Adrien Rabiot | signs 1 year deal at Juventus. See you all next year

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverratedOpinion

I honestly think a lot of the people in this thread will be pleasently surprised when they see him play for us.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Genuinely intrigued why Juve made him the second highest paid player in Serie A - only behind Ronaldo - when they bought him. I was under the impression he was pretty underwhelming even at that point?
He was a free transfer so probably asked for a lot in wages because of that.

OverratedOpinion

Genuinely intrigued why Juve made him the second highest paid player in Serie A - only behind Ronaldo - when they bought him. I was under the impression he was pretty underwhelming even at that point?
Coming from PSG? He definitely wasn't underwhelming. Also wages in Serie A are low and free transfers often makeup their transfer fee in their wages.

BlueHaze

If we're going to panic buy I'd rather we spunk it all on the likes of Neves and Tielemans.

This is a shocking transfer, we'd be compounding the number of players we'd struggle to shift, not to mention adding more toxic personalities to an already overflowing snakepit. Club have well and truly lost it.
Leicester are demanding £25m for a guy with 1 year left on contract. They can feck themselves.

edcunited1878

Seems very much out of the blue, when it has been mentioned many times that Neves and Tielemans were considered alternative options after FdJ.

I've always had my reservations about this player, even before he went to Juve. United really need a warm body in central midfield (ideally 2 or 3), then he's someone I guess. The timing of it all seems horrible, but think the news about FdJ and Barca have finally forced United's hand. Even if United didn't lose yesterday, something is going on with FdJ.

Kaos

Leicester are demanding £25m for a guy with 1 year left on contract. They can feck themselves.
I'd still take that over giving Juventus £18million for a toxic asshat they've been desperate to get rid of.

Juve must absolutely love us. First giving them £85million for Pogba only for them to sign him back on a free, taking Ronaldo off their hands, and now paying them to take a player they've been desperate to bin. Hey while we're at it lets do them another favour and throw in another £20million for Arthur. They want him off their books too.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite
Seems very much out of the blue, when it has been mentioned many times that Neves and Tielemans were considered alternative options after FdJ.

I've always had my reservations about this player, even before he went to Juve. United really need a warm body in central midfield (ideally 2 or 3), then he's someone I guess. The timing of it all seems horrible, but think the news about FdJ and Barca have finally forced United's hand. Even if United didn't lose yesterday, something is going on with FdJ.
FDJ will be holding a blue Chelsea shirt next week, imo. As expected we're hitting the panic button after it didn't work out and Frenkie doesn't want to join us. Who saw that coming?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I reckon Juve would probably accept a lot less later (and earlier) in the window... Our timing after yesterday and I imagine our desire to get him in quickly probably doubles his price.

edcunited1878

FDJ will be holding a blue Chelsea shirt next week, imo. As expected we're hitting the panic button after it didn't work out and Frenkie doesn't want to join us. Who saw that coming?
I think the type of player identified as a replacement for FdJ, in this case Rabiot, is what is causing the shock. You would think United could have sorted out better alternatives than Rabiot, but maybe he actually was an alternative all along once it became clear that FdJ wasn't going to come to United for certain. But a Neves and Tieleman made a lot more sense than Rabiot.

Rabiot hasn't been too effective for a couple of years since PSG, where he was good...but the noise about his mother and stuff like that has clouded his reputation as a footballer. And I think Juve has been a mess for a few years now too, which is getting overlooked.

Scholsey2004

I think the type of player identified as a replacement for FdJ, in this case Rabiot, is what is causing the shock. You would think United could have sorted out better alternatives than Rabiot, but maybe he actually was an alternative all along once it became clear that FdJ wasn't going to come to United for certain. But a Neves and Tieleman made a lot more sense than Rabiot.

Rabiot hasn't been too effective for a couple of years since PSG, where he was good...but the noise about his mother and stuff like that has clouded his reputation as a footballer. And I think Juve has been a mess for a few years now too, which is getting overlooked.
Another tweet suggested our plan B was Ruiz from Napoli who's since been snapped up by PSG. Obviously we've spent so long on De Jong that our options have been gradually whittled away.

edcunited1878

I reckon Juve would probably accept a lot less later (and earlier) in the window... Our timing after yesterday and I imagine our desire to get him in quickly probably doubles his price.
But waiting this long for a player like FdJ, then knowing the domino effect it would have whether or not he'd sign for United, is something the club was willing to gamble on...for the sake of EtH. In this case, the club failed specacularly, even if they went about it in a reasonable and logical approach. We all knew it was going to take a long time for some type of end game to materialize and seems like the beginning of the end and United are having to go to their alternatives because now they cannot leave anything to doubt. I'm cool with that.

Nicoseth

Andrei Kanchelskis made me fall in love with Unite

100% - I think he's better than what we've got, but as you said, there are better alternatives out there. If the FDJ money is not spent we have a right to ask why not.

edcunited1878

Another tweet suggested our plan B was Ruiz from Napoli who's since been snapped up by PSG. Obviously we've spent so long on De Jong that our options have been gradually whittled away.
And again, at least the club has identified alternatives...but like you say, the longer you wait, the more limited things get.

So while you need better players in general, you still need players overall because the lack of depth and quality of depth.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
I honestly think a lot of the people in this thread will be pleasently surprised when they see him play for us.
We won't. He's bang average and we are being taken for a ride yet again. His metrics from last season were worse than Mctominay in almost every criteria listed.

I'm sorry but this isn't acceptable. He's a nothing player. Sideways football expert. Isn't particularly strong defensively or offensively. Just a nothing player.

edcunited1878

100% - I think he's better than what we've got, but as you said, there are better alternatives out there. If the FDJ money is not spent we have a right to ask why not.
If United do sign Rabiot, I don't think the wages will be an issue, it's the length of the contract. Fred's contract is over in two years and let's assume McTominay stays, but isn't starting much during league games (which really should be the case for two years now). But if Rabiot is the start of at least 2 to 3 new CMs between now and next season, knowing Eriksen can slot in there, then that's good in my book.

The lack of acutal central midfielders, knowing how important that position is, especially with only 2 mids in front of 2 CBs and not playing 3 CMs, it just unacceptable for so long....and the issue is now compounded by the way EtH wants to play.

DeGea’sFeet

These are points that have been answered to death. Yes, they own the club, so yes, it has now 'come out of their own pockets'. Yes, they have taken dividends, so what? The amount they have taken is a tiny proportion of what we have spent in fees and taking dividends is perfectly normal. Yes they plunged the club into a huge amount of debt but everything they did was perfectly legal.

We can not like the Glazers, that's fine. We can question how they have allowed so many incompetent people to run the business, that's fine.

When we start arguing that we haven't spent enough, we look silly and start losing the argument/any sympathy we might have
They put us £600m in debt to takeover the club. 15 years and £2b later in debt repayments we are still £600m in debt.

edcunited1878

We won't. He's bang average and we are being taken for a ride yet again. His metrics from last season were worse than Mctominay in almost every criteria listed.

I'm sorry but this isn't acceptable. He's a nothing player. Sideways football expert. Isn't particularly strong defensively or offensively. Just a nothing player.
Rabiot wouldn't be a negative liability like McTominay. Would happily persist with Fred, Rabiot, and Eriksen and then McTominay a distant 4th boarding on 5th choice if Garner can assert himself.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I can't believe this is happening. Especially when Arthur is/was right there instead.

Chief123

The only times I’ve seen him play was for PSG and I can’t deny he was impressive every time. I remember him being quite powerful in striding away with the ball and deceptively quick. I’ve no idea how he’s performed in Italy, but he was impressive quite a few times for PSG. His performances were certainly better than what I’ve ever seen McFred produce.

MuFc_1992

Tbh any midfielder will be an upgrade on McFred and we're kinda desperate here. I'm all for long term planning and getting the perfect players for the system but based on what we saw vs Brighton we'll struggle to finish in top 6 if we don't sign decent midfielders. Signings like these that are cheap can be easily discarded if they don't work out so, I don't see why CAF is so upset with this.

edcunited1878

At the end of the day, the potential of Rabiot being a better fit for the team and EtH is much, much greater than McTominay outright and Fred position dependent. Fred's floor can be very low at times, but he's a much better player than he showed yesterday. For McTominay, he's got a lower floor than Fred and his ceiling is low as well. Fred had a bad Fred type game, whereas McTominay was just McTominay - a total liability in the most important part of the pitch.

Need to get Rabiot out of Juve and get McTominay out of the starting XI.

Chairman Woodie

I don't think Rabiot is better than the midfielders already at United. I think he's average. But he should to be able keep a liability like McTominay out of the starting line-up.

caid

I'm starting to warm to this and Arnautovic in theory at least. The theory being that you go out and bring in De Jong or Nunes and Felix from Atleltico as well, which i guess wont happen.
Rabiot as competition for Fred and McTominay or cover for De Jong is potentially good business to be honest, not so much if you were asking on June 1st but today its not a bad option. I can see the attraction to a player like Arnautovic too, tactically if not so much personality wise.
They're squad options like Eriksen and would be welcome enough just to mix things up. They wont take away from more serious investment desperately needed alongside them. Thats the theory. It'll still be a total dogshit window if they're the only additions but i'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
Decent squad player. Big ego.

Fans will look at him in a strange way though when Juve buys Jorginho from that money and Chelsea finally goes for FdJ.

RedMilo

They put us £600m in debt to takeover the club. 15 years and £2b later in debt repayments we are still £600m in debt.
This 100%. People will argue they have spent money, THEY haven't, it was the club's money and they have taken money out themselves, irrespective of performances on the pitch.

They have no interest in paying down the debt, they said as much when challenged on it, during fan consultation.

They have not got a clue, they left ed woodward to oversee nearly a decade of mismanagement costing the clubs it's wealth and relevance in the game.

Manchester United are no longer considered a major draw for big players, qualification to the champions league is uncertain most seasons, and clubs/agents take advantage of our approach to recruitment.

The stadium is rotting, sponsors are starting to dry up and, and the sporting plan is non existent.

To top all that there is now a whole generation that think Man City is a bigger/better club than Utd.

Apart from that the Glazers have been feckin amazing...

Ted Lasso

Starting to warm to the idea. As others have said, if Rabiot were signed before the season started the outlook would have been different. We needed midfielders not named Fred and McTominay and we should have had signings in the ilk of Rabiot in early and on tour for pre season.

What was the holdup? That's the question with him and this Rodriguez chap.

Status
Not open for further replies.