Adrian Silva: arrives at Leicester 14 seconds too late

GloryHunter07

Chelsea coming in so late for Drinkwater probably didn't help the situation. One was likely dependent on the other.
Fair enough but you could either say to Chelsea its too late or say deal is contingent on a replacement. It is well known that the bloke at Sporting is difficult to deal with (ask WestHam).

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Or perhaps football clubs should use some sense instead and not leave their business until the last few hours of the transfer window. Then they wouldn't need to whinge about failing to meet the deadline by 14 seconds.
As already pointed out, it was down to Chelsea coming very late to buy Drinkwater. Which was actually down to them failing to land multiple transfers in the previous few days, and it's not even Leicester but Adrien Silva who is going to pay for this.

RuudTom83

It's hard on Leicester but FIFA are only sticking by there rules and it's Leicester's incompetence that is to blame, where it be 14 seconds, 5 minutes, half an hour...if it's passed the deadline it's passed the deadline!

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It's 14 seconds. People need to show some common fcuking sense.

Anyone that says 1 second is too late is plain daft. 14 seconds is a dodgy phone line or broadband or fax connection.

Make them pay a fine and tell them their deadline finishes an hour early next window. Punish them by all means. But don't punish 14 seconds. It's pathetic.

Late is late but "Sorry it won't happen again" is a fair explanation.

ThomasEmil

Invisible Herrera Watcher
It's the price you pay for late transfers. Can't really see why they'd need sympathy - that's the way it works.
If they really wanted him, I guess they'd ought to apply for him earlier?

Brophs

The One and Only
Pathetic. Boris Becker could have conceived 3 children in that amount of time. In the dark.

UnrelatedPsuedo

It's hard on Leicester but FIFA are only sticking by there rules and it's Leicester's incompetence that is to blame, where it be 14 seconds, 5 minutes, half an hour...if it's passed the deadline it's passed the deadline!
No. 14 seconds is not the same as five minutes or half an hour. It's the length of two breaths. It's not late.

If it was United we'd be fuming.

Rafateria

I love when people say rules are rules as if nobody is allowed to apply even slightest amount of logic while dealing with situations like this. They were just seconds off which was in no way players fault and now he will be forced to spend four months without any football because of it. Nobody is saying they should be allowed an extra day or even several hours but when it's a matter of seconds, such small that it could simply be down to two clocks set up differently, governing bodies should use sense instead of book
This.

FIFA are corrupt bastards and so it seems can't utilise common sense and a sense of fair play when necessary, slipping someone a £100 via bitcoin would have solved the issue.

ThomasEmil

It's 14 seconds. People need to show some common fcuking sense.

Anyone that says 1 second is too late is plain daft. 14 seconds is a dodgy phone line or broadband or fax connection.

Make them pay a fine and tell them their deadline finishes an hour early next window. Punish them by all means. But don't punish 14 seconds. It's pathetic.

Why? What's the "fair exceeding limit"? It's a slippery road, and in the real world a deadline is a deadline - for a reason. Why should that not apply for Football Clubs as well?

ThomasEmil

The only victim is the player. Leicesters just been donkeys in the case.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I love when people say rules are rules as if nobody is allowed to apply even slightest amount of logic while dealing with situations like this. They were just seconds off which was in no way players fault and now he will be forced to spend four months without any football because of it. Nobody is saying they should be allowed an extra day or even several hours but when it's a matter of seconds, such small that it could simply be down to two clocks set up differently, governing bodies should use sense instead of book
Exactly. It's player punitive. Not club punitive. That's ridiculous.

Just tell Leicester their deadline is 1hr prior to everyone else's next year.

There's a lesson there. People can poke fun and they'll learn from it.

RC89

Frustrating for Leicester but agree with FIFA here. Would open the flodgates for appeals and leniency in the future.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
It would be interesting to have a poll here. Is this a cultural thing? Or just punctual rule-fearing mortals vs. always late people?

:lol: It literally doesn't explain anything (not that explanations matter).

ThomasEmil

Exactly! Rules! Letting certain parties bend them a bit would be unfair towards the other clubs. What's the point in rules if they're not being enforced?

UnrelatedPsuedo

Why? What's the "fair exceeding limit"? It's a slippery road, and in the real world a deadline is a deadline - for a reason. Why should that not apply for Football Clubs as well?
Well we can draw the line at a minute if you like. But case by case makes more sense.

If they'd had a power cut that evening in the City I'd give them 24 hours.

It's a simple decision. It's not a slippery slope. Punish the club. Free the player.

ThomasEmil

It's literally like that friend of yours always turning up late because he was lazy and didn't get out the door in time. When it's business you got deadlines for a reason.

ThomasEmil

Well we can draw the line at a minute if you like. But case by case makes more sense.

If they'd had a power cut that evening in the City I'd give them 24 hours.

It's a simple decision. It's not a slippery slope. Punish the club. Free the player.
If they had a power cut that'd be a fair explanation. In this case there wasn't anything but bad planning.

UnrelatedPsuedo

It would be interesting to have a poll here. Is this a cultural thing? Or just punctual rule-fearing mortals vs. always late people?

:lol: It literally doesn't explain anything.
It's 14 seconds. "Sorry it won't happen again" is fair.

When was the last time you had to explain away 14 seconds. (Don't give me stories of your love life)

UnrelatedPsuedo

It's literally like that friend of yours always turning up late because he was lazy and didn't get out the door in time. When it's business you got deadlines for a reason.
No. It's not. When were you last held accountable to 14 seconds?

The Germans say that on time is on punctual. Early is as bad as late. Do you hold yourself to that standard to a degree of seconds?

antohan

Exactly! Rules! Letting certain parties bend them a bit would be unfair towards the other clubs. What's the point in rules if they're not being enforced?
I suggest you tell him how you feel about it. So much frustration bottled up can't be good for you or your relationship.

UnrelatedPsuedo

If they had a power cut that'd be a fair explanation. In this case there wasn't anything but bad planning.
I was making the point that I'd go case by case.

14 seconds.

Every post in this thread has taken longer.

FIFA can't even take a bribe in 14 seconds.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
If I left to catch the train and was 14 seconds too late I wouldn't blame the train. I'd blame everybody else in the world because god knows it's obviously their fault. Then a few days later I'd probably admit I left it a bit too late.

Leave Leicester to be. They'll come around eventually.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Didn't the deal collapse last minute last season too?

antohan

It's 14 seconds. "Sorry it won't happen again" is fair.

When was the last time you had to explain away 14 seconds. (Don't give me stories of your love life)
Nobody forces you to wait three months before those 14 seconds.

Sylar

Have no sympathy for Leicester.

More so for the player, but then again, he will be paid for a few months for just training.

autopilot

Supports
Chelsea
Fine clubs £10k for every second past the deadline!

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
Yep. Sounds like a jammed fax machine to me. Common problem really, nothing you can do.

RuudTom83

No. 14 seconds is not the same as five minutes or half an hour. It's the length of two breaths. It's not late.

If it was United we'd be fuming.
Yeah I'd be pissed at the idiot feeding the paper work into the fax machine! But the blame is 100% with the club and not the midnight deadline that has been known all bleedin summer!

stepic

in the real world 14 seconds doesn't mean shit. if I submit a report 14 seconds late no one is going to care because there's an element of reasonableness that works in dealing with people on a practical level. 'rules are rules'. blah, bore off.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Yeah I'd be pissed at the idiot feeding the paper work into the fax machine! But the blame is 100% with the club and not the midnight deadline that has been known all bleedin summer!
Agreed. But the punishment should not affect the player and it shouldn't affect this transfer.

It's 14 seconds. Just hand Leicester a 1,12,24 hour punishment at the next window.

The goal should be to educate and alter future action with a minimum amount of punishment.

If I get caught speeding 5mph over the limit a fine of £250 teaches me I was wrong. A 5 year driving ban does the same thing but is way over the top.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Sure you have to draw a line somewhere but sometimes common sense has to dictate, this is sheer stupidity, it's not sending any message to clubs. Teams are still gonna leave it until last minute anyway, all they've done is waste half a season of Silva's career.

Wal2Fra

If they put through the registration at 23:00:14 it is still on the 11pm deadline as it is not a minute over, I am sure they can use it off that basis and accept it?

I mean logic must come into it at some point from that side but same time Leicester must have been in a position to do the registration 15 seconds earlier at least!?