Adrien Rabiot | signs 1 year deal at Juventus. See you all next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

the_cliff

I saw he's been playing well recently after an awful stint at Juventus, and that's why you can't trust blokes like him, they move into their final year of the contract and remember they have to actually do something if they want to continue getting paid. If he likes the money so much I'm sure there's a team in the middle east that will take him.
He's been good at Juventus, had some poor performances last season but so did most of their team. This season he's probably been their best player. Wherever Rabiot has played whether it for PSG, Juve or with the France national team he has been very good, the majority of the time. Now if you dislike the player because of something his mum did or said that's entirely different but what you just said is entirely untrue.

MadMike

He's a considerably better footballer than Fred or McTominay, there's little doubt of that to anyone who watches football. He's also a better option to Eriksen for partnering Casemiro in many types of games, primarily where Eriksen's lack of engine becomes a problem for our team. He's at end of his contract and Ten Hag likes him (based on going for him last summer).

If a) he's motivated to come here and b) the money is reasonable then why not? My only real qualm would be about his mother/agent.

The end of off-pitch drama and the focus on football is paramount. I don't want another Raiola/Pogba situation. If Veronique can take a backseat then bring it.

the_cliff

He's a considerably better footballer than Fred or McTominay, there's little doubt of that to anyone who watches football. He's also a better option to Eriksen for partnering Casemiro in many types of games, primarily where Eriksen's lack of engine becomes a problem to the team. He's at end of contract and Ten Hag likes him (based on going for him last summer).

If a) he's motivated to come here and b) the money is reasonable then why not? My only real qualm would be about his mother/agent.

The end of off-pitch drama and the focus on football is paramount. I don't want another Raiola/Pogba situation.
Good post and I completely agree.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I was among the minority who wanted us to sign Rabiot in the summer. He's a really good player and his ball carrying ability in midfield would've given us a different dimension. He would've been brought in to play next to Casemiro imo.

crossy1686

career ending
He's been good at Juventus, had some poor performances last season but so did most of their team. This season he's probably been their best player. Wherever Rabiot has played whether it for PSG, Juve or with the France national team he has been very good, the majority of the time. Now if you dislike the player because of something his mum did or said that's entirely different but what you just said is entirely untrue.
Juventus tried to release him in the summer, that’s how good he’s been. Ask the Juve fans on here, he’s been appalling. He’s played well this season like I said, and it’s because there’s zero CL clubs interested in him and the money he wants.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I was among the minority who wanted us to sign Rabiot in the summer. He's a really good player and his ball carrying ability in midfield would've given us a different dimension. He would've been brought in to play next to Casemiro imo.
I didn't understand the enormous negativity over signing him.

caid

Hes a good player but i'm not at all keen on him to be honest.
Hes at a level where he definitely could be useful but i'd want him to be pretty keen to join to be enthusiastic about him. He would have joined in the summer if he was imo, so I'm just not interested in him anymore.

Irwin99

Has really surprised me at the World Cup although it helps he's got Griezmann and Tchouaméni beside him. Will be interesting to see who wins the midfield battle between those three and England's midfield.

Walters_19_MuFc

He's looked pretty decent in the WC in the 8 role next to Tchouameni but I think if we want to build a team, then we should be looking elsewhere.

De Jong or Bellingham for me.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
Not sure where this idea that Rabiot has attitude issues comes from. It's only been his mother, and it was mostly during his time at PSG when she was not happy about his role. He was young and she doesnt seem to have that much influence on him, if anything in the France squad he's praised for his behavior.

phelans shorts

Not sure where this idea that Rabiot has attitude issues comes from. It's only been his mother, and it was mostly during his time at PSG when she was not happy about his role. He was young and she doesnt seem to have that much influence on him, if anything in the France squad he's praised for his behavior.
If memory serves, wasn’t the worst thing he did at PSG going clubbing the night United knocked them out of the Champions League… even though PSG had already publicly declared they would never play him again.

huyn

Supports
FC Nantes
If memory serves, wasn’t the worst thing he did at PSG going clubbing the night United knocked them out of the Champions League… even though PSG had already publicly declared they would never play him again.
Yea and it wasn't even bad. After telling PSG he would leave at the end of his contract, they told him he wouldn't play again, he was not called up for that game, he was basically on vacation so he was free to do what he wanted.
You could argue about his consistency, or if he's playing well because he's in a contract year (personally I never believed that argument for any player), or his overall level of performance (even though he's been excellent this season and one of the best french players in the WC so far), but this image of him as a trouble maker is weird, I don't know where it comes from.

Erik the Red

Sommer, Rabiot and Ndicka on the free would be a great start for the summer window.
Laimer and Moukoko are also available for free. All of these players should be strongly considered.

A number of clubs do really well fishing in the "out of contract" pond, although sometimes I feel that the clubs have tapped up the player a couple of years earlier and the player deliberately runs down their contract.

If we can get a couple of top quality free deals like we did with Eriksen, either young players with potential like Ndicka, Laimer and Moukoko, or more experienced players who don't necessarily expect to be guaranteed first choice, and would be prepared to share minutes, like Eriksen, then we can build the squad depth we need. Eriksen could quite easily share time with Rabiot, or Casemiro with Laimer. This approach would allow us to keep our powder dry, and go big for the players we are really after.

MadMike

I'd want him to be pretty keen to join to be enthusiastic about him. He would have joined in the summer if he was imo, so I'm just not interested in him anymore.
Huh? He was keen to join, he never said he didn't want to, but not for the kind of money that would result in him taking a pay cut. Italy has a 21.5% effective tax rate, compared to 45% for the UK. According to sources at the time, he asked for the same net salary (5.5m), which basically meant he asked for 50k pw more than his current gross deal at Juve. At that point we walked away.

People are being too weird about this. Players are not fans. They can like a team and a project, but they will also protect their financial interests over a short career. I'm not sure how many of us would move to different job for less money, nor do I understand why we demand that of players. And bear in mind that going from Juve to United is not really "moving up" either.

caid

Huh? He was keen to join, he never said he didn't want to, but not for the kind of money that would result in him taking a pay cut. Italy has a 21.5% effective tax rate, compared to 45% for the UK. According to sources at the time, he asked for the same net salary (5.5m), which basically meant he asked for 50k pw more than his current gross deal at Juve. At that point we walked away.

People are being too weird about this. Players are not fans. They can like a team and a project, but they will also protect their financial interests over a short career. I'm not sure how many of us would move to different job for less money, nor do I understand why we demand that of players. And bear in mind that going from Juve to United is not really "moving up" either.
Yeah its a bit harsh. I recognise that but still feel that way.
I get the not moving up part, i really do. Him not wanting to move out of wanting to compete in the champions league, or being a bit wary of our set up would be understandable and fair, I'd almost respect the player more for needing convincing. Money being the obstacle is another matter.
I just assume that whatever we're offering is probably a better deal that anyone else is willing to offer by default (officially at least). He got his current deal after leaving PSG on a free and it, along with most of the other contracts Juve were offering at the time, was inflated due to that. I dont think expecting to maintain that when we're paying a transfer fee after a mostly unsuccesful time is that reasonable. Walking away would probably be my approach too.
His time at Juventus hasn't been positive, the team has struggled, the fans were desperate to be rid of him. There aren't that many routes forward where he maintains his salary or his position in a champions league team. I dont really get why he didn't see it as a good opportunity he should make work to be honest.
And expecting enthusiasm and drive from someone you see primarily as a squad player and cover for someone better is a necessity in my opinion. Were competing at the absolute highest levels or at least seeking too. Someone going through the motions and doing enough to get by wont cut it. Its not a standard i'd apply to most, if any, other jobs but i would where United are concerned.

the_cliff

I get the not moving up part, i really do. Him not wanting to move out of wanting to compete in the champions league, or being a bit wary of our set up would be understandable and fair, I'd almost respect the player more for needing convincing. Money being the obstacle is another matter.
I just assume that whatever we're offering is probably a better deal that anyone else is willing to offer by default (officially at least). He got his current deal after leaving PSG on a free and it, along with most of the other contracts Juve were offering at the time, was inflated due to that. I dont think expecting to maintain that when we're paying a transfer fee after a mostly unsuccesful time is that reasonable. Walking away would probably be my approach too.
His time at Juventus hasn't been positive, the team has struggled, the fans were desperate to be rid of him. There aren't that many routes forward where he maintains his salary or his position in a champions league team. I dont really get why he didn't see it as a good opportunity he should make work to be honest.
And expecting enthusiasm and drive from someone you see primarily as a squad player and cover for someone better is a necessity in my opinion. Were competing at the absolute highest levels or at least seeking too. Someone going through the motions and doing enough to get by wont cut it. Its not a standard i'd apply to most, if any, other jobs but i would where United are concerned.
It was but he was probably thinking to wait one more season, he can do another move on a free and get the salary he wants, especially considering it's a world cup year, he has a good world cup (which he is having), he'll have even more suitors come July.

MadMike

There are very clear routes to be fair. And he’s actively using them. Like his contract expiring again and him being available on a free. As @the_cliff said, it’s a World Cup year and he’s a starter for France. And lo and behold he’s having both a good season for Juve and a good World Cup. Someone will likely offer him the money.

Quite likely that someone would be us. If we add the 15-odd million we were willing to pay Juve for him last summer into the same 4-year contract offer we made for him, he gets the same net salary and we wind up with the exact same outlay.

Again, to blame the player for trying to maximise his earning power through his short career is rather silly. Players most often ask pay rises to come to us. I doubt Antony is paid what he was at Ajax and I very much doubt he would be here if we offered him less than his Ajax deal. It’s how the cookie crumbles.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
His quality is obvious. There is a reason PSG were so pissed off to lose him on a free. Plus Deschamps happily recalled him to the French set up after he rudely rejected a call up in 2014. He has even matured as an individual and isn't even a dressing room problem. He'd make for a very good signing. A player equally comfortable as a 6 like Casemiro, a deep lying play maker like Ericksen or a box to box terrier like Fred on his great days. I hope we are still interested. He'd save us a hell load of money like Ericksen has.

Canagel

He has been very good for Juventus this season. Probably his best season yet but there are suspicions he has only stepped up because he is in a contract season, there is every chance he may revert to type when he gets his move.

He was terrible in the last 3 years and is supposedly demanding 10m a season after 1 good season. It's not worth the risk.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
He has been very good for Juventus this season. Probably his best season yet but there are suspicions he has only stepped up because he is in a contract season, there is every chance he may revert to type when he gets his move.

He was terrible in the last 3 years and is supposedly demanding 10m a season after 1 good season. It's not worth the risk.
What would be that type? Rabiot has never been a player that cheats or don't give everything he has, last season he was often used out of position as a wide midfielder next to players that were doing worse.

AlexUTD

He's a considerably better footballer than Fred or McTominay, there's little doubt of that to anyone who watches football. He's also a better option to Eriksen for partnering Casemiro in many types of games, primarily where Eriksen's lack of engine becomes a problem for our team. He's at end of his contract and Ten Hag likes him (based on going for him last summer).

The end of off-pitch drama and the focus on football is paramount. I don't want another Raiola/Pogba situation. If Veronique can take a backseat then bring it.
Im pretty certain ive seen stats on tv where Eriksen ran the most kilometres i many matches of our players.

Gordon S

Im pretty certain ive seen stats on tv where Eriksen ran the most kilometres i many matches of our players.
He covers a lot of ground, but he is still slow, and rather soft defensively.

As we saw against Spurs, having a quicker, more aggresive b2b midfielder next to Casemiro can work wonders.
And gut feeling is not that Rabiot is much better than Fred was that night, but that Rabiot is a hell of a lot more consistent.

Canagel

What would be that type? Rabiot has never been a player that cheats or don't give everything he has, last season he was often used out of position as a wide midfielder next to players that were doing worse.
His poor level for the last 3 years.

He has scored more goals this season than the entire past 3 years put together. I don't believe this is simply the result of a positional change.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
He covers a lot of ground, but he is still slow, and rather soft defensively.

As we saw against Spurs, having a quicker, more aggresive b2b midfielder next to Casemiro can work wonders.
And gut feeling is not that Rabiot is much better than Fred was that night, but that Rabiot is a hell of a lot more consistent.
I also think that Fred lack of physique is a big issue for the type of player he is. I actually think EtH hoped Fred could work, but realized that his lack of press resistance (I dont even know how to word it, but Fred with the ball in our own half is a huge risk) is a big problem.

JPRouve

Scout
His poor level for the last 3 years.

He has scored more goals this season than the entire past 3 years put together. I don't believe this is simply the result of a positional change.
He hasn't had a poor level for 3 years though. Rabiot isn't a goalscorer, it's a defensive midfielder since when scoring goals is a metric?

Lecland07

Buying on the basis of the world cup isn't the best idea. Hasn't he been largely average for Juventus?

MadMike

Buying on the basis of the world cup isn't the best idea. Hasn't he been largely average for Juventus?
He had a mediocre season last season, like most Juve players. This season so far, he's been their best CM and certainly among the best 2-3 performers in the team.

Canagel

He hasn't had a poor level for 3 years though. Rabiot isn't a goalscorer, it's a defensive midfielder since when scoring goals is a metric?
He has been a goalscorer this season and displayed a high level.
Are you suggesting he has been as good as he is now throughout this entire period?
How do you justify his form this season while playing as a regular 8 when this was his position previously bar one season as a LM.

JPRouve

Scout
He has been a goalscorer this season and displayed a high level.
Are you suggesting he has been as good as he is now throughout this entire period?
How do you justify his form this season while playing as a regular 8 when this was his position previously bar one season as a LM.
Rabiot was above average to good before last season. Was he better than this season, probably not but reverting to type for Rabiot is to be a good hard working player. You seem to think that Rabiot normal level is not good which is wrong.

And Rabiot is 27, it's not particularly surprising for players to improve between 23 to 30 years old. It would be stranger if he didn't.

Canagel

Rabiot was above average to good before last season. Was he better than this season, probably not but reverting to type for Rabiot is to be a good hard working player. You seem to think that Rabiot normal level is not good which is wrong.

And Rabiot is 27, it's not particularly surprising for players to improve between 23 to 30 years old. It would be stranger if he didn't.
I think he was a good hard working player with potential to be great at PSG. He is realizing some of that potential now but for me he was disappointing and looked like someone that had regressed in his first years at Juventus.

Now if he were to keep this level through to next season and beyond I would happily concede to be wrong but for now I'm wary and based on prior form have enough reason to believe this year is most likely an anomaly and after his failed move here is playing out of his skin to get a bigger contract next summer.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Regardless of his performances he would be a bad signing regardless. The team has just been freed from Ronaldo. We really shouldnt ruin the squad by signing another huge ego. Its not like he is prime Scholes.

JPRouve

Scout
Regardless of his performances he would be a bad signing regardless. The team has just been freed from Ronaldo. We really shouldnt ruin the squad by signing another huge ego. Its not like he is prime Scholes.
That's a non issue. Rabiot isn't and hasn't been an issue for a dressing room and he doesn't have a huge ego. It's honestly strange how people think that he is something that he hasn't actually been.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
That's a non issue. Rabiot isn't and hasn't been an issue for a dressing room and he doesn't have a huge ego. It's honestly strange how people think that he is something that he hasn't actually been.
I dont follow him but I have read about him being unprofessional. I would rather not take any chance. Attitude problem is one thing we should avoid, the squad is brewing nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.