Adnan Januzaj - Real Sociedad player

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Have to say I’m pleased to read about that buy-back clause. Our transfer business has been so sloppy over the last few years it’s great to hear about an occasional astute decision. Equally pleased about a similar clause with Depay. I can see both of them turning into top footballers at less dysfunctional clubs than Manchester United 2013-18.

Yellow Black & Red

Supports
Watford
He's still too wet behind the years, with some remains of an adolescent-esque petulance and laziness, but he also looks like he is starting to mature and toughen up a bit. I reckon it will still take him until he is 27 or 28 for him to really come in to his own and perform on a consistent basis, he is clearly a late bloomer.

klsv

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Good goal but surely the ship's sailed? I can't escape the feeling he was yet another casualty of Fergie leaving (despite his good season under Moyes) but I don't see a Pogbaesque return.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Depay has also done as well as Janujaz, if not better, this season.

Should We resign him back aswell? nope.

Last edited:

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I think this is because Ronaldo happened. Granted he's a freak of nature but by 23-24 he was at was Real Madrid after having won everything for us.

It's worth the gamble in case one like him pays off. Then again, he had plenty of chances and time to develop. Some fans still wanted him sold before he came good, though they'd never now admit it now.
By statistic it's not worth a gamble. Ronaldo happens once in a bluemoon. When it happens it happens. For one ronaldo we've had countless of not ronaldo happening.

Ljajic, macheda, januzaj, kleberson, anderson, etc.

Other than romantism aside why spent 4 years developing a player with a 20 percent chances of actually making it. And even in the case of ronaldo he moved away at the young age of 24.

Signing a young player doesnt guarantee their hearts will be with us.

sunama

Baghdad Bob
Have to say I’m pleased to read about that buy-back clause. Our transfer business has been so sloppy over the last few years it’s great to hear about an occasional astute decision. Equally pleased about a similar clause with Depay. I can see both of them turning into top footballers at less dysfunctional clubs than Manchester United 2013-18.
Eh?
Januzaj was given plenty of chances to prove himself in the EPL. He got chances in Germany, too.
Now, because he scores 1 goal....all of a sudden we are talking about buy back clauses? WTF.

He wasn't good enough for us during the 2013-2017 era....and he still isn't good enough for us. And it is extremely rare that a player who plays badly for 4-5 consecutive years, suddenly becomes a title winning talent.

Same goes for Memphis. These buy-back clauses will never be executed, because the players in question have had ample opportunities and failed every single time.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Eh?
Januzaj was given plenty of chances to prove himself in the EPL. He got chances in Germany, too.
Now, because he scores 1 goal....all of a sudden we are talking about buy back clauses? WTF.

He wasn't good enough for us during the 2013-2017 era....and he still isn't good enough for us. And it is extremely rare that a player who plays badly for 4-5 consecutive years, suddenly becomes a title winning talent.

Same goes for Memphis. These buy-back clauses will never be executed, because the players in question have had ample opportunities and failed every single time.
“Eh?” Right back at you.

Januzaj has had a good season in Spain. This isn’t about a single goal. Likewise (only better) with Depay in France.

Now they might well never be good enough for United but if either of them had never played for us before we’d all be very excited if we were linked to either them right now, based on their performances in the season just gone. And chances are they’ll get better and better from here.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I'm chuffed that he's had a good performance last night. Always nice to see our former youngsters (respectful) players doing well.

I think people are jumping the gun a wee bit though. We knew he had the quality, it's the consistently and mentality that was questionable.

Lets see whether he can hold his form for a season.

MUFC OK

By statistic it's not worth a gamble. Ronaldo happens once in a bluemoon. When it happens it happens. For one ronaldo we've had countless of not ronaldo happening.

Other than romantism aside why spent 4 years developing a player with a 20 percent chances of actually making it. And even in the case of ronaldo he moved away at the young age of 24.

Well Ljajic didn't join us, and Kleberson arrived as a 26 year old World Cup winner, kind of different to the others.

So what, are you are basically saying you don't see the point in signing or playing young players with high potential, because they may not make it? It's kind of the fabric of this football club..

Young players need game time and a good work ethic to reach their potential, there is also a fair amount of luck required. Rashford for example was lucky he got onto the bench for that Europa league tie due to injures to other players.

Deleted member 101472

“Eh?” Right back at you.

Januzaj has had a good season in Spain. This isn’t about a single goal. Likewise (only better) with Depay in France.

Now they might well never be good enough for United but if either of them had never played for us before we’d all be very excited if we were linked to either them right now, based on their performances in the season just gone. And chances are they’ll get better and better from here.
He didn’t have that good a season in Spain, he’s at his level.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
He didn’t have that good a season in Spain, he’s at his level.
Man you keep coming on here playing this kid down. He scored a brilliant World Cup goal and all you want to do is criticize him and question why we aren’t happy for an ex academy player. For once eat some humble pie.

Also he had a really good season in Spain. That is the reason he got called up for the Belgium side

shamans

Macheda was never close to having anything near as much talent as the rest. Was obvious

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Well Ljajic didn't join us, and Kleberson arrived as a 26 year old World Cup winner, kind of different to the others.

So what, are you are basically saying you don't see the point in signing or playing young players with high potential, because they may not make it? It's kind of the fabric of this football club..

Young players need game time and a good work ethic to reach their potential, there is also a fair amount of luck required. Rashford for example was lucky he got onto the bench for that Europa league tie due to injures to other players.
All I'm saying unless you can see the future it's not as easy as "if we want it we will made it".

Let's say you're ed and you employ 100 percent youth policy hunting all wonderboys all over the world. It still doesnt guarantee you will win anything. It's not fm.

A few years back there's a thread on potential wonderboyss for the future. 90 percent of the names mentioned years ago ended up as nothing player.

Classical Mechanic

He did OK in Spain, showed some good form but was very patchy. He's very naturally gifted so looks easy on eye when in form.

The questions have always been over his attitude. I do wonder why KDB erased him in training early in the WC.

Stacks

Really? You think that about Januzaj? What's your definition of "top player"

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Really? You think that about Januzaj? What's your definition of "top player"
Good enough to play for Manchester United. I can see it happening doesn’t mean I’m confident it will happen but I’d say he’s in with a shout. Definitely one of the most talented youngsters I’ve seen come through the ranks since I’ve been following youth football at the club.

MUFC OK

All I'm saying unless you can see the future it's not as easy as "if we want it we will made it".

Let's say you're ed and you employ 100 percent youth policy hunting all wonderboys all over the world. It still doesnt guarantee you will win anything. It's not fm.

A few years back there's a thread on potential wonderboyss for the future. 90 percent of the names mentioned years ago ended up as nothing player.
Of course, but I don't think any United fan is annoyed at us for taking a chance on the likes of Januzaj.. It's about a balance of youth and experience, I'd love to see an exciting young RW at United right now.

Stacks

Man you keep coming on here playing this kid down. He scored a brilliant World Cup goal and all you want to do is criticize him and question why we aren’t happy for an ex academy player. For once eat some humble pie.

Also he had a really good season in Spain. That is the reason he got called up for the Belgium side
He started half the matches for a side that can only manage a 13th placed finish. Think what the prem equivalent of this is.........

Stacks

Good enough to play for Manchester United. I can see it happening doesn’t mean I’m confident it will happen but I’d say he’s in with a shout. Definitely one of the most talented youngsters I’ve seen come through the ranks since I’ve been following youth football at the club.
Yeah I agree on that. Rossi is for me still the best though. Maybe its mental with Januzaj and playing for Man Utd, you definitely need the mentality or you're outta there.

Robbie Boy

Carlos Vela managed a much better first season at Sociedad and tbh, I can’t see Januzaj reaching even Vela heights. I do think he’s a much better player now than he was at Sunderland during his loan spell and he could well end up pushing on next season. I still don’t think he’ll ever realise his early promise though and I reckon he could end up being a journeyman with some decent spells here and there.

Deleted member 101472

There’s a difference between putting someone down and telling it like it is. He’s a frustrating player capable of moments like you saw yesterday but those are far too few and far in between for a player of his age, academy upbringing and supposed potential.

He scored a good goal yesterday and that was pretty much it, so if he can keep doing that then at least he’ll have somewhat of an end product to his game.

You won’t have to look far for me congratulating januzaj if he ever turns into this world class player you seem to think he can be. But you have enough performances and data to analyze that must show you how wrong you are about him so far.

Patchbeard

He started half the matches for a side that can only manage a 13th placed finish. Think what the prem equivalent of this is.........
Looking at stats at face value rarely tells the full story...

I tried to follow his progress as I was pretty excited about him five years ago, like a lot of us on here. To be honest, I thought he was going to fade into obscurity at first. He wasn't a starter at first, which is understandable as a young player in a new league coming off the back of two poor loan spells, but he wasn't overly impressing in the cameos I saw, just the same old frustrating Januzaj with nice touches but no end product. I almost forgot about him until I saw he was starting games near the end of the season and had just scored in a 5-0 win. He was performance in a 3-0 win against Atletico and started all Sociedad's games as they actually finished the season quite strongly with 4 wins in their last 7.

Tldr, stats don't tell the whole story, he started slowly but how else would he have got called up into a Belgium squad packed with attacking talent (and after 4 years without a cap) if he wasn't in good form the last few months?

Stacks

There’s a difference between putting someone down and telling it like it is. He’s a frustrating player capable of moments like you saw yesterday but those are far too few and far in between for a player of his age, academy upbringing and supposed potential.

He scored a good goal yesterday and that was pretty much it, so if he can keep doing that then at least he’ll have somewhat of an end product to his game.

You won’t have to look far for me congratulating januzaj if he ever turns into this world class player you seem to think he can be. But you have enough performances and data to analyze that must show you how wrong you are about him so far.
Nope you're wrong. Gorge yourself on that pie until you explode. :smirk:

Obviously you speak truth

Stacks

Looking at stats at face value rarely tells the full story...

I tried to follow his progress as I was pretty excited about him five years ago, like a lot of us on here. To be honest, I thought he was going to fade into obscurity at first. He wasn't a starter at first, which is understandable as a young player in a new league coming off the back of two poor loan spells, but he wasn't overly impressing in the cameos I saw, just the same old frustrating Januzaj with nice touches but no end product. I almost forgot about him until I saw he was starting games near the end of the season and had just scored in a 5-0 win. He was performance in a 3-0 win against Atletico and started all Sociedad's games as they actually finished the season quite strongly with 4 wins in their last 7.

Tldr, stats don't tell the whole story, he started slowly but how else would he have got called up into a Belgium squad packed with attacking talent (and after 4 years without a cap) if he wasn't in good form the last few months?
Funny enough, wide positions aren't exactly brimming with talent for Belgium. Origi and Mirallas were his rivals for wing positions (in terms of players who were on standby). He basically got into the squad on 6 weeks worth of noteworthy performances. That may not have sufficed if they had more talent out wide, but then again, maybe it would!

shamans

Generally criticizing him is one thing but to do it after he had a pretty good game is kind of bitter. Also I am not wrong about him because I believe he will be a world class player and whether he will or wont, time will tell

Deleted member 101472

Generally criticizing him is one thing but to do it after he had a pretty good game is kind of bitter. Also I am not wrong about him because I believe he will be a world class player and whether he will or wont, time will tell
What do you think of quaresma?

Stacks

But it does as you can see the huge difference between first half and second half of his seasons. Clearly that would suggest he was settling in.
Its such a small sample size of 4-5 impactful games though. Again I would call that a "bit of form" as opposed to "he has settled". I would prefer the latter as I liked his talent, but he just didn't kick on.

shamans

Its such a small sample size of 4-5 impactful games though. Again I would call that a "bit of form" as opposed to "he has settled". I would prefer the latter as I liked his talent, but he just didn't kick on.
Well let's see. Another season is coming up soon..

shamans

Talented on the ball but nothing else. Are you trying to say Januzaj can end up like him? If so then I am not arguing with you. If he doesn't kick on, he can easily be another Quaresma. However, I personally believe he will go on to be a world class player. Whether he will be back at united or not I am not sure.

Classical Mechanic

If you watched the game last night he had a lot of joy against Danny Rose but when Maguire came on in the second half after the goal (when he beat Rose again) he started bullying him and getting close. Januzaj was out of the game then.

Varun

Staff
Jesus christ. How tough is it to understand an opinion that says he has the talent but whether or not he makes it remains to be seen? It is daft to completely write off a player his age and that won't change no matter how much conviction you use in the way you phrase your posts.