Adriana Leon signs | leaves for Aston Villa

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Canadian international, Olympic games gold medallist. She's 29 and she's signed for two years.

OK, I admit I didn't pay close enough attention to West Ham to know how excited to be, given that she had an injury last year. I do remember her scoring against team GB at the Olympics though and I know she's got skills!

Grande

Canadian international, Olympic games gold medallist. She's 29 and she's signed for two years.

OK, I admit I didn't pay close enough attention to West Ham to know how excited to be, given that she had an injury last year. I do remember her scoring against team GB at the Olympics though and I know she's got skills!
She has a lot of games for Canada, 81, and with 23 goals she is among Canadas top goalscorers. Canada has a pretty decent national team, so it’s not shabby for a 29 year old.

She’s said to be a bit of a trickster, but I haven’t seen her to know it. Skinner seems to like her, though, from his welcoming words.

MUW4Eva

Good first signing, adds more depth, hopefully the next signing is a CB....

RedDevilQuebecois

Ever since she came up on my radar back in the 2015 WWC, she always showed quite the energy on the pitch. Really good signing.

MUW4Eva

Ever since she came up on my radar back in the 2015 WWC, she always showed quite the energy on the pitch. Really good signing.
I am happy she is here, she certainly will add depth to our attacking options, hopefully this isn't the end of our transfer business though....

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
She has a lot of games for Canada, 81, and with 23 goals she is among Canadas top goalscorers. Canada has a pretty decent national team, so it’s not shabby for a 29 year old.

She’s said to be a bit of a trickster, but I haven’t seen her to know it. Skinner seems to like her, though, from his welcoming words.
She's more of a willing runner and physical player than a trickster, but she's still a skillful player. Her versatility will make her a valuable player for United, and I can see her doing quite well with us, especially when she combines with Russo and Galton.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
That doesn't mean Russo is going ? Both are reasonable firepower to have.

Get some defensive pillar on top of that and it's some start.

Grande

She's more of a willing runner and physical player than a trickster, but she's still a skillful player. Her versatility will make her a valuable player for United, and I can see her doing quite well with us, especially when she combines with Russo and Galton.
Ah, thanks for filling me in. Do you expect she’ll go straight into the starting eleven?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Ah, thanks for filling me in. Do you expect she’ll go straight into the starting eleven?
That's a tough call. I think she'll be a good starter, but Skinner might have other ideas. I wouldn't be surprised if she comes off the bench for the first month or two before establishing herself as a starting forward. Unfortunately, I think her versatility may hold her back at the beginning.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
It's not obvious to me that she's a starter. I'd have her on a similar level to Martha Thomas - not a bad option but not an upgrade either. My instinct is that she's about adding depth and flexibility, rather than displacing anyone.

Grande

It's not obvious to me that she's a starter. I'd have her on a similar level to Martha Thomas - not a bad option but not an upgrade either. My instinct is that she's about adding depth and flexibility, rather than displacing anyone.
That's a tough call. I think she'll be a good starter, but Skinner might have other ideas. I wouldn't be surprised if she comes off the bench for the first month or two before establishing herself as a starting forward. Unfortunately, I think her versatility may hold her back at the beginning.
I must confess I am more than a bit worried that we are not going to reinforce our team post Stoney.

MUW4Eva

I must confess I am more than a bit worried that we are not going to reinforce our team post Stoney.
Welcome to the worried about the team club!

It is nice to welcome a new member!

MUW4Eva

Haha. It’s not a small club atm.

Ironical that suddenly Ornstein tells us we have agreed a deal for Nikita Parris! Even if she was better a couple of seasons ago. What happened to her?
Father Time, it happens to all players alas.

Time has passed her by, at best she is a one dimensional player, in years gone by, she could use that to her advantage, but as time has moved on, and indeed has the women's game in general, she hasn't.

Hence why Lyon and Arsenal were both happy to see her moved on from them.

She has outlived her usefulness to the very best clubs, so is now seen as second or third tier, hence why we have been able to get her.

I hope that she proves all of her doubters wrong, I really do, but there doesn't seem to be too much to base that on.
Still at least she is a step up from Bruun...Parris actually scored last season, so there is that to get excited about....

One penalty v no goals.....

Not exactly the height of excitement, & not exactly enough to base a video package around for the club to use is it??

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
Father Time, it happens to all players alas.

Time has passed her by, at best she is a one dimensional player, in years gone by, she could use that to her advantage, but as time has moved on, and indeed has the women's game in general, she hasn't.

Hence why Lyon and Arsenal were both happy to see her moved on from them.

She has outlived her usefulness to the very best clubs, so is now seen as second or third tier, hence why we have been able to get her.

I hope that she proves all of her doubters wrong, I really do, but there doesn't seem to be too much to base that on.
Still at least she is a step up from Bruun...Parris actually scored last season, so there is that to get excited about....

One penalty v no goals.....

Not exactly the height of excitement, & not exactly enough to base a video package around for the club to use is it??
Bruun scored 6 in 11 for Lyon in 21/22.

MUW4Eva

Bruun scored 6 in 11 for Lyon in 21/22.
I was talking about Brunn's time with us, care to post her goal scoring stats for the 6 months she spent with us from January please.....

Wixqaz

Supports
Celtic
I was talking about Brunn's time with us, care to post her goal scoring stats for the 6 months she spent with us from January please.....
You said last season. If you're going to be a prick about a player at least have the stats to back it up.

MUW4Eva

You said last season. If you're going to be a prick about a player at least have the stats to back it up.
I was talking about last season, she spent 6 months on loan with us last season.

I wasn't to use your derogatory term "being a prick", I was talking about her time with us, why would I talk or use her time before she joined us, that is irrelevant.

So, please by all means put her scoring record up for the 6 months that she was here on loan with us, what was it like??

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
So, please by all means put her scoring record up for the 6 months that she was here on loan with us, what was it like??
I think we already know what Bruun's loan was like for us. Between the injuries and her lack of form we got very little from her. That doesn't tell you much about her quality or about the sense behind the gamble we took to take her on loan though. We all know the gamble didn't pay off.

But in honesty the way you talk about it, I'm not surprised you come across badly. I get you feel strongly about your opinions, but it sounds like you feel other people's opinions are based on lack of knowledge or lack of care.

MUW4Eva

I think we already know what Bruun's loan was like for us. Between the injuries and her lack of form we got very little from her. That doesn't tell you much about her quality or about the sense behind the gamble we took to take her on loan though. We all know the gamble didn't pay off.

But in honesty the way you talk about it, I'm not surprised you come across badly. I get you feel strongly about your opinions, but it sounds like you feel other people's opinions are based on lack of knowledge or lack of care.
No far from it, I respect everyone's opinions, they are fully entitled to hold whatever views or thoughts that they want, no worries, or malice from my end there.

I was only mentioning Brunn's spell in comparison to Parris' season at Arsenal, both WSL, one had a single goal, one didn't even get that very frustratingly.
I really wanted Bruun to succeed here with us, I was delighted to see her sign, but in the end the deal was sadly a major flop, there is no other way to describe it.

No matter what she does at the Euro's, she had six months to give us more than a single reason to sign her, and well sadly she didn't even do that.

Parris surely can't be as bad a deal or a time as the Bruun one was, so the only way is up hopefully....

MUW4Eva

Outshining Bunny Shaw, hopefully not for the last time that they are on the same pitch together.....

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
She's playing in the CONCACAF tournament at the moment, and was player of the match last night, with a goal and an assist against Jamaica.

Canada play the USA in the final.
I don't know about player of the match. I'd have given that to either Quinn or Fleming, but she did play well against Jamaica for sure.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Can’t say I’m surprised about this. She’s played so little and she’s obviously behind Thomas & García in the pecking order.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Can’t say I’m surprised about this. She’s played so little and she’s obviously behind Thomas & García in the pecking order.

Yeah, this is a good loan move for her. There's no way she was going to get enough minutes at United, so this is good for her in order to get back to her best in time for the World Cup.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I'm glad she's going to be able to get a few games in before the World Cup. It's a shame that Skinner never found a way to use her - her form for Canada has been good, even while she's been a benchwarmer (and not even a first choice sub) for us.

We did have a loan deal offer for her back in January. I read that deal might have included an offer to buy. I'm not sure why we didn't let her go then. Good luck to her now.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I'm glad she's going to be able to get a few games in before the World Cup. It's a shame that Skinner never found a way to use her - her form for Canada has been good, even while she's been a benchwarmer (and not even a first choice sub) for us.

We did have a loan deal offer for her back in January. I read that deal might have included an offer to buy. I'm not sure why we didn't let her go then. Good luck to her now.
Feels similar to Fuso. I'm happy that we've assembled a bit deeper squad with more quality, but it doesn't really matter or work, if you don't use it.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Seeing as she's a regular for Canada, you'd think she would have had more chances

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Seeing as she's a regular for Canada, you'd think she would have had more chances
She has two main issues: she's terribly inconsistent, and she doesn't have a set position as an attacking player. She tends to drift out wide as she feels more comfortable playing there, but she's mostly ineffective out wide. Her best moments come when she drifts into more central areas and plays more like a second striker. Unfortunately, neither Canada nor Manchester United play with a second striker, so she had to play out wide where, for the most part, she's wasteful.