Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
If Rooney and Falcao had been fit/allowed to play there's a strong possibility that he wouldn't have started against either of Chelsea or West brom and I think that situations as these will be few and far between.
Maybe true, but you still can't leave yourself with such a lack of tactical flexibility given who is available.

Maybe if Nani was around...

FromTheBench

Actually think LVG seems happy with 4-3-3 and balance we've had last 2 games given his comments post match.

Won't be so sure he will switch back to a Diamond with basically 3 strikers again.

ZDwyr

If we're sticking with a 4-3-3 then loaning him would be pointless because we'd be quite thin for options out wide. If Falcao and Rooney being fit changes things though I don't know.

Wade3

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I take it you missed the World Cup ?
Other world class players have performed poorly at previous World Cups, namely Messi. That doesn't take anything away from what Hazard has done so far this season in the BPL and other competitions.

Wade3

I'll never understand why RedCafe insanely overrates Hazard, or any other Chelsea player for that matter.
That's why I said arguably, but top 10 or top 15 isn't unrealistic.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Other world class players have performed poorly at previous World Cups, namely Messi. That doesn't take anything away from what Hazard has done so far this season in the BPL and other competitions.
The world cup is quite important though, and he had a complete stinker. He's quite comfortably not in the 10 best footballers in the world at the moment.

Wade3

It's not arguable that he is in the top 5 though. That's the point. Maybe top 10 or 15 but no way top 5.
Who is clearly ahead of him? Messi, Ronaldo, maybe Neymar, maybe Robben, maybe Neuer, but it's not as obvious as you make it to be.

Wade3

The world cup is quite important though, and he had a complete stinker. He's quite comfortably not in the 10 best footballers in the world at the moment.
So by your logic, Messi wasn't a top 3 player in 2010 because of his poor World Cup?

Sylar

Hope we never play / start him on the right again. Think hes scored / assisted / had his best games coming from the left where he can use width and doesnt have to cut back (ive mentioned this quite a few times I think, lol)

Would be nice to have him left, Di Maria middle and somebody on the right (somebody like Robben / Ronaldo (well Valencia right now or maybe Rafael at times) behind Rooney / RVP / Falcao. Then Blind / Herrera / Fellaini / Carrick as two anchors in midfield. Think its an option when Januzaj plays (and if we can get a proper right sided player who can beat a man with pace and cross the ball).

Raoul

Admin
Staff
So by your logic, Messi wasn't a top 3 player in 2010 because of his poor World Cup?
I would exempt Messi or Ronaldo from this as their form has been consistently untouchable for the better part of the past 6/7 years. When Hazard is at their level, he could probably have a bad world cup and not have it count against him.

In Rainbows

Hope we never play / start him on the right again. Think hes scored / assisted / had his best games coming from the left where he can use width and doesnt have to cut back (ive mentioned this quite a few times I think, lol)

Would be nice to have him left, Di Maria middle and somebody on the right (somebody like Robben / Ronaldo (well Valencia right now or maybe Rafael at times) behind Rooney / RVP / Falcao. Then Blind / Herrera / Fellaini / Carrick as two anchors in midfield. Think its an option when Januzaj plays (and if we can get a proper right sided player who can beat a man with pace and cross the ball).
He's mostly played on the left so of course he will have most of his good games there, but I still think he's better on the right. I've felt that way since he played for the youth teams. Against Hull (home) and Newcastle (home) he played on the right and those were two of his finest games. The truth is that he can play on both flanks.

Cutting back allows him to utilize his vision which he has plenty of so there is no problem there. If players give him time on the ball while he's out on the left wing he can give through balls too (see spoilered exampled which include Chelsea match), but that won't always be the case.

If he starts from the left wing and moves towards the middle of the pitch, it will be harder for him to slide though balls in with the outside of his left foot. Di Maria is very good at doing this, but Januzaj currently can't do it as well as he can. Cutting in from the right allows him to give through balls with his left foot which he does whenever there is a player willing to make a run. It also sets up his left foot to shoot. He can even give through balls from the right wing while standing still which he showed vs Spurs last season and also plenty of times for the youth teams.

This is why I think eventually he will end up as a #10 as he can utilize both sides of the pitch to do both passes I have highlighted. However, right now each wing gets a different kind of Januzaj, but I prefer the right side. I also think he dribbles better on the right touchline than the left touchline too. For example, how often do you see Januzaj doing this on the left?
Some prefer the left wing where he can cross more naturally, which is understandable.

I think he should play on both sides depending on which type of Januzaj you want to utilize.

I would exempt Messi or Ronaldo from this as their form has been consistently untouchable for the better part of the past 6/7 years. When Hazard is at their level, he could probably have a bad world cup and not have it count against him.
I don't think it's fair to count the WC against Hazard. Wilmots has failed to get the best out of his attacking players for a while. Belgium's attacking play reminds me of United last season where there was no fluidity, making it harder for every attacker to influence the match at their normal club level.

Last edited:

Mark_GrumpyLion

What I do think though is that at this time there won't be a lot of room for Januzaj to develop as a proper #10 considering Rooney/Mata takes up that position and we don't really have a lot of room to try it out with the pressure to get points. I do agree with you @In Rainbows, if he gets practice and proper guidance, he might become quite the #10.

anchan1989

Who is clearly ahead of him? Messi, Ronaldo, maybe Neymar, maybe Robben, maybe Neuer, but it's not as obvious as you make it to be.
I understand that everyone overrates the players of their league a bit because you see them every week, often in highlight shows.
But in no way is Hazard in the Top 5 in the world. Messi,Ronaldo,Robben(a level above him),Neuer,Kroos,Modric(what a monster),Lahm,Boateng, Di Maria, a fit Schweinsteiger etc.
He isnt in the top 10. He is a bit older then Neymar and Götze and could be a bit ahead of them. But thats it.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
I understand that everyone overrates the players of their league a bit because you see them every week, often in highlight shows.
But in no way is Hazard in the Top 5 in the world. Messi,Ronaldo,Robben(a level above him),Neuer,Kroos,Modric(what a monster),Lahm,Boateng, Di Maria, a fit Schweinsteiger etc.
He isnt in the top 10. He is a bit older then Neymar and Götze and could be a bit ahead of them. But thats it.
Kroos/Boateng above Hazard? Doubt it very much.

anchan1989

Kroos/Boateng above Hazard? Doubt it very much.
Why? Because the one is a world class defender and the other leads Real in games?
They have won things and lead their teams through the biggest games. Watch the WC final again. Boateng was the best player.
Hazard is a great player but he needs a longer run to come close to guys who are older and showed and won more then him that way.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Why? Because the one is a world class defender and the other leads Real in games?
They have won things and lead their teams through the biggest games. Watch the WC final again. Boateng was the best player.
Hazard is a great player but he needs a longer run to come close to guys who are older and showed and won more then him that way.
Boateng is also showing great form recently, but I remember the time where he and Dante looked shaky and his partnership with Hummels hasnt been on point always. Kroos is a hell of a player but I dont think he has reached his Bayern level yet, where he was Scholes'esque (it will come in time I think), but people tend to rate on the world cup too much, it's just a moment, where a lot of factors play in. Do you reckon Hazard would be as poor as he was if he played in Germany's side? I dont know if anyone watches Belgium, but their play is dogshite, it was slow, not the typical Hazard play, he didnt fit. Hazard was top3 in the PL this season, imo him/Silva are by far the most dangerous players in the PL, he just ripped our defence out time, he on his own, as he has been doing since his Chelsea arrival. (Along with Mata for a period), I think the lad is underrated, apart from his productivity at times, I cant see something in which he lacks.

anchan1989

Boateng is also showing great form recently, but I remember the time where he and Dante looked shaky and his partnership with Hummels hasnt been on point always. Kroos is a hell of a player but I dont think he has reached his Bayern level yet, where he was Scholes'esque (it will come in time I think), but people tend to rate on the world cup too much, it's just a moment, where a lot of factors play in. Do you reckon Hazard would be as poor as he was if he played in Germany's side? I dont know if anyone watches Belgium, but their play is dogshite, it was slow, not the typical Hazard play, he didnt fit. Hazard was top3 in the PL this season, imo him/Silva are by far the most dangerous players in the PL, he just ripped our defence out time, he on his own, as he has been doing since his Chelsea arrival. (Along with Mata for a period), I think the lad is underrated, apart from his productivity at times, I cant see something in which he lacks.
He doesnt lack anything but Boateng,Kroos and others are world class for years and he didnt show he me anything that convinces me that he is on their level or even better.
Specially Boateng is underrated for years; you can make the argument that he was the best CB in 2013.
But I digress. Everyone his opinion but Hazard isnt there for me.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
interesting article and info... https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blog...e-manchester-united-s-star-man-190905631.html

How Adnan Januzaj can become Manchester United's star man
By Eurosport28 October 2014 19:09

Pitchside Europe
Adnan Januzaj has warranted a place inLouis Van Gaal's new-look Manchester United.

The 19-year-old has started the last two games for the Red Devils, and may have put in his case to start the Manchester Derby on Sunday when United travel to the Etihad to face Champions,Manchester City.

The midfielder has played in seven of Man United's nine games this season, but his only full 90 minutes came against West Brom and Chelsea.

On Sunday against The Blues he began to show glimpses of the potential he showed last season.

Januzaj created three chances during the game, making five crosses and attempting four take ons, however he completed just one of those. He had a 80% pass completion rate and managed two shots, both of which were off target.

Cristiano Ronaldo did when he first started out at Manchester United. Fans would often get frustrated by his constant need to get past players but it if it didn't come off the first four times, you could be sure the fifth attempt would.

Raheem Sterling, Eden Hazardand team-mate, Angel Di Maria, you can see his average passes per game is way off the level he clearly has the attributes to produce. It may be harsh to compare him to three of the most naturally gifted players the Premier League has to offer, but much has been made about the potential impact that Januzaj could have in this league.

As a winger, a player must show intent to go forward and be the creative spark on the flanks. Januzaj is playing just over nine passes forward on average each game, creating less than one chance per game, compared to the other three who all over two chances per game or more.

Van Gaal has done well to start him over the last two games, after Falcao, Di Maria, Herrara and arguably Juan Mata signed, you feared the worst for a player who was one of the standout performers during David Moyes' ill-fated reign at Old Trafford.

View gallery

Starting the last two matches can only be good for the young Belgian's progression, but like Sterling it must be monitored and there be some protection for him, especially over fitness.

With United's attacking roster, It would be a surprise if Januzaj starts in the Manchester Derby. However, having a player like him on the bench – fearless and a willing working down the flank – can only bode well for Van Gaal and his team.

The Dutchman will know that Manchester City's defence hasn't been as water tight as perhaps it once was, so using Januzaj at some point on Sunday could be the key to winning the battle at the Etihad.

Redo91

Lahm ? Xabi Alonso ? Thiago Silva ? Modric ? Kroos ? Bale ? Suarez ?
All the above plus Di Maria and Diego Costa from the PL alone. I'd also have Reus and Lewandowski ahead of him from the Bundesliga. He is in the top 15 at a push but no higher.

rover

there was a report to state that one of our coaches (a dutch i presumed) see januzaj as a young cruff. i concur. he is a no winger and his best position shall be a side forward. going wide should be of less priority unless there is no opportunity to cutting in. his most influential area is inside the box, even it's crowded with pack of defenders.

as a young player the major deficiency is consistency. no matter how talented you are this is extreme difficult to get out and out good performance in your young stage of career. last season januzaj was not developed properly. moyes tempted to turn his fortune by relying on januzaj to become his savior. at the latter stage of the last season when i saw januzaj kept running up and down and tried to tackle hard, my brows got tightened. januzaj played good football when he looked like he didn't care. for such kind of talent you just need to put him into the right position, give him room to do what he is pleasure to do. moyes tried to shape him as a hard to beat player is the least thing can help but destroy a real genius.

just let januzaj be januzaj.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
3rd start in a row now. Remember when everyone was worriedly? As I said, he'll get his chances.

ZDwyr

Will have to be good defensively today because Valencia is no good at RB and will need support.

Truedevil

Would love to see him get his first goal this season against City on a derby.

ottosec

Probably gonna start on the left, Di Maria's work rate is much better and we need it with Valencia at RB.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Januzaj doddling and being indecisive as per usual directly led to City's best chance - Aguero - and they should have scored. We cannot afford to carry a passenger all the time, so far he's being nothing but that in all of these games he's played.

prateik

Needs games.. but I don't think he is ready yet.. especially considering how many players we have and how few games we have this season

A loan wouldnt be the worst idea in the world

Status
Not open for further replies.