AFCON Egypt 2019

el3mel

Ended 1-0. After a good first half that was such a worrying and disappointed second half. Lots of improvement need to be done and that includes Salah too. Trezeguet being subbed out literally killed our attack or so.

el3mel

Tomorrow matches :

DR Congo vs Uganda
Nigeria vs Burundi
Guinea vs Madagascar

el3mel

I thought Salah looked good in the first half.
He started the match pretty well, during the first 15 minutes or so but the rest of the match he was only focused on scoring a goal himself.

Last edited:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Uganda 2 up on DR Congo, 20 minutes left.

Bit of an early shock.

HakeemTheDreamOlajuwon

Supports
Real Madrid
Uganda 2 up on DR Congo, 20 minutes left.

Bit of an early shock.
Uganda have been decent for the last 2 years, thet almost went to the last world cup and they were only bested by Egypt
their victory against Congo is no suprise to me and they played good football as well , they really could top this group ahead of Egypt

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Uganda have been decent for the last 2 years, thet almost went to the last world cup and they were only bested by Egypt
their victory against Congo is no suprise to me and they played good football as well , they really could top this group ahead of Egypt
Wasn't it Congo that Egypt beat on the last day?

Iwobi created a glorious chance that was wasted a few minutes ago

haram

I will be in Egypt while this is on. Hopefully they are still in the tournament.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
How did Nigeria play ? A bit like us yesterday ? @adexkola
Very wasteful in front of goal. A lot of intricate buildup but either the final pass or shot was missing. Thought the team defended well for the most part, Ekong was a rock.

That assist was utterly absurd
Indeed. Wrongfooted the entire defense.

el3mel

Very wasteful in front of goal. A lot of intricate buildup but either the final pass or shot was missing. Thought the team defended well for the most part, Ekong was a rock.
We did similar things in the first half yesterday before dropping down in second half. I think big teams are going to gain more momentum the more matches they play.

Bearded One

So happy my team Nigeria won but boy, what a nervy one it was. Aina (LB) was my MOTM. Central defense was a bit all over the place. Maybe Balogun will help but I thought Ekong did great.

Ndidi was imperous as always as was Etebo. Mikel was terrible and rightly got subbed off allowing Iwobi to come to the number 10 position and allowing Musa to come on killing them with pace at outside left.

I was so excited to see Chukwueze of Villareal play but he was underwhelming. Boy has world class potential. Up top the new boy was gash. Didn't worry the Burundi defense till Ighalo came in and showed why he's still Nigeria's number 1 forward.

el3mel

1-1.

Madagascar score their first ever goal in AFCON history. Huge moment for them.

el3mel

Tomorrow matches :

Morocco - Namibia
Senegal - Tanzania
Algeria - Kenya

Some big teams kicking off their start to the tournament.

el3mel

Indeed. I was following this more passively than the first two matches of the day (having the distraction of Peru v Brazil and Norway v Australia in other competitions initially) but as the match progressed, I got more and more captivated.
Yeah exactly. I predicted this to be the worst match out of the 3 today, but ended up being great thanks to Madagascar efforts.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Pity the commentator in Madagascar game looking at their two scorers!

Bearded One

If you are referring to Samuel Chukwueze I'd say he didn't have a particularly good game by his standards. He was a bit selfish early on and broke down a few attacks. But having watched him quite a bit at club level, its safe to say that he played below his level and the boy will be a star in the near future (ceteris paribus).

That said, even though he didn't do too well I thought he was our most dangerous player in the first half. At the start of the second half he was not really seeing the ball. My personal opinion on that is that his teammates weren't feeding him anymore because he was a bit selfish in the first half.

He also had moments of brilliance when he skipped past a few opposition players only to get unlucky with the follow up shot.

That's my sense of how he fared yesterday.