5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zoo

He can count himself unlucky that he had to come off because of Smalling's stupidity. There was one poor moment of poor decision making when he should have released it to Fellaini by their box. But he also showed that he had the beating of Clichy and Milner and was shaping up to be a big threat for us. Any talk of a loan is silly.

Sylar

I still dont like him on the right. Waaaay too much you know what hes going to do, hes going to cut back to his left foot and not use the width at all. Its all predictable from there and easy to defend.

He doesnt use his right foot enough and isnt quick enough when he cuts in onto his left foot.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Felt sorry for him today as he was having a decent game up till the sending off
He was the obvious player to sacrifice when we needed to sure up the defence. Silly booking from smalling on harte and a poorly timed tackle cost adnan am opportunity to show what he can do - harsh on the lad

In Rainbows

I still dont like him on the right. Waaaay too much you know what hes going to do, hes going to cut back to his left foot and not use the width at all. Its all predictable from there and easy to defend.

He doesnt use his right foot enough and isnt quick enough when he cuts in onto his left foot.
He did get by his defender on the right touchline though. The ref should have given Clichy a yellow for his foul. Just look at the Swansea match where he played on the right and completed 4 dribbles and picked up 4 fouls. He by far picks up the most fouls per minute on United. Those fouls are usually dribbles that stop him from going past the player.

I think he should start forcing the issue with his vision rather than dribbling. I think he has the ability, just needs to start being more adventurous.

Patchbeard

That bit of skill past Clichy was nice. Not sure how that wasn't a yellow. Still needs more confidence in himself this season. Too often he dallies on the ball when he has time and then makes the wrong decision. At the moment he's better when he doesn't have time to think and just acts on his ability.

In Rainbows

Here's his performance, which I think proves my assessment of him right. He just didn't see enough of the ball. He had the one mistake which I stated. I don't see anything else wrong with his performance. Having seen his touches again, some people expect a miracle worker.

edit: Video removed. Give MoneyMay some more views.

Last edited:

NinjaFletch

Januzaj vs Manchester City.
Interesting microcosm of the problem I have with him.

Theres two instances of him moving the ball quickly, both times in our half, and both should have led to bookings as the players that he put the ball past just hauled him down.

Then we get to the attacking third and its woeful. The first instance is at 1:25, he receives the ball with empty space in front of him, RVP and Rooney are making runs into the box. He doesn't even try and beat his man, instead he slows it down to a walking pace before eventually cutting inside and making a 2 yard pass to Fellaini.

Then 1:46 picks up the ball with space to run into after a poor pass, Clichy on his heels and space to run into. Once again, slows the game down to a walking pace, cuts inside and then plays some weird chipped pass to nobody thats cut out and losses possession.

2:40 good bit of chest control after Rooney plays one of his pointless slow passes out to him, once again slows the game down and eventually comes inside to pass it to Di Maria.

That this boy is talented is undeniable, but there has never been a world class player that plays the game as slowly as Januzaj tries to play it. Take the difference between Di Maria and him, Di Maria was poor today. But because he plays the game at a tempo he always causes teams problems even if his delivery is off. Januzaj's performance today was Valencia like in the final third, and the fact he isn't Valencia is the only reason he gets away with it.

Sylar

He did get by his defender on the right touchline though. The ref should have given Clichy a yellow for his foul. Just look at the Swansea match where he played on the right and completed 4 dribbles and picked up 4 fouls. He by far picks up the most fouls per minute on United. Those fouls are usually dribbles that stop him from going past the player.

I think he should start forcing the issue with his vision rather than dribbling. I think he has the ability, just needs to start being more adventurous.
That was on the half way line right? I have no problem with him there on the right, its when it comes to the box and he has to cross it. Hes pretty much nullified on the right when it comes to crossing.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
I only started watching the game after 5 minutes, must admit at the 15 minute mark, I logged on here to check if Januzaj was injured or not. He was largely invisible for me and it's been a factor of his so far this season.

Red Hand Devil

Plan M ish
"I said a hip hop, hippie to the hippie..."
I only started watching the game after 5 minutes, must admit at the 15 minute mark, I logged on here to check if Januzaj was injured or not. He was largely invisible for me and it's been a factor of his so far this season.
Doesnt look interested to be honest - just strolls around avoiding involvement. Seems content in being a passenger..

In Rainbows

Doesnt look interested to be honest - just strolls around avoiding involvement. Seems content in being a passenger..
Well he's a right winger, on the right wing waiting for the ball. If the ball doesn't come to him what can he do?

What can increase his ball touches is to stop making runs when the rb has the ball. He does this a few times a game, but the rb isn't capable of making that pass. He needs to realize that or someone needs to tell him to stop doing that.

This is why I want him to play behind the striker to try and get him more involved in the game. Right now he isn't asking for the ball (which is the opposite of his youth days), but I'm not sure if that's by design or if it's Januzaj's fault. LVG is known for preferring his wide players to keep the width.

JohnnyLaw

Harsh. I don't Think you're right about that, I think it's just lack of confidence. I think that the underwhelming perfórmance against West Brom set the tone for him in the games against Chelsea and City who any offensive player would struggle against tbh, he needs a boost badly.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Didn't look like he was lacking confidence to me. Had a very good first 10 or 15 minutes but then some poor decision making (shock horror from young winger) a couple of times and then Smalling gets him the hook.

Devil may care

If only Januzaj was a portly comedy Brazilian, then he could be shite for the best part of 5 years and still get love and patience, rather than getting ripped after 3 games.

mlclauhk

Did nothing during his time on the pitch. Hasn't lived up to his potential - time will tell if he does of course, but for now, for me, he doesn't deserve his starting spot.

ZDwyr

Did nothing during his time on the pitch. Hasn't lived up to his potential - time will tell if he does of course, but for now, for me, he doesn't deserve his starting spot.
He's 19....

Rafabio

He's getting chances now but not doing anything to convince that he should keep his spot. He's a young, wee lad though. Give him time, if there's a season/period we can develop a player in the heat of real games, it's now.

FromTheBench

Btw he was much better on the left side first hal last week linking with Shaw.

Been shifted right this time for Di maria to be effective more which did not work again.

It is also odd that Lvg keeps the wide players both pinned on the wings when both like to drift in more and along with rooney can alternate.

wiz4231

Must be a joke, he's 19 ffs. Hes not a traditional winger, he doesn't have the necessary pace. He would be better suited to a #10. We really have to make a decision between Rooney and Mata, they are both too good to be on the bench, 1 of them has to leave and Januzaj should be back up to that player as a #10.
Our wide men department is in need of a serious upgrade, the likes of Young, Valencia, Nani, Zaha, Lingard are not good enough. We need to ship the lot out and bring at least 2 wingers in, 1 hitting his peak and 1 young winger (Depay).

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He was our most dangerous man on the pitch while he was on? But whatever suits your agenda though.

Sammyjunn

In Smalling's pocket (as every other person)
Interesting microcosm of the problem I have with him.

Theres two instances of him moving the ball quickly, both times in our half, and both should have led to bookings as the players that he put the ball past just hauled him down.

Then we get to the attacking third and its woeful. The first instance is at 1:25, he receives the ball with empty space in front of him, RVP and Rooney are making runs into the box. He doesn't even try and beat his man, instead he slows it down to a walking pace before eventually cutting inside and making a 2 yard pass to Fellaini.

Then 1:46 picks up the ball with space to run into after a poor pass, Clichy on his heels and space to run into. Once again, slows the game down to a walking pace, cuts inside and then plays some weird chipped pass to nobody thats cut out and losses possession.

2:40 good bit of chest control after Rooney plays one of his pointless slow passes out to him, once again slows the game down and eventually comes inside to pass it to Di Maria.

That this boy is talented is undeniable, but there has never been a world class player that plays the game as slowly as Januzaj tries to play it. Take the difference between Di Maria and him, Di Maria was poor today. But because he plays the game at a tempo he always causes teams problems even if his delivery is off. Januzaj's performance today was Valencia like in the final third, and the fact he isn't Valencia is the only reason he gets away with it.
Rather have that than di Maria just losing the ball on all the time in all areas of the pitch. These arent the ideal matches to play for someone like Januzaj, 2 matches vs far superior teams and 1 match vs a team who sat back and had 2 players on him consistently, and even then has he created some chances by good passes and crosses.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
He's 19 and all that, yeah fantastic. Let's give him time but that doesn't mean that he's not falling short of expectation either.

Raheem Sterling is 19. Tearing it up.
Julian Draxler played 30 times in the league and got 10 goals and was a Champions League player at 19.
Stephan El Shaaraway played 37 times and got 16 goals for Milan at that age.
Hell CAF Logic would have you believe he's the next Messi and Neymar given how staunchly they defend the boy.

Januzaj might be a later bloomer like Bale and the like but you cannot dismiss people's valid criticisms today because of the age argument.

He's expected to deliver every time he puts on a united shirt regardless of age. That is the standard at our club. He has failed to do so to the same standard as the 3 examples for nigh-on 10 months now. We cannot afford to continue to carry him when points are now a seriously more important commodity.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
No wonder it's hard for the kids from the academy, the standards some people seem to have are impossible to match.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
He's 19 and all that, yeah fantastic. Let's give him time but that doesn't mean that he's not falling short of expectation either.

Raheem Sterling is 19. Tearing it up.
Julian Draxler played 30 times in the league and got 10 goals and was a Champions League player at 19.
Stephan El Shaaraway played 37 times and got 16 goals for Milan at that age.
Hell CAF Logic would have you believe he's the next Messi and Neymar given how staunchly they defend the boy.

Januzaj might be a later bloomer like Bale and the like but you cannot dismiss people's valid criticisms today because of the age argument.

He's expected to deliver every time he puts on a united shirt regardless of age. That is the standard at our club. He has failed to do so to the same standard as the 3 examples for nigh-on 10 months now. We cannot afford to continue to carry him when points are now a seriously more important commodity.
Why don't you actually respond to some of the posts that were directd at you yesterday instead of continuing to spout shit?

Sterling has the luxury of starting games week in week out. A luxuy Januzaj hasn't had until the past couple of weeks.
Januzaj was a Champions league player at 18 and one of our stand out players last season. Also, Draxler has scored 4 in his next 30 odd games.
16 goals at 19 and a big fat zero since then for El Shaaraawy.

You're talking about him being a late bloomer when he is 19? Are you for real? David Silva was on loan in the Spanish 2nd division at the same age.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Draxler was hopelessly inconsistent last year at age 20, El Shaarawy has only played one full season as a first team player and Sterling has been struggling an awful lot in the past few games...in other words almost all young players are inconsistent no matter how talented they are. Yes people got a little carried away calling him a future Ballon d'Or winner but what he's going through now is what an awful lot of very, very good players went through at this age.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Also I think if you move beyond stats you would see that Draxler, El Sharaway etc are ridiculously inconsistent during the games just like most young players are. It is just that we watch him week in week out so he gets scrutinised a lot more. I think playing on the right doesn't help him either because he is forced to cut in all the time, he was better than ADM when he played on the left vs Chelsea

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
2 difficult games now. Let's see if he gets his chance against the weaker sides and see how he does

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Draxler was hopelessly inconsistent last year at age 20, El Shaarawy has only played one full season as a first team player and Sterling has been struggling an awful lot in the past few games...in other words almost all young players are inconsistent no matter how talented they are. Yes people got a little carried away calling him a future Ballon d'Or winner but what he's going through now is what an awful lot of very, very good players went through at this age.
Beat me by seconds

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I think he did ok yesterday, clearly was told to stay wide, that's why his contribution was limited. His decision making is pretty bad at times though, needs to get rid of the ball quicker or be more decisive when to dribble in the final third.

There’s no point in saying things like “he should be dropped” if you don’t suggest who should replace him. Certainly not Mata/Herrera, not on the right wing.

He did reasonably well in Chelsea game for me, and was decent yesterday, I don’t think we should expect much more from him in games like that. I would definitely play him next week.

Some ridiculous post in this thread TBH.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
For whatever reason, a day after a game and sanity resumes. Nice to see the majority understand that he's 19 years old and inconsistency is part of the package.

Status
Not open for further replies.