Adults wearing replica football shirts...

snk123

Where do you draw the line then?

Many people also think adults watching football with passion is also weird.
Adults following football clubs who have no connection or have never been to that city: weird

MadMike

At a match: perfect.
Whilst playing sports/gym: fine.
At home/pub watching a match: All good.

Any other situation: wierd.
Mostly agreed. I also wear my football jerseys when I sit down for a good session of FIFA on the PS, is that too weird?

youngrell

It always seems to be about 80% Liverpool fans who wear them shopping or to the pub (even if there's no game), so on that basis, I'm out.

Castia

I’m 37 and usually buy all 3 shirts. I usually only wear them for match says or just chilling around the house though.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with wearing a shirt in all honesty. Anybody getting a United top this year without Ronaldo 7 on the back is a weird cnut.

Abraxas

I think it's far stranger to buy one just for the gym because then it has to be washed constantly despite being used for an hour and they'll spoil quicker, they're ridiculously expensive for that function.

If you're going to buy one you may as well wear it.

KD6-3.7

I think the last time I bought a United kit or any other football kit was the 14/15 season.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
It’s a t-shirt. Just an item of clothing. I don’t understand the problem. Nothing wrong in showing support for your team, whatever the scenario/situation.
Those of you who have an issue with this are the weird ones…..

tenpoless

I think it's about the quantity not quality (who cares about replica vs authentic anyway).
In your house you can do whatever. When you're playing or watching football, wearing them is normal too. But outside of those....

Shirt without a number = fine to wear in most occasions, the more plain the better (no stupid oversized logos)
Shirt with a number for underrated players = fine to wear in most occasions as long as the place consists of other footy fans too, to show them you're a man of good football knowledge
Shirt with a number for well known players like Ronaldo and Messi = fine to wear only among their fans or for special occasion (e.g. them joining your club), looking like a massive fanboy otherwise
Shirt with a number for well known players + shorts = yellow flag, approaching Full Kit Wanker level
Shirt with a number for well known players + shorts + socks and boots = RED FLAG. Full Kit Wanker detected. It's a crime and the person needs to be fined/put in jail

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Nothing wrong with a football shirt, but there is if it has a players or your own name on the back...thats just childish.

Mike Smalling

It's fine to wear a replica shirt to watch a game in the stadium or the pub. Names on the back are strictly for kids though - there is something very strange about a fully grown man idolizing a 22 year-old footballer to that extent.

TsuWave

Redcafe has people that think wearing a shirt of the club you support and players you like is weird, but have Roy Keane as their point of reference for masculinity and post stuff like "if Keano was there XYZ player wouldn't"/"Keano would sort them out"

could never be me

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I haven't worn a football jersey since I was a kid but I see nothing wrong with it even if you're not attending the match itself. I think I draw the line when it comes to having the footballer's name on the back. Strickly for under 18s. Why, I have no idea. That's how I feel about it

Crustanoid

As others have alluded to already, it depends on the club. If it’s United, clearly it’s ok. Anyone else, I think it’s reasonable to invoke action. In terms of the law, I believe anything goes in terms of meting out punishment.

Infra-red

Each to their own and all that, but I'd say anyone over the age of about 14/15 wearing a football shirt in public while doing something other than playing football, is a bit cringey.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Speaking of wearing one to the ground, what's the consensus on wearing football tops on top of hoodies? That's another one I see ridiculed quite a lot.

Chipper

Adulterer.
None for me. Saw a bloke the other day in a Liverpool shirt with Salah on the back and he must have been in his 60s. Don't really get idolising someone 30 years younger than you, more the kind of thing you do as a child/teen.

Of course, wear what you want, like the things you like, everyone's entitled to do that. Everyone is also entitled to think they (and you if you're wearing one) looks shit and I suppose how we often decide what we want to wear or avoid wearing is how we think clothes look on others. Kind of the point of models, shop dummies etc. They wouldn't exist if that wasn't a thing.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
It's bad outside of going to the game.

But what's worse is having tacky stuff in your house like a football themed wall clock.

ChaddyP

What do we think?

My own opinion is as follows:

At a match: perfect.
Whilst playing sports/gym: fine.
At home/pub watching a match: All good.

Any other situation: wierd.

Also, the older you get, the more ludicrous you look whilst wearing another man's name on your back.

Obviously people can wear whatever they want but I reserve the right to laugh at the 45 year old wearing a tight "Gerrard 8" shirt down to Asda.

What says Redcafe? Are you a grown ass man who still rocks a replica down to Morrisons?
Im glad this culture isn't in the western hemisphere. We wear our jerseys any where we want with no stigma. To the mall movies beach... Doesn't matter. Its just a shirt.

Lentwood

Yeah, basically agree with OPs lists of 'acceptable scenario's to wear a football shirt'.

I don't think a grown adult should just be wandering about in one...although that being said, I did just buy our 3rd kit (first time I have bought a shirt in 6yrs) and I'm desperate to wear it somewhere

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
I wear one:

Playing football
At a game
Slobbing about the house

I don't really give a toss about people wearing them casually though. Just a t-shirt really innit?

el diablorojo

Supports
Brentford
My own rules are it's fine to wear one:
  • To a match
  • To a theme park
  • On holiday
Never wear it anywhere else to be fair.

mu4c_20le

I wear one:

Playing football
At a game
Slobbing about the house

I don't really give a toss about people wearing them casually though. Just a t-shirt really innit?
It is....until you put on a name and number

Nick7

I wear them at home, in addition to games, and if I'm quickly running to the shops or something.