5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Your argument isn't furthered by trying to knock Ronaldo down. The numbers can't be qualified in terms of 1-10 as there are too many variables involved. Lets say that if Adnan winds up as good as Aaron Ramsey is today, he can be considered a success.
Then let him feck off, do we need Ramsey level wingers at United? The ambition here is to be the best, so lets sell Januzaj and go buy Reus etc.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Then let him feck off, do we need Ramsey level wingers at United? The ambition here is to be the best, so lets sell Januzaj and go buy Reus etc.
Or alternatively, allow him to develop and improve without anointing him as some sort of special savior. He has to earn his success as a footballer, and I'm confident he will. The problem with hyping these kids is that it leads to ridiculous expectations, which puts unneeded pressure on the player and creates inevitable disappointment among fans if the hype isn't matched.

LR7

Today was a good reminder that players like Januzaj need to be brought along slowly rather than rubber stamped as potential permanent starting XI players at the expense of the likes of Rooney and others.
Really odd that you'd select a game where he was subbed on in an unfamiliar position because every other option we have there is injured to use as evidence that he shouldn't be starting games. He looked our most threatening player in his natural position last weekend against Swansea (as he did for the majority of last season). And even his his little 20-odd minute cameo today he looked more lively and managed more shots than Rooney and RvP combined all game.

Sammyjunn

Or alternatively, allow him to develop and improve without anointing him as some sort of special savior. He has to earn his success as a footballer, and I'm confident he will. The problem with hyping these kids is that it leads to ridiculous expectations, which puts unneeded pressure on the player and creates inevitable disappointment among fans if the hype isn't matched.
So instead lets have very low expectations and be satisfied with every little he does.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Really odd that you'd select a game where he was subbed on in an unfamiliar position because every other option we have there is injured to use as evidence that he shouldn't be starting games. He looked our most threatening player in his natural position last weekend against Swansea (as he did for the majority of last season). And even his his little 20-odd minute cameo today he looked more lively and managed more shots than Rooney and RvP combined all game.
Today has little to do with my opinion of him - which is quite high, but quite at the level of a deity.

LR7

Today has little to do with my opinion of him - which is quite high, but quite at the level of a deity.
You suggested that today was a reminder that he shouldn't be starting, when all it reminded us was that he's better when playing as an attacker which is hardly surprising.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
You suggested that today was a reminder that he shouldn't be starting, when all it reminded us was that he's better when playing as an attacker which is hardly surprising.
Well that it was. But my concerns of him being overhyped far pre-dated today.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Every top young talent gets hyped up big time. Happened with Rooney and is happening with Januzaj. I don't see what the issue is.

Also, we need to find a way to start him more frequently. His raw ability is miles ahead of some of our starters.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
It would be quite ambitionless if we would be satisfied with every little he does, soon we'll be getting our cocks out if he gives an assists.
Ambition has nothing to do with it. If he has the quality, he will prove it on the pitch and force his way into a permanent starting XI job, at which point his performances will match his hype.

LR7

Well that it was. But my concerns of him being overhyped far pre-dated today.
Weird that you'd draw conclusions from his performance today to make your point though when he's unlikely to be playing in CM again anytime soon. His performances on the wing are another issue entirely.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Every top young talent gets hyped up big time. Happened with Rooney and is happening with Januzaj. I don't see what the issue is.

Also, we need to find a way to start him more frequently. His raw ability is miles ahead of some of our starters.
Apples and Oranges. Rooney was a Premiership player at 16, bought for a ridiculous fee at 18, scored Champions league hattrick on his debut and was also a full England international. If there was hype, it was justified at the time as well as the career he's since had.

Sammyjunn

Ambition has nothing to do with it. If he has the quality, he will prove it on the pitch and force his way into a permanent starting XI job, at which point his performances will match his hype.
It would be ambitionless when we'd accept and be satisfied everytime a player does something little. It was nice having your point of view on him, I'll remember you for if he becomes Ronaldo 3.0

In Rainbows

What do you expect from an 18/19 year old to be considered special?

These aren't even all his great games (like at home vs Newcastle) or his games where he was better than the rest of his teammates (chelsea). If he's putting in those performances at 18, what do you think he'll be doing in a couple of years from now provided he stays healthy? He has bad games like all senior players do and he has games where he's quiet because he doesn't get many minutes to show what he can do.

It was seriously impressive what he did especially in a side that was awful in attack, with little movement and a below average midfield to back him up.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Weird that you'd draw conclusions from his performance today to make your point though when he's unlikely to be playing in CM again anytime soon. His performances on the wing are another issue entirely.
I haven't criticized him for being stuck in CM - that's nothing he can control. In fact my criticisms in this thread have nothing to do with Januzaj - who i rate highly. They're directed at his euphoric fanboy brigade who seem to lose the plot at anyone suggesting he won't wind up a certified world beater.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
What do you expect from an 18/19 year old to be considered special?

These aren't even all his great games (like at home vs Newcastle) or his games where he was better than the rest of his teammates (chelsea). If he's putting in those performances at 18, what do you think he'll be doing in a couple of years from now provided he stays healthy? He has bad games like all senior players do and he has games where he's quiet because he doesn't get many minutes to show what he can do.
Spoiler your YouTube clips.

amolbhatia50k

Apples and Oranges. Rooney was a Premiership player at 16, bought for a ridiculous fee at 18, scored Champions league hattrick on his debut and was also a full England international. If there was hype, it was justified at the time as well as the career he's since had.
Rooney was one of the best talents around then. Januzaj is one of the best at talents around now. He at times looked a level above our other players at the age of 18, and was one of our best pleads last season. He scored two brilliant goals to win us a game away from home on his league debut.

Not sure what Rooneys done since has to do with the hype at the time.

Also while noting the difference in how proven they are/were, you're forgetting to note the difference in hype. Januzaj's hype is nowhere near what Rooneys was. I'm not sure what bothers or surprises you about any of this.

LR7

I haven't criticized him for being stuck in CM - that's nothing he can control. In fact my criticisms in this thread have nothing to do with Januzaj - who i rate highly. They're directed at his euphoric fanboy brigade who seem to lose the plot at anyone suggesting he won't wind up a certified world beater.
And Mourinho says the impact Januzaj has made this season is more like that of an experienced player than a youngster out of the academy. 'He's a fantastic player,' said Mourinho. 'He's not 18, he's 25. He is so mature and so comfortable, very good. I just think he's a very good player with great conditions to have a long career at United. I'm not in his life day by day but it looks like he has everything.'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/fo...e-watch-says-Jose-Mourinho.html#ixzz3BLNihghb
High praise indeed. Every young player that gets spoken about in this way it's obviously dependent on them fulfilling the potential they've shown. Januzaj's potential is very high but he has to put the hard work in. I don't see the point in getting irked by people getting excited about him. Very few conclusions can be drawn from today because hes hardly likely to be a regular in CM. If anything, the impression I got was that he should probably be starting wide ahead of Young/Valencia.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Rooney was one of the best talents around then. Januzaj is one of the best at talents around now. He at times looked a level above our other players at the age of 18, and was one of our best pleads last season. He scored two brilliant goals to win us a game away from home on his league debut.

Also while nothing the difference in how proven they are/were, you're forgetting to note the difference in hype. Januzaj's hype is nowhere near what Rooneys was. I'm not sure what bothers or surprises you about any of this.
Rooney was an established player with a massive transfer fee - which justified his expectations. Big difference between that and an emerging youth player.

In Rainbows

Not sure what Rooneys done since has to do with the hype at the time.

Also while noting the difference in how proven they are/were, you're forgetting to note the difference in hype. Januzaj's hype is nowhere near what Rooneys was. I'm not sure what bothers or surprises you about any of this.
Rooney was also a bigger guy able to handle the older players much better than Adnan. Sterling is the same way despite not looking the part. He can bully defenders with his strength which Januzaj can't do.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
High praise indeed. Every young player that gets spoken about in this way it's obviously dependent on them fulfilling the potential they've shown. Januzaj's potential is very high but he has to put the hard work in. I don't see the point in getting irked by people getting excited about him. Very few conclusions can be drawn from today because hes hardly likely to be a regular in CM. If anything, the impression I got was that he should probably be starting wide ahead of Young/Valencia.
I more or less agree with what he is saying. He has a tremendous upside.

amolbhatia50k

Rooney was an established player with a massive transfer fee - which justified his expectations. Big difference between that and an emerging youth player.
He's not emerging. He was very good last season. He's a good footballer. Rooney was more established and hence more hyped. Like what Rooney has done since was irrelevant, I don't see what Rooney being purchased and Januzaj being coming through the ranks has to do with it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's not emerging. He was very good last season. He's a good footballer. Rooney was more established and hence more hyped. Like what Rooney has done since was irrelevant, I don't see what Rooney being purchased and Januzaj being coming through the ranks has to do with it.
He's still emerging in the sense that he hasn't fully made the transition from being a young player to one in a permanent starting XI role. The Rooney example is deeply flawed for the reasons I stated - Wayne was doing far more at an earlier age
which combined with his massive transfer fee for a teenager, created a degree of justified hype. That's entirely different than a kid playing in the reserves impressing after a first team call up.

In Rainbows

He's still emerging in the sense that he hasn't fully made the transition from being a young player to one in a permanent starting XI role. The Rooney example is deeply flawed for the reasons I stated - Wayne was doing far more at an earlier age
which combined with his massive transfer fee for a teenager, created a degree of justified hype. That's entirely different than a kid playing in the reserves impressing after a first team call up.
You can compare many kids (that turned out world class) at the same age to Rooney and Rooney comes out on top most times. And Adnan should have been a permanent starting player, but wasn't because everyone was afraid of burning him out. That's the reason why he didn't play much in the 2nd half of the season. Everyone thought we were relying on Januzaj too much. Young, Valencia, and Kagawa certainly weren't better than him last season.

MoneyMay

First Januzaj match comp of the season.

Increased the contrast, so that should stop it from getting taken down... hopefully.

Only 19 and he's already played as a CM, RWB, LW, RW, #10/SS, and a CF for us. (And not to forget that he had to play as a true winger in the second half of last season.)

FromTheBench

And the manager - who was without the likes of injured midfielders Michael Carrick, Marouane Fellaini and Ander Herrera - told reporters: "It is not usual that we have four injuries in midfield. Every club that has that, has a problem.

"That is why I played Januzaj in midfield, (and) because as a coach I want to win.

"I have said that we need creative passing and I thought Januzaj could provide that. That is the reason."

The Dutchman said: "Kagawa, I have tried to play him in that position in the United States (in pre-season) and he could not fulfil my wishes and my philosophy.

"We have spoken about that and he is more of a 10.

"Juan Mata was playing at 10 and I thought I had to change the other players, which is why I chose to bring on Januzaj.

"It is because of creation. Kagawa can also create, but I asked Adnan to play there because of the lack of midfielders.

"When he played in Belgium, he played in midfield so I asked if he could do it for us. I said to him 'you are on the bench as a midfielder' because I want him to focus.

"He played there and you could see it's not so many times that he's played there. But he did his utmost and I cannot demand more."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...ng-januzaj-as-holding-midfielder-9689750.html

MK Dons 4:0 Man Utd

FromTheBench

Pretty ordinary today until last 5 minutes.

Looked dis interested and almost afraid to be hacked.

Invisible and dropping deep as AM and not taking players on out wide.

Loublaze

ATLien

Looked *** interested and almost afraid to be hacked.

Ordinary you say? ORDINARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the worst i've seen the kid play. Nothing he did made sense or came off. The very definition of a rubbish performance.

In Rainbows

Looked *** interested and almost afraid to be hacked.

He was invisible because he was shifted to wingback and the midfield + defense weren't able to find our attackers that well. You could see him waiting for the ball on the sideline every time. It made no sense to take Powell off despite him having a bad game. The team needed more possession so Welbeck, Januzaj, and Wilson could see more of the ball.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He really dissapointed me tonight. Sure he was surrounded by dross, but he rarely even took a man on, his crossing was poor and just generally looked uninspiring.

Maybe I have come to expect more from him and shouldn't, but I thought he could turn the match for us. ]

In Rainbows

Ordinary you say? ORDINARY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the worst i've seen the kid play. Nothing he did made sense or came off. The very definition of a rubbish performance.
No it wasn't. The only thing that didn't come off were his crosses. A ball touch video of his will show you he was positive in trying to advance the ball forward and succeeded most of the time. The only bad thing is that he didn't see enough of the ball.

FromTheBench

He was invisible because he was shifted to wingback and the midfield + defense weren't able to find our attackers that well. You could see him waiting for the ball on the sideline every time. It made no sense to take Powell off despite him having a bad game. The team needed more possession so Welbeck, Januzaj, and Wilson could see more of the ball.
I think Powell wasn't fit to play more than that as it's his first game back. That's the only explanation i can find for that bizarre change.

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
Really uninspiring. Thought he might take the opportunity well playing in as the AM, but cant remember him offering anything there. Went out wide, and was pretty similar

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Few looked good today and Adnan wasnt an exception.

Hopefully this loss wont scar the kids. This was an almighty bollocking.

Red Phoenix Rising

He really needs to play in a system like Ronaldo did in his first couple of seasons before he really started to shine. Just stay up wide left or right and when we get the ball back look up and hit him. Get him isolated on goal or on the back four up the field and give him the ball and let him go toward goal. Ronaldo never did any defending.. Probably ever at United and every player had an easy outlet pass up to him from everywhere on the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.