5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Empire

"All you have to do is arguably be our best player for one season." That's really hard to do and I'm not sure why you're underselling that. The whole point of giving him the shirt was to continue his dominant form in that shirt. To be the next magnificent 7. It didn't work out. That's football.

I suppose I view the 11 shirt in the same vein as 18. Giggs is the slightly more decorated player, but it's his number. They're both prestigious numbers, but more because of how attached to the numbers they are. The 7 shirt to me is the star of the team.
You seem to miss the point, I did not say the 7 shirt is not more pressure than the 11 but it is not that much more pressure. You were suggesting the pressure of it is on another level however now you seem to be changing your opinion, it is not as you claim that much more pressure than the 11 shirt when you consider the man wearing it will be at every game.

Shark

@NotShark
He just pings the ball around the place with little effort and glides around the pitch. He's brilliant to watch.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I'm worried he won't get enough game time this season. For me he should be one of the first names on the team sheet...

Shark

@NotShark
I'm worried he won't get enough game time this season. For me he should be one of the first names on the team sheet...
He'll get time, LVG loves young talent. Januzaj is as talented as they come.

Lowkey

I would rather Januzaj get game time than us buying Di Maria in a season where we are not in Europe anyway. I know i'm crazy right! But i really believe Adnan can take his game to another level this season.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I think he still lacks the consistency (which is only natural for a young player) to be one of the first names of the sheet but I've no doubt he'll still get lots of game time.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's so positive compared to everyone else, always looking to pass or drive forward. Incredibly comfortable on the ball too.
Herrera is very similar, and both were arguably our top performers on the night. (Disregarding the back three minus Keane, they did great.)

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
How the feck are we going to fit Rooney, RVP, Mata, Januzaj and Di Maria on at the same time? :wenger:

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Lovely to see him play again, such an elegant player on the ball. Looking forward to seeing how LvG develops him, I'm sure he'll love the youngster!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Some said that he has Kaka's style, but I still maintain the notion that those grit and determination make him closer to Best's.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
How the feck are we going to fit Rooney, RVP, Mata, Januzaj and Di Maria on at the same time? :wenger:
I'm probably the only one to think that way but i would say that RVP will lose this battle.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Given his great vision and intelligence on the pitch I seriously doubt that we have to fear about his playing time. LVG will fine one way or another to squeeze him in.

SteveW

Looked sharp. Great ball into Rooney. His vision and weight of pass are wonderful for one so young.

SteveW

Given his great vision and intelligence on the pitch I seriously doubt that we have to fear about his playing time. LVG will fine one way or another to squeeze him in.
He'll be one of the front 3. I think he will prove way to good to leave out. His array of talents is almost too good to be true for his age. He's like your favourite jinky winger and scheming number 10 rolled into one. Once he starts scoring regularly he'll be frightening

Sampy93

Was in the megastore yesterday morning and saw januzaj's kit with 11 on it. There's a picture hovering on twitter I think. Great if true!

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
United's first new #11 in 20+ years. I don't remember when Giggs was given the number.

Walters_19_MuFc

So glad he's been given the number 11 shirt. Hopefully this will take him to another level, and if he goes onto have half the career Giggsy had, I'll be happy.

Congrats, Adnan.

Red Stone

Giving him #11 is like giving Ronaldo #7. Here's hoping he tackles the challenge like Ronnie did, and not like Tony.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Glad he got it, the natural successor to Giggs IMO. At first when he made his debut and his first few games I thought he was destined to be a #10 but he's looked like a winger more and more. He'll only be a squad player this season but next season I can see him really kick on and become first choice, or whenever we switch mainly to a 4-3-3.

Brightonian

Posted this in the 3-5-2 thread but it didn't get much of an answer and I'm genuinely interested to hear what people would think of it so I'm going to try here:

Ancelotti proved last season that there's nothing wrong with an asymmetrical formation if it lets you use every player in the position where they can do their best work for the team. Here you sacrifice a wing-back in order to get Januzaj on the pitch in his best position, as a winger/wide AM/inside forward (whatever you want to call that free role from a wide starting position). His defensive work-rate is decent, but really it's down to Fletcher and Jones to provide the energy and defensive nous to cover that vacated area.

This way, you can get Januzaj into the starting line-up (and Welbeck would also be a superb fit there). You add pace and unpredictability into the attack, and also strengthen the threat from the wide areas. You add in a type of player that has been central to Van Gaal's formations since Alkmaar - an unpredictable, pacy wide attacker. He used El Hamdaoui at AZ, and Robben at Bayern and for the Netherlands. Januzaj fits that role like a glove.

Yes, it's slightly more defensively open. But it's not as if Ashley Young, the current alternative, is exactly a defensive guarantee as a wingback. Jones is already stepping up into those areas regularly, and Fletcher is the sort of experienced midfielder who can more than cope with covering a little more of the field defensively. The 3-man back line allows for exactly this sort of adjustment, because if Jones has to step out, he still leaves an intact pair of CBs to cover the central areas.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Posted this in the 3-5-2 thread but it didn't get much of an answer and I'm genuinely interested to hear what people would think of it so I'm going to try here:

Ancelotti proved last season that there's nothing wrong with an asymmetrical formation if it lets you use every player in the position where they can do their best work for the team. Here you sacrifice a wing-back in order to get Januzaj on the pitch in his best position, as a winger/wide AM/inside forward (whatever you want to call that free role from a wide starting position). His defensive work-rate is decent, but really it's down to Fletcher and Jones to provide the energy and defensive nous to cover that vacated area.

This way, you can get Januzaj into the starting line-up (and Welbeck would also be a superb fit there). You add pace and unpredictability into the attack, and also strengthen the threat from the wide areas. You add in a type of player that has been central to Van Gaal's formations since Alkmaar - an unpredictable, pacy wide attacker. He used El Hamdaoui at AZ, and Robben at Bayern and for the Netherlands. Januzaj fits that role like a glove.

Yes, it's slightly more defensively open. But it's not as if Ashley Young, the current alternative, is exactly a defensive guarantee as a wingback. Jones is already stepping up into those areas regularly, and Fletcher is the sort of experienced midfielder who can more than cope with covering a little more of the field defensively. The 3-man back line allows for exactly this sort of adjustment, because if Jones has to step out, he still leaves an intact pair of CBs to cover the central areas.
Actually think its brilliant, if you work it well and Shaw gets fit, when the opponent attacks you could have 4 at the back with Jones and Shaws as the backs, and Evans,Smalling in centrum. It could work.

Walters_19_MuFc

If we sign Di Maria, Januzaj is the player who would probably be affected the most.
If we sign Di Maria, I feel we'll revert back to a 4231. I mean, where would Di Maria play in a 3-5-2? Van Gaal has alreayd identified him as one of the best wingers in the world, so I doubt he'd play him anywhere else.

De Gea
Rafael - Smalling - Evans - Shaw
Fletcher - Herrera
Janzuaj - Rooney/Mata - Di Maria
Van Persie/Welbeck

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
If we sign Di Maria, I feel we'll revert back to a 4231. I mean, where would Di Maria play in a 3-5-2? Van Gaal has alreayd identified him as one of the best wingers in the world, so I doubt he'd play him anywhere else.

De Gea
Rafael - Smalling - Evans - Shaw
Fletcher - Herrera
Janzuaj - Rooney/Mata - Di Maria
Van Persie/Welbeck
Would be the same problem, dont think LVG is looking forward to benching Mata or Rooney.

In Rainbows

If we sign Di Maria, Januzaj is the player who would probably be affected the most.
The only reason why we're not using 4-3-3 is because LVG feels we don't have great wingers. If Di Maria came, you could use both on the wing.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
The only reason why we're not using 4-3-3 is because LVG feels we don't have great wingers. If Di Maria came, you could use both on the wing.
He would soon realise that we have 2 great wingers if Di Maria came. Januzaj is potentially even better than Di Maria in my eyes.

In Rainbows

i would say Mata and Kagawa would be benched, unless LvG benches one of Rooney or RvP ( i cant see that)
I would rather one of Mata and Kagawa be the #10 over Rooney. Rooney is a brilliant striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.