AFCON Egypt 2019

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Considering how long the ball was in the air, could the keeper not have back tracked a bit? Or am I being harsh?

Member 90887

It's really nice to see a team having some urgency in their play.

Algeria are winning, but they play with the urgency of a team that's losing an looking to score.

Member 90887

No big chances so far in this game. It's a bit cagey. The two teams don't want to take risks.

Member 90887

That was never a freekick. Mane is throwing himself to the ground.

el3mel

The early goal set the pace. Algeria aren't forced to risk attacking and Senegal have been underwhelming going forward in the tournament anyway.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The early goal set the pace. Algeria aren't forced to risk attacking and Senegal have been underwhelming going forward in the tournament anyway.
At this point I'd go for it, what's the worse that could happen? You're losing already.

Have a friend that flew over from the states to watch the final, for his sake hope that Senegal make this more of a contest.

Member 90887

Yeah. I think that Senegal doesn't want to take too many risks anyway. They won't risk a counter from this Algerian team.

It'll be way more open in the second half.

NYAS

:lol:

Alright guys. Elbowing opponents with VAR in use is totally acceptable. Good to know.

Member 90887

How the hell is that a freekick for Senegal!
It should have been for Algeria + a yellow for the Senegalese player.

el3mel

Senegal have been far better by the end of the half I believe. Algeria look content defending their goal.

I hope the final doesn't end by that early deflected goal.

Member 90887

Difficult game this.

Algeria scoring early made it even more difficult. Algeria less attacking than usual and Senegal not wanting to take any risk to avoid a counter.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions
There is every chance this ends 1-0, unless maybe Senegal gets a penalty (like they seem to run to the ref crying for at every touch in the box). Senegal have been a bit blunt in the attack all tournament and Algeria won’t be opening up the game with their one-goal lead. And you can’t blame them, it’s a final to be won and their lead might just be sufficient.

el3mel

I thought Senegal deserved a pen at that clash by the end of the half which lead to a corner, though Sadio Mane should have been sent off earlier as well.

Terrible ref for such a big game.

Member 90887

I thought Senegal deserved a pen at that clash by the end of the half which lead to a corner, though Sadio Mane should have been sent off earlier as well.

That was a definite yellow, it wouldn't have been out of place as a red card as well. Same for the penalty, both touched the ball but you could argue that the defender touched the ball and the foot of the player.

The ref was nowhere near good enough this game. He started well though. Hopefully he doesn't cost any of the two teams the game.

el3mel

That was a definite yellow, it wouldn't have been out of place as a red card as well. Same for the penalty, both touched the ball but you could argue that the defender touched the ball and the foot of the player.

The ref was nowhere near good enough this game. He started well though. Hopefully he doesn't cost any of the two teams the game.
The problem is there's a VAR. :lol: Why is he not checking it ?

Member 90887

Senegal doesn't look like scoring at all. Algeria have their number and look at ease in defense.

They should try something else. Aliou sisse should be more adventurous in this second half.

Member 90887

A big plus in this can that wasn't mentionned enough is the quality of the pitches. All the games I watched so far were on nice pitches. It's good to see for Africa and Egypt.

Member 90887

Right, this is a yellow. Well done ref. You can't find a worse foul to give a yellow for...

el3mel

A big plus in this can that wasn't mentionned enough is the quality of the pitches. All the games I watched so far were on nice pitches. It's good to see for Africa and Egypt.
I was going to say that by the end of the game. :D Ignoring our trash national team, that was a brilliant success in organizing the tournament and the pitches were great. There're at least some here who can do their job properly.

Fanatic 00237

Supports
The Indomitable Lions

I would tend to disagree with both of you. Besides the calls for which the VAR assistants could have intervened, I think the ref is handling the game quite well. Even without dishing out loads of cards, he is controlling the players alright. Some of the arguable calls you both noted are definitely arguable, like the penalty not awarded for the ball kicked out almost together by the Algerian defender and Senegalese striker. The refereeing hasn’t been as controversial as you both make it seem.

Member 90887

The hoof ball played by Senegal is sleep inducing, they have no gameplan other than that
Yeah, someone said in this thread a while back that they have no game plan and this game at least validate that. The Algerian manager is clearly out smarting the Senegalese one.

el3mel

I would tend to disagree with both of you. Besides the calls for which the VAR assistants could have intervened, I think the ref is handling the game quite well. Even without dishing out loads of cards, he is controlling the players alright. Some of the arguable calls you both noted are definitely arguable, like the penalty not awarded for the ball kicked out almost together by the Algerian defender and Senegalese striker. The refereeing hasn’t been as controversial as you both make it seem.
The problem is both these calls were big ones that could have affected the course of the match.