Adults wearing replica football shirts...

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
What do we think?

My own opinion is as follows:

At a match: perfect.
Whilst playing sports/gym: fine.
At home/pub watching a match: All good.

Any other situation: wierd.

Also, the older you get, the more ludicrous you look whilst wearing another man's name on your back.

Obviously people can wear whatever they want but I reserve the right to laugh at the 45 year old wearing a tight "Gerrard 8" shirt down to Asda.

What says Redcafe? Are you a grown ass man who still rocks a replica down to Morrisons?

Posh Red

What do we think?

Also, the older you get, the more ludicrous you look whilst wearing another man's name on your back.

Obviously people can wear whatever they want but I reserve the right to laugh at the 45 year old wearing a tight "Gerrard 8" shirt down to Asda.

What says Redcafe? Are you a grown ass man who still rocks a replica down to Morrisons?
Agreed, although I also now would say that even wearing it to the pub seems a bit much.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I don't see anything wrong with wearing a football shirt.

Nero

Just about acceptable at a match, that's all.

Never been into the idea of buying football shirts anyway. I just see it as walking around in a t-shirt of whoever the shirt sponsor is.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
I reckon some of the posters in the kits thread would wear one to a funeral.

galwayfa

Think a middle aged man wearing one is weird, I remember I had 20 t-shirts of different utd players on them, jerseys too but when I hit 20, said this doesn't sit right with me, but that is just me

B4Keane - Robson

I've just ordered the new United away kit. Got a few from the 90s I wear to 5 aside, never wear them anywhere else but I may wear this one down the pub when watching United. Getting a name on the back seems a bit weird to me once you're over the age of, say, 16. Each to their own though obviously.

Morpheus 7

This is the confirmation thread I need to get Ronaldo 7 long sleeve. Some pricks on this forum, always love to judge.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Depends on the shirt. I'd say gotta be without the name on the back unless it's a legend. Some retro kit with Charlton or Muller or Van Basten would be pretty cool. Preferably black as well.( the kit not the legend)

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I like to buy kits for my lad, don’t wear them myself as I don’t feel right as a 30 year old in one.

Hectic

Supports
30fps
40 year old man wearing one - yeah that's a bit weird

40 year old man wearing one with the nipples area cut out - intriguing

Judas

Open to offers
Haven't bought one or really worn one since 2009/10. Doesn't really suit my style. Stopped wearing them to games around that time too.

I'm often tempted to buy them still, but I can't for the life of me think when I'd wear them. They look shite the majority of the time.

I think the shirts from ten plus years ago look much better though, maybe that's just a nostalgia thing.

Jed I. Knight

The Mos Eisley Hillbilly
I couldn’t care less.

In fact, inspired by this thread, I’ll wear my 2010/11 shirt with Fletcher on the back all day tomorrow

Fingeredmouse

What do we think?

Even at a match or down the pub is ropey.

...and full kit at 5s is controversial.

At a wedding though it could be a bold and edgey gambit that might just work.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
What do we think?

Generally agree with those though wouldn’t wear it to a pub to watch the match I don’t think.

stevoc

What do we think?

They didn't have a name on the back of their shirt but I seen a full kit wanker in his 30's last year in Sainsburys even had a matching hat on to complete the look.

pass.pass.pass

One of my friends has a plain red tee with the United badge on it. Red on red. Looks good in all situations.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
What do we think?

As I've got older, I definitely wouldn't have a player on my back, but some kits in general can look quite cool, retro kits as well for example.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
Yeh, I think it's weird too. Especially with a name/number on the back.

I buy them every year to wear around the house or when playing footy. I'd never have one on just out though. Seems odd.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Plain United shirt I can accept although it’s a bit odd as though they think they’re coming on at half time or something.

If I see someone with a United shirt and their own name on the back I’d think very strange but carry on with my day.

If I see a grown man with a United player’s name and number on the back then it’s time the alert the authorities.

Nero

I'm waiting patiently for someone to post the iconic FKW Liverpool fans. The guy on the bed being an obvious highlight.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
A shirt? who cares.

full kit? nah.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What do we think?

Pretty much as per your rules, although i'd feel a bit odd wearing it at a pub. Unless it's a pub very close to the ground where your team are playing that day.

It's when I think of your scale I always wonder why I bother buying a United shirt :)

With Wycombe, it's 2 years for a shirt, so I'll probably wear it 70-80 times at matches.

With United, it's 1 season for a shirt, and I'll probably be maxing out at 8 games.

Once you consider the freezing cold months, where you won't have the shirt out necessarily it does become interesting value, when you don't play football any more.

Worst value shirt I ever had was the Maguire one 2 seasons ago. The game I bought it at I didn't realise until I got home that they'd bodged the lettering up - very slanty :)

So I think I only actually saw about 3 games max that season for assorted reasons, and only 2 in the actual shirt I have now!

Syphon Wallet

I'm 43
Dont wear them unless I'm going to the match or watching an important game.
But at the same time there's nothing wrong with it for those that do.
Feel a bit divided about a name on the back, I've always got a blank one.... But I'm considering one this year with you know who on the back!

Nothing wrong with any of it, it's tribal, life is short.

pascell

Nothing wrong with wearing a United shirt at any age, in any situation in my opinion. I mean, you don't want people looking at you thinking you could be a scouser do you?!

Joeace2020

The fact that a thread like this is being created because of the buzz regarding kits again is like a throwback to the past. We are in demand again and I am loving it.

Reactions: Jippy

Hoof the ball

We make such a deal out of it in this country, don't we? In the States they wear team replicas well into retirement, but there's this weird faux-sensibility that in Britain where you should apparently start wearing trousers and buttoned up shirt post-35. :lol:

JinnerJamie

Small ginger
As long as you’re not wearing it to a regular life event or work (unless you’re a pro footballer), I see no problems at all.

Just don’t go full kit wanker… ever! (Again unless you’re a pro footballer)

LInkash

I haven't bought a replica shirt in about 20 years but I got carried away by the hype and ordered an authentic Ronaldo shirt. Not sure when I'm going to wear it haha.

Fox outside the box

What do we think?

Pretty much my view, though I try not to be judgemental because ultimately, it doesn't bother or affect me but I do find it a bit strange. I'm not even sure why, it's just a top haha. I feel like it's slightly pointless negativity so I typically just keep it to myself but inside I have the exact same criteria as this. I personally haven't bought a shirt since I was about 14, I'll probably get one with Ronaldo on and maybe wear it to games but outside of that it would only be something to have because it's almost a bit of memorabilia, I've harboured hopes of Ronaldo coming back almost every summer window since about 2012, so I might actually get just this year's.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I wouldn't wear it to the pub either.

I wear Chelsea tops around the house all the time, not just when I'm watching football. They're either stay at home tops or playing football/gym tops. That's about as far as it goes for me. It's why I've only bought one Chelsea top in the last decade.

I don't think there's anything weird about wearing one to the ground or to the pub to watch the game but I stopped doing that years ago. A nice half/half Chelsea/Spurs scarf should suffice.

Pogba's Barber

Supports
Droylsden FC
Why does anybody care what anybody else is wearing, unless they're a guest at your wedding?

People will wear whatever they like and are comfortable in, its all good

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I imagine it then becomes okay if it’s a basketball shirt?

Gee Male

It looks ridiculous on grown ups, anyone over 15 really. Even at matches for me.

Ireland has a worse problem - GAA jerseys. There's nothing less attractive than a bird in a GAA jersey.

I'm weird about this type of thing though, I don't like wearing any branded gear. Why anyone wants to walk around with a t shirt with (for example) HUGO BOSS in giant letters on it is beyond me. It looks so crass and shit.

macheda14

If it’s a retro shirt then I think you can wear it about. Also you see a lot of retro football shirts at music festivals.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Got nothing against people wearing the shirts, especially at games, but this aspect of it has always struck me as a bit odd for anybody above school age. Haven't had a kit since the long-sleeved version of this one, when I was 13:

I just remember it being the size of a fecking tent on me because it was at the absolute height of early 00s 'make everything as baggy as possible' fashion. Even looking back, it's aged about as well as the 80s short shorts. :lol:

LoneStar

It's the same as people wearing some print on their shirt, or people wearing artwork on their shirt. I don't see any difference. Either way, I don't care. I'll wear what I want, people be damned.