If he was tailing off so badly, then how did he manage to get officially named player of the month for May?

People are far too negative in how they view players.

Drainy

If he was tailing off so badly, then how did he manage to get officially named player of the month for May?

People are far too negative in how they view players.
We only played 3 matches, and only won one. One good performance (against a team that was focused on the FA Cup final) in three meaningless games and getting voted as player of the month by the general public doesn't change my view that his decision making got worse as the season went on- in all probability due to mental fatigue during his first season.

Trizy

Can't blame the Belgium squad if some of them have different opinions on Adnan being at the WC.. But its not his fault he got the call up, he actually carried United's hope for most of our season, you can't do that unless you're good enough to be there.

Brightonian

We only played 3 matches, and only won one. One good performance (against a team that was focused on the FA Cup final) in three meaningless games and getting voted as player of the month by the general public doesn't change my view that his decision making got worse as the season went on- in all probability due to mental fatigue during his first season.
But his very best performance of the season was against Hull in our penultimate match of the season.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Januzaj has been very good for us and will get even better in the coming seasons, i see a certain German poster is calling Januzaj overrated after one game, i guess watching Mario Goetze play clouds peoples judgments to think everyone is overrated.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He only started 3 games since the end of January. Given that his World Cup call him wasn't expected at all it would have effectively meant going from 1st January to mid/late August having played where he's started just 3 games. It's only the surprise intervention of Belgium that has prevented this. If not he'd have started the new season having had no real game time for about 6 months aside from 3 sporadic starts and, I believe, one sub appearance.
No, he started 5. 1st of January to August only starting 3 games? So is it end of January or start of January? From the start of January he started 10 matches. From the end of January he also had 5 sub appearances not 1. I have no clue where you are getting these numbers from or just making them up but they are all wrong. We had 15 matches from the end of January and he played in 10 of them. You can argue he could have played a bit more but he looked visibly fatigued at times and needed some rest.

anchan1989

Januzaj has been very good for us and will get even better in the coming seasons, i see a certain German poster is calling Januzaj overrated after one game, i guess watching Mario Goetze play clouds peoples judgments to think everyone is overrated.
Yeah, cause having 100+ scorers in 150 Bundesliga, Pokal and CL games is bad before you turn 22. 7 trophies and a CL final also.
He and Neymar are the thing for now.
Come on. Cant we discuss young players in the PL, specially at United without comments like that.
Stop the stupid hating for a guy who delivers since he won the U17 euros as the leading player and 16 years old in Germany.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Yeah, cause having 100+ scorers in 150 Bundesliga, Pokal and CL games is bad before you turn 22. 7 trophies and a CL final also.
He and Neymar are the thing for now.
Come on. Cant we discuss young players in the PL, specially at United without comments like that.
Stop the stupid hating for a guy who delivers since he won the U17 euros as the leading player and 16 years old in Germany.
When did i hate on Goetze? I just haven't been impressed with him from the little i've seen from him in the UCL, and playing for Germany after hearing from German posters that Goetze will go down as the greatest German player ever. I watched him play against Ghana and eventhough he scored a scrappy goal he didn't impress me. The hyperbole from Germany regards Goetze is way over the top.

So you label Januzaj overrated playing for Belgium in a game where for the first 35 minutes of the game the ball is hardly played to him?

anchan1989

When did i hate on Goetze? I just haven't been impressed with him from the little i've seen from him in the UCL, and playing for Germany after hearing from German posters that Goetze will go down as the greatest German player ever. I watched him play against Ghana and eventhough he scored a scrappy goal he didn't impress me. The hyperbole from Germany regards Goetze is way over the top.

So you label Januzaj overrated playing for Belgium in a game where for the first 35 minutes of the game the ball is hardly played to him?
So you cleary rate a player on a few games and then you just assume that I do the same with Januzaj.
Oh man...
And Götze was great the first 2 games. No one cares how you score a WC goal. And it looks hardly scrappy. You use all parts you have.
I take my Götze and you can have your guy. Lets part here.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
So you cleary rate a player on a few games and then you just assume that I do the same with Januzaj.
Oh man...
And Götze was great the first 2 games. No one cares how you score a WC goal. And it looks hardly scrappy. You use all parts you have.
I take my Götze and you can have your guy. Lets part here.
You're just making assumptions about me now

Januzaj i've been watching since we signed him a couple of years ago when he played in our u-18 team. He made the breakthrough at the beginning of last season and has been very good for us and i believe he will improve further in the coming seasons.

Did i say it mattered how you score a goal? all i said was he scored a scrappy goal. If you think he was great in the two games then lets agree to disagree on that and move on.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Come on guys. I know that he is in your team and hyped up(for what by the way?) to be the next big United thing.
But he just was poor today and is overall not as good as he is made in the English press.
He could become all that he is promised but I dont see it yet.
:lol:

An opinion made after watching one match. Jesus.

surf

Januzaj's performance for Belgium is irrelevant to how good he is and will be for us. International and club football are like chalk and cheese.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Januzaj didn't even have the opportunity to shine on that game with Belgium. He was free countless times on that right side of the field in very good positions but Belgium just played down the left all the time. Januzaj is already a very good player and van Gaal will develop him into one of the best players like he did with countless other players that were under his care. Couldn't have picked a better manager to aid the development of our youngsters.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Who cares how he does for Belgium? He was brilliant for us more of then than not last season and that was at 18. He's going to become a special player.

jem

This new trend of videos showing goals scored in practice is pretty silly in my opinion. Yes the Ravel Morrison one was cool, because it was something you rarely see. But seeing players of this calibre scoring volleys in a practice (ie. with no pressure,) is not really that impressive. In fact, you'd expect them to bury these chances more often than not.

Kostur

海尔的老板
This new trend of videos showing goals scored in practice is pretty silly in my opinion. Yes the Ravel Morrison one was cool, because it was something you rarely see. But seeing players of this calibre scoring volleys in a practice (ie. with no pressure,) is not really that impressive. In fact, you'd expect them to bury these chances more often than not.
Nah, I suppose that it's just people who are hungry to see what their beloved team is doing on training and so on, rather than a show off. Those clubs' TVs are getting more popular thanks to being able to catch such moments in the training or some funny stuff players do off-pitch.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I would like to see him made first choice going into next season. We have fewer games to play so should be less worried about exhaustion. Rather than spending £30m signing a Sanchez or similar, we should be encouraging and cultivating our own youth players. Give him the #7 jersey and give him a chance - he hasn't disappointed so far when we have trusted him.

IF we are ditching Young, Nani, Hernandez and someone else (maybe Kagawa) then I can understand us buying someone, otherwise I would be concerned about it limiting the gametime of Januzaj, Welbeck, Hernandez etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.