Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Also excelled vs Norwich at Old Trafford, vs Hull at Old Trafford, vs Aston Vill at Villa Park, vs Fulham at Craven Cottage, vs Stoke at Old Trafford, vs Swansea at Old Trafford, vs Aston Villa at Old Trafford, vs Newcastle at St. James' Park. That's about 10 great performances in his first year of first team football. All this despite not playing much since the turn of the year.
Huh? Hull is one of them! Fulham? You mean when he joined the party "crosses to noone"? Come on, that's hardly "excelling". I mean put any youngster / decent footballer on the pitch and they will do something useful once or twice a match at least. But that's really not a high level there.

In Rainbows

Yep indeed I don't know much about United. Thank God I have ppl like you to teach me stuff about United and our youth teams.

Btw I was wrong about his appearances, I just checked and now I am actually really shocked because I genuinly don't remember him impressing much apart from those 2 games you mentioned. Of course I know he got minutes here and there in other games, but he actually got much more minutes than I thought / remember.
I'm sorry for attacking you, but some of the things you said regarding Januzaj were so wrong that your comments came of as a wum.

Also excelled vs Norwich at Old Trafford, vs Hull at Old Trafford, vs Aston Vill at Villa Park, vs Fulham at Craven Cottage, vs Stoke at Old Trafford, vs Swansea at Old Trafford, vs Aston Villa at Old Trafford, vs Newcastle at St. James' Park. That's about 10 great performances in his first year of first team football. All this despite not playing much since the turn of the year.
Also vs Southampton at Old Trafford, vs Newcastle at Old Trafford (which I believe is one of his best performances), and even in matches where his performance wasn't great, he was our best player. Like vs Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Nobody else was better and that's why everyone on this forum nominated him as motm. That's a great season for a 18 year old who only started in half of his matches. People forget as football is a what have you done for me lately business.

Huh? Hull is one of them! Fulham? You mean when he joined the party "crosses to noone"? Come on, that's hardly "excelling". I mean put any youngster / decent footballer on the pitch and they will do something useful once or twice a match at least. But that's really not a high level there.
The crossing record was at Old Trafford. The Fulham match he's talking about is the match at Craven Cottage where he had an assist.

united_99

I'm sorry for attacking you, but some of the things you said regarding Januzaj were so wrong that your comments came of as a wum.

Also vs Southampton at Old Trafford, vs Newcastle at Old Trafford (which I believe is one of his best performances), and even in matches where his performance wasn't great, he was our best player. Like vs Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Nobody else was better and that's why everyone on this forum nominated him as motm. That's a great season for a 18 year old who only started in half of his matches. People forget as football is a what have you done for me lately business.

The crossing record was at Old Trafford. The Fulham match he's talking about is the match at Craven Cottage where he had an assist.

Oh OK, don't remember him doing much other than being protected by Fellaini (if it even was that match).

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Jesús of Nazareth !

How about getting the facts right ?

Reread the post :

FromTheBench

He's being deadset underrated by a few on here now because he's been playing wingback and then CM this season in cameo appearances. And then playing with some sort of stitches in his mouth for a game or 2 as his agent confirmed.

Most saying he won't start over Rooney out wide in a 4-3-3 would be moaning in couple of games of Rooney playing there and him coming as a sub for him to start over Rooney.

united_99

Jesús of Nazareth !

How about getting the facts right ?

Reread the post :

Er.. no need to include the Hull game as I have already said he impressed against Hull. But thanks for the ratings against Fulham which show Valencia as MoM!

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Er.. no need to include the Hull game as I have already said he impressed against Hull. But thanks for the ratings against Fulham which show Valencia as MoM!
So what ? Valencia was quite excellent vs Fulham. Which of course you won't remember, since you so clearly don't recall a lot of United's performances from last season and admitted to only noticing Januzaj post Reither's stamp and its after effects at Craven Cottage.

In Rainbows

Valencia vs Fulham away was one of Valencia's rare performances that you could classify as great. Vidic was also great in that match.

united_99

So what ? Valencia was quite excellent vs Fulham. Which of course you won't remember, since you so clearly don't recall a lot of United's performances from last season and admitted to only noticing Januzaj post Reither's stamp and its after effects at Craven Cottage.
Oh just because I don't recall an assist by Januzaj or one great touch or whatever doesn't mean I don't recall our performances. As if you recalled all his assists immediately and didn't have to look up.

In Rainbows

Oh just because I don't recall an assist by Januzaj or one great touch or whatever doesn't mean he impressed. As if you recalled all his assists immediately and didn't have to look up.

That was a great performance from him. Should have won a couple of fouls in that match where he clearly beat Fulham defenders, unless you wanted him to score as well to deem it as great. Rooney was really great in that match too.

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Oh just because I don't recall an assist by Januzaj or one great touch or whatever doesn't mean he impressed.

As if you recalled all his assists immediately and didn't have to look up
1. What kind of logic is that please ? :confused: He was unanimously excellent. Don't need to have an Eidetic memory to to arrive at that conclusion.

2. Yes. One doesn't need to look them up. Matter of fact his best "assist" wasn't even an assist. That pass to Rooney vs Stoke that Begovic blocked and Robin subsequently scored from was the best of the lot. None of the stat sites will show his anticipation and weight on the pass. Or his dribbling ability vs Swansea at the halfway line. Or the movement to set himself up vs Newcastle. Or the mesmerising run vs Sevilla in August. Perks of watching matches these are !

united_99

OK guys, whatever.

Maybe I just have another opinion of a very top talent. Noone said Januzaj is crap, but I just don't call most of what he did last season that impressive that I have to remember it and write about his dribble against Swansea. I mean Ashley Young looked like Messi for 5 seconds only a few days ago when he actually took someone on.
What I call impressive and memorable is for example Sterling's composure and great finish in a high pressure game last season against City. As for dribbling, Sterling does it all the time so I find it a bit strange to write about Januzaj's "dribbling ability against Swansea".
It's a bit like ppl claiming Rooney was our best player last season. Well, yeah he scored and assisted as usual, and I don't remember exactly against who he dribbled, assisted or whatever, but what I remember is that the whole last season he didn't do anything impressive at all for a supposed world class player (apart from against Leverkusen when the whole team played well).
Now Januzaj is no Rooney and 10 years younger, but for me he just didn't have many "wow" moments last season for a supposed world class talent.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I do think Rooney was our best outfield player last season. But that's not saying much, he was only decent for what he is capable of.

But I agree on Adnan. If he had replicated Ashley youngs first 6 months with utd he would be heralded as even greater as he is now. In reality he has a lot to do.

In Rainbows

OK guys, whatever.

Maybe I just have another opinion of a very top talent. Noone said Januzaj is crap, but I just don't call most of what he did last season that impressive that I have to remember it and write about his dribble against Swansea. I mean Ashley Young looked like Messi for 5 seconds only a few days ago when he actually took someone on.
What I call impressive and memorable is for example Sterling's composure and great finish in a high pressure game last season against City. As for dribbling, Sterling does it all the time so I find it a bit strange to write about Januzaj's "dribbling ability against Swansea".
It's a bit like ppl claiming Rooney was our best player last season. Well, yeah he scored and assisted as usual, and I don't remember exactly against who he dribbled, assisted or whatever, but what I remember is that the whole last season he didn't do anything impressive at all for a supposed world class player (apart from against Leverkusen when the whole team played well).
Now Januzaj is no Rooney and 10 years younger, but for me he just didn't have many "wow" moments last season for a supposed world class talent.

Sterling is better. Januzaj did have his wow moments though. There is a difference between saying what you just said and "only impressed against Hull and Sunderland" or "he didn't play much after the contract." It showed that you really didn't pay attention.
I do think Rooney was our best outfield player last season. But that's not saying much, he was only decent for what he is capable of.

But I agree on Adnan. If he had replicated Ashley youngs first 6 months with utd he would be heralded as even greater as he is now. In reality he has a lot to do.
I wouldn't. Despite Young's end product, I wanted Januzaj to show the creativity and passing he showed for the youth team. Young didn't do that in 2011 despite the end product. The individual skill Januzaj showed last season is what makes me believe he has big potential. The gifs in the spoiler show passing that I would like to see Adnan replicate in the coming years.

Last edited:

Invictus

Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
OK guys, whatever.

I don't understand this line of thought to be fair. Seems highly reactionary on the basis of one season. Sterling is about a year and a quarter bit more experienced than Januzaj who was only in his debut season of top level football. It's September in Adnan's second season right ? Well at this stage last season (i.e. Sterling's sophomore season) he was dropped by Rodgers and a lot Liverpool supporters were at his throats, some even describing him as a wasted talent at such young an age.

Yet one season later - he's to a man the best teenager in the world ? I'd agree he has the edge but it's only for now. Adnan is still adapting while Sterling is into his fourth season. In 2012/ 2013 Sterling scored 2 and assisted just 2 in 19 league starts. Yet Sterling has more composure and finishing ability than Januzaj who scored 4 and assisted 3 in league 15 starts in 2013/ 2014 ?

People talk of Cristiano and it's all really good, but isn't there the benefit of hindsight ? He had scored a similar 4 and assisted 4 in 14 league starts in 2003/ 2004. There were loads of people who didn't rate him at all. A vast number even preferred Quarsema. The vast majority thought Robben and Reyes were better during the early years. You don't even have to look far.

Here's a sample comment from the Caf itself during his early years in rebuttal to Ronaldo's critics :

know that we know "one trick pony" has more than one trick.......
just wondering where all the Quaresma supporters have gone?
injured? boo hoo. cant find a game for barca ( blame that on quinton fortune in philadelphia last summer)? i forgot, injured. maybe by the next world cup quaresma will not be injured and might get a game for his club OR country.
unless people stop judging major competitions as a measuring stick.
not bad for 75 minutes, one goal, one assist, 19 yrs old.
Here's one leveled at someone who was a Ronaldo fan :

O.k.

He's the best in the world

Or could be.....

If he was.

But he is'nt....

Or is he likely to be!

Try being realistic...............................................and i'll empty the trash can
Others posting this :

Most overated 12mill I've yet seen.

As for rating that a good goal, yer havin a larf

In time he may come good, but whilst fullbacks watch the ball and not those quick feet he'll have to find some other trick to get past.

He's quick , has fast feet but cannot pass a ball accurately to save his life.

As to wether he's a team player is also arguable.

Conclusion...

could do much much better

Concern over his finishing ability :

I don't quite see it happening. He might be extremely fast and skilful, but he doesn't have that "thing" that good strikers, say, Ruud has. When Ruud gets the ball you know he's going to score. I don't see it with Ronaldo. Besides, United needs people who can provide scoring opportunities from the wings at the moment. Having said that, it'd be brilliant if Ronaldo can play both up front and as a winger. Gives the team unpredictability.
One talks about how Adnan played well only vs the smaller teams. And Ronaldo himself wasn't very impressive vs the bigger teams at the start. His best debut season performance was vs bloody Milwall. He was subsequently labelled a one trick pony, a diver like Adnan and a good time Charlie who didn't show up vs big teams (especially Europe where he didn't score a goal until his 3rd season). Keane and Neville even openly criticized his play. But the fact of the matter is Moyes didn't play Januzaj in a lot of bigger matches : Didn't play vs Bayern or City, just 15 mins vs Arsenal away and Liverpool at OT. Started just one match against a big 4 opponent vs Chelsea and Stamford Bridge and was simply our best player. The nutmeg of Ivanovic and another instance where he turned Chelsea's defense inside out to set Welbeck up for a goal (which he didn't score) were worthy of highlight reels.

Januzaj showed remarkable poise, great technique and dribbling ability, composure and most importantly the belief - he always showed up when more experienced players went into hiding.

Even someone like Van Persie who is more well placed to comment had this take on Adnan :

"He's a great player and I'm a great fan of his," Van Persie told. "I thought earlier in preseason that he has something special.

"Over the years I've seen so many young players and I can honestly say that of all the young players I've seen he is right up there in the top one or two."

"He's a special player," he said. "He will give Manchester United a great bunch of goals and great games."
He believes Januzaj is the second or even the first most talented player he's ever seen. This coming from someone who played with a young Robben, Sneijder, van der Vaart for Holland, played for Feyenoord when Ibrahimovic was at Ajax; and Cesc, Ramsey, Wilshere, Nasri at Arsenal.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Januzaj need's to get used to his frame first before he really excels IMO.

Sterling on the other hand has been 5 foot for years, his balance can work well for him. Eventually though Januzaj will become more like a Kaka I feel, he just needs to get used to when to dribble or pass, and when to drop a shoulder and run passed people. At times he chooses to run into blind alleys, or try a pass which was never on. I think by the time he is 22/23 he will be in full flight.

Devil may care

I love this line-up except that our Right side would be a little weak defensively....Januzaj doesn't drop back much, Herrera has been seen to have lapses in that department, Rafael loves to rush onward and forward more than defend and Jones is a Wild Card, can be good on some occasions/disastrous on others.

Unless we bring in Hummels for Jones in Jan along with Strootman for Blind as First Choices!! :drool::drool:

Of course Wilson and RvP can switch for Falcao, Rooney and Blackett will be Rojo's backup...
Well hopefully that 3 down the right would gel as a unit and we'd not have to worry too much about it, plus with that line-up I'd expect us to be on the front foot more often than not. :D

Our #9 options are equal to any team in the world for sure, and it will be interesting to see Rojo and Blackett competing for a starting spot.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He's very good technically (in all aspects), and has a good brain and vision.
But there's still just that 'something' missing to convince me he's certain to become top level, as some seem to think.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's very good technically (in all aspects), and has a good brain and vision.
But there's still just that 'something' missing to convince me he's certain to become top level, as some seem to think.
He lacks maturity and this will come with time. Some players mature in their footballing brain very quickly (Messi the best example currently playing). Adnan has all the technique in the world, he's going to get there (world class level or even) in all likelihood, we just have to be patient.

Devil may care

Run of consistent games is all it is IMO. There isn't many his age like him.
Agreed, we have gotten some shiny new toys this summer and I'm as excited as most about seeing them play for United, but it feels like it's led to some underrating Januzaj and how important it is that we give him the game time to continue progressing.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Based on LVG's history with young players, I just cant imagine that Januzaj wont benefit or get games

Nickosaur

If we change to a 433, he'd get a tonne of chances. He would be in my first XI if we changed to that system.

Can't see him getting as many opportunities in the 352 though.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
If we change to a 433, he'd get a tonne of chances. He would be in my first XI if we changed to that system.

Can't see him getting as many opportunities in the 352 though.
Personally would play him over Mata in the no.10 role if LvG sticks with 352 come hell or high water, I'm glad Kagawa was shipped out, one less cluttering up Januzaj's path to progression.

quackattack

If we lose Januzaj prepare for World War 3 from United fans.

Because shit will get ugly.
Bet he will be sold some time within the next 2 seasons. Will join another European gigant and develop like Pogba,eventually surpassing Messi/Ronaldo. We will all cry out loud and regret the fact that another one slipped through our fingers:)

Roboc7

The Mata signing was not a good move by the club, I still regard it as a panic buy and a desperate attempt by Moyes and Woodward to show they could sign a big name and it has meant less opportunities for Januzaj which is a shame because he has a lot of potential and is someone we need to play regularly. If we persist with this formation I don’t see Januzaj playing much and I wouldn’t expect him to stick around, he will have too many options and young players don’t have any patience anymore.

In Rainbows

Januzaj's agent already said that the new signings will not get in the way of his development.

quackattack

Januzaj's agent already said that the new signings will not get in the way of his development.

He will probably be snapped by BM or Barca. will fit into those teams, not like here where his talent is being spilled...

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Bet he will be sold some time within the next 2 seasons. Will join another European gigant and develop like Pogba,eventually surpassing Messi/Ronaldo. We will all cry out loud and regret the fact that another one slipped through our fingers:)
Think you are underplaying the situation. We'll let him leave on a free and then he'll join the other big clubs. His potential then he'll surprass Pele or Maradona. He'll also score a hattrick against us in three consecutive CL finals :)

In Rainbows

He will probably be snapped by BM or Barca. will fit into those teams, not like here where his talent is being spilled...
It's too early to say something like that. We don't know if he will fulfill his potential to be snapped up by Barca, and we don't know if he won't get the playing time. I wouldn't worry until the first half of the season is done.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Given he has had no pre-season, it's not a bad sign he has featured in every league game so far. I imagine he is the reason we decided to let Kagawa go for so cheap.

ZDwyr

Hopefully as the season goes on he starts to get more minutes. I would have liked to see a bit more of him so far but he has had that mouth infection.

gasmanc

Banned
Some great posts in there @Invictus really interesting reading, the lad hasn't had a great deal of chances recently and thus we can forget just what a standout talent the lad has. Well us humans forget anyway, I am sure your robot or at least cyborg, great memory.

Status
Not open for further replies.