Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Yeah. Crazy strong United team last season. Where did they finish?
And to Meyer; I assumed that the paper came out at the end of the 2013/14 season(if not Adnan place would be even crazier) and so Meyer, who was in his first full season, was nearly a full year in the top level. And I just saw your little ranking of their assists and goals.
Nice one. Meyer is much more then that. He builts up play on the 10.
He rocked the U17 euros with 16 in 2012
, was crazy good in the youth leagues in West Germany. Those are the best of the country,which is praised for its youth work and so on. Meyer is also younger then Adnan.
What a smug post.. This isn't a dick measuring competition bro.. If you want it to be one then I guess might as well play along :

1. Nice argument and totally expected TBF. It seems the United outsiders and ABUs are failing to differentiate between United's apparent "decline" last season and the tactics of a backward coach that inhibited the attacking prowess of his squad.

2. Again why does this matter in any way or form ? Some players make early debuts. Does it mean they're going to be better than those who're 6 months late ? Scholes was a first team player at 19 like Januzaj. Iniesta wasn't a full first team regular until 20. Does it mean midfielders who started playing regular top level football at 17 or 18 were better than them ?

3. And Januzaj is just a purely a finisher I gather ? He doesn't build up play and is never involved in the lead-up to goals.. Nice one indeed.

4. Januzaj chose not to play international football until he got the call up to Belgium's senior team so there is absolutely no comparison here. Also if you want to compare Januzaj's international success in the future to player XYZ then we have to consider that it's only Belgium... And a coach like Wilmots under whom one of the Top 3 young attackers in the game Hazard looked a shadow of himself and failed to register a single goal..

5. Again players have different progression rates and potential cannot be judged solely by their performances or clinical exploits in junior age groups. Januzaj is still quite raw and physically weak so others might be more efficient in their style of play. A lot of times last season he showed traits of being a misguided virtuoso, trying to do things by himself. With time these flaws will be ironed out and from purely a technical point of view you can't find even one fault in his game. We are talking about pure talent, not how other players did better in their clubs. Yes Meyer is a very good player and barely 6 months older than Januzaj but is that conclusive evidence ?

6. A bit of a distorted comparison but you look at Podolski and Ronaldo when they were Januzaj's age. One had scored 40 goals for Cologne by the time he was 20, the other only 15 and not even considered among the best players in the league.. One was the best young player in the World Cup. The other was sent off and ridiculed to no end. Which one had a better career ? A two time Ballon D'Or winner and 4 time runner up (who was a one trick pony, "overrated" by United fans and certain quarters of the English media, would never be as good as Figo, played for a team that got dominated by Chelsea during Mourinho's first tenure) or the one who was better and more efficient at a young age ?

Again we're talking about projections, not only how good they are right now but how they'll turn out to be in the future based on their skillset and ability to grow further. If you want to disagree by all means do so. But with the same measure there are loads of people who're of the opinion that he'll turn out to be a special player. You want to claim Meyer is a great talent, fine we might even agree with the assessment. But don't make ridiculous arguments that Januzaj has been overrated by United fans and English media and Gazetta or how he's only played for a team that finish 7th when he was the best U-20 player in the league last season alongwith Sterling and Shaw (another overrated United player)..

Reactions: KM

Rykker_4united

Supports
Keep Rodgers at Pool.
Are you really comparing a guy who won 8! trophies(3 international ones, a world cup!!), was one of the leading players on the way to a CL final(most Cl assists that season of ANYONE) and the MVP of the eventually German champion for the second part of the season with 18! in one of the best leagues on the planet with one who had 1! season where he got a bit of game time?
I understand anyone who goes crazy about Mario. You should look at his scorer numbers, which are better then Messis age 18 to 20 and so on.
Oh no. Im out here. Its getting stupid.
Trophies are the measurement of a good team, not an individual player

Walters_19_MuFc

Perhaps that's why he think Rooney can play midfield, because for him he has been playing that in a 433.

If you play the 433 with two back in midfield it's pretty darned similar to a 4231.

DM DM
AM
ST____ST
ST

DM DM
ST AM ST
ST​
Ye, I suppose it is pretty similar, except, in an orthodox 4-3-3, you don't really have an out and out attacking or defensive midfielder - similar to how Germany played in the WC with Khedira, Schweinsteiger and Kroos, who were always interchanging. You have a midfielder that probably does the most attacking, but not someone who will play in front of two defensive midfielders. That said, Van Gaal must just interpret it as, if you have 3 midfielders, whether they be a defensive or attacking, it's still classed as a 4-3-3.

For example:

DM DM
AM
RW - ST - LW

CM - CM - CM
RW - ST - LW

DM
AM - AM
RW - ST - LW

Would all probably interpreted as a 4-3-3 by Van Gaal as there's 3 midfielders and 3 forwards.

Cantona'sCollar

I am not talking about ceiling, but how good they are now, the players I named above are atm better imo, but I think Sterling and Januzaj will be the 2 best eventually.
Fair enough, perhaps I misunderstood slightly. I still think that the likes of Son, AOC & Iturbe are not as good as Januzaj at this very moment, but I understand if some people find them better right now.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Of those, only Sterling is still a teenager, like Januzaj. The rest are already 20, 21, 22.

Also, by Son do you mean Son Min Heung at Leverkusen? I reckon Januzaj is already better, and besides he's not a winger. He's an AM/support striker. 22, anyway.

So why start an argument in the first place if you basically agree? it's just nitpicking.
No you said he was in the top three young wingers, not with the top 3 most talented young wingers, thats quite a difference.

Brightonian

No you said he was in the top three young wingers, not with the top 3 most talented young wingers, thats quite a difference.
Ok... so you've still only named Sterling who's actually in the same age group as him. That's what I meant by 'young', not just any player under the age of 23.

surf

The original post a couple of pages back was asking about wingers under 21, so 20 or less. Januzaj is one of the top players in that group.

Ibi Dreams

He's going to be sat on the bench a lot this season. Mata's backup or an option from the bench when we switch formation.
Bit of a shame really but not being overplayed may do the youngster good.
You could be right, I hope not but it is hard to see him playing that much in the 3-5-2 we've been using. On the other hand, Van Gaal has quite possibly not even met him yet, let alone see him train or actually have him available to pick. Van Gaal's inclination and ability to play and develop young players suggests he will absolutely love Januzaj, and he will also have no trouble benching bigger name players if Januzaj's form is better. We also don't know how the 3-5-2 is going to pan out, if we're going to get new signings etc. At the moment I still think there's a good chance he'll play a lot this season

LR7

A tad concerned about where he will fit in to this team given the formation we now play. In an ideal world he is part of our first choice starting XI but I wouldn't know where to slot him into this team. Competing for the number ten role with Mata or Kagawa? Or one of the front two with RvP, Rooney and Welbeck? I don't really see him as a wing back. I think he would be fine getting forward but he would have to spend a lot of time defending too which could be risky (not that he shirks his defensive responsibility, just that there would be more of an onus on defending than he's used to).

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
He gets rotated and can play in any one of the front 3 positions in our current formation. At 19 that is a brilliant situation for him as I feel that last season although Moyes actually did a good job of protecting him from too many games there were still times when he looked a little jaded or slightly out of his depth. A season playing more of a supporting role will do him a world of good.

FromTheBench

I see him used as much as Depay was in the WC as a attacking sub or a change up option from the start to go more attacking, plus backup to Mata and also 4th/5th choice striker option.

He is good enough to force his way ahead of that as well, if he keeps progressing over the season.

To quote myself from the other thread.

Ofcourse he would get more game time if we played 4-3-3 but i am not worried about him even in this formation given his quality and flexibility and he's still pretty young.

An Irish Red

We're basically playing with a number ten, a number nine and then another player up top who has more of a free role.

Januzaj can play two of those roles really well so I'm not worried. He'll get plenty of gametime.

In Rainbows

Sucks that he's not learning from LVG at this very moment. Would love to see the improvement on the pitch already.

PvsNP

Can't wait to see him under LvG. Our new playing style will suit him just perfectly.

RedStarUnited

Sucks that he's not learning from LVG at this very moment. Would love to see the improvement on the pitch already.
Yeah, in hindsight i wish he didnt get chosen to go to the world cup. They barely used him out there too. He willl be about 2/3 weeks behing in development compared to the rest of the team when they come back.

shabadu84

Mint? Berry?
I think he's going to shine under LVG. He's stepped up and answered the call at each step so far and I think he will adjust to the new style. It's tailored to players using their intelligence and he's one of the smartest we have. Not sure he can do the wingback thing quite yet but I expect him to take on that challenge. From what he know about his dad, Adnan should do well under an authoritarian like LVG

The_Midfielder

Just watched this video.. this kid will be immense this year.. think he and Welbeck will rotate for the same position..

Irrational.

Where can he play in LVG's system?

I don't think he'll be much of a wingback. If anything I think he'll succeed playing alongside a striker (like Robben for the Dutch), or perhaps as the #10.

Brightonian

Where can he play in LVG's system?

I don't think he'll be much of a wingback. If anything I think he'll succeed playing alongside a striker (like Robben for the Dutch), or perhaps as the #10.
I've been wondering a similar thing, and someone quite convincingly pointed out that if you watch what Welbeck's been doing on the tour so far, it's not at all far from the sort of positions and contribution we'd expect from Januzaj. So I expect he could probably slot in quite nicely as the more free-ranging of the two forwards.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
Yeah, in hindsight i wish he didnt get chosen to go to the world cup. They barely used him out there too. He willl be about 2/3 weeks behing in development compared to the rest of the team when they come back.
I don't understand why he needed as much time off after the WC as those who played every game. Is it just because the players are entitled to a holiday? Surely he couldn't have been that physically drained, just from training and the little game time he did get. I wonder if he could he have cut his holiday time short by choice, like Shaw did?

ThanksBoss26

I've been wondering a similar thing, and someone quite convincingly pointed out that if you watch what Welbeck's been doing on the tour so far, it's not at all far from the sort of positions and contribution we'd expect from Januzaj. So I expect he could probably slot in quite nicely as the more free-ranging of the two forwards.
Absolutely. I highly doubt we'll see him as a wing back but a number of people have said he'll end up playing centrally anyway in the long-term so this could even accelerate that. I don't think he'd have any trouble playing in those attacking central roles and though he won't start the season in the side, I'm sure he'll see plenty of game time.

ThanksBoss26

I don't understand why he needed as much time off after the WC as those who played every game. Is it just because the players are entitled to a holiday? Surely he couldn't have been that physically drained, just from training and the little game time he did get. I wonder if he could he have cut his holiday time short by choice, like Shaw did?
19 year old kid off the back of his first season in the United first team, then the World Cup, I personally think it's best he took the holiday.

What Shaw did was admirable to come back early, but firstly Belgium went further than England so were out there longer and secondly United's season involved quite a few more games than Southampton's did. That's before we even talk about the intensity of those games.

He needed a break. It'll do him good in the long run.

Glanville95

He'll get plenty of games, I'm not even remotely worried about that.

The early indications are that van Gaal wants a very balanced, streamlined squad with two players for each position. We will probably play with the 3-5-2 ninety percent of the time, so it's a question of having sufficient back-up for the forward positions. I think our wingers' futures are more in jeopardy than any other position and they will have to either convert to a new role or they're off.

de Gea (Lindegaard)
Jones (M.Keane) - Evans (Smalling) - New CB (Blackett)
Rafael (Valencia) - New CM (Fletcher) - Herrera (Carrick) - Shaw (Young)
Mata (Kagawa)
van Persie (Januzaj) - Rooney (Welbeck)
I think that is what we will ultimately be looking at next season, or something along those lines. It allows van Gaal to retain and play of our most talented players in Kagawa and Januzaj with regularity still, while culling the squad accordingly and having a strong, core squad. That system should actually allow Januzaj just as much game-time as any other with RVP and Rooney often picking up injuries and our option to revert to a 4-3-3 where Januzaj will be key.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.

The early indications are that van Gaal wants a very balanced, streamlined squad with two players for each position. We will probably play with the 3-5-2 ninety percent of the time, so it's a question of having sufficient back-up for the forward positions. I think our wingers' futures are more in jeopardy than any other position and they will have to either convert to a new role or they're off.

de Gea (Lindegaard)
Mata (Kagawa)
I think that is what we will ultimately be looking at next season, or something along those lines. It allows van Gaal to retain and play of our most talented players in Kagawa and Januzaj with regularity still, while culling the squad accordingly and having a strong, core squad. That system should actually allow Januzaj just as much game-time as any other with RVP and Rooney often picking up injuries and our option to revert to a 4-3-3 where Januzaj will be key.
Exactly what I was thinking. :D

LoiusVanGaal

de Gea (Lindegaard)
Mata (Kagawa)
the new CB will almost certainly be Vermaelen, we aren't signing a new CM so Fletcher will be first choice there with Cleverley as back up.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
LVG always liked talented young players. So I'm not worried at all about him. Once we go 4-3-3, he could also play the Robben position

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
What a smug post.. This isn't a dick measuring competition bro.. If you want it to be one then I guess might as well play along :

1. Nice argument and totally expected TBF. It seems the United outsiders and ABUs are failing to differentiate between United's apparent "decline" last season and the tactics of a backward coach that inhibited the attacking prowess of his squad.

2. Again why does this matter in any way or form ? Some players make early debuts. Does it mean they're going to be better than those who're 6 months late ? Scholes was a first team player at 19 like Januzaj. Iniesta wasn't a full first team regular until 20. Does it mean midfielders who started playing regular top level football at 17 or 18 were better than them ?

3. And Januzaj is just a purely a finisher I gather ? He doesn't build up play and is never involved in the lead-up to goals.. Nice one indeed.

4. Januzaj chose not to play international football until he got the call up to Belgium's senior team so there is absolutely no comparison here. Also if you want to compare Januzaj's international success in the future to player XYZ then we have to consider that it's only Belgium... And a coach like Wilmots under whom one of the Top 3 young attackers in the game Hazard looked a shadow of himself and failed to register a single goal..

5. Again players have different progression rates and potential cannot be judged solely by their performances or clinical exploits in junior age groups. Januzaj is still quite raw and physically weak so others might be more efficient in their style of play. A lot of times last season he showed traits of being a misguided virtuoso, trying to do things by himself. With time these flaws will be ironed out and from purely a technical point of view you can't find even one fault in his game. We are talking about pure talent, not how other players did better in their clubs. Yes Meyer is a very good player and barely 6 months older than Januzaj but is that conclusive evidence ?

6. A bit of a distorted comparison but you look at Podolski and Ronaldo when they were Januzaj's age. One had scored 40 goals for Cologne by the time he was 20, the other only 15 and not even considered among the best players in the league.. One was the best young player in the World Cup. The other was sent off and ridiculed to no end. Which one had a better career ? A two time Ballon D'Or winner and 4 time runner up (who was a one trick pony, "overrated" by United fans and certain quarters of the English media, would never be as good as Figo, played for a team that got dominated by Chelsea during Mourinho's first tenure) or the one who was better and more efficient at a young age ?

Again we're talking about projections, not only how good they are right now but how they'll turn out to be in the future based on their skillset and ability to grow further. If you want to disagree by all means do so. But with the same measure there are loads of people who're of the opinion that he'll turn out to be a special player. You want to claim Meyer is a great talent, fine we might even agree with the assessment. But don't make ridiculous arguments that Januzaj has been overrated by United fans and English media and Gazetta or how he's only played for a team that finish 7th when he was the best U-20 player in the league last season alongwith Sterling and Shaw (another overrated United player)..
Fantastic post mate. ;)

Midnight1811

Posting this here since more people will view it than if it was in the Fellaini thread.

Not sure if this has already been discussed/shown, but here are a few snippits of interviews conducted by the Belgium team during the WC. Some of the videos are with Fellaini-Januzaj, these have mostly captioned in English. I'll just post a link to the playlist though. Ignore video 1, just an introduction, in dutch unfortunately.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOM4ZlLO_49Bg5Jds-9kL5xYSrYrOACe4

Aww, look at them both, it's as if they're brothers. Which makes sence since they're both Muslim

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I'm not sure if there's any truth to this but it seems to be picking up pace on Twitter.

RuudTom83

#7 or #11

no pressure Adnan :devil:

but I can't see Adnan giving the number back which ever he gets

Status
Not open for further replies.