AFC Asian cup 2019

Giggsyking

I thought I can start a thread for the competition that is taking place on 5th of January 2019 and the final will be played on the 1st of February.

If South Korea reach the final.. Spurs forward Son will miss Chelsea league cup, united EPL, Fulham EPL, Chelsea LC, Watford EPL and Newcastle EPL.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think I read somewhere Iran are the tallest team in this tournament. Just a fun fact.

T_Model101

Wait what did South Korea already win this season?
Seems hard to believe there's two international competitions in one year

Ballache

Supports
Martial
First time we (Lebanon) qualify to this so I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully we can pull off qualification to the 2nd round and play well.

Giggsyking

First time we (Lebanon) qualify to this so I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully we can pull off qualification to the 2nd round and play well.
Hej Kompis :D!
Well for Iraq, we qualified to the semifinals in the last competition in Australia. Hope we get a good run this time too.

Guoan

Supports
Beijing Guoan
I'll settle for a winner from East Asia.

I'm also interested in seeing how well the South East Asian teams do. I watched the AFF Suzuki Cup and that was a lot of fun with a cracking atmosphere at most games, though last 16 would probably be the limit for them.

Also watch out for Qatar, their results of late have been reasonable with a victory against Ecuador and a draw against Switzerland.

Last edited:

RochaRoja

Pretty crappy that Etheridge has agreed not to play for the Philippines in the first major tournament in the nation’s history.

It’s not like it’s going to make much difference for his club career by staying. He’s done enough to get a Premier League move if Cardiff go down anyway.

Plg91

I'll settle for a winner from East Asia.

I'm also interested in seeing how well the South East Asian teams do. I watched the AFF Suzuki Cup and that was a lot of fun with a cracking atmosphere at most games, though last 16 would probably be the limit for them.

Also watch out for Qatar, their results of late have been reasonable with a victory against Ecuador and a draw against Switzerland.
I’m livin in Vietnam. The atmosphere during the AFF finals is absolutely incredible. Fans here are totally crazy.

Water Melon

Do first two teams from each group qualify to knock-outs? Uzbekistan should qualify, hopefully.

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Who's carrying this in the UK?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Expecting India to lose every game

Hanks

Some thoughts on the groups:

Group A: UAE, Thailand, India, Bahrain
The hosts couldn't have picked an easier group for themselves even if they tried. It's by far the weakest group of the tournament and perhaps the dullest one as well.

Group B: Australia, Syria, Palestine, Jordan
On paper, Australia is head and shoulders better than others. But they're missing Mooy and have before struggled beating Arab teams when playing in the Middle East, so I don't think it'll be straight forward with them. Syria was great at WCQ and I back them to come second.

Group C: South Korea, China, Kyrgyzstan, Philippines
Should be a cruise for South Korea and China. But then again, you can never know with China. All 4 teams are from the central/east Asia, so this group easily stands out compared to the other ones.

Group D: Iran, Iraq, Vietnam, Yemen
Iran-Iraq games are always very fierce and competitive. It'll be more so this time, after the controversial QF match 4 years ago when Iran had a player sent off before the half-hour mark, yet came from behind twice to secure a 3-3 draw, only to lose on penalties.

Group E: Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Lebanon, North Korea
Saudi Arabia vs. Qatar in UAE. Geopolitical poetry! shame N.Korea sucks these days, else this group would have been very competitive among 4 teams.

Group F: Japan, Uzbekistan, Oman, Turkmenistan
Japan's squad is filled with younger players and injecting a new generation and team ahead of 2022 WCQ. They should still wipe the floor with all other teams in the group as Uzbekistan is much weakened these days. A rare central Asian derby between Uzbeks and Turkmens as well.

In Europe, Eurosport has broadcasting rights...if anyone has satellite, BeIN Sports Arabic will show all matches. As well as specific Asian countries.

https://afcasiancup2019live.com/broadcasting-tv-channel-list/

Iran and South Korea haven't won this tournament in almost over FOUR decades. With Japan introducing many youngsters and Australia not being at their best, it's the best chance for Iran and Korea to finally end their draught. Having said that, I wouldn't discount the Saudis either...They last won the tournament in 1996 in UAE.

Xavi has predicted Qatar to win it all though :lol:

MDFC Manager

Xavi has predicted Qatar to win it all though :lol:
Surprise surprise :lol:

I'm hoping we (India) give a decent account of ourselves and won't be totally routed. Should have a decent amount of support for our matches too.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pretty crappy that Etheridge has agreed not to play for the Philippines in the first major tournament in the nation’s history.

It’s not like it’s going to make much difference for his club career by staying. He’s done enough to get a Premier League move if Cardiff go down anyway.
Really surprised by that, he was always off playing for the Phillipines when he was at Walsall.

With FA cup he would only miss I think two Cardiff fixtures especially as Phillipines will probably not get past the group stage.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Was wondering how likes of India and all the other weak countries got into this...yep another regional tournament that has gone up from 16 to 24 teams!

How long before Copa America just becomes a permanent combined tournament with US and rest of Concacaf.

RochaRoja

Any Vietnamese posters here? I’ve heard they’ve got a good young side coming through and are predicted to be the next big thing in Asian football.

Would be great if true. Maybe we could even see a South East Asian nation make it to the expanded WC.

RochaRoja

How long before Copa America just becomes a permanent combined tournament with US and rest of Concacaf.
Would actually love that tbh. It sucks when they invite sides from outside the Americas to make up the numbers and the Gold Cup is pretty much a waste of time anyway.

kudiak

Supports
Semen Padang FC
I'm Indonesian, looking forward for this turnament, despite Indonesia do not attend this year, but Ok.
I think South Korea and Iran will be serious contender for this edition.

kudiak

Supports
Semen Padang FC
Any Vietnamese posters here? I’ve heard they’ve got a good young side coming through and are predicted to be the next big thing in Asian football.

Would be great if true. Maybe we could even see a South East Asian nation make it to the expanded WC.
Yeps, i think Thailand will go further.
Vietnam in tricky group, they will fight with Iraq for 2nd place.
Philippines in tough group and their performance in AFF not good enough, but i hope Sven Goran Erikson has magic touch.

Good luck ASEAN Team! ;)

Winrar

My current favorite is Iran which I think is the best AFC team around right now with Queiroz making their team a well organized unit (or at least appears that way to me due to our terrible recent record vs them). Add to the fact that we are ill fated in this competition with last title dating some 60 years back. Who knows, maybe Son can pull a rabbit out of a hat this time or something.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Qatar’s team is pretty good now in fairness to Xavi. Afif and Almoez are both very good, especially at Asian level. They’ll cause issues for any team they play and they’ve improved a lot defensively in the past couple of years.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see them win their group, Saudi’s flatter to deceive for me and are absolutely horrific at the back at times. Watched all their recently friendlies and bar a really good first 25 minutes v Bolivia, they’ve been poor/average.

Iran will be there or there abouts, most boring team on earth to watch though, once they go 1-0 up they have zero interest in scoring anymore.

Syria and Uzbekistan probably the two most likely ‘surprise’ sides but both are 2nd seeds so guess it would only be surprising to non Asian followers.

Wu Lei is one to watch for China. Was incredible all season for Sipg, he nice to see him replicate his club form.

Manowar

Here. I live in Hanoi btw @RochaRoja
Yes we do have an exciting young crops of players, still they are not at the level to disrupt the current hierarchy in the region, yet. I expect them to lose to Iran, have a great fight with Iraq and finish 3rd of the group. Might snatch 2nd place though as morale as high as ever after the Suzuki cup win.
We have decent coach after a while and our teamwork and harmony are awesome. If only our athletic genes are a bit better.

Reactions: Rood

goofygoofygoofy

Random questions:
1. Is there any chance this tournament will be moved to the summer?
2. Is the AFC pondering introducing their own Nations League?

RochaRoja

Yeps, i think Thailand will go further.
Vietnam in tricky group, they will fight with Iraq for 2nd place.
Philippines in tough group and their performance in AFF not good enough, but i hope Sven Goran Erikson has magic touch.

Good luck ASEAN Team! ;)
I don’t expect much from the Pinoy team. Aside from the Younghusband brothers, it’s a pretty inexperienced squad at international level and quite a few players in the squad are mestizo European based players who hadn’t even been capped until a few months ago. Korea and China in the first two games is a nighmare draw but at least Son won’t be playing in the opener I guess.

Thailand will be interesting to watch. Their group isn’t too tough so they could do well. I noticed recently that their futsal team is ranked in the top 20 in the world so there’s clearly footballing talent there.

It’s great to see growth in the ASEAN region. :)

RochaRoja

Random questions:
Well it starts on Sunday so that would be pretty late notice. Also, a summer tournament in the UAE is not feasible.

As the next edition will be held in either China or Korea, it will be played in the northern summer in 2023 though.

Manowar

Random questions:
2. Is the AFC pondering introducing their own Nations League?
1. Summer in most Asean countries is brutal, really hot and humid, not a great time for competitive football. Remember World Cup in Korea & Japan? And their summers are considered mild compared to many other countries.
2. No idea about it, but it might works in theory, currently there are too many region/local competitions for my liking.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
If South Korea reach the final.. Spurs forward Son will miss Chelsea league cup, united EPL, Fulham EPL, Chelsea LC, Watford EPL and Newcastle EPL.
Son is leaving for Asian Cup after the game vs us

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Qatar’s team is pretty good now in fairness to Xavi. Afif and Almoez are both very good, especially at Asian level. They’ll cause issues for any team they play and they’ve improved a lot defensively in the past couple of years.
Wouldn’t be surprised to see them win their group, Saudi’s flatter to deceive for me and are absolutely horrific at the back at times. Watched all their recently friendlies and bar a really good first 25 minutes v Bolivia, they’ve been poor/average.

Iran will be there or there abouts, most boring team on earth to watch though, once they go 1-0 up they have zero interest in scoring anymore.

Syria and Uzbekistan probably the two most likely ‘surprise’ sides but both are 2nd seeds so guess it would only be surprising to non Asian followers.

Wu Lei is one to watch for China. Was incredible all season for Sipg, he nice to see him replicate his club form.
Are all the Qatar emerging players all from there? I remember a spell a few years ago when they were giving passports to Brazil and Uruguay players playing in their league so was getting the impression they'd try to pull that trick for 2022 WC.

Giggsyking

Are all the Qatar emerging players all from there? I remember a spell a few years ago when they were giving passports to Brazil and Uruguay players playing in their league so was getting the impression they'd try to pull that trick for 2022 WC.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...fielded-ineligible-Brazilian-born-player.html

after the Emerson case the fifa changed the rules

FIFA suspended Emerson after discovering he had represented Brazil at youth level under his former name, Marcio Passos De Albuquerque.
However, it cleared Qatar of wrongdoing, despite competition rules stating any team 'found guilty of fielding an ineligible player shall forfeit the match in question.'

The rules now is:
a player who is born from foreign parents and get a passport of the a new country should play two seasons in that new country before being able to play for the national team of the new country.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot

It's not "pretty crap".....it's a totally absurd decision.