Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He was pretty gash for the 2nd half of last season, tbf. Got a lot of developing to do yet.
No he wasn't. Why do people keep posting this?

He was very good in many of our games towards the end last season. Our best player in fact. Stop rewriting shit just because he's not been in the best of forms.

Sir A1ex

He was very good in many of our games towards the end last season. Our best player in fact. Stop rewriting shit just because he's not been in the best of forms.
Re-writing shit? Go back and check threads from the time, people were mostly discussing how his form had dipped (albeit understandably in his first full season).
Up until the last couple of matches, which were basically dead rubbers under Giggs, he could hardly get in the team other than sub appearances - three starts after 19th January. Up until 1st January he scored 3 goals and assisted 3 - After that he scored 1 and assisted 1.

Best player indeed.:lol:

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!

when played on the left he usually was pretty good... on the right, he wasn't that good.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Re-writing shit? Go back and check threads from the time, people were mostly discussing how his form had dipped (albeit understandably in his first full season).
Up until the last couple of matches, which were basically dead rubbers under Giggs, he could hardly get in the team other than sub appearances - three starts after 19th January. Up until 1st January he scored 3 goals and assisted 3 - After that he scored 1 and assisted 1.

Best player indeed.:lol:
He didn't start because Moyes was resting him.

He was very good in many of the games even if the stats don't reflect it. But yeah dead rubbers lol

Sylar

As ive said a few times in this thread, play him on the left, where hes provided his best performances (assists /goals) for us.

He cuts in so much to get it onto his left foot it slows attacks. And his right foot aint that great, so he cant cross out wide. From the left hes more direct with his play.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout

He was very good in many of the games even if the stats don't reflect it. But yeah dead rubbers lol
In most games he had performances like the last game of the season against Shaw.

Sir A1ex

Even if he had been great in all those 6 sub appearances, and the 3 starts (which he wasn't, you're imagining that - he was good in patches), how on earth could that much football qualify him as our best player?:houllier:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
Even if he had been great in all those 6 sub appearances, and the 3 starts (which he wasn't, you're imagining that - he was good in patches), how on earth could that much football qualify him as our best player?:houllier:
That's not what I said at all.

Regardless he certainly wasn't gash:rolleyes:

m1y2

as somebody suggested not a long time ago, he hasnt made it yet and with the potential he has he still needs to work hard and cant afford long time to stagnate when haunting the bracket world class. I am sometimes sceptical about him reaching the top class but then I look around and say to myself: "Then who else could reach that if not Januzaj?"

m1y2

As ive said a few times in this thread, play him on the left, where hes provided his best performances (assists /goals) for us.

He cuts in so much to get it onto his left foot it slows attacks. And his right foot aint that great, so he cant cross out wide. From the left hes more direct with his play.
I think he is good on either side. He's just lacking the confidence he had and maybe little bit thinks that he already won it.

I would personally like to see him as a free roaming attacking player, playing off striker role which robben did for Netherlands. If his dribbling is not the best currently than give him some space to express himself as a playmaker, he has got a vision and good pass in him and can pass even when he is out of form..

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Needs to work harder. Currently there is no unpredicatability to his game.

Not worried though, he'll get it right.

RuudTom83

4 matches in a row is a lot to ask from him, and unfortunately in those 4 games he hasn't really shown the best of his ability.

The only excuse i'd make for him was that having Fellani and Valencia as the closest options didn't help him against Palace.

But Januzaj fans can't say LVG doesn't rate him, he's played in the two biggest games of the season so far.

Sir A1ex

FromTheBench

Poor today. No excuses.

He seems down on confidence and going through a bad form phase just hopefully. Tbf the Senior teammates need to help more in such a situation too as a 19 year old will have swings.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He needs to be brought along slowly so he can develop at his own pace rather than by rubber stamped into the starting XI as if he's an established player.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
That moment when you realise it's not worth trying to have a rational debate with somebody...
:rolleyes:

He wasn't our best player overall. I never said that. I said he was our best player in many of the games he did play. Hull and Newcastle immediately comes to mind.. He was very good against both. Pretty good against Villa as well iirc.

But yeah he was gash lol

Sir A1ex

But yeah he was gash lol
I actually (and unlike you I did this explicitly, rather than have to claim alternative interpretations of my own words later) said he was a bit gash. And he was.

Being great in two matches out of eight or so and underwhelming in the rest (while not even doing enough to get in the team for many others) qualifies as a bit gash for me.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
:rolleyes:

He wasn't our best player overall. I never said that. I said he was our best player in many of the games he did play. Hull and Newcastle immediately comes to mind.. He was very good against both. Pretty good against Villa as well iirc.

But yeah he was gash lol
Against Newcastle(the second game ?) he wasn't our best player Kagawa, Mata and Rooney were our best players.

Edit: not Rooney but Hernandez

Last edited:

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I actually (and unlike you I did this explicitly, rather than have to claim alternative interpretations of my own words later) said he was a bit gash. And he was.

Being great in two matches out of eight or so and underwhelming in the rest (while not even doing enough to get in the team for many others) qualifies as a bit gash for me.
He was hardly a bit gash in the rest but you have strange views.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Second season syndrome.

This might sound strange but this loss of form might just do him some good by bringing some realism to him as a person. He was getting too much praise at such a young age and very likely getting ahead of himself.

He is clearly talented.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Some of the you guys are OTT here. He's a young player who's low on confidence, off-form and playing out on position. He's hardly going to have a great game.

LVG needs to handle him differently though, stop starting him and bring him in slowly. Hopefully he gets some of his form back.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Him and Di Maria need to get inside more and switch sides a bit. Both of them are taking a leaf out of Valencia's book on the standing on the byline and neither are looking good.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thought 2 things today:

1. He was better than Di Maria
2. Both the wingers are playing too deep. They're playing where they can keep possession rather than where they can run in behind to receive a pass and create a bit of space for the forwards. Presumably that's part of the plan though and tbf it worked today. 70 odd % possession and hardly any chances conceded with what was a makeshift defence.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Second season syndrome is what I was about to say. Damn you Sults
He's also missing an overlapping right back, and Herrera as passing options. None of our midfielders are anywhere near and Valencia is too cautious when playing right back. This is my biggest issue with Fellaini in the side. Nothing personal but the system used and the type of game he plays has had an impact on Di Maria and Januzaj.

marlowe78

He simply needs to do better wherever he is playing but I don't understand why he isn't played on the left, where he is clearly at more of an advantage. He is much better playing there to begin with and today he would've had Shaw to support him with overlap instead of being stuck on the right where Valencia didn't make a single move forward. Di Maria clearly is not at his best on the left and should be moved centrally.

PvsNP

Was wank today. He tends to slow down our play more often than not and not always for the better. Also, he needs to work on his decision making. I still think a loan would benefit him greatly.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
If he'd have rammed the ball home instead of diving we'd have been better off a lot earlier. At this level that poor decision making can prove costly (Welbeck syndrome).

For me the Januzaj experiment of starting him in every game is not worth persisting with at current. We need points more than we need him to learn how to punish teams at this level (in the short term) given the resources we have available right now. This was further enhanced by Mata's output within 1 minute of the substitution.

Personally, I'd drop him completely for a month or even 2, like Rodgers did for Sterling during his development. It will allow him to refocus both physically and mentally. His progression won't be harmed by this, he'll still be training with elite level players and we can bring him back in and test the mentality of him to push on and strive for improvement in the business end of deciding games rather than have him sitting and knowing that it's almost on a plate for him when he wants it.

That said, I completely acknowledge that once he beat his man the first time it was good to see how he grew in confidence to try it again and this was by far the most promising aspect of his game today - almost a return to that bravado of daring to beat a man and while the final balls weren't quite there, the effort was. In recent games, he was more within his shell than ever before and this was at least, refreshing.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I think he has looked hesitant as far back as the Chelsea game. I'm suprised he's still starting. He looks more like a number 10 to me with every passing game with his decision making the only real short coming but that will hopefully come with time. He is not quick or fast enough to excel at wing(inverted would suit him better).

Rezyuz

Starting to develop a conspiracy theory in my mind that the aliens from moron mountain came and stole his talent to play a football match against the looney tunes.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I don't go to many games, but I was there yesterday. You could see he was terrified and the groans in the crowd every time he fecked up which was often...well it was uncomfortable viewing

Welsh Wonder

A dribbling mess on the sauce
We're wasting players out of position. Januzaj is clearly best on the left and Di Maria is a central midfielder.

Verminator

"If you are good enough, you are old enough."
Age can't be an excuse if he's not doing the biz. He should be loaned out, because he is clearly too good for u-21 level, but needs regular football.
I don't think we can afford to give him that, at the expense of our first team. It is harming us and him.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
"If you are good enough, you are old enough."
Age can't be an excuse if he's not doing the biz. He should be loaned out, because he is clearly too good for u-21 level, but needs regular football.
I don't think we can afford to give him that, at the expense of our first team. It is harming us and him.
Do we have a better option on that right wing should we stick with 4-2-3-1?

Verminator

Do we have to play a formation to give him games?
If we say that Di Maria can be switched there(and I don't see why he hasn't been), Mata, Nani, Young, Valencia, Lingard, Perreira Wilson. Of course injuries affect choices in a number of ways, and some of these options are not ideal, but atm Januzaj is costing us a shirt and giving little back.
Would you be against loaning him out?

Parma Dewol

If Adnan and Angel were on form yesterday, we'd have torn Palace to shreds. Adnan struggled to make anything happen, and more often than not, Angel either tried crossing from anywhere or lost the ball trying to take on too much.

Surprised they didn't swap flanks earlier as it wasn't happening for either one of them. Not sure why, as our wing play was decent earlier in this season. Is it a case of us trying to tighten the defence? Perhaps they need more overlap from Shaw/Rafael to open up the space.

That said, I hope Adnan gets more games. He's young and needs to play in order to develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.